Games Everyone Seems to Care About that You Don't

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Hey there fellow gamers.

Is there a game or series of games that you don't really care about, but everyone else doesn't seem able to shut up? Does their inability to shut up about them make you more hostile towards the franchise?

I've got several, but I'll only give one so I don't make too many of you feel like piping in would be redundant.

Assassin's Creed. I've never really cared about the series. When the first one came out, I was somewhat interested, but I didn't play it for three reasons.
1. I didn't have a computer powerful enough for it and I hadn't bought my Xbox yet.
2. I have a fundamental problem with a stealth game that involves being among crowds where the protagonist wears an outfit that just screams "I'm here to do something dangerous and/or illegal." A brooding guy wearing an eye-concealing hood ain't subtle, guys.
3. Yahtzee's review mentioned some faults in the game mechanics that sounded too tedious and annoying to be worth it.

Now Assassin's Creed has had several sequels, and we're only now getting to the one that's officially named 3. It's practically got its own cult following and it's hard to find a forum or web-comic that doesn't have a nerd-gasm about Ezio at some point.

Edit: So apparently some viewers of this thread are under the impression that I've made another "Let's all be hipsters and bash the triple-A games!" thread. That's not the intention of this. Despite what they'd tell you, hipsters follow trends. They're the other kind of conformist. If Emo kids are the creepy larvae and pupae, hipsters are the disgusting and freakish adult moths. This isn't about following the trend of bashing trends. This isn't about hatred, it's about indifference that can become annoyance from all the noise.

To make it abundantly clear that this isn't a hipster thread, I'll share another game I'm sick of hearing about: League of Legends. That's right, you're allowed to list Indie games in this thread.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Mass Effect.

And yes, people never shutting up about it has made me dislike it that much more.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Portal and Half Life.

Not terrible games but not the second coming like some people claim they are.

Portal and Portal 2 were okay as time killers and I felt the Half Life games were average at best.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
templar1138a said:
I have a fundamental problem with a stealth game
I never really thought AC's main draw was stealthily assassinating people (yes, I know how counter-intuitive that sounds). I had the most fun just dicking around the cities with the excellent terrain navigation system.

OT: I never could get into the half-life games, which is odd because I love TF2, L4D, Portal,CSS, and just about everything else with the Valve logo slapped on it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The Half-Life games are probably the biggest offenders for me.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Uncharted, Portal (in fairness I've never actually tried Portal, just seen it in action, so I may be underestimating it), Bioshock, Team Fortress 2, Arkham games, I think that's it.

I don't mind people talking about them, up until the point when they tell me I'm wrong for not liking them.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Half life. Can't give less of a shit.
Also mass effect, I don't plan on playing them. Not that they're bad, I just am not very interested.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Grand Theft Auto series and Saints Row Series. Never been a big fan of the game, or their particular take on the genre.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
- Final Fantasy
- Metal Gear Solid
- Dragon Age

I don't particularly care about Metal Gear Solid/Final Fantasy (7 actually looks quite decent), but I actively dislike Dragon Age.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I might take a lot of flak for this... but oh well... Mario.

Now, don't get me wrong here... I grew up as a Nintendo kid. I owned every system they put out (console -and- handheld, yes, even the goddamn Virtual Boy) between the NES and the GameCube. Despite this, I -never- cared for Mario games.

So yeah... when I'm watching, say, "Escape to the Movies" and every other week there's a mid-credits clip from Moviebob gushing over Mario-themed plushies with tanooki suits or whatever... ugh. I just don't understand that fanaticism.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
I always thought of assassin's creed as a Dan Brown/Robert Ludlum novel with parkour.. and no amnesia.

and id say cod/boarderlands.. ive tried them (tho not rage yet) but just never them entertaining enough for a second glance (except perhaps nazi zombies with friends)

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Final Fantasy. I hate that series and every single insipid, stupid, androgynous anime character that has spawned from it. Its amazing that the JRPG equivalent of Madden isn't called on it just because it has... I don't know.. anime cutscenes?

Oh, and Half-Life. I'm sure its revolutionary and awesome and all that but I really can't be bothered.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, MGS, Halo, Any Total War game, and a bunch of others

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess that would be Mass Effect and Skyrim per say. I mean I know they're out for the PC but I can wait patiently for a special/ golden edition containing all the DLC's and what nots which will take a year or so to be out that if they intend to make one in the first place.

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
Any Bioware game and any Valve game. Especially Mass Effect, Portal and Half-Life. Please, people, can we shut up about these three games for just a little while? Please?

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Mass Effect 2 and 3. The first one I loved.
Final Fantasy series
Zelda series
All the CoD games after Call of Duty: United Offensive.
All the BF games after Battlefield 2.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas

Go ahead, criticize me all you want, but I didn't like it.

The atmosphere was so bland. And the actual settlement of New Vegas was extremely underwhelming.

It was just a big disappointment.