"Gamer Entitlement": Current state of gaming journalism and industry

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Don't like how the game is looking to turn out to be? Nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it. Vote with your wallet. If you did put down your money for the game, and you're upset, you have every right to criticize it to death, and if the develop is smart they'll listen to you. but you got what you paid for, and you're not entitled to some emotional compensation because something didn't work out the exact way you wanted. Unless you can prove blatant false advertising, like in the case of WarZ, you have to live with your purchase.
+1

What bothers me about the fucking video game community is that it is WAY too democratized. A certain amount of fan participation and dialogue is good, but people seem to feel a sense of ownership over characters and design that needs to be kept in check. The company makes the games and you play them; if you don't like the games, you don't buy them, and you are free to complain. But the larger video game community needs to realize that DmC or Mass Effect or any other game is made BY professionals FOR consumer TO make money, and that they aren't being "ostracized" or "cut out of the loop" or "abandoned" should a developer move forward without the express written consent of the entire fanbase.

People make new things like old things because they want to appeal to the people who liked the old things, and not because they feel they have an existential duty to preserve the spiritual sanctity of Dante's hairstyle. And if they choose to appeal to new people, and maybe even people who didn't like the old thing, then those who are no longer catered to need to stop taking it so goddamn personally, and they especially need to stop passive-aggressively trying to tank the sales of the new thing with half-truths and hyperbole.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Grunt_Man11 said:
Just ask the creators of this reboot.
I admit i didn't follow this series...at all but...i thought that fell through because the network cancelled it. Was there a bit more in the fan backlash department?

Also, it wasn't all bad for them..the guys who made that managed to find some success with making this movie series:

I will ask though...what was the character development and story pacing like in the thundercats reboot? I admit this is a specific question, but i have a reason for it.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
The fact that there IS a sizable and significant proportion of the gaming community who ARE self entitled, never-satisfied, ranting and raving children, is the reason I did a 180 and back the heck away from it. I almost never read game forums or commentary. I barely touch the blogs and content except for people I trust will give me something objective, worthwhile and mature. The cases of poor and shameful behaviour from elements in the community are far to numerous to list here, but honestly, anybody still debating its existence is in denial. Our community does need to grow up, if being 'taken seriously' is so important to it.

In the end, while gaming and the Net has been a haven for the bullied and the marginalised, it has simultaneously allowed for quite a lot of that to go on. It isn't RATIONAL how some people are about Mass Effect 3's ending, or whatever other crusade is being blindly followed to the ends of human wit. It's not 'betrayal', or a 'kick in the teeth', and not even 'a spit in the face'. It IS what it IS, and most adults in other areas of life are able to deal with that in a respectful and SELF respecting manner.

That's my two cents. I won't give any more, because frankly, I've been happier playing games and enjoying them rather than arguing and being 'the victim' about them. A significant percentage of the community online IS toxic and it made me hate gaming for a time. It's unhealthy.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Dexter111 said:
Don't let sycophants like Draech discourage you, good thread and I loved those pics, here is some more, this shit is hilarious :p

"Gaming Journalism" of the best sort. I didn't know about this stuff before since I don't particularly care about the game (haven't played any of them).

They will learn the hard way to respect their customers when their stocks start falling and places have to start shutting down :p
the game did get pretty heavily review bombed with negative 'user' reviews, which is probably whats being referred to.

I'm saying this as someone who was skeptical about the reboot, enjoyed the gameplay of the demo, but was put off by the rather foul mouthed boss banter that just felt too much like a 4channer on rull rage and misogyny mode than the sort of cheesy charm I liked from the series.

Did I feel betrayed? No.

Did i start ranting, raving and spewing bile? No.

Did i feel a bit disappointed and reminded of what Warrior Within did to Sands of Time? Yes.

I decided the game wasn't for me, and moved on. I didn;t act like a child, and act like it was the worst thing ever, and I was owed 'better' than this.

As for ME3... still haven't gotten around to play it, but honestly, I'm more angry with the people who decided a stock photo justified dropping huge, unmarked, shocking spoilers into their rants just so they could ruin the moment for anyone else coming after.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I was going to say "Not this fucking buzzword again" but I'm pleased now. Feel entitled to whatever the fuck you want doesn't mean anything and it's not a valid criticism ever.