Gamers Uncomfortable with Change, Says EA's Peter Moore

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Problems with change is more a general human trait than gamers but...

No. Nobody is fooled by your scumbag 'afraid of change' line that reduces your customers to ignorant, confused and frightened sheep to be gently guided to new pastures. We're more than smart enough to see through your BS and no amount of interviews slandering our intelligence will change that.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Different consumers my ass. You're still trying to peddle the same crap over and over for full price, except less finished now, and then you actually have the nerve to sell DLC and micro-transactions after, and I don't have to explain the DRM, do I? And of course there's the terrible versions of classic games as a free app's that's designed to shit you up the wall so you feel like paying to actually get some progress done. Yeah, different consumers.

We can see it no problem. You're terrible at hiding it. It couldn't be more obvious that you're corrupt and you have no passion for art. Now I know change is scary for you, but have you ever considered not exploiting everything you can and looking good in the public eye?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
As much as a lot of folks wont admit it, the dude is right...EA have done some poor decisions yeah, but his main message is 100% accurate.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
I for one embrace change, Mr. Moore - even at EA!

For example, if you were to lose your job - that would be great!

Or if EA could stop reskinning old product and charging full price, or releasing incomplete, broken buggy games and charging full price, locking away content of a game behind a DLC pay wall and charging full price, exploiting, cheating, LYYYYIIIINNNG.

Oh I love change and want to actually see some. Which of the two of us is really uncomfortable with it?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ah, EA being good old EA. Something everyone can get properly steamed at.

Yeah, keep dressing up your bullshit policies as you being a misunderstood genius you in-bred fuckwit.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
"Gamers don't like change"
-Peter Moore, a chief contributor to the gaming industry's inertia

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i think its less a dislike of change and more a burning hatred of anal intercourse with EA and their ilk doing the giving. especially when they are using their patented Vaseline with the added sand and glass chips
"oh the proles just don't like change" yeah right

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gamers might hate change, but that doesn't mean that the change you stand for is change that should be acceptable. I'm sorry that some of us actually aren't just money deployment units designed to dispense to your company at your whim, but we can't always get what we want. I want to see compelling, interesting, fun games from EA, for example.

Man, Peter had a good run where he didn't say much stupid. Then he opened his mouth again.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I kinda agree with him a bit. Not with their business practices but about the change thing. A good number of my gaming co-workers don't like the idea of games with female only protagonists. One guy thinks just males should be player characters; while others think that either just males should be the PC or they should be able to choose between male and female but never just a female only PC.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Honestly? Honestly?

He's actually right.

Take one look at any "we should have more women/colored people/LGBTQ" thread and for every two people supporting it you have four more business apologists saying "but money and statistiiiics" and crying sjw and "shoehorning" like their characters aren't already shoehorned to death as well.

It's a fucking fact. Gamers don't like change.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Im having the most serious case of deja-vu ever with this Thread. Didnt he say pretty much the exact same thing couple years ago? In fact, yes he did. When i first saw the topic i was like "Somebodies dug up a necro there"..but nope, its actually a new one. Im going to save myself a long-winded retort to this man and just link to the last thread instead Here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.386092.15432083]

Dragonbums said:
Honestly? Honestly?

He's actually right.

Take one look at any "we should have more women/colored people/LGBTQ" thread and for every two people supporting it you have four more business apologists saying "but money and statistiiiics" and crying sjw and "shoehorning" like their characters aren't already shoehorned to death as well.

It's a fucking fact. Gamers don't like change.
I dont think thats the same thing, plus you are generalizing people who do actually make a valid point as to why we shouldnt do it. Or rather shouldnt do it badly, i.e. the whole issue with Tokenism and their inclusion just for the sake of being able to say they are featured. Its like how Ubisoft reacted to the AC:Unity issue by pointing out that there's lots of women in Farcry 4. You know, not helping anyone at all.

If a game features a black protagonist, should the fact that he is black be important? No.
If a game features a female protagonist, should the fact that she is a woman be important? No.
If a game features a LGBTQ protagonist, should the fact that they are LGBTQ be important? No.

If you make a black, female, or LGBTQ character for the sole reason to "represent" them, then you are not helping anyone. I dont want a character in a game that goes "Hey guys, im black", or "Hey guys, im a woman". Now if they make an interesting character that just happens to be black, or female and that fact is never brought to the forefront as if it needed a spotlight shining on it, then im all for it.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
We don't hate change, we hate unnecessary, unneeded, money-grubbing, lying, deceitful, dishonest, thieving little bastards who somehow managed to gain control of one of the biggest companies in a new industry with so much potential, trying to siphon as much cash as fast as possible with not the slightest regard to damage done to said industry, and then calling said tactics "change", and any and all critics, "a vocal minority".

By all means, Mr. Moore, keep pushing your luck. When this bubble bursts, you will be splashed, and then you'll find out that you've been playing with a bubble made of acid this whole time. People will turn on you, they will reject you, they will find another who satisfies them, and when they do, we will ask "What's wrong? We thought you liked change!"

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Esmeralda Portillo said:
Back in 2011 EA announced [http://megagames.com/news/ea-adopts-games-service-model] they were taking a more offensive approach to their business strategy, which was dubbed as the 'games-as-a-service' business model. Essentially EA would continue to work rigorously on games even after they launched, to provide customers a continuos and deeper experience to their titles--and Moore has been a strong advocate of this approach. A part of that model entailed more DLC, free-to-play and mobile games, and microtransactions.
Good Job on that front, EA; you've certainly become more offensive.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
A-D. said:
If you make a black, female, or LGBTQ character for the sole reason to "represent" them, then you are not helping anyone.
I'm just going to say what someone else said on this matter.

As someone who has a total of maybe 5 characters in the entirety of video game history representing me as a whole, I'd rather take one mediocre shoehorned character that represents me than nothing.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Aparantly they gave Bagdad Bob a new Job as EA exec.. after they had him go through surgical faceswapping with some other dude.

Look EA.. no one takes you serious anymore.. nothing you say will be taken serious by any possible audience you can reach, by your competition or even your own staff.

We know it... they know it.. the only guys who seem to have not gotten the memo are the people that come out and give these ridiculus interviews.

Players dont like change? What change? Do you have numbers to back it up? Have you actually done some peer reviewed research on this? Or is it just your opinion? Or is it rather another excuse to your stockholders why youre still bleeding cash despite your "offensive" tactics to squeeze every last cent of money from your customers while sucking your franchises dry of fun?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
No, we don't like change made to improve the bottom line and cut costs. Or to put it another way, "we don't like really stupid changes."

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
Oh glob! I dont know what I would do if EA stopped ruining all their games. I couldnt handle it if EA decided to stop destroying every good company it ever acquired!