"Games Cause Rape" Psychiatrist Defends Her Position

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Dear Dr. Liberman:

In your e-mail responding to those who asked you for evidence supporting your claims that videogames cause rape, you cited a national poll concerning the cause of Columbine. You claimed that this poll, available for all to take, was as good as any other legitamate source of information. I feel it is my duty to inform you that the majority of those who voted were members of a certain demographic hereafter referred to as "cataclysmic retards". It is a tendency of cataclysmic retards to voice an opinion which is not based on any facts of any kind, instead basing their opinions on idiotic assumptions with no supporting evidence other than their own irrational biases. I hope that this information will help you to make intelligent arguments based on fact in the future, rather than the drivel that you have so far provided for us.

Yours,

Rev. Christopher William MacFane, 1st Church of the Eternal WTFF

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Therumancer said:
Sitting here and saying there is a clear reduction in rapes in the USA is stupid, because anyone who has bothered to actually look into the subject (which I did when this first came up) will find that there are contridictory claims, with research and statistics backing both sides of the equasion.
Well dude, I don't know where you get your numbers but mine come from the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation.

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html [http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Therumancer said:
Sitting here and saying there is a clear reduction in rapes in the USA is stupid, because anyone who has bothered to actually look into the subject (which I did when this first came up) will find that there are contridictory claims, with research and statistics backing both sides of the equasion.
Well dude, I don't know where you get your numbers but mine come from the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation.

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html [http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html]

Well some of the sources are simply from Nationmaster, which compiles a lot of statistics about differant things based on nations:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

Human Rights Watch (as of 2008)

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2008/12/18/us-soaring-rates-rape-and-violence-against-women

Another older set of statistics going back as far as 1992 from a Rape Crisis organization:

http://www.stoprapevermont.org/statistics/national.html

A current set of statistics from a New Mexico Crisis Center, claiming the rate of rapes is 25% (1 in 4) of women, and 5% (1 in 20) of men in their state.

http://rapecrisiscnm.org/index.php

-

This is only the tip of the iceberg, do some searches on the subject and while you CAN find things that will reinforce your point, you WILL find things that will reinforce what I am saying as well. The point here not being me supporting either "side" specifically, but rather pointing out the vast differances in information.

Now yes, the quality of sources DO tend to vary greatly. The FBI is a good one, but then again so is New Mexico's crisis center (and this is just one of them, I believe I used a differant crisis center last time I did links).

The reason why it's such a big mess is that everyone has a vested interest. The FBI wants to make it look like rapes are down because it's a sign of them doing the good job, and helps reinforce the perception that the people in charge of it right now should stay there. On the other hand rape crisis centers employ a lot of people, and draw on a lot of funding, their success is dependant on there being a clear and present need for their services.

In a funding meeting someone looking to cut state spending is going to go around and make cases like "well, the FBI is doing a good job, and says that rape is down, so I guess we can lower the amount of state dollars going into our rape crisis programs", and of course the programs on the receiving end are going to say the FBI is wrong and counter with their own statistics and research (and pointing out the FBI's interest) to justify their own funding. As an outsider, all I can say is that all aspcts of this can bring weighty sources to their defense, as far as who is actually right is beyond me.

Personally, while I don't agree with Nationmaster in all things because it has a chip to grind with the US at times (or so it seems to me), I can't see much of a motivation for this one especially seeing as on a per-population basis there are a number of nations it seems to play (comparitive) favorites with ahead of the US.

The bottom line is that when we're #9 for the rape-to-population, and #1 in overall rapes (given our larger population than other nations), even if we have the lowest rate of rapes in 20 years it's pretty bloody disgusting, and makes bickering with her point about the rape rate rising seem pretty bloody petty.

I'm not saying that I agree with video games having anything to do with this, because the problem has existed before video games were this mainstream, but I think the grounds she's being attacked on are wrong. Choosing the wrong front to oppose something like this on, and running with it, is exactly how fandom creates it's own problems.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:
When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list
Huh... Apparently to her a "national poll" counts as a "study."
ROIGHT! Well then I'm going to have a "national poll" over the cuteness of bunnies and then call it a study!

