Gamers? View on LGBT Essay

Mordack

Aug 7, 2011
Gubernaculum said:
Mordack said:
And yet you care enough to respond to the thread. I find it humorous whenever someone responds to any thread about something relevant with "who cares?" The problems with a lack of gay characters and themes in games doesn't go away if everyone just ignores it. Hell, if everyone ignored the issue, gays and lesbians would be clamoring for gay characters even more.
Now hold on one moment small son. That was a response to the OP, so why are you taking it out of context. I don't care about the gays, but I do care when someone thinks that it should be pushed in a market that clearly does not care for it.

May I ask, why are you posting in this topic if you do not care for it either. Wish to battle me? Charizard, GO!
1) Who says the market doesn't care? Clearly a lot of people care if these types of threads are popular.

2) When did I ever state that I didn't care about the topic?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Gubernaculum said:
maddawg IAJI said:
1) Because the amount of LGBT people in the United States is larger then those with Schizoids (1.5 over 1.2)

2) Because Schizoids is argued to be caused not only by genetics, but by environment as well, whereas Homosexuality is said to be genetic or a mutation.
1. Wait, so all that matters are numbers. Geez, I can see why the world is taking a turn for the worst.

2. ERRRRRRRRRRRRR, wrong. You are wrong. And thus anything, ANYTHING you say is invalid. I will wait while you do some research and find out the science behind SPD and homosexuality.

So you came in here, armor polished and gleaming, and instead of bring your sword of great justice onto my neck, all you have managed to do is fling a little poo on me. Also, you probably did not read the OP (your going to deny it of course) and you probably did not read my OP. This topic is stupid and is not worth discussing. Infact, barely any of you have actually discussed it - rather you have all homed in on me and try to bring my character down. Well done. Can't actually reply to a terrible topic so your White-Knight vision quickly detects the first thing someone says that goes against the status-quo.
Oh I did read your original post and I must say, it was extremely homophobic (Or at least showed a hatred or contempt of homosexuals) and highly flammable. I'll admit that I did not read the original post until after I posted mine, but I will not deny that I did read it. But I digress.

What is important is that
1) I specifically remember listing 5 key points as to why Homosexuality is a much bigger issue to Americans then Schizoids. You only argue against 2, did you not read my entire post?

2) I'm not wrong.

And to prove it, [http://www.waldenbehavioralcare.com/cause_of_schizophrenia.asp]Here are 3 sources for the enviormental cause [http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/schizophrenia/content/article/10168/52516] argument. [http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2809%2960995-8/fulltext]

As for homosexuality.

here [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/01/homosexuality-genetics-usa] ya [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation#Twin_studies] go [http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-07/has-gay-gene-been-found-female-mice]

There, I responded to you in a casual, respectable manner, now why don't you do the same for us as several members of the community, including myself, are getting tired of your constant use of sarcasm and bigotry.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Danyal said:
klausaidon said:
To start, I decided to go straight to the source. I went to one of my favorite gaming news sites, The Escapist [1], and ask my fellow gamers how exactly they felt about the LGBT community. The topic [2] turned out to be very hot. As of today [Tuesday, December 06, 2011], it has had well over 10,000 views, and 296 replies.
Well, the Escapist Magazine community is not exactly the average gamer. We've got very strict rules and I'm sure blatant homophobics will be banned when they display homophobic behavior.

Also, this community seems liberal to the point of naive. I am quite sure the mindset of the average Escapist differs quite a lot from the mindset of the average MW3 (nearly typed 2 there) player.
Plenty people have displayed Homophobic opinions, without insulting anyone directly. And a few people have. Also, The Escapist technically isn't the only source of opinions I've went to, it is however the only I directly credit, and mention, since I went as far to create such a popular thread about it. The rest are insights from sites like Kotaku, and general opinions I get from class mates. And, although you do get a homophobe every now and then, most gamers aren't blatantly homophobic it seems, and are fairly comfortable with the subject matter.

And the fact that you used "liberal" to describe the community just made me facepalm. Even more so when you bring MW3 into the mix. I should point out that I am a huge MW3 fan.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Frehls said:
There was a thread like this a while back, quite a heated thread too, but the OP was hardly as well-spoken. Regardless, I disagree with you on the point that more games should be "LGBT friendly".
Here are some points.

-In most games, characters' sexuality holds little to no relevance.

