#Gamerfruit: Gamergate sinks to new lows.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Guerilla said:
Sounds like the new low was just reached on the anti-GG side who were so quick to be offended once again that they missed the humor and good intentions of this hashtag. Not surprising at all.
It's not fair to generalise an entire side based on the actions of a few people. If it was, then it would be trivially easy for a anonymous pro-GG person to pretend to be anti-GG, sign up on a forum discussing GG and post on virtually nothing but threads about GG playing the part of an easily offended member of the anti-GG side. Just like it's trivially easy for someone who is anti-GG to post anonymous threats under #GG.

Or if it's ok to generalise anti-GG based on this, doesn't that mean it's ok to generalise GG based on the misogyny of a few idiots on twitter?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Dragonmouth said:
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:
It takes a special kind of stupid to not see that this was born out of a desire from GG to bully yet another woman.
So wait, what is the bullying here again? Putting fruit on a console? That's bullying now?

I suppose I see your point. Next time I want to have harmless fun I'll take the picture of an autistic child and turn it into a meme, since that's how all the cool kids are doing it.
Using a simple mistake to mock someone who is already a victim of harassment and bullying. The level you GGers scrutinize her every action is beyond creepy. And Brianna is the ultimate proof that GG doesn't care one bit for journalism. I still have not heard what ethical standard she broke.
The way you scrutinise every action the supposed GamerGate cabal takes is rather creepy as well. And considering Brianna made it her personal mission to slander GamerGate in the mainstream media, I'd say it actually has a lot to do with journalism and the journalistic ethics of those who give her a platform. She turned herself into a person of public interest. Of course she is going to be scrutinised.

Take it from someone who has been victim of harassment in the past online, and victim of bullying for more then 10 years in real life growing up. The last thing you want to do is to give a bully the satisfaction. That's just what the bully wants, it encourages him. A real bully isn't going to be shamed into silence, that's just not how psychology works. If you truly want to stop a bully, you need to go one step higher (in this case, law enforcement seems like the most appropriate), and let them handle it.

Dragonmouth

Sep 15, 2014
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:
It takes a special kind of stupid to not see that this was born out of a desire from GG to bully yet another woman.
So wait, what is the bullying here again? Putting fruit on a console? That's bullying now?

I suppose I see your point. Next time I want to have harmless fun I'll take the picture of an autistic child and turn it into a meme, since that's how all the cool kids are doing it.
Using a simple mistake to mock someone who is already a victim of harassment and bullying. The level you GGers scrutinize her every action is beyond creepy. And Brianna is the ultimate proof that GG doesn't care one bit for journalism. I still have not heard what ethical standard she broke.
The way you scrutinise every action the supposed GamerGate cabal takes is rather creepy as well. And considering Brianna made it her personal mission to slander GamerGate in the mainstream media, I'd say it actually has a lot to do with journalism and the journalistic ethics of those who give her a platform. She turned herself into a person of public interest. Of course she is going to be scrutinised.

Take it from someone who has been victim of harassment in the past online, and victim of bullying for more then 10 years in real life growing up. The last thing you want to do is to give a bully the satisfaction. That's just what the bully wants, it encourages him. A real bully isn't going to be shamed into silence, that's just not how psychology works. If you truly want to stop a bully, you need to go one step higher (in this case, law enforcement seems like the most appropriate), and let them handle it.
You seem to have implicitly acknowledged that GG is bullying this woman.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Suhi89 said:
Guerilla said:
Sounds like the new low was just reached on the anti-GG side who were so quick to be offended once again that they missed the humor and good intentions of this hashtag. Not surprising at all.
It's not fair to generalise an entire side based on the actions of a few people. If it was, then it would be trivially easy for a anonymous pro-GG person to pretend to be anti-GG, sign up on a forum discussing GG and post on virtually nothing but threads about GG playing the part of an easily offended member of the anti-GG side. Just like it's trivially easy for someone who is anti-GG to post anonymous threats under #GG.

Or if it's ok to generalise anti-GG based on this, doesn't that mean it's ok to generalise GG based on the misogyny of a few idiots on twitter?
I'm actually just giving the OP some of his own medicine. Why is it OK for the OP to generalize and not for me? GG has used the same tactic to expose many SJWs for the hypocrites they are by using their standards to paint them as misogynists or sexists. Doesn't of course mean they believe they're actually sexists, it's just an argumentative tactic to show that your opponent is a hypocrite.

CaptainChip

Jul 8, 2012
Dragonmouth said:
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:

It seems you have deliberately misconstrued his post to satisfy your own agenda.

Dragonmouth

Sep 15, 2014
Guerilla said:
Soleca said:
In any argument you should side with the one who has a sense of humour.
Imo humor, self-deprecation, and the ability to not be offended easily is a sign of intelligence, self-awareness and confidence so I wholeheartedly agree.
No, they are just signs you happier, not that you are smarter or more correct.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Dragonmouth said:
Was Jim Sterling bullying "Muxwell" when he lead a mocking campaign against his game "Earth Year 2066"?

Or is that different because Muxwell is male?

