Gamers Play Halo: Reach for Thousands of Years

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gamers Play Halo: Reach for Thousands of Years

In less than seven days, gamers have accumulated enough play time on Halo: Reach to fill dozens of lifetimes.

According to statistics released by Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=28689], Halo: Reach has been played for more than two thousand years since its release last week. The exact total stands at 2318 years spread over 31 million play sessions.

The majority of the play was in the game's campaign mode, with 1,365 years of play time, with matchmade games following closely behind with 953 years. During that time, more than eight million daily challenges were completed, and more than a 78 million credits were earned. Bungie also said that the number of concurrent users for Reach had exceeded 700,000, beating Halo 3's all time score.

These numbers are impressive, but considering the size of the launch - around $200 million on the first day [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103518-Halo-Reach-Makes-200-Million-on-First-Day] - they're not really a surprise. There was never any doubt that Reach was going to be a big hit, and these numbers just confirm that.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-20-halo-reach-played-for-a-millennia]

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Sounds amazing when you put it like that, but when I look at all the time I've spent on all the games I own combined its not that far fetched...

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
This is no suprise, the game is bursting at the seams with excess players. Now if you'll excuse me im going back to play some more Halo Reach.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
It is quite impressive, I'd like to see a list of playtimes for other games too, CoD4 and WoW's times must be into 6 figures by now, with a fair amount of shut ins aswell

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Boring!
If one wants to see big numbers when it comes to playtime, just check an MMOG or quite frankly WoW(any version)

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
yoyo13rom said:
Boring!
If one wants to see big numbers when it comes to playtime, just check an MMOG or quite frankly WoW(any version)
Oh gosh, be quiet. You can't say something like that. People have been playing WoW for years and Reach has been out for less than a week. So racking up numbers like that are unsurprising but still impressive!

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Just got off playing 2 hours and knowing how popular Halo is and how amazing Reach is, good for them. I'm glad people are starting to pay attention to games that aren't just Modern Warfare 2

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
So many people that hate on Halo for this, or that, and yet the numbers don't lie.

Ouch!

EDIT:

yoyo13rom said:
Boring!
The whole point is that it is a shooter that is logging so much time, not a MMOG.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Two words that NEED to be said:
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

Well, congratulations to all Reach players.
If I get a copy and a Live account, I might add to that :D
But, for now, I'll put up with killin in the campaign

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
unabomberman said:
So many people that hate on Halo for this, or that, and yet the numbers don't lie.

Ouch!

EDIT:

yoyo13rom said:
Boring!
The whole point is that it is a shooter that is logging so much time, not a MMOG.
Why, because Shooters are rarely played? ... ... >.<

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
GoGo_Boy said:
unabomberman said:

Ouch!

EDIT:

yoyo13rom said:
Boring!
Because shooters don't make it an obligatory requirement to be logged online in order to play them.

Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath

Feb 20, 2010
Wow. This just shows the massive number of Halo Fans.

I would play it, but I'm Poor and Irish, (COOKIE FOR REFERENCE) and I don't have a xBox, or a console for that matter, expect a PC.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Oh lawd, that is quite impressive. I won't be responsible for more than a few hours to be honest, maybe a day actually...

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
wooty said:
It is quite impressive, I'd like to see a list of playtimes for other games too, CoD4 and WoW's times must be into 6 figures by now, with a fair amount of shut ins as well
Too bad Activision/Infinity Ward/Treyarch don't offer the kind of stat-tracking Bungie do for Halo. The information you can obtain just by visiting your profile on Bungie.net is amazing.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
lets just say....i have over a year played on 1 wow char...lol soooo yeah id wanna see thoes stats

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll be adding a large number of hours when I try to solo Legendary this week for the achievement.

I'm doomed.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
unabomberman said:
GoGo_Boy said:
unabomberman said:

Ouch!

EDIT:

yoyo13rom said:
Boring!
Because shooters don't make it an obligatory requirement to be logged online in order to play them.
Hahaha
Careful dude you're nearly feeding the troll.
I know I've put in a fair share, on day one I put in 5 hours in one sitting alone. It's a great game, now how about spreading that love to our PC friends Microsoft?