-No one wants LGBT stuff shoehorned in just to please the crowd. This is what Bioware did with DA2 and is continuing to do with their games.

The most significant point I can make is that homosexuals and transsexuals are minorities and always will be minorities. As a minority, you certainly should fight for equal human, legal, civil rights, and an end to discrimination.

A lack of representation in media is not discrimination, it's the simple fact that LGBTs are minorities. I am an atheist, a rather rabid one at times, but I don't feel oppressed because I am not represented in media. I'm a minority, and as a minority I am not going to be represented equally in anything the majority has a large stake in. This is a fact, and it's not prejudice, it's numbers.
There will be less LGBT themes in games because there are less LGBT people in the games industry, and, from a business standpoint, because it does not appeal to a broad demographic. You don't deserve equal representation in media, and a lack of it is in no way shape or form discrimination against you. Minorities are minorities.
Again, you completely deserve and should fight for equal human, legal, civil rights, and an end to discrimination. But this is none of those things.

As a mostly off-topic rant, this community is, for the most part, atrocious. Nearly everyone here is ridiculously liberal and dissenting opinions are quickly "hiveminded" to death. The mods are a big part of this too.
The content of the site itself is pretty bad too. The news reporting is noticeably unprofessional and often not gaming related, and the other content (save for Zero Punctuation), is mediocre to terrible.
I suppose I've just been spoiled by 4chan's /v/ board. Really, once you adapt it is a very good community.
Character sexuality comes up A LOT in games, movies, and books. Any game with a love interest displays sexuality.

And I actually applaud Bioware for their gay characters. Last I checked, people disliked DA2 for quite different reasons then the gay characters, who were actually done fairly well, IMO.

And how the industry is going, we are actually seeing a great deal improvements towards good representations. You're right, LGBT is a minority, however it does exist. So it shouldn't be ignored completely. The community isn't asking for the industry to make EVERY game LGBT friendly, that's just silly.

This is actually a similar argument for women representation in Video Games. However, on that side, Women actually have a great deal of good characters to get behind, even though they're a minority among the video game playing demographic. The LGBT, not so much. We would like to get our "Samus", you see.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Anyone else have the problem of being unable to take him seriously after he called himself a "Gaymer"? Seriously that sounds like an insult you use after you get bored of calling him a ******.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
z121231211 said:
Anyone else have the problem of being unable to take him seriously after he called himself a "Gaymer"? Seriously that sounds like an insult you use after you get bored of calling him a ******.
Nah, it's a fairly well established neologism. Google it.

I don't call anyone "******" because that's, well, childish and pathetic at best, so I don't get the chance to get bored of it.

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
As a bisexual currently in a gay relationship, I use the word "gay" as an insult all the time. Now while I know this doesn't make anything right, I think the LGBT community on the whole does need to be less touchy.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
ResonanceGames said:
Not everyone who uses "fag" as an insult hates gay people, but they are perpetuating an insult that inherently degrades gays
no, it degrade motorcyclists

anyway, i wasn't impressed by the essay, OP. Grammar and spelling inconsistencies aside, i just don't think you made any serious points about anything, and find the work essentially meaningless thereof

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
GeneWard said:
As a bisexual currently in a gay relationship, I use the word "gay" as an insult all the time. Now while I know this doesn't make anything right, I think the LGBT community on the whole does need to be less touchy.
I think that one is easy. If you call the black community the N word they will be pissed off, yet they cal each other the N word as in a friendly manner.

Same with the gay community.
Identifying oneself as gay, and calling people of the same community gay is not rude.
But outsiders of that community should be careful and respectful.

Any group of people who have experienced oppression has every right to be touchy about certain terms and the way they are treated. maybe they will be less touchy and relax if they did not get disrespected as much.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
klausaidon said:
Last month I made a thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.320869-LGBT-in-Video-Games?page=1] asking everyone to give their open opinion on the LGBT community for an Essay I was writing. It went over very well, and my Essay came out nicely. To thank everyone at the Escapist Forum for their help, I'm gonna post the essay here for everyone to view.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this community seems to be fairly liberal. With the constant attacks of FOX News and generally defending people that are known deviants. Before you attack me, I'm not a big fan of FOX and most of my friends, including myself, seemed to be deviant. My point is generally in my experience people who are different are not treated very nicely.

