Gamers Uncomfortable with Change, Says EA's Peter Moore

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Gamers are definitely a lot that are not interested in change and also fail to accept or understand when necessary change comes in forms that they aren't in 100% agreement. It's easy to complain about things like DLC, pre-order bonuses and subscription plans but then still buy the games that involve them and fail to understand why they're implemented in the first place. It's easy to chalk all decisions up to conspiracy theories and the big bad of "anti-consumerism." Heck, we have an entire company that pretty much exists purely on offering the same comfort food that it's been making for 25+ years and many gamers lap it up.

Of course, change purely for change's sake is not good either, and even change with reason is not always right.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Peter Moore I don't think you get it. Gamers LOVE change. They want to see change. It is the reason COD gets so much heat. EA's problem is that the changes that they are making involve micro-transactions in $60 titles, Pay-to-win systems, content being cut just to be sold later, and beloved series being shat on.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
As a matter of fact, I am only threatened by change in the real world. I'm all for change in the gaming industry.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Fuck you. We don't have a problem with change, we have a problem with being fucked over.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
"It's not the way it used to be. I used to put my disc in the tray or my cartridge in the top, and I'd sit there and play."

Yeah it used to be that when you bought a game you got a full game, not part of game with the rest sold back piecemeal. It used to be that when I bought a game I could just pop in into my system and play, not jump through hoops and be always logged on just to prove I'm not a thief. It used to be that a certain game company was formed with the goal to make great games that made people happy...and that certainly has changed, isn't that right EA.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
No, no Moore, you misunderstand: People are uncomfortable when YOUR company makes changes. As it will undoubtedly screw them up.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Heh, this guy could be the antagonist in both Watch_Dogs AND Far Cry 4.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I can agree up to a certain point. Just look at what happens when a small change is made to Call of Duty's multiplayer. Death threats? Yeah, there are gamers out there who have a real problem with change.

However, when change means more money for less content, or Xbox One's 'always online' system that they were trying to force down everyone's throats? That's gamers not having a problem with change, but having a problem with greedy companies. The change needs to benefit the consumer, not punish them, and then gamers will accept change with open arms. Just look what happened with the Wii.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
"And different times usually evoke different business models. Different consumers come in. They've got different expectations. And we can either ignore them or embrace them, and at EA, we've chosen to embrace them."

No EA, you've chosen to exploit them.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
What I got from this was:

"You are not our target demographic. Go away and stop whining."

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Back in 2011 EA announced they were taking a more offensive approach to their business strategy, which was dubbed as the 'games-as-a-service' business model. Essentially EA would continue to work rigorously on games even after they launched, to provide customers a continuos and deeper experience to their titles--and Moore has been a strong advocate of this approach. A part of that model entailed more DLC, free-to-play and mobile games, and microtransactions.
This was a cynical strategy though. Basically they would release a product that would be generally inferior on launch, while keeping it at £40 ($60) and then complete the game down the line for extra money through DLC, all the while shoving microtransactions in there for good measure. It's worse than the Early Access bullshit going on right now.

He's kind of right, core gamers don't like change, but when people are getting screwed over it's the core gamers that bring this shit down upon them because they are the most cynical watchful consumers. They are the ones that get the hate train rolling. Sometimes EA, you fucking deserve it.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
Oh, you mean like Dungeon Keeper and Simcity and Battlefield 4? Those sorts of changes? Yeah I definitely hate change. Luckily some things never change, like yearly Madden releases where the only difference is the number on the box. Oh wait, I hate those too. Maybe I don't hate change. Maybe I hate something else....

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So basically: "Screw you old core gamers. We'll be rid of you as soon as we get new suckers."

Peter Moore said:
"And all of these young people coming in, or God forbid, these old people coming into gaming!"
What an expertly spun line this is, because it takes any criticism of EA and dumps it on the core gaming market doing the criticizing. "Oh things are different now and you just can't change with the times."

I mean, God forbid anyone criticize your company while you're trying to exploit the newcomers' naivete', right?
Wouldn't want to give them the impression that some standards used to be higher.

"I think the challenge sometimes is that the growth of gaming... there's a core that doesn't quite feel comfortable with that," Moore said. "Your readers, the industry in particular. I don't get frustrated, but I scratch my head at times and say, 'Look. These are different times.' And different times usually evoke different business models. Different consumers come in. They've got different expectations. And we can either ignore them or embrace them, and at EA, we've chosen to embrace them."
Maybe it's because we have good reason to not change with the times.

Maybe it's because those of us in the know don't want to cope with these new models gimmicks.
Like your obvious less-for-more DLC content pricing schemes.
Or your company's penchant for flat out lying to customers to generate hype.
Or your desire to turn every game into an online centric DLC rental service.
Or just Freemium garbage in general (a shit game model all round).

"It's a completely different approach in the way we're listening to gamers and the way they want to consume games."
I know what selective hearing is, Mr. Moore. Focusing on support service for gamers sounds terrific until you realize that you're producing fewer games, at a higher cost than you used to. This isn't something you should be bragging about, because if recent controversy is any indicator, the quality sure as hell hasn't increased.

