Games or developers you hate on principle

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I hate fanboys too. I have learned to not hate what a fanboy likes but instead to directly hate the fanboy (and punch him or her in the face when given the chance). Misdirecting your anger will only bring you sadness hate the player not the game.

I really don't hate anyone on principle but avoid games from a few companies simply because there usually work doesn't entice me.

JordanJefferson

Aug 7, 2010
Kaez said:
JordanJefferson said:
Kaez said:
JordanJefferson said:
Kaez said:
JordanJefferson said:
Actually, I personally just resent them because I just don't care for the idea of bringing out a game in parts. Either release the whole thing or don't release anything.
So you wanted a shorter story because you don't like games being split up, I guess you shouldn't play ANYTHING with sequels in regards to the same character/location, becuase that is the same thing. Most notable entries would be Halo/God of War/Gears of War/Thief 1-3/any Mario game/Zelda game/Metroid game (Prime is actually bad for this as 2-3 introduced Dark Samus as the major antagonist)/Half-Life 1-2 and Episodes 1-2/Portal 1-2 (knowing 2 isn't out yet)/Mass Effect 1-2 and eventually 3/Diablo 1-2-3.... I think there more, but it's generally the same as splitting 1 game into 3. And you'll probably say "But they were designed to be seperate games" to which my reply would be "So is Starcraft 2.... and if you have an issue with all the games being Starcraft 2, on your disc (or if you bought a digital copy) a peice of paper, add to Starcraft 2 a .3 and call it Starcraft 2.3, 2.6, and 2.9"
How exactly are you presuming that I EVER said I wanted a shorter game? Last I checked God of War III didn't get split up into GoW III: Blades of Exile, GoW III: Wrath of Olympus and Gow III: Dawn of Chaos, same goes with many of the games you mentioned. Sony gave us the whole game.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
theamazingbean said:
crowbarlove said:
Can someone tell me why I don't like Bioware? I really don't know why but after being really excited for mass effect 1 I got bored with it half way through and because of it have no interest in other Bioware games. I don't hate them but I don't understand all the praise. A few negative comments one of the heads said about jrpgs kinda made me mad but other than that I don't really know why I don't like them.
Bioware had half-decent storytelling skills. Some people feel this makes up for the lackluster gameplay their games exhibit. A smaller number of people feel that placing in the Special Olympics that is video game storytelling makes them the second coming of Jesus.
Bioware is OK at story telling but its real shine comes through on its charactors in my opinion. Alot of their stories offer you a diverse and interesting charactor lineup. Even their most cliche charactors have something about them that is interesting. As well, they often allow more role definement for your main charactor than alot of the competition out there. Until a developer really embraces the idea that choice = consequence instead of choice = good/evil they will hold a big audience for RPG fans. I personally see bioware as the first company with real potential to break free of this cycle as this is an area of the game Bioware pays a large focus to.
I don't feel that Bioware's gameplay is lackluster, it just doesn't have the execution that "top" action games offer. In the give and take system of great content delivery versus flawless game mechanics they strive in the former. Their gameplay is pretty average or even above average when you really look at the entire game market out there and use the term average at its very meaning. I wouldn't recommend a bioware game to someone looking for a good action based game. "Oh, you like Halo? You should try Mass Effect." That statement makes no sense. But replacing Halo with Bioshock or Fallout 3 does make sense.

That's just my take on it. I am a fan of RPGs so I am a Bioware fan. Bioware is where Troika was heading before they got axed. Troika was doing things in games back in the late 90s that people find "innovative" by today's standards. The business side to gaming oddly hurts itself at times.

As for PC gaming elitism - Elitism is the true plague of the gaming industry. It is the very nature behind this thread. It is probably the leading cause to about 40-60% of all threads started on this board. It is why Yahtzee is so popular. It is the root of the words l33t, pwn, uber, and many more. I almost made a thread about this entirely but could never be bothered to actually get it done. There is a huge trend in gaming today that is basically the attitude that "my opinion as a gamer is more important than yours." Whether it is because you like "better games" or you have "higher standards" all the way down to "I play this while you play that piece of crap system." Anyone that hates PC gaming because of a few elitist are only becoming what they despise. Ironic isn't it? Now you are an elitist console gamer because you have classified an entire set of people that have a preference to a system and deemed yourself better. I don't know if a calculator can count the amount of people on here that consider themselves above Wii fans on this board.

OT: WoW for me. It did nothing but polish a dying system in MMOs and effectively stall the evolution of the genre as other developers looked at the system as "hmm, maybe it CAN make money" and try to immulate it instead of try something new. Then the fanbase insists on calling every MMO that comes out a WoW clone. And what irks me about this is WoW has no room to talk about cloning other media. It foundation of mechanics is based heavily on the old MMO setup in Everquest and many other games like it. As well, the idea of Warcraft itself was taken from the miniatures game of Warhammer. So WoW is nothing but an amalgam copycat strategy. However, bringing any of this up in a conversation about MMOs will get met with rage and people will say I just dont like WoW because its cool to hate on WoW. And that irks me a little bit more as if it is unfathomable to not be mesmerized by this title of mediocrity.

