Games that defeated you.

The Smoking Gun

Mar 9, 2012
I consider myself a completionist and like to squeeze every drop of value out of my games, so i tend to play on the hardest difficulty after a normal or hard (if I'm feeling masochistic) play through of any given game to enjoy a challenge and say ii finished it. There are however some exceptions... Some soul crushing control breaking exceptions...

For me its always been the God of War series on the highest difficulty. I always think its a good idea, but then i hit a wall that i keep bashing my head against until i relent and admit defeat.

In GoW 1 it was the Ares fight (so...close...)
In GoW 2 fucking Thesseus (I only stopped because my controller broke under mysterious circumstances...)
In GoW 3 the Cereberus Breeder and those Satyrs near the end (seriously just NO)

So have any of you ever come across a game that just utterly defeated you?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
-Banjo Kazooie

-Rusty Bucket Bay

-The Engine Room

-Falling to my death with 94/100 notes collected for that level

Let it be known, that engine room is the only place in the entire game where there exists a bottomless pit like that for you to fall into. Very soul-crushing indeed.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
The secret boss in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

No amount of leveling up can beat this ************. It's just frustratingly difficult for the sake of being difficult.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
The first Gears of War on the hardest difficulty. I just couldn't beat the final boss, RAAM. Even attempts to glitch him out resulted in failure. I eventually just called it. The final boss is just not fun to fight and the mechanics a little broken.

Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja mode. I reached the big silver worm boss at the end of level 3, but he just kept killing me over and over again. I think if I had stuck it out I could have beaten him, and the games a cake walk after that, but I was just so fatigued by the ordeal of beating level 2, especially the fight where you get the trials key (probably the hardest section of a game I've ever beaten), that I just had no spirit left in me to go on with the game. That game literaly broke my will to go on.

The first level of Halo 2 on legendary. I've beaten every other level, but the second boarding party is imposibly hard. A friend and I tried to tackle it together over LAN, and it still managed to beat us. It kind of killed the night for us - stressed us out and put us in a bad mood.

Every RTS and Fighting game I've ever gone online with.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
These three-
Ghoul N Ghost (the game itself)
Dullahan (Golden Sun: The Lost Age) especially when he used the Djnn Storm spell. Nothing I did can make fully withstand against his attacks.
Olga Flow in Phantasy Star Online Episode 2. After normal mode he's a beast. The first part was already hard but when you face him again in his two legs mode, he's just unstopable since he walk about (he's also huge) and also spwan those serpent thing aswell. In another word, you cannot defeat him on your won.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
X3, if you don't want me to play your game, then I won't. You win game. I shouldn't have to go through a six week learning course to learn how to play it.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well there's the original Rayman for the PS1.

HOLY FUCK that game is hard. If the game didn't require you to be a completionist, I probably wouldn't mind the crazy difficulty. But no, you have to find ALL the electoons before you're given the privilege to go to the final level.

And yet I keep finding myself sucked back in by it's lovely art style and it's music. I'm currently in Picture City at the moment after a three month long hiatus from the game.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
...Mostly fighting games. Otherwise I do not let the game defeat me. I find a way, or I keep trying.

For fighting game examples, Soul Calibur 2, hardest difficulty. I was against Ivy, and.. I know at the time, I was not bad at the game, I could beat the AI on the hardest difficulty. It was just Ivy. I'd be knocked to the ground and killed before I could move. Stun locked. Not a single chance in hell to win.

So, yeah..I guess that defeated me.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Sonic the Hedgehog '06, this can explain it:

Can I wipe my achievments for that game now? I feel dirty knowing that I actually beat it.....

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Trying to run your own kingdom on mount and blade can get difficult with 1000 troops knocking on your doorstep every few in game weeks....

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Super Meat Boy Dark World, Chapter 4 (Hell) and onward.
Fuck. That. Shit.

My controller still suffers post traumatic stress disorder after the day of trying to get through that shit.

To be fair this guy uses different characters and I couldn't be bothered to go grab the bandages so I attempted them all as Meat Boy.

AAARGH.

Aric Flowers

Mar 26, 2011
Mirrors Edge. I thought that the game didn't want me to win so I suffered through trying to make the same jump at least 45 times, then beat the game, then threw it on blockbusters doorstep.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Super Ghouls & Ghosts.
I did the whole game, found the bracelet, did the whole game again and died. Fuck.

Golden Axe.
Love this game but I get stuck somewhere around the black skeletons & regular goons (I think). It's been a while but I'm fairly sure I'll never manage to legitimately finish it.

Devil May Cry 3 (Dante Must Die)
Vergil. Just Vergil.

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country, DK64 and Rayman 1, but not so much as I couldn't beat them but I never got to finishing them.

Even with DKC on my Wii, I refuse to play it with a Gamecube controller.
Such an utter pain in the ass to do so.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I bought my copy on Steam, which apparently comes with a bug where during the battleship section where you're supposed to snipe the fishmen sorcerers with the main canon they turn invisible and your turret can't zoom in. That was the first time I gave up. Then I found a thread on the Steam forums this past December pointing out a mod to the game that allows you to skip that portion after three tidal waves passed, which I immediately downloaded and proceeded to play from the beginning to get back in the mood. After gutting Father Dagon and fighting my way through the underwater city to Mother Hydra, I got to the point where you're supposed to escape the city as it falls apart around you. No matter how times I've replayed it, as soon as I reach the wooden portcullis that Sebastian Marsh trapped you in earlier, I get flattened by the falling ceiling. I spent three straight hours trying to get past that point. I always avoided falling debris on the way, I took the shortest route from point A to B that shaved entire milliseconds and what do I get? Boom. Fall. Splat. This was literally the last minute of game play, and I couldn't get past it again because of buggy programming.