Games that fooled you

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Dead Island. It looked like it was going to be an emotional, actually decent zombie game. Instead, it was a game with shitty voice acting/writing/everything except gameplay. Until you got to a higher level and realised the zombies level scale, and after a while, it takes five face hits from a fucking military grade machete with batteries attached to it to kill a single zombie.

The Sims. Yeah, controling peoples lives is awesome! A couple of hours later, I realise I should be doing what I'm getting my sim to do.

Pokemon. Fucking grinding. That's all.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
It's not being fooled directly. But nobody ever warned me that in the transition from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 the moral choice went from idealistic wuss/arsehole to passive-aggressive arsehole/cartoonish supervillain.

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
The reason spore was a let down was because it started off as a grand design game, but (if I remember correctly), the lead designer, or maybe the creative lead, someone that was in charge, was replaced half way through and they changed it so that it would more appeal to kids, which sucked, I was looking forward to it for the longest time.

The game that got me the most was Dead Island. I thought it was going to be more fallout-y and in general just better, but between the 4 unlikable characters to chose from and the superkick, it was one of the worst games I've played.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I didn't play it

but Dead Island: Game of the Year edition.

People would actually think that its a critically acclaimed game!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-22-dead-island-game-of-the-year-edition-release-date-announced

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Oblivion... what I expected: epic fantasy adventure with a host of great side quest material and a great amount of character building and role playing...

what I got: a boring fantasy non adventure with a boring, boring world populated by bland characters, boring lore and a non existent focus point, which led me to doing nothing but running around the boring country side for a few hours abusing the skill and movement system to kill enemies 4 times stronger than me...

That about it... I typically don't let me get suckered in to games from hype... I'm much to cynical...

Though the original Deus Ex did surprise me, considering I didn't expect much from it...

What I expected: a fairly typical old school sci-fi shooter...

What I got: a truly unique and inspiring role playing experience... that, while not perfect, understood the basis of character development, storytelling, player involvement and choice in a game and wrapped it all together in a stealth action RPG system, amazing level design, that transcended the idea of "game levels", and a great post cyberpunk epic of a story...

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Dragon age 2. I should have been more careful but I didn't think they could **** it up that much. I still enjoyed it but it was such a disappointment.

Also Too human. The demo was fun and I actully enjoyed the game untill I got to the ice forest. ****ing ice forest, the whole game went downhill from there.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
BRINK. Never have i been so disappointed with a game i've bought. The only good thing that came from it was a Genuine Anger hat for my Sniper.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
DA2. I'd dislike it as a standalone game, but I grew to hate it as a sequel to DA:O. The whole notion of playing over years in a changing city amounted to giving the writers an excuse to skip to plot points. Even then, nothing much changed city wise. The city itself felt bare, with nothing remarkable or likeable about it. I was happy with my silent protagonist but hated the transition into a voiced protagonist that would say the strangest of things or have the most obscure of dialogue options. As someone unfamiliar with the DA:O style of combat, I was very happy to meet challenged that I'd have to form little strategies to get around. DA2 was just spamming, any tactical maneuver I made (Getting into a good position out of combat as a mage) was rendered mute when the next wave mysteriously spawned around us. I'd win, but it never felt satisfying. Also the load in your character feature felt pretty pointless, giving the smallest of callbacks. Nuts to you guys for making me be LOVEY-DOVEY or ANGRY-SPITEFUL to keep anyone, punish me for not playing an extremist why don't you! Also;
DON'T TOUCH THE FREAKING MIRROR MERILL! After years of telling you not to AND sleeping with you, WHY DO YOU STILL REFUSE TO LISTEN! Inconsiderate writers, I loaded in my Dalish Elf which probably tells you as a player I'm aware the mirror is extremely dangerous, why then can I do nothing about it!?

Captcha: fill it up

pyrokin

May 13, 2011
Arma II.

I thought because the Day Z mod seemed fun, the original game would be too. Still on the 3rd level that's how boring it is to me...

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Assassins Creed

Had great trailers, lot's of hype by that Raymond woman, but the end product just wasn't worth it. Sure the environments looked awesome, but there was nothing to do in them aside from doing the same mission six times over, no interesting story, crappy story telling ( I have pity on the people that played it on an SD television... ), just straight up crap.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
The Force Unleashed 2. Yeah, that game. 60dollars for 6 hours of bad storyline and boring gameplay. I'm having a derection right now because you made me think of it.

ReadyAmyFire

May 4, 2012
Anyone remember Haze? The hype around that was crazy. And world of warcraft, was really looking forward to trying out a big social game, but noone would speak to me :(

Aug 25, 2009
[PROTOTYPE]

Yes, I will always type it like that, until the end of time.

The trailer hooked me, the concept intrigued me, the game initially grabbed me, the eventual resolution left me flaccid and disappointed.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I too was stung by Brutal Legend. I thought it would be an awesome hack and slash action game set to the best soundtrack in any game ever with scenery to match, with even a little driving and car customisation thrown in. I'm even a moderate fan of Jack Black. It should have been the perfect game for me. But oh how I was wrong.

The demo gave the impression of the game I was expecting it to be, but once you got past that stage in the actual game things pretty much go to shit. Turned in to a crappy repetitive game full of shallow unenjoyable mechanics sprinkled over a shitty RTS game. I really don't like RTS games. I don't necessarily have anything against them but I felt so cheated thinking that I was lied to about the entire genre of the game! If I knew that's what the game was about then it would be fine, I simply wouldn't have bought it. But they lied. Which ended up in me wasting £40. At least the soundtrack was still good.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
The first Uncharted, such a big adventure game apparently! But then I bought it, expecting great adventure. I thought there was too much shooting and too little adventure in between the shooting. I have not touched the series since, I felt so disappointed.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Djinn8 said:
Diablo 3. I thought I was going to be buying a fun dungeon crawler. Little did I know that I would actually be paying to participate in a marketing racket designed to farm currency for the developers.
I thought everyone knew that's what it was going to be before it was released

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Brink.

It hyped up its character customisation, it hyped up its movement mechanics.

What we ended up with was a terrible, terrible, TF2 clone.
I liked the customisation and the movement. They just made the terrible mistake of making them irrelevant to the gameplay. I got the feeling the ideas were bigger than the budget.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Elmoth said:
realistic fantasy is awesome. One of the few things I liked about Skyrim was it's aesthethics. I don't want the art to be based on the whimsy of the artists, but have some guidelines.
stylisation isn't based on the "whimsy of artists" otherwise there would be no consistency

anyway I guess it certainly added to the "rough, Scandinavian" thing they were going for. Its more personal since for me it was making something I found kind of dull even duller

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Brink.

It hyped up its character customisation, it hyped up its movement mechanics.

What we ended up with was a terrible, terrible, TF2 clone.
and lets not forget the "no girls allowed" fiasco

IMO when it comes to the heat of battle does the eye depth of your character matter all that much?

I think a sacrifice for females would have been worth it