Games that disappointed you

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
J-Val said:
Oh yes, and of course the main offender; Shadowrun.
Shallow gameplay, poor combat, weapons lacked variety - only five of them, including a useless katana and two guns which are essentially the same - and the whole thing just lacked finesse. I've always been against the idea of pure online games - at the least they could have Bots - but this game was just terrible. It was like the premature illegitimant offspring of Counter-Strike while it was on heroin. Major dissapointment.
I'm 100% with you. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm one of the people who went sideways when "Shadowrun" was released as a multiplayer FPS. A complete and total waste of amazing potential. "Shadowrun" for the SNES holds up as one of my favorite games period and more than deserves a next-gen makeover.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
Elder Scrolls Oblivion - I was expecting Morrowind with graphics, physics and nice graphics, just didn't get delivered.
Neverwinter Nights - Didn't live up to Baldur's Gate 1 or 2
Halo - The way eveyone obsessed about it you would have thought it put wads of cash into you hands. It ended up being a slightly mediocre shooter

Thats about it seeing as I don't pay much attention to previews, I mainly get disapointed when games in a series aren't as good as their predecessors or when a game developer makes a similar game to their last one or more and its not as good as expected.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
I won't say that most of the games that have disappointed me are bad games, but there are quite a few games on the shelf that I've not finished when I would have expected to.

KOTOR - at some point early on I ended up in some sewers that were bland and boring and I never made it back to finish the quest.

Metroid prime 2 - Came out at the same time as paper mario 2 and I was obviously more in the mood for an easy rpg at the time.

Mario and luigi: superstar saga - After loving paper mario on the GC, this one just didn't seem as great to me as everyone kept saying it was.

Twilight Princess - 25 hours in and I stopped playing. Can't really explain why.

Super monkey ball wii - This one is the exception. It's actually terrible.

Warcraft 3: frozen throne - Couldn't put the original down (so to speak) then didn't get past the second level of the expansion. Go figure.

The stangest thing to me is that 10 years ago I would have finished all of these in no time flat and been craving for sequals. I can't tell if my recent lack of enthusiasm has to do with a lack of time or if I'm just getting over hardcore gaming as I get older. Guess we'll see how I feel after this christmas when there is more gaming goodness than any sane person could get through in a year!

dnv2

Nov 12, 2007
Kohlrabi said:
"Fable" sounded like a very interesting RPG conceptual, but when I got hold of the PC Version eventually it was just another Action "RPG" with some tamagotchian elements.
I remember getting the PC version when it finally came out and not playing it after the first 40 mins or so. So overhyped.

Carbon016

Nov 13, 2007
Pretty much everything I've bought in the last year or so - Flight Sim X (runs terribly), Portal (repetitive), Battlefield 2142 (sorta), HL2 (yes, HL2!), Sims 2 (runs terribly, just not as fun as the original), Civ IV (I wanted a RTS, not a bloody board game) and ESPECIALLY the Crysis demo (not a full game, though..the physics engine was mind-blowing but the whole thing felt like Far Cry meets Tech Demo and overrated graphics). Also World of Warcraft - I played SWG longer than that, and that's not saying much.

I find myself returning to CS:S, CoD4, TF2, and my old staple Rise of Nations. Replay value is big for me. Also, I nearly finished World in Conflict which I expected to be just another generic RTS and turned out fabulously.

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
Dr Kawashima'a brain training, its not a game, its school, and human not like school.

Spawn: Armageddon, a trivial game, but it didnt seem to have much storyline to it, apart from, wander round here, hellfire this, shoot that, jump over this, and collect comic books on your way around, a terrible game for a good concept.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, i was expecting oblivion, but bigger, with more storylines, but its all graphics and painful cliches. I'll just have to keep sticking to making my own storylines on morrowind, with the "ELDER SCROLLS CONSTRUCTION SET", game of the year edition, amazingly good.

Resistance: Fall of Man, a mediocre game at best, some good weaponry and fighting, just seemed a bit over-hyped.

Blazing Angel's, i'd have had more fun, watching tom burn ((Decline of Videogaming 3), you really need to watch it to understand)

Transformers, mainly because the difficulty curve went from pathetically easy, to end of the game boss, then it stayed there for about 7 levels, also, cos it didnt have multiplayer, it would've rocked with multiplayer.