I R DOKTOR NAO.
Yeah I'm failing to follow this, I don't give a fuck what polly-republican thinks caused columbine.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I remember Yatzhee posting an article about gamers not being total twats to those who are jerks to us because it makes it even more predictable that stuff like this happens. It seems like most of you people haven't read that article.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Shes a dumb b*tch and needs to take a long fall off of a short cliff.

What? You were expecting some deep incite? Fine.....

If you accually look at the numbers, teen violance as a whole has gone down, as video game sales has gone up. There by, teen assualt, murder, rape, and other acts of violances are less likely to happen as more kids recive videogames.

People CONSTANTLY ((And i cant stress that enough)) confuse videogames CAUSING violance, with videogames ATTRACTING violance. Are violent people more likely to...

A: read a good book, laugh at theyer favorite show, and then go to bed.
B: Play checkers with friends, cook dinner, and then go to bed.
C: Play violent videogames, trash talk people while eating hotpockets, and then ragequit after devistating loss and get pissed?

The answer will probably be "C". A person who likes violance will choose COD Black Ops over a book anyday, because theres bound to be more violance in the videogame, with less effort required.

Same thing with music ((which the media tryed to crucify and failed)). Are violent people more likely to listen to....

A: Jazz
B: Ska
C: Pop
D: Heavy metal.

Chances are it will be "D". Because much of the sub-culture and visuals of Heavy Metal are voilent in nature. Its not the music causing people to become violant, but the violent people happen to enjoy that music.

I dont see country being banned because country music causes suicide.
http://austrolabe.com/2007/12/27/country-music-and-suicide/

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
Uber Waddles said:
I like her first approach.

"I dont need evidence, I thought everyone knew about the studies already!"

Her second one was even better, she posted two articles that hardly mention her topic, and fails to verify her statement otherwise. Just trying to get more right wings riled up.

It always shocks me how much Fox News fails: they arent even a legitimate news agency (I.E. they dont have to check facts). And while they try to act like they are, its hard to keep that cover on when you have whackjobs like her on.

I like my logic, so lets use it. By her logic, if I say Blowjob, that would mean it would influence people to perform more blowjobs. Thats pretty much what her theory boils down to.

Is anyone compelled to perform a blowjob now? No. There, theory disproved.
Well, now that you mention it...

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Nouw said:
Does she even know that rape has gone down?
[sub]I'm damn sure it has![/sub]
Nope, like all idiots and trolls she's willing to ignore facts that are ever so blantantly obvious just to make her opinion on such topics sound right.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
I love how she's like "Oh wait, you want me to prove my stance? I thought you already knew! If you're a gamer, chances are you've committed at least three rapes in the past week, anyway."

The fact that anyone would consider her for an award for anything other than for being an attention grabbing idiot who can't defend a word of what she says and then even after she's called out on it, she just goes back to her statistics and studies that she pulled straight out of her ass and continues not to give an ounce of proof. If you're called out, at least make up a study like the people who faked those studies about vaccinations causing autism.

EDIT: Ugh... I don't know why, but I'm extremely offended by this woman... if everyone knows about these studies, why can't she name at least one?
Dude just looking at her makes me want to destroy all that is good in the world....not that I don't want to already but she pretty much fuels that rage even more!!!!

Secondly, when someone assumes that their audience to whom they are addressing already knows the facts that they didn't present, they only make themselves look like more of an ass than they already are.

Evidence is necessary when getting a point across to people. What she did was blatantly try and bullshit her way out of this mess by said statement consisting of 1 part idiocy and 2 parts bullshit.

What scares me most though is the people who buy into that crap flowing from her mouth like a viscous waterfall comprised of pure excrement.

aeroblaster

Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I'd like to see her name one person who became a rapist by playing video games. She'd only find one name: Carole Lieberman.