Games that ramped up difficulty and dang near destroyed the experience

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Ouendan, Ouendan 2, Elite Beat Agents. Max difficulty, on the last few songs, even if you hit perfect, the bar will still dip below half. I paid for a game wherein people dance, and below the 50% mark, they don't. It doesn't technically affect the difficulty of the game, but its frustrating when perfect isn't good enough.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Gorfias said:
I'm playing Arkham City with a buddy (we take turns: one drinks, the other controls, etc.) and we like fairly casual games.

I think we're at the end of Arkham City and the thing is close to GOTY for me (Saints Row 3 wins though) excpet that, all of a sudden, it's damn near impossible. We're (Batman is) facing a bunch o snipers. I slowly took out a number of them, and then the thing aparantly had a time limit, saved the game automatically, and the next go round gave less and less time! You would think they'd realize, gamer failed, make it easier! This game, so close to the end, may go unfinished. We just gave up for now and started Force Unleashed 2, a game criticized as too easy (no such thing).

Ever run into a situation like this?

Any advice about Batman?
Sorry, just trying to get over the Force Unleashed 2 being criticized for being too easy... Short, most definitely; Crap, most assuredly. But easy? I guess.

But for Batman? stop drinking and try again.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Most of the games that Atlus has made are utterly ridiculous in terms of difficulty. In most cases, it's fine--if you keep on your toes, you'll be able to survive--but with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne... hoo boy. To defeat a boss in this game, you'll need to do the following:
1. Fight the boss. Use trial and error to discover what kinds of attacks it uses and what it's weak against.
2. Spend about three days' worth of playtime grinding and fusing until you've created a team that's strong against the boss' attacks and can repeatedly hit its weakness.
3. Spam the necessary attacks, keep healing every round, and pray that even after all of this, you won't still get unlucky and wipe.
And you need to do this for every single boss. Needless to say, I didn't get very far...

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
The last level of Trine. So we get to take our sweet time with every puzzle before the last level, and then suddenly we have to have agility and be able to work under pressure? That pissed me off.

Front Mission Evolved. The game itself was not very good, but the enemies were cake. And then suddenly these bosses came out and had 10000% of the life that regular dudes had.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Dagnius said:
Final Fantasy XII. But to me, it DID destroy the Experience. I loved the game up until I got to a point to where I was getting face-rolled by a boss. You might say "Oh, well duh you're going to get stuck on bosses eventually in RPGs and have to level up a bit!" Well, I Spent the majority of TWO days grinding up to where it was just taking too long to level in my area and the next. I decide to fight the boss again, utterly DESTROYED it, then move on. Next boss: I get smashed. Basically three 'screens' past the last boss and I'd have to spend almost the same amount of time grinding as I did before. I'll get back to it eventually but after like five tries I stopped. Haven't touched it since.
Huh, that's funny. I did hardly any grinding in that game and beat it just fine.

What boss did you get stuck at?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Esotera said:
Halo 2 on Legendary...my God.
Ugh, don't remind me. I remember trying to play co-op on Legendary with one of my friends. Our experience went something like this:

"Okay, here we-" *Sniped*
"Let's try this agai-" *Sniped*
"Any ide-" *Sniped*
"Those goddamn Jackal sni-" *Sniped*

*70 checkpoint reloads later*

"Screw this, let's play something e-" *Sniped*

I have actually never finished Psychonauts because of the "Meat Circus" level. It's a shame too, because I was really enjoying it prior to that.
Me and my friend were doing a Halo Marathon recently and we beat Halo: Anniversary on Legendary and thought we could take on Halo 2 on legendary but after like thirty minutes...

"FUCK THIS SHIT!" We gave up, it was nigh impossible. It didn't help by the fact that unlike Halo 3 and after that when one person dies, you both go back to the checkpoint.

