Games that are better on easy

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Hey all, I've always found it really interesting how difficulty settings can change my enjoy of a game so drastically. I usually play through on the default difficulty but there have been some games where I've dropped it down to an easier setting and found myself enjoying the game so much more. So what about you? What are some games you've found yourself enjoy more on the easy setting? I'll go first...

Killzone 2/3 - I found the game much more satisfying and enjoyable when the average grunt wasn't a meat shield. Pumping half a clip into a guy only to see that he's still kicking was very disheartening.

Minecraft - Playing on peaceful (no monster spawns) is great; you can focus on just seeing the amazing sights without having to worry about getting exploded off a ledge because some suicide bomber monster spawned right behind you. That being said, I do like to turn on monster spawns now and then for the combat aspect of the game; it really depends on the mood I'm in.

I'll post more as I think of them.

fireaura08

Apr 10, 2012
Bayonetta. I'm terrible at action games and normal was way too hard for me. I had to crank it down to easy when I met the first boss (chapter 4-ish).

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I find that games on easy difficulties are a "different" kind of fun. As I always say, sometimes I want to be at the finish line first, sometimes I just want to enjoy the walk - along the same road.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
fireaura08 said:
Bayonetta. I'm terrible at action games and normal was way too hard for me. I had to crank it down to easy when I met the first boss (chapter 4-ish).
I had the opposite experience I felt Bayonetta only came alive on hard while Non stop climax was ok but removed the fun central mechanic so was not as enjoyable. But I would say any game is better on an easier difficulty if you are not enjoying it due to it being to hard on the difficulty its on after all games are usually meant to be fun first and foremost which usually comes from providing an appropriate challenge make it to easy its boring too hard and its frustrating.

I find most beat em ups better on normal or easy because on the harder difficulties the AI can become unstoppable killing machines especially OP final bosses sure sometimes I like testing my skills to the max against these guys but usually I prefer to mess about and try new tactics without being brutally punished for every mistake, so easy it is.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Mass Effect 1. It's the only one I've played, and I know combat is supposed to be much better in the sequels, but damn. Easy is the only way I can get my useless squadmates to survive a battle, so I don't spend five minutes hiding behind a wall waiting for my shields/biotics/techs to recharge. The game also has a habit of throwing nonsensically powerful enemies at you, like a Krogan that becomes invincible and charges you, or several robots with insta-kill sniper rifles.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Way of the Samuri 3 if you can't learn how to parry (I couldn't)

Or as a rule of thumb any game that's combat system is too much of a grind or broken, whilst still good enough to play for the story alone.

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
Luca72 said:
Mass Effect 1. It's the only one I've played, and I know combat is supposed to be much better in the sequels, but damn. Easy is the only way I can get my useless squadmates to survive a battle, so I don't spend five minutes hiding behind a wall waiting for my shields/biotics/techs to recharge. The game also has a habit of throwing nonsensically powerful enemies at you, like a Krogan that becomes invincible and charges you, or several robots with insta-kill sniper rifles.
I thought Mass Effect 1 wasn't too bad on insanity, apart from that fight with Matriach Benezia, that fight is stupid. Mass Effect 2 was downright broken in some places on insanity.

If you ever play the CoD game for the single player because you are interested in the story then they are always better on the lower difficulties, fuck the rage inducing Veteran grenade spam mode

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
Running through storms of casual bots on Gears 3 is fun. That's why horde is such a blast.

the abyss gazes also

Professional Over Thinker
Apr 10, 2012
If there is a game like Infamous that has different paths to take, on the first play through I'll play default or max difficulty, and then to get the other story quicker I bump it down to easy.

[quote="dagens24" post="9.381263.15009001"
Minecraft - Playing on peaceful (no monster spawns) is great; you can focus on just seeing the amazing sights without having to worry about getting exploded off a ledge because some suicide bomber monster spawned right behind you. That being said, I do like to turn on monster spawns now and then for the combat aspect of the game; it really depends on the mood I'm in.
[/quote]

If I'm working on a big building project I usually bump it down so I don't need to worry about creepers blowing up me and my project.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I like most games to be tough because I get my enjoyment out of being challenged but if turning the difficulty up just means that AI has exorbitant amounts of health, deals ridiculous damage and cheats then I'll lower the difficulty until I think the challenge is fair on me.

With that said, I play most shooters on lower difficulties due to AI attaining wallhacks and aimbots when you turn it high.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I no longer have the kind of free time to play games until I've mastered them, so playing on an easier difficulty means I'll more likely finish it without wanting to kill somebody or scream at the top of my lungs. It really hurts me in the completion rating, though, because most games like to piss all over you for not playing on the hardest setting.

Personally, I just prefer games to be easy instead of hard. If the gameplay is fun I don't care either way, but if it feels like I'm hitting brick walls on level 1.. on NORMAL.. then I think there's a problem.

I was actually having this kinda conversation with some friends on different mediums of communication; tumblr, facebook, GOG.com, etc. There's too many games that pander to the "challenge enthusiasts" while leaving players that love games but don't have godly skills high-and-dry, as it were. Then you have games like Mario Galaxy which're aimed at a younger audience, but are so hard most players will never get to see Luigi outside of YouTube.

It's gotten to the point where I just cheat (on single player) when I get sick of dealing with the nonsense and just want to enjoy the game I spent good money on and can't return because it was a digital purchase or it took me more than 7 freaking days to get around to playing it cause I have a LIFE.

..sorry, got a bit frustrated there.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
It depends what I want from my games. If I want a story then I'll go straight to the easiest settings. If I want a challenge, then I crank it up. Games like Half life, Metro, Minecraft, Warcraft 3 and Skyrim for examples, I set the difficulty down low so I can enjoy the experience. Yet when I want to challenge myself I may crank them up, see just how much skill I have to carry me through the game.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
TrevHead said:
Or as a rule of thumb any game that's combat system is too much of a grind or broken, whilst still good enough to play for the story alone.
Exactly this for me. Easy is for a game whose combat isn't really all that fun, where I'm not being amused by the "puzzle" of how to fight my way through a level. But maybe that game has something else to offer that makes it worth playing. Like someone said, Mass Effect 1 is perhaps the prime example of this. It's not that I can't play on harder difficulties, it's just that it takes too long. That and if I stayed on Normal with forays into Easy for boss fights, I didn't have to sweat inventory management (I feel drowsy just thinking about ME1's inventory system) But the story was good and worth playing at least once.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Starcraft 2 (the original didn't have difficulty settings.) I'd play through it the first time on at least normal otherwise it's no challenge at all, but afterwards it can be fun to replay certain missions on easy just laugh maniacally as you kick the computer's teeth in.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
TrevHead said:
Way of the Samuri 3
There's a Way of the Samurai 3? I didn't even know there was a 2nd. I loved the first one, going to have to look that up.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Mass Effect 1, for sure.

Maybe Max Payne 3 too. Just played it for first time on Normal, died 100+ times, probably would be funner on Easy but I can't confirm it.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
TrevHead said:
Way of the Samuri 3
There's a Way of the Samurai 3? I didn't even know there was a 2nd. I loved the first one, going to have to look that up.
There's also a 4th although It's unlocalised in the PAL region.

Heres a tip, if you are looking for the best ending (ie the village faction) expect to be fail in your first playthough as theres a massive difficulty spike which will catch you unprepared. If you don't like replays make sure you save often and use alot of save slots