Games everyone but you hates.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Title says it, and I think my game will kill any respect I had here previously.
It is, Marc Eckô's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure. I don't know why I liked it, it's most likely nostalgia as I am one of the youngest guys here (I am old enough to post, just in case you got some ideas). I'm sure I wouldn't like it much without the nostalgia, and just for the record, I did play this underage, and I haven't murdered anyone, so take that governments!

EDIT: Judging from the replies, I'd like to add Duke Nukem Forever and Dragon Age 2. I could probably add a lot more if I got my PS2 discs and went through all the nostalgia.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Well, The interesting thing about the internet is that no matter what game you list, there will always be at least one person who agrees with you, one who respects your decision but disagrees with it, and one who calls you a retard for daring to like something he does not.

On topic however, among my group of friends the answer is Mirror's Edge, the copy I own traded hands more than a dozen times, with each recipient giving up on the game for various reasons (Too Hard, didn't like the art atyle, Narrative sucked, etc.) then I got it and I currently have only two more achievements to go until I have them all, and they are tough ones.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Final FAntasy X-2.

Loved the game, loved the continuation of Yuna story and the resolution you can have. Loved being in Spira again! However everyone else I know wouldn't play it.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Well going by the reaction on this site I'm gonna go ahead and say Metal Gear Rising...

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
That would be Brink, Shadowrun, generally all RPGs and Dynasty Warriors

that's what my real life friends think at least...

Oct 12, 2011
I loved (and still do) the old 4X games. Civilization (esp II) was my favorite series. Still get out the emulator and play Masters of Magic every so often.

Slvrwolfen

Sep 10, 2008
Right now, at least from amongst my friends, that'd be Final Fantasy VIII. I don't know why everyone hates 8 ;_; I thought it was a masterpiece with probably the most teary-eye causing ending cutscene.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
YOU ARE NEVER THE ONLY ONE!

OT: I didn't have too bad of a time with FF13 (love may be a bit of an exaggeration), but judging from how much money that game made, it is very doubtful that there are really more people that hate than love it it's just that the haters are very loud about it.

EDIT: I also love a whole lot of the changes in 4th edition such as the streamlining of the classes and the hybrid system of multi-classing that said streamlining made possible. Too bad the latter took until PHB 3 to come out.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
anthony87 said:
Well going by the reaction on this site I'm gonna go ahead and say Metal Gear Rising...
Nah, don't worry, I'm excited for it too. Though I am hoping they keep some stealthing elements still in the game. I don't want it to be non-stop action all the time.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Oh this pointless thread again, Kudos Pixel King.

But oh well i might aswell roll with it...Here's an obscure one, DDRSupernova.
Most fans regard it as something new and interesting in the series, while i somewhat liked it at first it was the game that started the decline in quality of DDRs.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
PixelKing said:
Title says it, and I think my game will kill any respect I had here previously.
It is, Marc Eckô's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure. I don't know why I liked it, it's most likely nostalgia as I am one of the youngest guys here (I am old enough to post, just in case you got some ideas). I'm sure I wouldn't like it much without the nostalgia, and just for the record, I did play this underage, and I haven't murdered anyone, so take that governments!
That's actually a really good game and I find it kinda bullshit the number of people who hate on it.

I haven't heard a single valid criticism about it, it always comes down to people bashing on the "gangsta" style. Yeah, I agree, ghetto culture is a bit stupid in itself, and yes the game was made by a clothing designer.

But you know what? I don't care about any of that and I have to give credit where credit is due. The game was very mechanically solid with a fairly well designed and developed combination of Prince of Persia-like platforming mechanics and beat-em-up style combat, all wrapped up in a well told story. Marc Ecko himself may be a bit of a douche, but he knew how to make a good game. Soundtrack was also very fitting for the entire thing, and in particular I loved how they used the song Sinner Man during the end.

Don't apologize for liking it.

(That said, the PC port was extremely lazy and the PS2 version has some controller lag, but aside from that it's very good game. I would suggest anyone who is curious about trying it give the Xbox version a shot if you have the option.)

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Viewtiful Joe. My friends are apparantly scared of anything from Japan and it was very anime-inspired. So that.

Also, Def Jam. I loved the old wrestling titles from the N64 and the Def Jam games, at least the first 2, captured a lot of what was good about them. The roster didn't mean much to me since I only like a little bit of Hip Hop, but the gameplay was solid and the character customization was pretty great too.

Andrew Record

Nov 28, 2011
Too Human
I dug the atmosphere, the look, the weapons, the armor, the classes, the enemies, the level design, all sorts of things. I hated the combat but it was autopilot after awhile. I was bummed to hear the sequels are probably DOA

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
DA2? Sure it's less than stellar but it doesn't really deserve the amount of "worst gaem evar!'s" the gaming community throws its way.

And Persona 4 is the only game i could ever call perfect, yet my friends refuse to give it the time of day. Probably because on paper the concept sounds really bad...

Probably the same thing with the Ace Attorney games.

Mikkel421427

Nov 10, 2010
Hmm... Well... Here goes nothing... Brink! Argh! *Ducks for cover* Please don't kill me... I did play TF2 before Brink and frankly... The only thing I enjoy more about TF2 than Brink is the fact that... I don't know... Most likely because that's what my friends were playing... So I had a slightly larger community. It's also harder to find games in Brink, but all my gripes with the game is the due to the small playerbase. I mean, come on people, they've improved the game! They did! Really!

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
The original Crysis.

I thought it was really fun, polished, the narrative was good, story wasn't that bad, graphics were amazing, the gameplay was innovative, LOADS of replay value.

But everyone else seems to despise it, even though I think it's the best FPS since HL2, or the original Far Cry.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
anthony87 said:
To be fair, they really weren't helping themselves with that ungodly inspid title (Revengeance...seriously?), that increadibly obnoxious trailer and the quite frankly baffling decision to set the game after MGS4. The swordplay itself looks fine and if they can actually make a decent stealth/hack and slash hybrid then I'd be very happy to see it but I'd rather they didn't just make another hack and slash that just happens to bear the Metal Gear title. I'm not going to completely lose my shit over one bad trailer, it just doesn't serve as a promising sign. Will have to wait for more info on it.

OT: Oh, forgot to answer this bit. Umm, FF9 and Crisis Core I guess, I don't think either of those get much love, but they're actually one of the few games from the FF series (haven't played anything in the NES era) that I enjoyed.