Kaez

Jan 11, 2010
JordanJefferson said:
How exactly are you presuming that I EVER said I wanted a shorter game? Last I checked God of War III didn't get split up into GoW III: Blades of Exile, GoW III: Wrath of Olympus and Gow III: Dawn of Chaos, same goes with many of the games you mentioned. Sony gave us the whole game.
I'm presuming because your bent out of shape they didn't release one full game, and opted to make Starcraft II longer to give a better overall view of the story to the player through individualized campaigns as opposed to say releasing Starcraft 2 with shorter campaigns but all on the same disc. They made it perfectly clear that they were doing this so it would be easier to tell the story rather than try to cram it all in on one disc.

Naturally you could say this "Well they could have released all three games one 3 separate discs or all three campaigns at once seperately" to which my reply would be "No they couldn't, the development time would have been the same regardless after they chose to split the games into 3 campaigns, and rather then get part of it now you'd have to wait an extra two years. Two years when people have been waiting for at least 12 for anything related to Starcraft.... and since they announced this in roughly 2006 to 2007, that would have been a 5 year development cycle, which people would be entirely frustrated with as they would have to wait even longer."

And many of those games a mentioned have an overarching storyline that bleeds into one another. It could be said that GoW 1 and 2 and 3 are essentially the same as splitting Starcraft 2 into 3 games, because they have an overarching storyline.

Actually, a better example of that is Half Life 2.... they made the inital game and two episodes, but you didn't hear many complaining that it was split instead of being made into HL 3..... although we do have complainers about Episode 3 that doesn't seem to exist XD

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Rewold said:
I hate Infinity Ward. Something went terribly wrong with their game developing.
I'm pretty sure you mean "Activision pushing over Infinity Ward", seriously, just because they were rushed on only one game (which isnt even a bad game at all by a long shot) they dont deserve to be shat over so much*

*I know this is sounding like it's personal and that I'm taking on you, well not, this is more general =P

JordanJefferson

Aug 7, 2010
Kaez said:
JordanJefferson said:
I'm presuming because your bent out of shape they didn't release one full game, and opted to make Starcraft II longer to give a better overall view of the story to the player through individualized campaigns as opposed to say releasing Starcraft 2 with shorter campaigns but all on the same disc. They made it perfectly clear that they were doing this so it would be easier to tell the story rather than try to cram it all in on one disc.

Naturally you could say this "Well they could have released all three games one 3 separate discs or all three campaigns at once seperately" to which my reply would be "No they couldn't, the development time would have been the same regardless after they chose to split the games into 3 campaigns, and rather then get part of it now you'd have to wait an extra two years. Two years when people have been waiting for at least 12 for anything related to Starcraft.... and since they announced this in roughly 2006 to 2007, that would have been a 5 year development cycle, which people would be entirely frustrated with as they would have to wait even longer."

And many of those games a mentioned have an overarching storyline that bleeds into one another. It could be said that GoW 1 and 2 and 3 are essentially the same as splitting Starcraft 2 into 3 games, because they have an overarching storyline.

Actually, a better example of that is Half Life 2.... they made the inital game and two episodes, but you didn't hear many complaining that it was split instead of being made into HL 3..... although we do have complainers about Episode 3 that doesn't seem to exist XD
I did not get bent out of shape. It's just a basis of pricipal for me. Either come out with the whole thing or not at all.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Ekonk said:
OhJohnNo said:
Ekonk said:
GTFO and play Half-Life 2. Just do it. You won't be disappointed.

ANYWAYYYY: In before Kotick.
OhJohnNo said:
(As an aside, my copy of Half Life 2 - which I received as a present - doesn't like the way I plug my Xbox 360 into a computer monitor instead of a TV to play, so it doesn't work. I have this problem with a lot of original Xbox games, it's irritating as I can't find out for myself whether the game is any good or not.)
Yeah. Like I said, irritating.
I know, but find a way. To quote our god, mr. Croshaw, "sometimes things are popular because they are good". It's one of those times.
I honestly don't see why you care so much, half life is just a generic first person shooter with some pretty guns and a decent story, since when has a 7/10 game modeled after the single most fucking abundant gameplay style in xbox history been worthy of godhood?

Seriously It's just another FPS, theres only 6000 of those around.

Kaez

Jan 11, 2010
JordanJefferson said:
Kaez said:
JordanJefferson said:

I did not get bent out of shape. It's just a basis of pricipal for me. Either come out with the whole thing or not at all.
That seems silly to condemn a game company because they were trying to give as much entertainment as they could. True they did go about it slightly wrong (prolly charge 50-60 dollars for each) but it seems that they really wanted to help bring a high amount of entertainment to the customers. So you would have rather waited til at least 2012 for a game had they not split it up but provided the amount of content they intended when they split it up into three games. It's not like they created the game and intentionally left things out so you could get it through DLC.