Prince of Persia: Rival Swords, i bought this game under the belief it was a new one, it wasnt, they'de renamed and cross-platformed "Prince of Persia: Two Thrones"

and finally, as i draw a close to my epic list of games that pissed me off, WiiPlay, cos no-one bought it for the game, they bought it for the controller, and now were stuck with nintendo's cheapskate version of Warioware

Cibbuano

Jun 26, 2007
KOTOR 2 - I was awestruck by the epic scope of KOTOR 1, even though it was a little cliched... when I bought KOTOR 2, I was looking forward to playing though as a Lord of the Sith, but it was missing the vitality and urgency from the first one. Choosing the dark options were so painfully obvious, too. Your conversation options would be 'a) Hi b) I like you c) I'm going to tear off your legs then drink your blood, then eat your children'

Still, it's always fun to run around as a Jedi.

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
i forgot a major one, parappa the rapper, for the dreamcast, it was an absolutely dismal game, i miss powerstone for the dreamcast, but at least we still got soulcalibur for the other consoles still.

Dark Wingstalker

Nov 2, 2007
Halo3 was totally overrated. It felt more like a graphical upgrade then anything truly mindblowing.

Cod3 was a let down aswell.
4 has happily righted that however.

as for older??
Metal gear solid 2 was a let-down,
Devil may cry 2.
and a few others i cant think of right now.

sergeantz

Nov 4, 2007
Final Fantasy X-2: I really wanted to like that game, but the dialogue was driving me out of my mind. Every other time Rikku said something, she put her arm up in the air and did a stupid little dance. The cutscenes looked good, put it was so cheesy that I couldn't finish it.

Okami: I know that not many people will agree with me and it will seem petty, but I couldn't get over the "voices". The high-pitched "weep-woop-wop-woop" stuff literally gave me a headache, and I didn't want to play the game muted. Once again, not finished. If there's a way to get rid of that, I'd probably go back.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Raiden. Nuff said.

TheLostSkeleton

Aug 27, 2007
I'm not going to lie to you.

Sonic the Hedgehog on the Xbox 360.

The story itself is a long one. Pull up a chair, and I will tell you it.

I'm a hardcore Sonic the Hedgehog fan. Or at least, I was a hardcore Sonic the Hedgehog fan. Ask me anything about the franchise or it's production and chances are I will have an answer for you in some format. Anything from the games, the TV shows, and comic books - chances are I'll know what you're talking about or know where you can find out. Who was Sonic's voice actor in Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie (aka: Sonic the Hedgehog OVA)? That would be Martin Burke. Who was the director and level designer in Sonic 1? Hirokazu Yasuhara. He quit Sonicteam in 1994 after Sonic & Knuckles was finished, apparently over creative differences with Yuji Naka. He left Sega altogether sometime in 2002, following Mark Cerny (I believe) to Naughty Dog, where he worked on the Jak & Daxter games. When Yasuhara left Sega, Yuji Naka publically went on record to actually call Yasuhara "useless". The man Yasuhara was training as his apprentice, Takashi Iizuka, went on to birth the Sonic Adventure franchise and most of the 3D Sonic games.

So yeah. I know a lot about Sonic.

Me and my friends were cautious about Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360 (hereby referred to as "Sonic 2k6" for the remainder of this story), and arguably so. After Shadow the Hedgehog, the Sonic games seemed to be reaching the bottom of the barrel. But word from Yuji Naka himself, personally, indicated that Sonic 2k6 would be a rebirth for the franchise - he practically suggested it would be a reimagining of the original Sonic the Hedgehog. Interviews also held tasty morsels from the development staff who said they were "very interested" in making sure camera control and the like was improved for this next-gen outing. And though many preview videos coming out of E3 and beyond seemed to look like crap, these were easily explained as "The game still has like six months to go! I'm sure they'll fix it."

The demo dropped not long afterwards, and most impressions for it were not favorable. However, adding to the confusion, a select few people who had been at E3 were saying the demo was actually a very old build of the game and was not representative of the final retail product. For the remainder of the time me and my friends spent waiting for the game, we foolishly accepted this as the case. Surely they would fix it before release. It's Sonic's 15th Anniversary! It's the rebirth of the franchise! They wouldn't dare release another Shadow the Hedgehog caliber game, would they?

Problem was, I didn't have an Xbox 360. How was I going to play the game?