Article said:
Moore said all of these innovations are working to broaden the audience of gamers, and that's seen as unappealingly disruptive to a core audience who liked the industry just the way it was. But as threatened as that crowd might feel, Moore sees a greater threat in not changing at all.
The need to appeal to a broader audience doesn't just alienate your existing audience; the process absolutely REQUIRES either brilliance or a systematic dilution of the elements that make your gameplay appealing.

Case in point, truly great gameplay is all but extinct now in EA products because they've oversaturated the core market by copying only what the popular games are doing. In doing so Mr. Moore, you sacrificed your own works' identities and reputations in the process. (like Dungeon Keeper, SimCity, and Battlefield)

Naturally, things have become so bad that you're giving up on the old marks and are instead searching for new marks.

"I don't think anybody has to like it," Moore said. "I think that's where it goes. It's like me; I get grumpy about some things, but if the river of progress is flowing and I'm trying to paddle my canoe in the opposite direction, then eventually I'm just going to lose out. From the perspective of what needs to happen in this industry, we need to embrace the fact that billions of people are playing games now."
It is unavoidable. It is your destiny.

Actually, I refuse to end this with that tired meme.

Yes, Mr. Moore, some people futilely paddle upstream until they finally tire and give in.
Those people are fools. They're fools because when going directly against the flow is futile, they never think to paddle sideways until they can just leave the damn river.

We don't have to jockey for your games or compromise. We can just outright reject your offer you know, no matter how enticing it may seem to you. Leaving the market, or at least the part of the market that has no intention of listening to its customers is an option, and one I took with your company years ago Mr. Moore.

Consider this: If "progress" requires sacrificing a basic securities, functionality, and reasonable value, then why should I or anyone bother? Change for change's sake is just plain foolish.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I know it's already been said but I figure I'll add onto it...

The 'masses' of gamers are indeed afraid of change. That's why we see Call of Duty, Madden, Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, etc etc etc released with an endless number of sequels and prequels and side stories because, let's be honest here, the masses are often too stupid/uninterested/not invested/sheeple who need to be guided on a purchase to try something different. And as a result, they react with hostility towards something unfamiliar... That's why Overstrike's heart was yanked out of its body and thrown in the trash and replaced with some mechanical abomination. Thank god Insomniac managed to dig that heart out of the trash and utilize it in Sunset Overdrive.

But please, don't try and suggest that anything beyond that is why gamers react with hostility to some of the stuff they've hated as of late. I am apparently in the minority of the people who DID like the prototype footage I saw for Mirror's Edge (Only for my hope for the game to be smashed in that post-E3 update about the more combat heavy focus the game is supposedly taking...) so I'm not referring to that. I'm more referring to how the concept of online passes evolved from Project Ten Dollar, the overkill of Microtransactions as a means of gating content or slowing the progression and consumption of game content OR being ANYTHING that ISN'T cosmetic changes... And most importantly, the idea of scumbag lowlife shovelware developers releasing games into early access or onto Steam Greenlight that are either clones, unplayable or just absolute pieces of shit.

The problems legitimately plaguing the gaming industry at the moment have nothing to do with gamers discomfort with change.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Horrendous F2P models, bastardization of established and respectable franchises, microtransactions in $60 games and outright broken and unplayable online only games.

Yup, I'm uncomfortable alright.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
'I just scratch my head at why people don't want to pay extra and navigate extensive DLC flowcharts just to play a damn game.' 'People complain that we wasted their time for an hour at E3 to not tell them anything about Bioware's new games. I mean, we could have done nothing at all, would that have been better!?! It's not like we could actually make a trailer or demo gameplay, preposterous.'

Seriously, though, this guy doesn't understand people. No one wants to pay more for games, obviously. I would even be fine with paying $70 for the better games to keep up with inflation and so forth. I just can't stand DLC splintering off content from a game; decreasing its value. Games are products, yes, but they need to be games first and products second. Otherwise why am I wasting my time and money on a game designed primarily to make money with gameplay or story as an afterthought.

Also, EA abandoned handheld systems for phones. It's pretty clear how much their management cares about games as entertainment or art; not much. That's the EA that they should actually be focused on.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Floppertje said:
No Mr. Moore, we have no problem with change. We have a problem with being lied to, being squeezed for cash and we have a problem with companies like EA and Ubisoft treating us like we're completely stupid. THAT is what we have a problem with.
I was gonna say something but this is it. I would like to add how we don't like being sold unfinished broken "Services" as well.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Hey Mr Moore, gamers loved F2P when it came around, its helped LoL become one of the biggest games ever.

We're just 'uncomfortable' with broken shit trying to screw us over. Like what you do.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
See, more DLC is in of itself, a reasonably good growth medium for gaming.

DLC that is obviously hacked off the game thereby decreasing the games value, pay-to-win strategies, and overpriced fluff packs are not good.

Sell all the add on content you want, but don't try and sell a skeleton of a game at full price then add the meat as "bonus" content, or shovel out paper pulp and call it a novel.