Gamer Petitions Infinity Ward for Color Blind Option in Modern Warfare 2

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
This petition of course comes on the back of the success by interneter's to make developers create a special olympics version of Bejing 2008...

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
This is one of the most simple of adjustments that could be made. Hopefully they implement a patch, maybe leaving it optional for the whiners.

There are a bunch of games that have this sort of feature incidentally, like Peggle. I stumbled upon the colorblind option there one day and thought it was so cool that they were thoughtful/proactive enough to include it.

People with impairments are gamers too, and there are plenty of smaller ways in which the industry could be more accommodating.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mcface said:
I don't want skulls and peace signs in my WAR game ffs.
I'd rather not feel like i am playing a game made for 14 year old emo kids.
Then *gasp* don't turn on the option.

Look at the god damn uniform they are wearing, and shoot them if they are not what your team wears. it. is. simple. And I plenty plenty of games where there are no names at all, and I do just fine.
I don't really think many people pay attention to uniforms when they're in a heated firefight. Anything that makes it easier to distinguish friend from foe is good in my book.

Casual gamers need their hand held, I understand. but dont *****.
You clearly didn't even read the petition. They are politely asking for a simple addition to a game that could make it much more accessible for many people. They are not going "WAH WAH WAH, WE WANT COLOR-BLIND OPTION!", they're going "IW, could you please add this?"

They are not bitching, and I don't understand how you can draw the conclusion that they are somehow "casual" gamers because they're requesting the game to be more accessible to more people. So being sight-disabled makes you "casual"? If that's the case, than anyone in a wheel-chair, broken toe, or even glasses (I.E. me) is a "casual" gamer when that's clearly not the case. The difference is that there's no reason why this option shouldn't be included now as it should be minimal programing.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Having fallen victum to such annoyances in other games, im definetly going to sign. (note to a lesser extent, small text on blue backgrounds being annoyingly hard to read due to slight colour blindness) so i can generally understand the frustration.

But why are they being called whiners, when they are petitioning for something which they actually need to play the game, and wont take about i dont know half an hour to patch if theve got the code handy, i dont really see swaping a few colours taking more time than that myself, instead of something which is technically non essentail, such as the said server browser argument since the game can actually be played without it.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
This is probably the only petition that ive seen this year that acually makes sence and would acually hurt the developer if they didnt implament it.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Mcface said:
cobra_ky said:
This is about as stupid as Assassin's Creed not having subtitles. Actually it's even dumber considering how easy it would be to fix. Seriously, how hard is it to have a deaf guy and colorblind guy playtest your game? Isn't that a lot better than alienating entire groups of potential customers?

Mcface said:
Play hardcore mode. simple.

and you can tell the allies/hostiles apart by..you know.. actually LOOKING at what kind of camo/clothing they are wearing. It just proves the casual noobness COD has turned into, to where you dont even look at your targets anymore to see friend or foe, you just shoot when a name pops up.

you are color blind, not blind.

If everyone with some kind of problem had their own pettition it would be impossible to ever make games.

Dyslexic people are going to petition to have an option to change the format of the wording and handicap people will now want to play with their minds, and if IW doesn't comply, they are obviously discriminating. They shouldn't have to spend the time, money and resources going through and patching everything for a very small amount of people.
As far as I know, formatting text differently doesn't help dyslexics at all. And while there is an industry based on creating accessible controllers for the handicapped, actually implementing it would require a drastic amount of design changes. This, however, could easily be fixed with the next patch: as someone suggested, stick a skull in front of enemy names and a peace sign or whatever in front of friendlies. If such a simple fix would ensure more people will play and enjoy your game, i don't see why Infinity Ward wouldn't want to do it.

Also, there's a reason the color-coded name pops up in the first place. it's a hell of a lot harder to determine "friend or foe" by uniform alone. In some situations it's impossible, which is why friendly-fire incidents occur surprisingly often in actual combat situations.
I don't want skulls and peace signs in my WAR game ffs.
I'd rather not feel like i am playing a game made for 14 year old emo kids.

Look at the god damn uniform they are wearing, and shoot them if they are not what your team wears. it. is. simple. And I plenty plenty of games where there are no names at all, and I do just fine.

Casual gamers need their hand held, I understand. but dont *****.
Why are you making this such a big deal, it could easily be fixed by a small patch, and it could have a setting of on or off depending on what the developers feel like implatmenting (skull and peace sign for example).

And if you havent noticed, most of the uniforms in MW2 are different colours, the russian wear is usually red while the US is usually the normal urban camo.

And also, i know a hardcore guy thats colour blind, he's on my friends list and he says that his colour blindness is a big handicap, sure you can tell the uniforms apart sometimes but when your sprinting and not directly looking at your targets its hard to tell if their friendly or enemy. When you see someone in your periferal vision its hard to tell their uniforms exacly, so its harder.

So why dont you stop bitching about something that i can almost gaurenty wont effect you, and if it does it wont affect you much. Maybe you should think about other people before yourself sometimes.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Now here's an online petition with some good intentions. They've got my support, although how Infinity Ward might modify the game's code to allow a color-blind option is something beyond my ken.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
This would be easy enough to fix. They could just make it a free download and it would be solved, not too complicated. Hopefully they just do it and don't let it become a big issue.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"because unlike certain other Modern Warfare 2 petitions,"

You're right, the arrogant "we know best" attitude displayed by IW/Activision was really something we should of all shut up about and simply taken up the arse.