After Thirty minutes of legendary, playing on normal made us feel like Gods on the battlefield. XD

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins: combined with the excruciating repetition; seriously though; I felt the combat in certain areas (especially Deep Roads) just got boring because of the sheer volume. My primary gripe with the game was the way it would suddenly change difficulty significantly; one minute I'm fighting Hurlocks which, although they aren't too bad, are tough and the next a weird darkspawn tentacle monster thing has wiped the whole party in four hits (one each, I kid you not that is pretty much what happened). Totally killed the game for me and I couldn't get back into it.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Esotera said:
Also, in Mass Effect the fight with Lady Benezia was incredibly hard considering it was one of the first missions. I must have done that same fight scene about 50 times over.
I didn't even get that far. There's a mission on some planet where I had to save some blue woman from snazzy looking robots. Towards the end of that mission, we all took a lift up to the surface. at the top, we were surrounded by snazzy robots during a cut-scene and were taken down. The cut-scene to get up the lift was, of course, unskippable because it had one dialogue choice in it that turned out the same whichever option I chose. I got killed around fifty times on that bloody lift, even when I tried to use cheats.

I gave up on that game and have never gone back.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I think you're talking about the bit when you go to the theatre? The time limit's supposed to only come up if you stray too far away from where you're supposed to go as a warning to hurry up and should go away when you get back on track. It may take a few tries but there is a way to get them all without being shot at.

OP: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood got annoying for me when it became 'difficult' and they gave certain enemies abilities to dodge your kicks and attacks making it harder to hit them. Revelations is even worse with those gunmen who keep shooting you even if you're fighting two feet from them and Janissaries that dodge every one of your attacks. The automatic fail missions are also annoying as well because even if you kill the guard before they call out it still counts as a fail. It just seems like a half assed attempted by Ubisoft to try to get people who like challenges interested but it ruins some of the fun.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I just thought of another one. I recently bought Saints Row. I was playing through it and got to a mission where I was trying to stop a plane from taking off with a gang boss on board. I had an assault rifle and was riding shotgun with a guy go couldn't drive straight and had never heard of getting out of a burning car. I couldn't hit the guys on the roof with the assault rifle because he kept turning just enough to throw my aim off, but not enough to throw theirs. I got blown up about twenty times and have never gone back.

It is a shame because I was really getting in to the story.

Jun 16, 2010
Alpha Protocol on Hard.
I was mostly stealth-focussed and that asshole boss in Moscow who turns invincible and runs after you with a knife fucked my shit up. So I decided to do something else to level up more, and I got stuck on a mission where you have to protect a computer from a bunch of guys who rush at you from every direction.
I actually liked that game, too.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
Esotera said:
Halo 2 on Legendary...my God.
Ugh, don't remind me. I remember trying to play co-op on Legendary with one of my friends. Our experience went something like this:

"Okay, here we-" *Sniped*
"Let's try this agai-" *Sniped*
"Any ide-" *Sniped*
"Those goddamn Jackal sni-" *Sniped*

*70 checkpoint reloads later*

"Screw this, let's play something e-" *Sniped*

I have actually never finished Psychonauts because of the "Meat Circus" level. It's a shame too, because I was really enjoying it prior to that.
I'm a bit of a fan boy, but I would like to say I've beaten all the halos on legendary on co-op :D it's a slow process

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
peruvianskys said:
I love Psychonauts but definitely the meat circus level was a pain in the ass. Shame it left the game with a bit of a sour end note.
Yes, the Meat Circus. I absolutely loved the game up to that point. It really annoys me because I stopped playing the game after failing at the Meat Circus multiple times. A few months later I would come back and try to finish it, and fail continuously. I don't think I suck at videogames, I've been playing them for 21 years, and completed the Alien Vendetta .wad for Doom on Ultra Violence, which is the hardest damn game I've ever played. The Meat Circus just plain sucks. But I guess I should go back and try to beat it again at some point. Once I get my Xbox repaired after getting an RROD.

Adam Cammock-Sands

Mar 25, 2011
Personally i never had any trouble with psychonauts.
my game would possibly be Vexx.
its not so much the difficulty as it is the annoying controls and lack of physics,
for instance SLIDING off ledges >_>