Games that made you cry (NO SPOILERS).

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I recently listened to "An End, Once and For All", which brought a tear to my eye.

So I guess ME3 (and the ME trilogy as a whole)

Reactions: Gordon_4

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
None. I was "moved" (as in : felt something as if it was genuine characters in a genuine story) by Sands of Time and the Blackwell saga, but generally, while a song can easily affect me, and a movie occasionally, videogames don't. The gamey gameplays keep the stories too placeholder-like, reminding me of how secondary the plot is. I don't easily feel for characters who, before and after the cutscene, spent 5 minutes trying to walk up a wall.

And I assume me tears of laughter in Sam&Max aren't what you had in mind. Emotion-wise, videogame humour (and sometimes anger) get me more easily than sadness. Maybe because they can function with more distance.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Tons, I'm a real soft touch, sometimes I'll tear up at the ends of movies that aren't even sad. I don't remember every tear I've ever shed, but a few that I can remember:

Doki Doki Literature Club (for, like, a week)
Outer Wilds
Mother 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Journey
Bioshock

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Danganronpa 2. Not due to feeling particular empathy towards the characters of the plot but due to reminding me of my own flaws and failures.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm a softy, so quite a few. Mass Effect 3, the final talk between a romanced Garrus and Fem Shep comes to mind.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • House of the Dead 3 & 4 - Yes; especially 4.
  • Time Crisis 5 - I didn't cry, but I was not happy.
  • Devil May Cry 3 - The ending. I didn't cry there either, but sadness was there.
  • Devil May Cry 5 - A single tear of joy.
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Resident Evil 2 & RE2R
  • Evil Within 2
  • Nier Automata
  • No More Heroes 1 & 2
  • FEAR - No tears, but I felt bad for the main villain.
  • Dead Space (Remake)
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Asura's Wrath

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Obviously it's your thread, but I have to raise an eyebrow as to the prospect of "I can tell you what games made me cry, but can't tell you which moments/why they made me cry."

Anyway, not much makes me outright cry, but if I narrow this down to "the feels" (as others have), I can generate quite a few answers. Note that I'm using the following criteria:

-When I say "the feels," it has to be something in the rough approximation of grief, or a similar moving emotion, and has to be a certain level of intensity. So "badass chews his way through people doesn't cut it, while "final stand by character who finds redemption at the end" would, so to speak.

-Only one game per IP, only one moment per game, have to have played it (so while ME3 would make the cut via its ending, haven't played it, so...)

-I'll make reference to the moment, but won't explain the moment, per the no spoilers policy.

So on that note:

-Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (an earlier part in the game where a character thinks they're going to suffocate in vacuum)
-Diablo IV (when a certain character dies at the end of Act I)
-Final Fantasy X (probably the ending, but special mention to the Zanarkand sequence)
-Fire Emblem (really, there's too many moments to count)
-Gears 5 (entire ending sequence, from where Kait has to make a certain choice, and certain characters react in certain ways)
-Halo Infinite (a certain character's farewell message)
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (ending)
-Metal Gear Solid (a certain character's death...you know the one)
-Resident Evil 2, original (a certain character's supposed death in a certain campaign, which is done better in B, but works alright in A)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit) (ending sequence)
-StarCraft II (a character death in HotS, or in LotV - both can make the cut)
-Super Mario 64 (ending sequence...yes, really)
-Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (ending)
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (really, too many to count, pick and choose)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm a softy, so quite a few. Mass Effect 3, the final talk between a romanced Garrus and Fem Shep comes to mind.
"There is no Shepard without Vakkarian"
"I am the very model of a scientist Sal-"
"The square root of 906.01 equals 30.1."

I always find myself getting emotional when you're at the London FOB and you say goodbye to your squadmates - where your Garrus/FemShep dialogue hits - because each one really does feel like goodbye. I think my favourite was Zaeed's, which is always a little harder to listen to since Robin Sachs passed.

