Games that Actually Scared You

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft. No, not the zombies, creepers or endermen though they can startle me. But the whole game seems just eerie to me and creepy music is also not helping. Also I have unresonable fear of endless empty places, thats why I spend most of my time there underground or between hills. (AAAA! Its space! No, I mean land.)

May 25, 2010
Demon's Souls. Finally a game that remembers that the best way to convey horror in a video game is to make the player feel vulnerable. I don't care if it's supposed to be an action-RPG, Demon's Souls is HORROR.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
The demo for Condemned.
I don't really play horror games. Never saw the appeal.

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
Amnesia is probably the scariest game I've ever played. FEAR Files (some expansion to FEAR 1) was pretty scary at times, but most of the time the "scare" scenes only felt annoying. Stalker SoC was pretty scary at some times.
Can't think of anything else...

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat; f*ck Clear Sky)....a thousand times.

There's just something creepy about having to clear out bloodsucker infested villages in the middle of the night while a thunderstorm (+ downpour) is raging.

Night in Stalker games is not your average videogame night atmosphere (The p*ssy kind: perfect visibility, just a different use of the color palette). It is pitch-black. You won't see shit without your flashlight (which helps just barely) or night-vision equipment.

Kaland

Jan 22, 2011
New Troll said:
Bad Mojo. Arachnophobia did NOT help! Damn spiders, every time.
Yes, someone else played bad mojo!! I love this game, and you, for having played it. I remember being creeped out already at the very start in the part with the spider and the cigarette.

As for games that actually scared me, Amnesia:TDD. It's the answer of most people for a reason. Demon's Souls scared me too, in the beginning. As someone mentioned already, you get used to its world of misery pretty soon though.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Every single person who has ever played Amnesia have either been close to or actually shat their pants.
Anyone who says otherwise has either not played the game or is just plain lying.

Strangeronpcp

Mar 31, 2011
Metro 2033 i hope the nest one will ceep the atomsfear and i hope they will not make it in to a cod clone

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
The only genuinely scary games to me are the Silent Hill series (about half of them), Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Demon Soul's, Clock Tower and Eternal Darkness (my save file! NOOOOOO!!!!). Dead Space was not scary. Left 4 Dead is not scary. Resident Evil is not scary.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
duktapeman90 said:
Edit: Oh yeah, Minecraft, especially exploring caves solo.
Awe man! You edit ninja'd me.

But yeah, I don't know what it is, but even playing in peaceful mode, exploring in the dark depths still feels creepy.

I guess it is the classic fear of the unknown, or breaking a bit of stone wall and lava comes pouring out.
It's worse when I sometimes hear the sounds of footsteps and digging nearby. I don't give two shits what Notch says, Herobine exists and that fucker is hunting me. Other scary games include Bioshock, Dead Space and Fallout 3.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
Amnesia, of course, but then a few parts of Fallout 3 as well. It seems weird, but some parts of that game freaked me out

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Amnesia Amnesia Amnesia. Good golly this game is scary, but it's hilarious to watch other peoples reaction to the game. I found this video some time ago

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
kittii-chan 300 said:
i was terrified of the mansion of madness in timesplitters(
I'd forgotten about that level. Damn DeerHaunter in Timesplitters Future Perfect. That creepy moose thing.

OT:I tend to shy away from horror in general so one of the earliest things that scared me in a video game that I can remember was in Jack and Daxter. When I crashed a water vehicle and a lurker shark attacked me I was pretty scared.
I was quit young but I've always been creeped out by deep water because of the idea of a giant fish swimming up from below. Not sure why.
The same fear stopped me from playing one part of MGS3 because I was convinced there would be crocodiles or something.

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
Minecraft. Look into the dark segments of a cave and tell me you don't get uncomfortable.

Also, the new music discs are generally quite nice. Then you find the broken disc that plays a track simply called "11". Take a listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2YckuyQC8&feature=related

PEACEFUL MODE FOREVER.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
FEAR/Extraction Point/Perseus Mandate
Penumbra/Amnesia

kebab4you said:
Cobbs said:
As you may or may not have guessed, the topic of this forum is games or part of a game that scared you, or maybe someone you know. Was the game supposed to be scary? (A la Dead Space, Amnesia, Left 4 Dead) or did some part of the gameplay strike some nerve in your terror receptors?
>Dead Space
>Scary
>Wat
I could see how people could find Dead Space scary (to me in was more funny because the creatures jumped out, pretty much said "booga booga", then tried to attack you), but Left 4 Dead? Left 4 Dead has the horror theme, but was far from scary. It didn't even have the "this could be scary" feel to it. Especially the second one. They kinda took away the horror element there.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
So far... none.

I've played Amnesia and Dead Space and most of the other obvious answers and never found them frightening.

I've sometimes winced at games and felt uncomfortable playing them, but I've never had one of those "ohshitohshitohshitohshithesstandingoutsidemydoor" moments.