Games that defeated you.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
scorptatious said:
Terminate421 said:
Sonic the Hedgehog '06, this can explain it:

Can I wipe my achievments for that game now? I feel dirty knowing that I actually beat it.....
I never even bothered playing after beating Sonic's story. I got about partway through both Shadow and Silver's story before quitting.

To think, I was looking forward to playing this game when I bought it. -_-

captcha: you win

Huh. How very appropriate for this thread.
Both of you made it farther than I did. I never finished any of the stories. In Sonic's story I got to the train level before giving up. In Silver's, it was the swamp level (where the FUCK is the exit???). and in Shadow's... I forget.
From what I've seen in playthroughs of that game, that swamp level's design is absolute garbage. Hell, you play as Rouge in that level at one point and you can practically skip the entire level by just climbing and gliding in the general direction of the exit.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Dragon age: origins on nightmare. God it's so fucking hard, and it fucking cheats. Especially broodmother. I might be able to beat it this time, I've been doing really well, but I haven't gotten to broodmother yet so we'll see.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
scorptatious said:
canadamus_prime said:
scorptatious said:
Terminate421 said:
Sonic the Hedgehog '06, this can explain it:

Can I wipe my achievments for that game now? I feel dirty knowing that I actually beat it.....
I never even bothered playing after beating Sonic's story. I got about partway through both Shadow and Silver's story before quitting.

To think, I was looking forward to playing this game when I bought it. -_-

captcha: you win

Huh. How very appropriate for this thread.
Both of you made it farther than I did. I never finished any of the stories. In Sonic's story I got to the train level before giving up. In Silver's, it was the swamp level (where the FUCK is the exit???). and in Shadow's... I forget.
From what I've seen in playthroughs of that game, that swamp level's design is absolute garbage. Hell, you play as Rouge in that level at one point and you can practically skip the entire level by just climbing and gliding in the general direction of the exit.
Wherever the hell that is.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I haven't played a game I couldn't beat on the highest difficulty. That being said, I stopped playing MW2 online because now that a couple games have come out after it in the series, there are so many vision hacks, which makes the mass grenade launchers even more ridiculous

HorseManDemon

May 14, 2008
God Hand. Hard mode. Oh, I beat it on normal difficulty without too many problems. I go back to it every now and again, thinking THIS will be the time. Can't get past Elvis's mansion. It's early in the game, so I don't have crap worth of decent attacks, and I just get curb stomped once I get to the room with the pedestals where the enemies drop from the ceiling.

Fun game, but fuck is it hard.

Syndarr

Mar 28, 2008
Metal Gear Solid 2. I always wanted to try the MGS games for the crazy shit they pull and the way they screw with the player. And, okay, I'll admit it...I especially wanted to try MGS2 because of naked Raiden. :3 But anyway, I tried for about half an hour to get through just the first section of the game, on the boat, and I kept getting spotted and killed over and over and over again, and eventually I just gave up. I am really, really bad at stealth games. I had a similar experience with Tenchu, though at least in Tenchu I got to the third boss or so.

Resident Evil 4. Sort of a similar story. Borrowed the PS2 version from a friend, played for about half an hour, kept getting ripped apart or chainsawed before I could get anywhere I needed to go. Not only do I suck at stealth games, I have terrible accuracy under pressure, so I couldn't kill zombies fast enough to get the breathing room I needed. I do much better with slower-paced survival horror games, like Silent Hill, where I'm not expected to pull off headshots every time. I hear the Wii version has better controls; I wonder if I would have done any better with that.

Hunter: The Reckoning: Wayward. I played this game co-op with my then-boyfriend, and we got stuck in the...I think it was the prison level? Or something like that. We'd had a hell of a time getting past the factory, but the prison just destroyed us. We tried time and time again, with every character/weapon combination we could think of, but no dice.

AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity. A friend of mine gifted this game to me on Steam, and to be honest, I have no idea why. I didn't ask for it or anything, it just showed up out of the blue. I figured I'd give it a shot, but found it so uninteresting and needlessly fiddly that I quit after ten minutes.

Joey Bolzenius

Sep 9, 2011
Dragon Quest/Warrior 1-7, with the exception of the utterly gorgeous and charming Dragon Quest 8 this series has made me feel complete and utter hopelessness with its necessary relentless grinding and brutal difficulty. Call me a wuss, a youngster whose always got it easy in games but damn folks DQ 1-7 just don't have that presentation value that even the NES Final Fantasy games have. I mean the music, yes I dig the DQ main theme but so much of the music kind of feels bland and not inspiring. Brutal difficulty and mundane leveling against the same regular enemies needs some stellar music to keep me feeling like I have a chance and a reason to progress.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Ultima 4, with its case of "WHERE THE FUCK DO I GO NOW" although I will eventually return to it and finish it
Morrowind due to its assbackwards gameplay, slow as fuck and clunky as shit
Fallout 3, I got far in that game and then it became an assload of boredom and tedium

and that's about it so far

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
Dragon Quest 8 - The constant need to grind just to be able to get to the next town was very annoying to me.

Final Fantasy 13 - Couldn't even make it to the beginning of the third chapter I didn't even feel like I was playing for fun. It felt like I was just trying to reach the next point which never has happen to me before when I play a game.

Rogue Galaxy - I loved that game and I still do but that damn weapon synthesis was a major pain in the ass for me.

Sonic 3 - Is it possible to even get all 7 chaos emeralds in your first run or do you have to constantly play it over again just to get them?

Sonic and the Secret Rings - That games controls sucked so hard I barely managed to get anywhere in the game before I had to give up.

