#Gamerfruit: Gamergate sinks to new lows.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Random Gamer said:
BadNewDingus said:
Can you just delete your account?
Oh come on now, this is just stupid...
Yeah, I agree it was stupid and I apologize. I just don't care for people who try to find anything, especially is it's as harmless as this to get their point across.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not The Bees said:
At least with the smaller threads those of us who aren't into the GG controversy have a chance of talking about it without getting too overwhelmed by the mass of honey bee drones (that's what it feels like at least) that attack the moment you open your mouth with something other than "everyone here is RIGHT!"

Oh, fine, Not The Bees, I'll say it. Not The Bees.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Not The Bees said:
That said, this thread probably didn't need to exist. I'm not even sure Twitter needs to exist though, so I may be a bit biased.

Twitter is the black whole where rational discussion goes to die. It's a step backwards in our civilization and the most annoying and useless way of "communicating" with each other. 140 characters? Really? What kind of discussion do these idiots expect from that limit? It's only good for marketing and and clever one liners, nothing else.

Dragonmouth

Sep 15, 2014
Random Gamer said:
Dragonmouth said:
You seem to have implicitly acknowledged that GG is bullying this woman.
Not GG. The scum that threatened her.
But WHY did he threaten her? What brought this obscure game developer to his attention and cast her in such a negative light that he would choose to do thos?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Dragonmouth said:
Davroth said:
Dragonmouth said:
Nope, someone is bullying her. Never said or implied it was the GamerGate cabal that doesn't exist. If anything, I implied that's what you think.

Might I ask where your proof is that GamerGate bullies and harasses her? Because #FruitGate is pretty flimsy I gotta say.
For the sake of discussion, I will concede that most GGers condemn death threats and have nothing to do with the ones Wu received. That said, GG is still part of the problem. It spreads hate and misinformation against its targets. Itpaints them as threats to games or gamers. Common sense says they inspire the harassment that Zoe, Anita, and Brianna have gotten
You'll conceed that for the sake of argument? Does that mean you don't actually believe that to be the case?

Okay, let me put it this way: Everyone who has any form of public image online falls victim to bullying and harassment and doxxing. Most of them rightfully ignore it, because in its core, bullying is a cry for attention, and you don't want to feed into that unless you want to make it worse. That's what's happening here. Whoever the real bully is is probably having the time of their life right now, and that is rather disgusting. Next time some psychopath feels like feeding their ego, and sees the kind of publicity this troll got, you better believe they are going to pick a similar target. It's a vicious cycle of harrassment. And to break it you need to let the police handle it when things get out of hand, and not call attention to it to not give them the satisfaction.

That said you still owe me evidence that a secret GamerGate cabal is behind all her harassment.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Dragonmouth said:
Random Gamer said:
Dragonmouth said:
Not GG. The scum that threatened her.
But WHY did he threaten her? What brought this obscure game developer to his attention and cast her in such a negative light that he would choose to do thos?
I think it had to do with sex. Much like most the problems in this world.

Fox Pocket

Barack Arcana
Sep 25, 2014
Pictures of fruits and video games started by someone unrelated to #GamerGate is harassment and bullying?

The peachtriarchy needs to stop promoting this grape culture.

I want off this wild ride.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KokujinTensai said:
Unfortunately many "Anti-GG" people who come there tend to turn into lightening rods due to pent up frustration. Ain't saying its right, but that's what happens when you enter the lion's den. That being said there have been brave souls (Like Fappy and TransGamer) who have weathered the storm and I respect them for that. We need dissenting voices no matter how crazy to keep us leveled.
I think you mean "non-GG." There's a large difference between being against something and not joining up. And that's ultimately the problem, that people get labeled as effectively an enemy of the glorious GG cause if they don't side with them explicitly. And that may be what happens, but that sort of bile is counterproductive.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Dragonmouth said:
Well, Gamergate didn't get out of its way to list every single woman working in the industry. She made some fuss on Twitter and trolls took notice.
I don't say this to do victim-blaming, just to explain how it happened.

Even if it's perfectly possible that a handful of people on both sides actually did resort to threats (even if from a purely strategic point of view, you'd have to be a moron to go after someone who's barely noticeable, like B. Wu was when she was threatened), it definitely looks like there are some scumbags on the side-lines, checking who's in the spotlight, and who take advantage of the struggle and twitter-shitstorm to go after them, whatever side they are on. Just a few hours ago, there were a few Twitter accounts apparently doxxing a dozen of people from both sides.

KokujinTensai

Feb 11, 2009
Not The Bees said:
KokujinTensai said:
Not The Bees said:
thaluikhain said:
CaptainChip said:
C'mon, Dragonmouth. Did this really deserve it's own thread?
Everything anyone has got to say about Gamergate should go in a new thread, because nobody is going to bother to read all the stuff about GG in the big thread. Or something.

