Gamers Upset at Blizzcon's Slur-Ridden Speech

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Who cares? It's a Deathmetal band. All they ever do is scream offensive shit at anyone who's childish enough to listen to them. As it happens, the Alliance are just that.

.... Also ya, I used to play Horde.

Also also, anyone even moderately surprised the guy said he plays undead? I mean, he plays in a band called 'Cannibal Corpse'! It's like he's not even trying!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:
Thyunda said:
Well, that's okay, because nobody has ever, or will ever care what death metal 'musicians' have to say. These are people that have no concept of art, and only of controversy
Oh, come off it, there's no need for the inflammatory generalisations just because one vocalist said something stupid. I enjoy Cannibal Corpse for what they are (understand they are not the atypical representation of Metal, saying so is the equivalent of saying COD is the typical representation of gaming) but Corpsegrinder is a lumbering neanderthal, nothing he says should be taken seriously or considered legitimately pernicious. At any rate if WoW fans are so petty and impetuous as to incite violence over their chosen faction, then they are the ones who should be held fully accountable for the stupidity of their actions. For fucks sake, these are grown men who are assualting someone over a personal preference, they should know better.
I think it's clear by now that I hate death metal in most of its incarnations. I quite like Dimmu Borgir, but I don't know if they're heavy enough to be called death metal. Regardless, Cannibal Corpse is one whose image I can't stand. Also, their name I can't stand. And his name is Corpsegrinder. He sounds like a total dick.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
jonyboy13 said:
Well, personally I am offended. Tomorrow I'll wake up with leprosy.
(No cookies for references, buy your own.)
Steve Hughes for the win.

My thoughts on it:
Oh no the big bad metal man said mean words. How the fuck can people take him seriously? his nickname is Corpsegrinder for fuck sake, and I like Cannibal Corpse.

OpiateChicken

Jul 2, 2009
Greg Tito said:
and the Blizzard forums contain testimonials of actual violence committed by Blizzcon attendees this past weekend. "Leaving the [concert] event, two young guys probably in their early 20s came up behind us and pulled on my wife's lanyard seemingly trying to break it off and shouted 'Alliance *****' at her," recounted a Blizzard fan [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424466214#1]. "It did not break lose and instead my wifes' head and neck were jolted downward." The woman was not seriously hurt but her head and neck were sore for many days and the experience took an emotional toll.
Ho-lee-shit.

I don't even play WoW, never have.

But if some punk came up to my wife (or girlfriend in my case) and did that they would not be leaving the building except on a fucking stretcher.

I hope the guy fought back at least a bit, Christ.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I really wish people would just grow some skin. I've seen so many people on these forums talk about how curse words are "just words" but then something like this happens and suddenly these particular words are oh-so-offensive.

I understand that something like "******" isn't a swear but for some reason, I should take great offense when I'm called one anyway

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Geez, people are such touchy little babies nowdays. He's talking about a fucking video game, give it a rest. Nobody in the real world gives a shit what this dumbfuck thinks about either side of this shitbox game. I guess I can't disagree with his dislike for the whole aliance side, they come across as a bunch of pansies from what I remember of the game.

All I can say is grow some skin.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Real people attacking other real people over a fictional faction war? Sounds like a pretty metal Blizzcon this year... mission accomplished?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Activision's PR man (who didn't want Bobby Kotick talking) must be having a pleasant heart attack right now.
If the guy honestly expected the lead singer of a band that's profanity from cover to back to not do something like this, then it pretty much is his own fault.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
If I remember correctly, that interview was taken WAAAAAAAAAY back, during WoW vanilla. I'm not saying that changes anything, it's just sort of amazing to see it show up during Blizzcon '11.

That being said, it can be considered a serious problem since there's a lot of kids (read "morons") who play this game. Not because it is a stupid game, but because out of 11 million players you're bound to have quite a few who take it way to seriously or just aren't smart enough yet to realize it's a game. Lots of people listen to someone they consider an Icon.

That being said I played both sides and Alliance really DOES have more minors within it's ranks. Just saying.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Everyone in that video needs to take a shower.

Also, the lead singer(?) wearing his own bands t-shirt? Everyone knows that that is uncool.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Wow... What a douchebag. I must say, blizzard should have known better than to have put that up, clearly someone there must have watched it cause they took the time to censor it, so clearly someone must have said 'Nope, this won't offend anyone." Frankly blizzard deserves this fallout.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'd laugh and then shake my head if this turns into a bloods v crips thing in the real world.

But eh. I dont play wow, so i cant really be bothered what someone says about another group, though if these acts of real world violence are true, there's going to be some very shamful and pathetic times ahead.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Words change meaning. A guy could go on an actual homophobic rant and excuse himself by pointing out the word '******' once referred to a stick if we applied this ridiculous black and white view to all situations equally. What we should be asking is whether the guy actually intended to convey any hate against homosexuals or if he just wanted a throwaway slur.