Metroid Prime 2 - Holy crap I don't mind a challenge but good god they went a little overboard on that game why were the space pirates so damn hard to kill!?!?

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
The Witcher 2, Vergen sequence.

Oh, you want me to collect a list of ingredients for a ***** I hate? Fuck you game.

Roche 4 life.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
Djinn8 said:
The first Gears of War on the hardest difficulty. I just couldn't beat the final boss, RAAM. Even attempts to glitch him out resulted in failure. I eventually just called it. The final boss is just not fun to fight and the mechanics a little broken.
It is to my eternal shame that I only beat RAAM on Insane mode when he glitched out on the fallen body of Dom (on my 34th attempt) and I blind fired him to death with my last clip... I cannot bear to use the special DP you unlock as I know that I did not truly beat him :'(

It is now my life's goal to write a brutal Death Metal song based on that boss fight... GENERAL RAAM!!

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Max Payne 3 - The game just isn't hard on the hardest setting available on the first playthrough, and all it's minor balance issues become all the more visible. I got about 80% in and stopped. If I ever pick it up again, I'll probably set the difficulty lower. IF.

Dragon Age 2 - Gah, the combat ended up so samey that I just set it on the easiest setting to get the story over with. Big mistake, if any game needed a marauder shields t save you from the ending, that would be it.

Dwarf Fortress - you practically need a 128 page illustrated manual to learn to damn game. I could appreciate what I saw, but I just wasn't willing to put the time in to subdue the interface.

Aeonknight said:
The Last Remnant.

Why? Because fuck randomized command options, that's why.
It's actually not as bad as everyone makes it seem. Disable all but the most powerful physical attack,aoe spell, healing and condition control skill, on each character in a union, and then try to group each character by similar abilities. I'm about 70% through the game and at this point it's nothing but remant nukes and ultima spells flying everywhere. Boss battles are a faceroll.

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
Redlin5 said:
I thought I could beat Starfox until...

I've never gotten past it, even at my best.
Actually, it's easier on the SNES due to lag and there's an exploit you can use to avoid those transparent bars, only taking occasional scratches at worst.

Go into first person view and hug the bottom right corner. It also helps to spam the retros.

The-Fiction

Sep 9, 2011
Azurian said:
Sonic 3 - Is it possible to even get all 7 chaos emeralds in your first run or do you have to constantly play it over again just to get them
There are at least 2 giant rings on each act of each level, so it is possible.

Doesn't mean it's not a giant pain in the ass though!

EDIT: In response to the OP, the dang blasted Sonic The Hedgehog game on 360 the others have already mentioned... Dear god. Why did I buy you?

Just noticed the massive necropost aha. I never look at thread dates :/

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
OT: Only The Witcher 2 on insanity mode. I was actually kicking ass at it, got to the 2nd chapter. Then they released the new EE mode and cranked up the difficulty, which I didn't know about. Died in like two seconds. After 8 hours restarting, for 4 attempted run throughs I finally gave up. Its literally the only game I can say I ever gave up on because it was too difficult(not that I gave up on it, just turned the difficulty down.) The worst was getting one-shoted by a rotfiend.

spartan231490 said:
Dragon age: origins on nightmare. God it's so fucking hard, and it fucking cheats. Especially broodmother. I might be able to beat it this time, I've been doing really well, but I haven't gotten to broodmother yet so we'll see.
As someone who played through dragon age on nightmare mode without pausing the game ever; a bit of advice:

-Make your character a mage.
-Always roll with at least two mages in your party. I find myself and Morrigan to be an effective team. Morrigan gets good damage with frost spells, and has some nice utility spells.
-If you use your two mages effectively, you should be able to permanently stunlock around 80% of the enemy force.
-Set up AI strategy routines. Having your mages auto heal can make the game a breeze.
-If you have a level 4 herbalist/alchemist, you can make potent lyrium potions for profit and get all the high end artifacts.
-Learn the more useful spells and spell combinations. Sleep+nightmare can do very high single target damage. Mana clash can pretty much kill enemy mages in a single blast. Casting forcefield on one of your own guys, can make them into an impossible to kill tank for like 20 seconds.

-In specific regard to the broodmother. Get at least 3 ranged characters, and tell all of them to hold position. There is a rock directly opposite the broodmother that you want to stand on top of. The broodmother cant put tentacles up there so you are free to shoot from a range. The darkspawn that can reach you should only be a minor nuisance. Continuously cast a large AOE spell like blizzard or tempest, on top of the broodmother(but don't stack them because storm of the century will make the AOE too wide and you will hit your own party.) If you brought a melee character, control them to stay on top of the rock and engage the dark spawn that come after you. At that point it's more about keeping heals up and plinking the broodmother to death; which should not be that difficult with two mages in the party. At least so long as you don't expend mana too heavily; reserve it for heals for the most part.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Z of the Na said:
-Banjo Kazooie

-Rusty Bucket Bay

-The Engine Room

-Falling to my death with 94/100 notes collected for that level

Let it be known, that engine room is the only place in the entire game where there exists a bottomless pit like that for you to fall into. Very soul-crushing indeed.
That is always the last jiggie for me to get, and I hate it so much.
Jumping through propellers and flipping two switches, and racing back out in time to collect the jiggie, all whilst avoiding the insta death pit.
It took SO MANY TRIES.

But Tooie defeated me far more but for a different reason. There's tons more things to think about it any level, and the levels are complicated and connected so it's hard to know how much of the level will be completable when you first enter it.