Anyway, hopefully they'll listen to this.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
elvor0 said:
HotFezz8 said:
I'm red/green colour blind (as are 10% or so of men), so i think im entitled to say:

WHAT?!? you actually fucking care enough about a game to write in to the MAKERS to *****??

and so what if you can't tell friend from foe? shoot them both. it makes for a more fun game experience, and its a fucking GAME. they don't die. there is no harm done. grow up and chill out.

christ next there will be a petition to make so and so bullet proof or something. its a minor problem you can work around massively easily. i don't notice a problem playing games, the only reason i would raise a petition like that is for attention.
You're on a GAMING website complaining about people caring about games? Besides, constantly being Teamkilled does NOT make for a more exciting experience just a more irritating one, adding in a colour blind mind is hardly a massive amount of work and is beneficial to everyone. Sheesh

And besides who are you supposed to write to about changing the game aside from the makers? Yeah okay I'm going to ask the escapist to change it, hell I'll ask Gordan fooking Brown, anyone aside from the people who actually maintain and created the game.

Oh and in your words "chill out", you're the most abrasive in the thread thus far.
there is enjoying gameplay and then taking it too far. i would accept this argument from a military sim player like OFDR, where dying is a real problem, but you play CD6 to live fast and die quickly. why in gods name would you petition the makers to change it unless you really cared, to a creepy sort of level about how you did.

what? simply playing it isn't enough? your going to kick up a fuss and make excuses everytime your killed?? if it really bothers you change your fucking game.
Theres the door.

We take gaming seriously on this website because its a serious topic.

If you don't believe it, well, get out.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
HotFezz8 said:
elvor0 said:
HotFezz8 said:
I'm red/green colour blind (as are 10% or so of men), so i think im entitled to say:

WHAT?!? you actually fucking care enough about a game to write in to the MAKERS to *****??

and so what if you can't tell friend from foe? shoot them both. it makes for a more fun game experience, and its a fucking GAME. they don't die. there is no harm done. grow up and chill out.

christ next there will be a petition to make so and so bullet proof or something. its a minor problem you can work around massively easily. i don't notice a problem playing games, the only reason i would raise a petition like that is for attention.
You're on a GAMING website complaining about people caring about games? Besides, constantly being Teamkilled does NOT make for a more exciting experience just a more irritating one, adding in a colour blind mind is hardly a massive amount of work and is beneficial to everyone. Sheesh

And besides who are you supposed to write to about changing the game aside from the makers? Yeah okay I'm going to ask the escapist to change it, hell I'll ask Gordan fooking Brown, anyone aside from the people who actually maintain and created the game.

Oh and in your words "chill out", you're the most abrasive in the thread thus far.
there is enjoying gameplay and then taking it too far. i would accept this argument from a military sim player like OFDR, where dying is a real problem, but you play CD6 to live fast and die quickly. why in gods name would you petition the makers to change it unless you really cared, to a creepy sort of level about how you did.

what? simply playing it isn't enough? your going to kick up a fuss and make excuses everytime your killed?? if it really bothers you change your fucking game.
They can't ENJOY the gameplay, because they can't play the game to its full extent!! God I'm sick of these yahtzee toting fanboys at the moment. Seems to be every forum I see, half way down there is always absolutely stupid responses.

OT. This is a fantastic petition and one that would benefit a large number of people. Consider it signed.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
nilcypher said:
While online petitions rarely make a great deal of difference, I'm hoping that this one gets plenty of coverage, because unlike certain other Modern Warfare 2 petitions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.150774?page=1], it's for a very good cause.
What the fuck is up with all the hate against modders? Are you being sponsored by insanity ward? Ironically, if they hadn't spent so much effort locking down the game into a gimped and useless console version, then color blind people could just change the text color like they could in cod1, 2, 4 and 5. GG badmouthing FAIL.

DarkGargoyle

Nov 18, 2009
Red/Green chosen from traffic lights, I suppose. I wonder why they didn't go with Red/Blue (which I've seen on most games and those traditional military maps.) I've never been interested in Modern Warfare, but speaking professionally, overlooking a potential user handicap like this in a product is ... odd. But whatever. Here's to a presumably simple interface tweak.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Gonna have to agree with Nil on this one. Most games have color choosing options for their Heads Up Displays anymore. Though I'm sure that's more for aesthetic value then actually considering those with visual disablities.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
nilcypher said:
Color-blindness probably isn't something that you often think about in relation to videogames, but for the thousands of men and women it affects, it can be a significant hindrance when playing certain games, especially when playing online.
Interesting fact of the day. Women cant go colour blind :p

But yeah, they should have this option in more games...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
I have Red/Green color blindness but its not like we can distinguish between the 2. Its just tuff to see the difference in purple/blue and yellow/green. It totally sux balls when they make the indicators yellow and light green >.<

But this certainly a reasonable request. a tiny code patch to change the color isnt hard. But knowing how greedy IW has become its probably not "cost effective" to cater to 10% of the gamer populations. <.< (yes im a PC, and this is out of spite! XD)
"The game's not balanced for that, ya know? Now, leave us in peace to... erm, work on the patch some more!"