Actually lets go back in time, technically every game that has an expansion is considered an unfinished game until you installed that expansion. Generally companies used to release expansions to include things that didn't make the cut, or could improve on the existing formula, things they wanted int he initial game, but do to time constraints or budget issues or simply not knowing how to first implement it released an unfinished game (some more polished then others). I suppose you didn't pay for those either? If you did, you technically go against your own principals.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Hisshiss said:
Ekonk said:
OhJohnNo said:
Ekonk said:
GTFO and play Half-Life 2. Just do it. You won't be disappointed.

ANYWAYYYY: In before Kotick.
OhJohnNo said:
(As an aside, my copy of Half Life 2 - which I received as a present - doesn't like the way I plug my Xbox 360 into a computer monitor instead of a TV to play, so it doesn't work. I have this problem with a lot of original Xbox games, it's irritating as I can't find out for myself whether the game is any good or not.)
Yeah. Like I said, irritating.
I know, but find a way. To quote our god, mr. Croshaw, "sometimes things are popular because they are good". It's one of those times.
I honestly don't see why you care so much, half life is just a generic first person shooter with some pretty guns and a decent story, since when has a 7/10 game modeled after the single most fucking abundant gameplay style in xbox history been worthy of godhood?

Seriously It's just another FPS, theres only 6000 of those around.
I agree, I wasn't much impressed with Half-Life but then again I am not a FPS fan by nature. Battlefield 2142, Halo, and Ghost Recon were my favorites. Beyond that, MW1 then 2 were alright. If you want to see the content in half-life and be entertained watch this:

Episode 2-30 for season 1. It is a work in progress. Pretty good though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9C78b_FhKA&list=SL&playnext=1 episode 2-30 for season 1. It is a work in progress.

freedomweasel

Sep 24, 2010
Karim Saad said:
EA (duh)
Square because of FF13
Codemasters since F1 2010
What did codemasters do to F1? I've been waiting on a few more reviews before purchasing.

OT: Game wise I don't think I have any games or developers that I outright avoid on any principles. There are of course games I choose not to purchase because I don't think they're fun. If however, not fun game part 2 changed everything and was fun, I'd buy it.

JordanJefferson

Aug 7, 2010
Kaez said:
JordanJefferson said:
That seems silly to condemn a game company because they were trying to give as much entertainment as they could. True they did go about it slightly wrong (prolly charge 50-60 dollars for each) but it seems that they really wanted to help bring a high amount of entertainment to the customers. So you would have rather waited til at least 2012 for a game had they not split it up but provided the amount of content they intended when they split it up into three games. It's not like they created the game and intentionally left things out so you could get it through DLC.

Actually lets go back in time, technically every game that has an expansion is considered an unfinished game until you installed that expansion. Generally companies used to release expansions to include things that didn't make the cut, or could improve on the existing formula, things they wanted int he initial game, but do to time constraints or budget issues or simply not knowing how to first implement it released an unfinished game (some more polished then others). I suppose you didn't pay for those either? If you did, you technically go against your own principals.
I'm not condemning Blizzard. And your long-winded explanations don't change the fact that Wings of Liberty is still 1/3rd of the whole game.

JavaJoeCoffee

Sep 2, 2010
Interplay beacuse they shutdown Black Isle.

Also, IMHO HL2 is linear and kinda boring and there are like 3 enemies in the whole game. Sure the level design is nice, but there's no replay value and the episodes are seriously meh.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Zynga and Activision, for their absolute lack of ethics.

I realize the point of a corporation is profit, but Zynga is still criminal and Kotick is still a prick.

Kaez

Jan 11, 2010
JordanJefferson said:
I'm not condemning Blizzard. And your long-winded explanations don't change the fact that Wings of Liberty is still 1/3rd of the whole game.
Well you don't like the fact they did something they felt would appease the consumer, giving three times the initial content, and they made this known years before Starcraft 2: WoL was even released.

And yeah, most developers that develop an expansion simply add content that they couldn't get in the core game. I'm sure you bought Starcraft long ago (unless you were too young an age to get it when it launched) and subsequently the expansion Brood War. 9 times out 10 the content in the Brood War disc was actually stuff that was on the intial core disc, but didn't actually get coded into the final version. Hence an "unfinished" game, which sadly would be against your principals.

And for that matter, actually most games these days are "unfinished" if they are on anything but the wii and nintendo's systems in general, as most developers can't fit content into the game due to their release schedule. Do you buy those too? If you do, your going against your principals again. Unless you wait for every DLC to be released and thne company doesn't support it anymore, then you buy it for reduced prices?

As long winded as they are, they pretty much prove a point that as much as you care about that principal, it is flawed in regards to this day an age. I would assume if we lived in the 1980's when consoles were king and 56k modems were "fast", then I couldn't say it's flawed, because the good games were the finished ones, and the bad ones weren't (Most of the time).

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
fanboys and eliteist for their utter lack of the ability to listen to an argumen and respond to it logically

besides that the whole console war and consoles vs pc they all have their own advantages and disadvantages are these people so lacking in confidence of their choice that they must defend it to other people who don't fucking care because their choice only affect them.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
No_Remainders said:
Bethesda. I said it.

I hate them because of what they did to Fallout 3, and more importantly, the fact that they're greedy pricks who took legal action against Interplay over NOTHING!
Bethesda. There, I said it too.