Acceptance of LGBT seems to be more of where you go than the gaming community as a whole. If I go into Modern Warfare 3 or Counter Strike I will be treated FAR differently than if I went into Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead (maybe someone else has had insults there, but I have not) Because of this video game designers wont casually put those things in. If God of War started having gay scenes he might not appear to be as "bad ass" (there is a joke in there somewhere) to many gamers and sales would drop. In addition, there is usually an uproar within the public eye and overall it can end up being a mess for marketing.

Bioware is doing a good job with evening out the playing field, but they make RPGs. They are strongly story driven stories where having the choice to be gay, straight, or bi fits well within the games they produce. Other games that are more action oriented don't have that same excuse and are therefore harder to defend when questions start arising.

I do believe that things will change in the future to the point where if they are optional romance in video games that most will have the choice to pick a sexual preference, but right now its still touchy topic.

Good Luck Klausaidon, thank you for the read.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
UFOROMANTIC said:
I do take issue with the interpretation of Naoto Shirogane as being transgender. It can be debated that she was attempting to look like and live as a man in order to tbe taken seriously, but I feel this has less to do with her trepedations with her own gender identity than it does an attempt to change her presentation to match something that would allow her to be taken more seriously by her peers in the detective community. She seems to accept being a girl okay, but clearly has difficulties being "feminine"; I think this reeally has more to do with a confusion about how to present. Now that I thgink about it, this could be a salient argument for her status as transgender, but it strikes me a little more as genderqueer. Just the same, I also take the rather controversial stance that Kanji wsn't actually gay, but just an extremely confused teen who was thrown off by Naoto's initial seeming "attraction" towards him.(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SweetOnPollyOliver). But that's just me.
This is exactly right, actually, and it bugs me when people try to shoehorn characters into specific roles because it makes them more "progressive". Kanji MIGHT be gay, but the evidence lies much more on the "confused teenager" side of things. That was the whole point of his dungeon; Kanji was confused about being attracted to a "guy", and along with his rather feminine hobbies he was afraid that he was repressing a homosexual element of himself, which he honestly had no interest in (see his disgust at the way Shadow Kanji acts). He's just trying to come to grips with his sexuality and apparent non-conformity, which is something everyone who has been an early teenager can relate to.

And there is nothing transgender about Naoto at all. She's just a girl trying to compete in a traditionally male-oriented field. She already gets flack for being a teenager, and she knew that if she went around as a girl none of the other detectives would take her seriously. This is Japan, after all, gender roles have been traditionally very rigid there. So, like ever female author who has used a male pen name to sell books, she marketed herself as a "boy genius detective" because she knew people would accept it. Does she have some issues with her femininity? Sure, but that again ties to her desire to be a good detective and apparent conclusion that only males can compete.

Honestly, Shadow Kanji bugs the hell out of me. He makes sense, given the context of the game, but the whole dungeon just annoys me. Similar to how apparently Yukiko's desire for freedom manifested itself as her acting like a giant whore, or Rise's desire to be herself manifests as a...stripper? Its just too extreme to feel like its making a realistic point about the characters.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
MisterM2402 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Gubernaculum said:
Do you see fat gamers asking for fat characters they can play as?
Actually...

A friend of mine is a plus sized woman who doesn't want to play Skyrim until someone makes a mod for plus sized characters. So, it does happen. Not often mind, but it does.
I know the term "plus-sized" is a euphemism for "fat", but do you still have to use it when she isn't around? It's just that "fat" is so much more efficient in conveying the idea, only having to type 3 letters :p
Most people who use kind and unoffensive language do so because they desire to be kind and unoffensive. So no, this view doesn't generally change depending on who's presence you are or are not in.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
intheweeds said:
MisterM2402 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Gubernaculum said:
Actually...

A friend of mine is a plus sized woman who doesn't want to play Skyrim until someone makes a mod for plus sized characters. So, it does happen. Not often mind, but it does.
I know the term "plus-sized" is a euphemism for "fat", but do you still have to use it when she isn't around? It's just that "fat" is so much more efficient in conveying the idea, only having to type 3 letters :p
Most people who use kind and unoffensive language do so because they desire to be kind and unoffensive. So no, this view doesn't generally change depending on who's presence you are or are not in.
Well, I'm not sure why the word "fat" is offensive :S I'm tall and skinny and I'm fine with being called "tall and skinny" - I'd rather not be called "with above-average vertical qualities and of the slender persuasion" :p As long as it's not used in an insulting way, there's no reason why adjectives such as "fat" or "thin" or "short" or "tall" or "bald" or "hairy" etc. need to be covered up by flowery language. Calling someone a "fat cow" on the other hand, now THAT'S offensive! :p

"The ball is red... uh, I mean the ball reflects light that's carried in plus-sized wavelengths" ;)

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
MisterM2402 said:
intheweeds said:
MisterM2402 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Gubernaculum said:
Actually...

