Games that got ruined in sequels

Zimbum

Jul 15, 2009
Pokemon. It was cool up until diamond and pearl came out. Yes, i still play pokemon i know it's sad.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
state of emergency 2 was a pos , so was red faction 2 they were on ps2 , mercs2 on ps3 was crap ,almost a pos ( piece of shit )but one game that was crap and then turned to gold in a sequel was saints row the first was crap and saints row 2 was great

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
CloudKiller said:
The Ruler of Nosgoth said:
Legacy of Kain: Defiance switched Developers and it was terrible. The gameplay aspect, at least. I mean the story was still fantastic but it took literally AGES to get on with it. The entire game consisted of linear corridors, awkward combat and endlessly repetetive "go here fetch that" quests in different colored temples each with three rooms. There was no puzzle aspect in it unless you count figuring out how to swim or jump as a puzzle. Although jumping to a single platform really was like a puzzle with all the terrible camera angles. Anyone who's played the game probably remembers the part in Vorador's Mansion when you have to jump from pillar to pillar in the courtyard while the camera angle switches every two seconds and you're supposed to steer your jumps correctly. Fall and you have to go all the way back through the mansion, fight off the zombies, switch back and forth between material and spectral realms, climb out the window, jump to a pillar, and fall off again. It was sheer madness. After trying and failing at this about fifteen times (and each try takes about five mind-numbingingly-frustrating minutes, mind you) I threw my controller at my TV and didn't play the game for almost three months. I began playing it again and after getting past that little jewel I've realized that the rest of the game sucks just as much. Even the parts when you play as Kain are terrible. He's advertised as "Gaming's most evil badass" and yet this is what he's giving me. The game makes an absolute mockery of a once great series.

Ok I'm done.
This, but also FF X-2 and FF XII
Next thought I'd see someone saying FFXII. To each their own I assume.

Lowbreed

Jul 4, 2009
stinkychops said:
Lowbreed said:
How can you say that a MMORPG is the sequel to a RTS? I mean sure lore wise you might say its the next piece, but 'game' wise-
Wait, thats meant to be a game?
I thought it was a chatroom with horribly boring minigames you can play against strangers with.
IMO
Well in that case you have a very confused opinion about minigames. Memory is a minigame, a game where (I didn't, I'm talking about the real no lifers) you can make pages worth of charts and graphs to optimize your damage output, is not.

I don't understand which aspect of wow is a minigame, the AH? a minigame where you have to rip people off? Or professions a minigame about gathering and making things? PvP, a minigame about killing other people?

In that case any game is just a minigame, ranging from counterstrike to final fantasy.

Oh and who the hell would want to chat with people in WoW anyway? (I'm looking at barrens general chat here...)

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
Max Payne 3. I know it hasn't come out yet. Also, Deus Ex (soon to be twice) and Halo 2 was a disappointment.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Metal Gear Solid was fantastic, it has a really good story for a videogame at the time, and great voice acting to boot. Cut to MGS2: the entire game industry had evolved, and MGS2 still had voice acting that was good...in '98. Don't even get me started on the story. Metal Gear Solid was eccentric, but compared to MGS2 it was positively down to earth.

Cut to MGS3, which was actually improved on all levels! Comparatively down to earth story, good voice acting, good characterization...

and then we get MGS4. Relapsing back into the fucking bloated oddity that was MGS2. It's truly painful that a series I mostly enjoyed capped itself off by sacrificing ingenious gameplay for stupid god damned cutscenes. But that was the entire last half of the game.

CarbonEagle

Apr 19, 2008
Command and Conquer Generals! It was a decent game, but didnt deserve the command and conquer name. Had they just called it generals, i probably wouldnt have been so pissed. But at least they fixed it with Red Alert 3. That was the best CnC game ever made.

Perwer

Apr 2, 2008
Blackadder51 said:
Side note: I love your avatar, Father Jack was one of the best characters... 'DRINK, FECK, ARSE"
"Father Jack has just informed us that there will be no need for your tracksuits today."
Awesome show.

OT: The first thing that pops up into my mind is the fact that they are making an MMO out of KOTOR. Such a shame. Not because I think it will be a bad MMO but because they will most probably give up KOTOR 3 entirely now.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Halo 2, specifically the multiplayer.

Halo 3 is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it definitely does not feel the same as Halo 2 in the multiplayer department.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Vrex360 said:
... look at me I resisted the urge to talk back to the guy who made a huge totally biased uninformed (according to me anyway) post about his loathing for Halo 2,3. This might be the first time I... oh wait nevermind.
Can you believe the guy that said Halo 2 ruined Halo because "halo had a story"?

Anyway, I don't understand. How can a game be ruined by a different game?

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Spyro series after Spyro: Year of the Dragon. You know, after Insomniac decided to stop making them.