I think it'd be nice to have a GG subforum to stick all these in.
I kind of like having the smaller threads (though honestly I don't have much to add to this one), just because when I try to go into that big one, since I have a dissenting opinion, I get knocked back immediately. At least with the smaller threads those of us who aren't into the GG controversy have a chance of talking about it without getting too overwhelmed by the mass of honey bee drones (that's what it feels like at least) that attack the moment you open your mouth with something other than "everyone here is RIGHT!"

That said, this thread probably didn't need to exist. I'm not even sure Twitter needs to exist though, so I may be a bit biased.
Unfortunately many "Anti-GG" people who come there tend to turn into lightening rods due to pent up frustration. Ain't saying its right, but that's what happens when you enter the lion's den. That being said there have been brave souls (Like Fappy and TransGamer) who have weathered the storm and I respect them for that. We need dissenting voices no matter how crazy to keep us leveled.
I am going to say this as politely as I can, despite being incredibly frustrated suddenly, THERE IS NO ANTI GAMER GATE MOVEMENT THERE ARE JUST PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOT JOINED YOUR CAUSE.

I am not an anti GamerGate person. Because there is no reason to be. I just am not on your team. I'm not on any team. I'm a non follower of this whole mess that this group as put themselves in. And quite frankly, that is not my fault. The group attacks anyone that comes in with any dissenting opinion, because they are the ones that are frustrated. They are the ones that are afraid of anyone that don't have the same opinions as they have.

I've tried my hardest to always be a nice, polite person. When I type up my responses I try to type them up as if I'm talking to someone face to face, and if there was a child in the room. So not only do I try to make sure I'm talking to someone, but on top of that I'm talking to someone with the idea that they're human and there's someone that might be hurt if I spoke out of turn. And yet that isn't appreciated in there, because they only thing they want to hear is "you're right, I'm now a part of your group."

So I will say this, and I hope to god that everyone is listening, that most anyone that walks into that forum is not some anti-gamergate person that's hell bent on trying to start a fight, they're just not in your group, and they're looking to talk and read up. Or wasn't that why that forum was made in the first place? To discuss and debate the merits of gamergate? Isn't that why the very first page is all about what Gamergate stands for?

And if you think you're a lions den, then maybe you should have a long hard look at yourself, because that's a really bad way to handle a place where you're supposed to be informing people of a cause that you want to have good PR for. I'd like to see a library be the same way. Next time I go to my local library I'll bring a whip and a stool in case the reference lady suddenly decides I've asked too many questions and is tired of my gall of not believing everything she says word of mouth without more than a twitter link and a negative word or two.
The term "Anti-GG" is just shorthand for those who are either against it or dont care for. If there's a less offensive shorthand term then by all means please let me. I'm really sorry you've become so incredibly frustrated by the whole ordeal. I really am. You see Gamergate by its nature is composed of many different groups of people. You have your 8chan group, Your Escapist group, and the reddit group as a small sample. Many other communities exist. I personally find KotakuinAction to be the most civil. I don't represent those who dogpile on you and others nor do I condone it. There are many who respect those who are neutral and prefer they stay that way if they feel so. I'm one of them.

And the whole "lion's den" thing was me viewing the thread from an outsider's perspective. I can see why that massive thread can be intimidating. In fact I made several posts regarding how hostile is can get at times and even referenced you in particular. it wasn't meant to put up an "internet tough guy" image. I feel like I'm rambling at this point, but all I'm trying to say is I'm sorry people like you, neutrals, are getting abused by both sides. I have my own reasons for supporting Gamergate that may not align with others, but that's just our nature.

Sorry if I seem incomprehensible. I dont express myself well.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Not The Bees said:
I am going to say this as politely as I can, despite being incredibly frustrated suddenly, THERE IS NO ANTI GAMER GATE MOVEMENT THERE ARE JUST PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOT JOINED YOUR CAUSE.
Ummm, you do realize that being actively against something and passionately arguing against it makes you anti-something, right?

Dragonmouth

Sep 15, 2014
Wandering_Hero said:
Anti gamergate sent a syringe to Milo and ddos the escpaist because it was allowing open discussion of GG. This clearly shows that anti gg has sunk to the lowest level of morality or the standards they used to judge us but not themselves are a load of bullshit
I am the "craziest" anti GG person here and even I have acknowledged that not all GG supporters support threats (though they are still part of the problem.)

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Not The Bees said:
Guerilla said:
Not The Bees said:
Ummm, you do realize that being actively against something and passionately arguing against it makes you anti-something, right?
I'm not passionately against gamergate. I'm passionately against being called anti-gamergate. So I guess I'm anti-anti-gamergate.

I've actually defended gamergate, and I've gone in and tried to work with gamergate people before, and have had talks with them and have tried to understand more sides than one. So I'm not against it. I'm just not for it either. I'm not for anything. I wish it would go away, because I am sick of hearing about it, and the constant stream of everyone hates gamergate people and how there is a million and one conspiracies. But the truth of it is, I don't care. I only care that every time I try to engage them, I get labelled as anti-gamergate, and then shoved into a corner as one of "them" and that's the frustrating part.
Actually I wasn't talking about you. You suggested that there is no anti-gg movement and explained why you're wrong since there are many people who absolutely hate and work against gg.