I seem to be a rather lucky person. Whenever I really, truly want something, when I want something so bad I can taste it, some how the stars align and a holy light shines down from the heavens - almost as if by magic, the dice roll in my favor and I get what I want. Now, I try not to rely on this "ability" (if you want to call it that) too much, because as always, the minute I start to count on my luck getting me through a rough spot, that's exactly when it fails.

In July, Gametrailers.com announces a video contest - the grand prize is $1000 in EB Games gift cards. Why, that's enough to buy an Xbox 360, Sonic 2k6, and beyond! Can you see where this is going? After 4 weeks of writing, storyboarding, and animating, I won with my short movie, "The Third Mario Brother". In early August, I recieved a package containing two EB Games gift cards, each worth $500. With them, I bought a PS2, a DS Lite, a stack of games for each... and most importantly...

An Xbox 360. Sonic 2k6 would not be out for another two months. It was the first game I ever pre-ordered, and probably my last.

On Launch day, I had to hitch a ride up to an EB Games - with the Gamestop merger, EBs were closing out all over the state, making them increasingly difficult to find, and no Gamestop would take my EB gift cards. The nearest EB was over 30 miles from where I lived. I sat, all day, as my friends, one-by-one, got the game and began posting impressions. I watched for reviews like a hawk, and the earliest ones were all over the map - PLAY Magazine gave it their now legendary 9/10, other places were giving it 5's and 6's... it was hard to tell who to trust. For a brief moment I considered the fact that I could still cancel my pre-order, get my money back, and buy a better game - Gears of War, or Oblivion or something. It didn't have to be this way. I dodged the bullet that was Shadow the Hedgehog! I could... I..

No. I was a Sonic fan. Though there were other Xbox 360 games I was definitely interested in and planned on buying, like an idiot, I bought my 360 for Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega had me - hook, line, and sinker. There was no going back.

When I got the game home and in to my 360, I was mortified. How? How did a game like this make it past quality control? Was there any quality control to speak of at all? It was like Sega made half a game and then went on vacation for 9 months, only to come back two weeks before deadline before realizing "OH CRAP! WE FORGOT TO FINISH THE GAME! QUICK, WRAP IT UP AS BEST YOU CAN AND SHOVE IT OUT THE DOOR!" It was a sharp, $60 kick to the balls, and to my faith in the franchise. It was so disappointingly horrendous it almost retroactively ruined the entire Sonic legacy for me - even the good games.

"They'll patch it, right? This is the Xbox 360. They can release a patch to fix the controls and the slowdown and the clipping. Surely, they have to."

No, they don't. A game that needed another six months in development was pushed out for the Christmas season and it bombed hard - and I was at ground zero. Rest assured, it's not going to happen ever again.

Adding insult to injury, a week after I bought Sonic, my Xbox 360 red ringed. When I sent my system to the repair center, they lost it. I didn't get a new Xbox 360 until February of 2007 (roughly three months after I sent it in for repair); thankfully, with a complimentary game (PGR3) for their mistake. To date, Sonic and PGR3 are the only real Xbox 360 games I own (been spending most of my money building up my PS2 and DS Library).

RidleyValiant

White Knight
Nov 12, 2007
Games that disappointed eh?

NWN2 Was definitely up there, I was a big fan of the first installment second one just couldn't drag me in the same way.

CoD4 So much hype and to me it failed to deliver.

There are more but they cover the main two of recent times.

maxjae

Sep 28, 2007
World of Warcraft - the gameplay was just boring. It felt like work.

Starcraft - thought it'd be great, but it turns out I don't like RTSs.

Final Fantasy XII - boring story and the "new" battle system was nothing new.

Shadowrun for the SNES/Genesis - I had no idea what to do in this game without a walkthrough.

maxjae

Sep 28, 2007
I like RPGs...I've played through FF IV-VII and X and some others but these ones didn't thrill me. I've never gotten into an RTS though.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Final Fantasy 8, Quake 4, Halo 3 and Metroid Prime 3 are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Oct 31, 2007
For me it would have to be Spiderman 3 for the XBox 360, damn.

It got some brilliant "first peek" and "hands on" reviews, but the mediocre pile of unadulterated crap it turned out to be disappointed me beyond all hope for spidey games.

I got promised crackdown with the web-slinger, imagine my surprise...