Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
I sincerely hope somebody's message was "I put my dick in this cupcake."

Not for any anger at BW just because it's a funny inside joke from my college days.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I get how this is related to the ending, but I can't help but wonder whether this is a not-so-subtle jab at Hamb- Jennifer Hepler.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Draech said:
I haven't seen anyone do those things and if they have they are certainly in a tiny minority. You are just determined to make the fans out as the bad guys when, they in fact, have a legitimate criticism of the game.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
So vanilla huh... Why of all the delicious kinds of cupcakes why vanilla? Marble, strawberry, yogurt filled, why vanilla? It's so bland and boring, just like the Ma... Oh.
Vanilla is...bland and boring...?

Vanilla is one of the most exotic and most expensive and most complex spices on the planet. If you think Vanilla is boring, you're probably using the fake vanilla that they extract from wood pulp.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:
I haven't seen anyone do those things and if they have they are certainly in a tiny minority. You are just determined to make the fans out as the bad guys when, the in fact, have a legitimate criticism of the game.
Yeah they have legitimate criticism. I said that already. And you still ignore it. It doesn't matter.

Fans are acting like spoiled children is still fans acting like spoiled children. You act like "Retake Mass Effect" is justified while you never owned it. You just played it.
You can pretend that Review Bombing can only be done by a minority, while that is literally impossible.

Even then it doesn't matter because it comes down to fans thinking that they either have or should have the right to force someones to change their creative work.

That you refuse to look that in the eye and just go "You just want them to be the bad guyes" while you look away.

I am a fan of the series. I dislike the ending, but I am not going to make a FFC complaint, a fund raiser or a petition to make a funking video game conform to my expectations.

I am going to move the fuck on while every idiot related to the "Retake ME" manneged to make the world a tiny bit worse.
Yeah I'm sure the $80,000 they raised for sick children made the world a terrible place! People complained about the ending to Fallout 3, they changed it, and the world didn't end.

I didn't partake in the Retake Mass Effect 3 movement either but I'm not going to make them out as villains when all they have done is tried to be constructive and positive.

I would be more supportive of this 'defend artistic integrity!' point of view if the ending actually had any effort put into it. It feels like people arguing over whether to paint over some crappy graffiti in a park...

Dr. Dice Lord

Feb 4, 2010
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:
I haven't seen anyone do those things and if they have they are certainly in a tiny minority. You are just determined to make the fans out as the bad guys when, the in fact, have a legitimate criticism of the game.
Yeah they have legitimate criticism. I said that already. And you still ignore it. It doesn't matter.

Fans are acting like spoiled children is still fans acting like spoiled children. You act like "Retake Mass Effect" is justified while you never owned it. You just played it.
You can pretend that Review Bombing can only be done by a minority, while that is literally impossible.

Even then it doesn't matter because it comes down to fans thinking that they either have or should have the right to force someones to change their creative work.

That you refuse to look that in the eye and just go "You just want them to be the bad guyes" while you look away.

I am a fan of the series. I dislike the ending, but I am not going to make a FFC complaint, a fund raiser or a petition to make a funking video game conform to my expectations.

I am going to move the fuck on while every idiot related to the "Retake ME" manneged to make the world a tiny bit worse.
Yes because if there's anything that makes this world a worse place its people expressing their opinions of dissatisfaction. Not murder, war, poverty, disease, or bigotry, but people being dissatisfied with a product. We should all take it sitting down and lap up every little drop in expectation or quality happily. What exactly makes you so loyal to the developer's "artistic integrity"? I really don't get people like you, mate. You're making yourself look very ignorant.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
EvilChameleon said:
400 cupcakes can not be divided evenly into 3 different colors.
Yeah, that bugged me too. Who can't do math over there? Or maybe Mike is just rounding again.
Evil Alpaca said:
Lakart said:
I dunno, if I worked at BioWare this would seem like more of a reason to put out controversial and rage inducing endings in the hopes of free baked goods. Making people happy makes them like you, but apparently making them froth with rage gets you cupcakes.
Would you eat cupcakes from fans who are pissed at the ending, some of whom have sent death threats?

I think this may be a sophisticated means of torturing the staff. Conversation would be

"We got sent cupcakes from fans pissed about the ending for the game."

"What's wrong with them?"

"Dunno, you try one."

"Me? You try one."

Meanwhile 400 cupcakes go stale in front of the Bioware staff because each is too afraid to try.
You vastly underestimate the power of cupcakes. I imagine they'll be gone entirely within two days.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:

Yeah I'm sure the $80,000 they raised for sick children made the world a terrible place! People complained about the ending to Fallout 3, they changed it, and the world didn't end.

I didn't partake in the Retake Mass Effect 3 movement either but I'm not going to make them out as villains when all they have done is tried to be constructive and positive.

I would be more supportive of this 'defend artistic integrity!' point of view if the ending actually had any effort put into it. It feels like people arguing over whether to paint over some crappy graffiti in a park...
Unless you can tell me with a strait face that you cannot raise 80k without entitled twats behind it then you got nothing.
Have you raised $80.000 for charity at any point?

I don't think name calling is warranted either. The retake guys have been civil throughout all of this and have even been very supportive of Jessica Merizen the Bioware community manager.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
But, despite their flavour, at the end of the day, Bioware still has 400 delicious cupcakes, so by that fan's logic, regardless of their appearance, the game is still highly satisfactory, with the mild disappointment of similar flavour being negated by the whole "having a good experience/cupcake to begin with".

I don't know if that made sense, but that "protest" seems more of a thank you for an over all good experience, rather than a damning critique of their story telling ability.

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:
When you're paying $60+ for a product, yeah, I think those protesting have the right to some form of opinion on where the creative work should go. People seem to keep confusing this kind of art with other forms. This isn't like a painting in an art gallery, you don't see the finished product before you buy it. Most people have paid over $200 across 5 years for a story that was supposedly molded by their decisions throughout that story. When they felt the ending was sub-par and not what was promised, they did what most people resort to at first: complain. Quite frankly they're allowed to, they are consumers after all.

That complaining morphed itself into a coherent protest for the most part, and is now using passive-aggressive methods to convey that protest. Yes there have been hiccups do to the less intelligent thralls sabotaging the movements with their greed; those people, for lack of a better comparison, are basically the terrorist groups of this protest. They are in the minority and use less than admirable words and actions to voice their opinion. That shouldn't result in the rest of the group, who is fighting for a peaceful compromise, having their name and intentions sullied by being lumped in with their inbred cousins.

Sorry for the tl;dr.

Also, captcha = "know your rights". I swear it's like the Escapist knows what you're trying to say before you type it...

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
I'VE HAD ENOUGH! Why oh why do you people keep complaining about a product the majority of people love? Lot's of people like vanilla okay. LOT OF US! Not just the profession cupcake critics, who ARE NOT, in the pocket of the International Vanilla Baked Goods developers. Entitled twats!