Also, where were you when this was going on, this is clearly something you're so passionate about, why weren't you defending this person then?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Dragonmouth said:
Nope, someone is bullying her. Never said or implied it was the GamerGate cabal that doesn't exist. If anything, I implied that's what you think.

Might I ask where your proof is that GamerGate bullies and harasses her? Because #FruitGate is pretty flimsy I gotta say.

Dragonmouth

Sep 15, 2014
CaptainChip said:
Dragonmouth said:
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:

It seems you have deliberately misconstrued his post to satisfy your own agenda.
You said how a bullying victim should behave and said Wu should have behaved in this way. Implicitly, you said Wu is a bullying victim and GG is a bully.

KokujinTensai

Feb 11, 2009
This topic can't be serious. I mean really this is some sort of meta joke right?

No my brain refuses to believe this topic is serious.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Dragonmouth said:
Isn't that what consumer movements are all about? Getting businesses to produce what you want? In that regard how is Wu different from what GG claims to be?

And why exactly do "consumer movements" have an immunity from criticism and ridicule when they're being complete idiots? GG is also a consumer movement, a more popular grassroots movement that isn't guided by large publications or supported through censorship and advertisement from our corporate overlords.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Guerilla said:
Suhi89 said:
Guerilla said:

I'm actually just giving the OP some of his own medicine. Why is it OK for the OP to generalize and not for me? GG has used the same tactic to expose many SJWs for the hypocrites they are by using their standards to paint them as misogynists or sexists. Doesn't of course mean they believe they're actually sexists, it's just an argumentative tactic to show that your opponent is a hypocrite.
It's not OK for anyone to generalise, as is a point I've used in defence of GG on this site and others. I'm still not convinced that this topic is 100% serious.

Edit to say: No other anti-GG people seem to be backing the OP up here.

Dragonmouth

Sep 15, 2014
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:
Nope, someone is bullying her. Never said or implied it was the GamerGate cabal that doesn't exist. If anything, I implied that's what you think.

Might I ask where your proof is that GamerGate bullies and harasses her? Because #FruitGate is pretty flimsy I gotta say.
For the sake of discussion, I will concede that most GGers condemn death threats and have nothing to do with the ones Wu received. That said, GG is still part of the problem. It spreads hate and misinformation against its targets. Itpaints them as threats to games or gamers. Common sense says they inspire the harassment that Zoe, Anita, and Brianna have gotten

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Suhi89 said:
Guerilla said:
Suhi89 said:
Guerilla said:

It's not OK for anyone to generalise, as is a point I've used in defence of GG on this site and others. I'm still not convinced that this topic is 100% serious.

Edit to say: No other anti-GG people seem to be backing the OP up here.

If the OP is a joke thread I retract my post. But I really, really don't think it is.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Dragonmouth said:
Guerilla said:
Soleca said:
In any argument you should side with the one who has a sense of humour.
Imo humor, self-deprecation, and the ability to not be offended easily is a sign of intelligence, self-awareness and confidence so I wholeheartedly agree.
Haha no, I know from a personal experience that having a sense of humor is NOT a sign of happiness. Some of our greatest comedians were depressed. Having a sense of humor and not getting offended all the time is a sign of intelligence and confidence.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Dragonmouth said:
Not GG. The scum that threatened her.

Dragonmouth said:
Guerilla said:
I don't think Robin Williams was much happier than the average person on the street. You can be self-deprecating and happy about your life and self-confident, just like you can be self-deprecating and deeply depressed, self-deprecation being actually a sign or symptom of it - I had a coworker who was like this.

BadNewDingus said:
Can you just delete your account?
Oh come on now, this is just stupid...

KokujinTensai

Feb 11, 2009
Not The Bees said:
thaluikhain said:
CaptainChip said:
C'mon, Dragonmouth. Did this really deserve it's own thread?
Everything anyone has got to say about Gamergate should go in a new thread, because nobody is going to bother to read all the stuff about GG in the big thread. Or something.

I think it'd be nice to have a GG subforum to stick all these in.
I kind of like having the smaller threads (though honestly I don't have much to add to this one), just because when I try to go into that big one, since I have a dissenting opinion, I get knocked back immediately. At least with the smaller threads those of us who aren't into the GG controversy have a chance of talking about it without getting too overwhelmed by the mass of honey bee drones (that's what it feels like at least) that attack the moment you open your mouth with something other than "everyone here is RIGHT!"

That said, this thread probably didn't need to exist. I'm not even sure Twitter needs to exist though, so I may be a bit biased.
Unfortunately many "Anti-GG" people who come there tend to turn into lightening rods due to pent up frustration. Ain't saying its right, but that's what happens when you enter the lion's den. That being said there have been brave souls (Like Fappy and TransGamer) who have weathered the storm and I respect them for that. We need dissenting voices no matter how crazy to keep us leveled.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Not The Bees said:
I'm not even sure Twitter needs to exist though, so I may be a bit biased.
If we ever meet in real life, I am buying you any beverage of your choice that is younger than 5 years, 10 if it is whiskey.