But then we couldn't be oh-so-indignantly offended.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Windknight said:
ok, as someone 'outside' of WOW, why do a lot of horde players seem to act like alliances players are not 'proper' players for playing as alliance?

There is a lot of webcomics and other media portrayals that always seem to act like the only way to play is as horde, and if you don't, there is something wrong with you, or your not playing the game 'properly'.
Because, sadly, that is the way infantile Horde players feel is necessary to flaunt their perceived superiority.

(Difficult discussion incoming...)

The idiots are a minority, like in most things; they're just a loud one. In WoW, neither side is evil, and most mature players, on both factions, will gladly point that up. (Even the more grown-up roleplayers, for whom it's a lot easier to fall into character supporting one side or the other, will acknowledge what "their" side has done that is far from honourable.) The problem (not the only one, but the biggest in my opinion) is the perception of the infants playing the game (perhaps shaped by games with clearer distinctions?) that "rawr Horde for teh evulz!" means it's okay to act like a jerk, because "it's in character!" or some rot like that.

Blizzard admittedly has not been helping this perception recently, especially with a narrow-minded warlord replacing a more nuanced diplomat as Horde leader, but in reality changes on Alliance-side haven't been that much more different - it's just easier to see when it's Orcs.

Worth noting is that these infants tend to very explicitly exclude Blood Elves, a Horde race, from their furious defence of the Horde. This may well be because they are the most human-looking of the Horde races. It seems these loud children associate anything that is "pretty" with the stereotyped nerdy kid whose only response to being physically brutalised is a nasal "hey, stop it!" as portrayed in shallow kids' shows. Thus these idiots also drop themselves into the stereotyped bully jerk. It's very sad.

WoW attracts players of all types. Many play characters on both sides, and can approach the game with maturity. Like everything else in the world, though, a loud enough minority can ruin it for the whole group. There are plenty of "I'm good, you're evil, so I'm better" infantile players on Alliance, too. The Horde ones just seem to be louder. Perhaps it's the bully mentality.

Regarding the OP, I think (and my opinion is limited, as I've elected not to watch the video) is that the concerns are coming not from what the metal-airhead said, but the fact that it was aired during Blizzcon and hence had an air of "Blizzard thinks this is okay". I don't think they do, and I don't think they had any intention of it. That said, sometimes it can be best to avoid creating a situation where those questions even get aired. I can see how people who were troubled by the video would also feel Blizzard's response to be somewhat dismissive.

Setting out deliberately to give offence isn't necessarily a bad thing; George Carlin and the like would certainly attest to that. Even when it's accidental, sometimes it can prove a point. Sometimes, though, the can of worms is best left alone. Was this one of those times? As I said, I'm not sure. Let's hope cooler heads prevail on all sides. (Or, let's have Thrall and Jaina work on this rather than Garrosh and Varian.)

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Wait, people take death metal lyrics seriously now?

Then how the hell hasn't the Canadian Human Rights Commission arrested all the death metal bands in Canada for hate speech?

Oddly enough, this reminds me of how most radio stations won't play the uncensored version of Dire Straits' 'Money for Nothin' because of this line: "That little ****** with the earring and the makeup, yeah buddy, that's his only care. That little ****** got his own jet airplane, that little ****** he's a millionaire." despite the fact they're quoting people from a store who called THEM that haha.

But back to the story, everyone's just taking everything too seriously. Some people are taking WoW too seriously, others are taking this guy's opinions too seriously. Though I do find it interesting that such a claim would probably get you banned on a blizzard forum, but not in this case. Oh well, I'm honestly more worried about the violence that emerged then the mean words.

My opinion on his language here:

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Sabrestar said:
Windknight said:
ok, as someone 'outside' of WOW, why do a lot of horde players seem to act like alliances players are not 'proper' players for playing as alliance?

There is a lot of webcomics and other media portrayals that always seem to act like the only way to play is as horde, and if you don't, there is something wrong with you, or your not playing the game 'properly'.
Because, sadly, that is the way infantile Horde players feel is necessary to flaunt their perceived superiority.

(Difficult discussion incoming...)
(snipped for space)
Well said. I have no problem with a bit of faction pride, it helps create solidarity and a community. Unfortunately, with a community as large as WoW, we're bound to get a few jackasses who give the rest of us a bad name.

NEPAL

Mar 14, 2011
Nathan Explosion from Dethklok is based on George ?Corpsegrinder? Fisher.
Also Cannibal Corpse rules.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
When I played horde, if I met an alliance IRL I would totally impale them upon the bones of my ancestors. In my dreams.