I know its popular to shit on Cyberpunk 2077 - and no small amount of dumping is deserved - but Fem!V's reaction to the results of the Konpecki heist are gut-wrenching. Male!V is no slouch either but Cherami Leigh sounds like she just went ALL IN.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Undertale. Even on a second playthrough.

Kinda Nier Automata.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Klonoa Door to Phantomile
Rune Factory 4
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Ironic)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Undertale (Thanks for the reminder Worgen!)

I know there's others, but I can't quite recall them at the moment

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
To the moon/Finding Paradise
You know this is going to be a fun list when these guys are the first ones to get mentions. Both games are amazingly written and the soundtracks are out of this world. They might be simple and probably won't warrant a GOAT standard compared to other games they named as such, These games are truly for anyone who carries an emotional scar, regrets, dreams they are afraid to achieve, etc.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War
I have talked about this game time and time again. Believe it or not, there was a time when Ubisoft used to care about good writing, and this game is a great example. And it’s an indie game for that matter! The gameplay is rather simple, but it drops tons of interesting facts about WWI. There are also moments to show just how horrible the war was for both the soldiers and civilians. But the saddest thing about the game is the ending. Oh my god, the ending. That ending has made me ugly cry. And the fact that it was inspired by many soldiers who met the similar fate makes it all the worse.

Diablo Immortal
It made me cry at how badly they butchered the IP

That Dragon, Cancer
In terms of gameplay, this game is super basic. But the creators wanted to share and express of losing someone to cancer, and because of that, it gets a free pass for me. They aren't trying to impress anyone here. Just wanted to get their stories across. And you know what? It is a touchy and heavy subject. In my short play time, I have never felt more depressed.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
"There is no Shepard without Vakkarian"

I always find myself getting emotional when you're at the London FOB and you say goodbye to your squadmates - where your Garrus/FemShep dialogue hits - because each one really does feel like goodbye. I think my favourite was Zaeed's, which is always a little harder to listen to since Robin Sachs passed.
I'll do you another good one. Romance Tali, and take her on the final push to the beam. Ash Sroka's tearful delivery of those lines really gets to me.

Shepard: "I need you to make it out of here alive, Tali. Get back to Rannoch. Build yourself a home.
Tali: I have a home... Come back to me..."

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'll do you another good one. Romance Tali, and take her on the final push to the beam. Ash Sroka's tearful delivery of those lines really gets to me.

Shepard: "I need you to make it out of here alive, Tali. Get back to Rannoch. Build yourself a home.
Tali: I have a home... Come back to me..."
Hey, I can only take so much heartbreak in a day xD

Last edited:
Reactions: Asita

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Games usually have more of an emotional impact on me than movies or TV series, but they never really make me cry. For me to cry during a story I need to not also have my mind occupied by thoughts of enemies I just shot, items I just used and still have, obstacles I overcame, and what might lie in wait for me gameplay wise after the current emotional moment is over. Games are just too actively stimulating the problem solving in my brain to really let my guard down for a good cry.

This is different with fear though, where a scary game (or a game that I find scary) will override everything else in my brain regarding gameplay.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I think two games. (One game multiple times)

First i think i might have shed a single manly tear playing Bastion when hearing the narrator telling the story of "The Kid":

As far as i remember: The Kid volunteered for service "At The Wall" - super dangerous patrols and such. Sent all his money home to his sick mom. After surviving the service, came back to find: Mom was long dead, all his money stolen. Immediately volunteered for a second term at the wall - First person to ever do this (Coming back)

No revenge, no outrage. All just internal frustration. Just how broken and disappointed with life you have to be. But there is more to it.

Also a few months ago I played "Disco Elysium" and cried plenty at that. (But i am also emotionally compromised at the moment - fighting mental problems)

"If you say "Two days, maybe", it will be etched in her mind forever"

"They won't take me back after this, are they?"

All of Harry's various sad-cop breakdowns.

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Can't remember one strangely.

I mean, i have had so many books making me cry, but video games ? No. Might be the pacing or the distance, i am not sure.