Well, I'm not sure why the word "fat" is offensive :S I'm tall and skinny and I'm fine with being called "tall and skinny" - I'd rather not be called "with above-average vertical qualities and of the slender persuasion" :p As long as it's not used in an insulting way, there's no reason why adjectives such as "fat" or "thin" or "short" or "tall" or "bald" or "hairy" etc. need to be covered up by flowery language. Calling someone a "fat cow" on the other hand, now THAT'S offensive! :p

"The ball is red... uh, I mean the ball reflects light that's carried in plus-sized wavelengths" ;)
It's the same thing IMO as the use of the word 'fag'. Some find it offensive, some don't. But the fact that some do makes me want to find another word that doesn't offend anybody, which is quite easy most of the time. To me it's just the nice thing to do. Fat is used as a derogatory term by some, though admittedly not by others. You may not understand why it's offensive, and that's fine, but some do find it offensive so why not at least try to find another word?

You were suggesting that if the 'fat' girl isn't around why bother not saying it? Which in itself suggests that you realize the term would offend fat people. But I do appreciate what you are saying.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Zack Alklazaris said:
klausaidon said:
Perhaps, but the Escapist isn't actually my only source of information, only the one I give the most credit to, since I have the information on record. As the Essay states, I typically flaunt my sexuality in any game I play in. WoW, MW3, you name it. Kotaku is another source, and pretty much any place where I can see something about homosexuality pop up. In my general experience in games, when I reveal my sexuality, it's typically not a big deal. I never get attacked for it, and most gamers will laugh at my jokes, and like me for them. I had no hard evidence of my former personal experiences, since I never recorded any of these, so I never included them in any more ways then a small mention in the beginning. But from my experience, most gamers are perfectly fine, or don't care. And if they do, I've never heard them openly attack me through games. I have heard some Homophobic things around, however they have never been directly aimed at me. As for Kratos suddenly being Bi, I think I'd be uncomfortable with that myself. I've said before, I don't expect every game to suddenly become LGBT friendly, and I'm mostly waiting for the LGBT's own "Samus" character. Just one very well constructed, main player character would be a great milestone. And thanks to Bioware, we are already heading in the right direction, so it is probably a matter of time. Heck, I'm hoping to get into the gaming industry, so maybe some day I'll design the game. I've already come up with several stories, and ideas, etc.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
UFOROMANTIC said:
I do take issue with the interpretation of Naoto Shirogane as being transgender. It can be debated that she was attempting to look like and live as a man in order to tbe taken seriously, but I feel this has less to do with her trepedations with her own gender identity than it does an attempt to change her presentation to match something that would allow her to be taken more seriously by her peers in the detective community. She seems to accept being a girl okay, but clearly has difficulties being "feminine"; I think this reeally has more to do with a confusion about how to present. Now that I thgink about it, this could be a salient argument for her status as transgender, but it strikes me a little more as genderqueer. Just the same, I also take the rather controversial stance that Kanji wsn't actually gay, but just an extremely confused teen who was thrown off by Naoto's initial seeming "attraction" towards him.(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SweetOnPollyOliver). But that's just me.
I'm well aware of this, and hesitated at this part a bit. I didn't want to get off topic to much, and I had to cut the presentation short, it was only suppose to be 5-10 minutes long, and it was being presented to non-gamers, so I didn't expect to be caught on my small mistakes, and I wasn't, so it went over nicely. Of course though, posting this Essay on a gamer forum for the world to see, I'm not surprised to see it picked apart. There is a lot of room for improvement, however admittedly they might be outside my personal writing abilities.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Ordinaryundone said:
You're right, however I skimped a bit on the details, as I didn't want to get to much off topic, and I knew no one in my class (Which were all non-gamers) wouldn't even have heard of Persona 4, let alone catch me on my small mistakes.