Games That Should Be Remade.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
Aidyn Chronicles.

I don't know why I liked that game so much, but I did.

Preferably a sequel. But that's not going to happen - mainly because it only ever had a cult following.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
SyphonX said:
a complete Action game with "stealth elements"
Someone only played it on easy difficulty. Try running around gung-ho on the hardest setting and you will die. I give a 99% garuntee that anyone who says otherwise is a liar and most likely listens to Yahtzee as if he were the second coming. MGS4 is a stealth game with action elements. Personally I prefered it because if you're utterly boned there is a hope of escape via firepower, whereas in previous games shooting was wooden and limited.

Now, I would love to see an old PC game I had called 4x4 Evolution, which (if you hadn't guessed) was an offroad racer where you could upgrade your 4x4 extensively and had a massive selection of real cars to pick from.
Nope, sorry, you're wrong. I play all games at default difficulty or higher, which in MGS4's case is "Normal for North America/UK" or the next difficulty that "Tests your limits." as a direct screen quote, more or less.

You can 100% plow through most areas with guns blazing. Yes, you can. Unless you entirely suck at shooting in this game. The stealth, in which case, only serves as a "rest break", where if you feel overwhelmed, you can hide, reset the patrols and get on with your Rambo'in. I'm playing this game again, right now, and I stand by my word that stealth takes a back seat.

The AI virtually sucks when it comes to shootouts. You can rip out the M60 and just blast everything that comes at you, and when it gets really heavy, you can pull out any rocket launcher from the myriad of incendiary weapons choices (lol, not an action game?) that carries nearly as many rockets as you want. Roughly 40 rockets for the RPG-7, and you're telling me this game isn't action based? Why does a stealth game need handfuls of fully automatic machine guns, and boxes of rocket launchers, missile launchers, surface-to-air missiles, static explosives and even Javelin Missiles! lol! Yeah, stealth takes a back seat, entirely. If you want to play stealth, you can, but action is unavoidable and it makes you just sigh in disappointment. You're having a grand time sneaking about, owning the shadows and octocamo, when suddenly, a scripted mega-action sequence is thrust upon you. It's BS.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Marowit said:
Perfect dark. I really enjoyed that game, and the multiplayer is near mythical for my brother, my friends, and me.
You do know it has been remade already, right?

OT: Never really thought about this. Maybe Jade Cocoon, with more monster creations, that'd be epic.

xbeaker

Sep 11, 2007
Mail Order Monsters. Most of you probably never heard of it, but it was an old C-64 game. You built a monster starting with a basic type, then added mutations to it, then could fight other people (or the cheating computer) to earn points and upgrade the monster. Would be awesome to see it again with better graphics and sound and on-line play!

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
For PC, Populous!

Dungeon Keeper

Try a decent Battlecruiser 3000AD Now the tech is there.

Tripodicus

May 16, 2010
I'd love to see a Tales of Eternia remake. I loved that game, and I think a remake would be nice to play.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
HITMAN 2!!!

Update the graphics, keep the voice acting, soundtrack, and plot and keep most of the missions and gameplay the same, just add the notoriety system, multiple assassination options and weapon unlocks like Hitman: Blood Money.

I would play the ever loving shit outta that game.

Kyuubi Fanatic

Insane Fanboy
Feb 22, 2010
Final Fantasy 7 & 8, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, and Soul Calibur 2; much better than it's later iterations imo.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Julianking93 said:
No. I don't think any games should be remade.

There's really no point in remaking anything except to cash in on its name.

And why would you remake something that came out just a few years ago?
The sole reason I could find would be to improve on the original concept if the game sucked.
There is a fair number of games whose premise isn't bad, but failed because of a flawed execution.

Squaresoft's Mana series (any of the series after the 3rd installment really) immediately comes to my mind. Legend of Mana had no difficulty curve at all since death was a temporary nuisance, and several parts of the game were jack-skewed for balance in horrifying ways.
It also lacked a cohesive plot, but that's because the game's concept was that of a book of fairy tales that the player read as he went along. A pity that they forgot to include the lore as PART of the story; heaven forbid they make that engrossing!

Final Fantasy 7...well, despite its popularity, I am against it being remade at all. Why?
Because it will turn into that fucking stupid Dragonball Z nonsense that dominated Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus (and a bit in Crisis Core too). Bet money on it folks. Squeenix knows how to sell flashy garbage, and that's precisely what the FF7 Compendium is.

The remainder of the early Megaman X games also popped into my head*, but immediately died when I remembered how many Megaman games there were.

*(Maverick Hunter X's remake wasn't spectacular, but I thought it was really fun, and Vile Mode was just amazing)

Breaking my own rule now...(because there isn't much continuity to destroy in this case...mostly) A newer version of Starsiege: Tribes would rock, and I actually am one of the few who liked some of what they did with the story in Tribes: Vengeance. However, Activision controls Sierra's properties, and they have not been deemed "milkable enough" by Bobby Kotick, so I'm more likely to take that dream to my grave.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
hazabaza1 said:
Marowit said:
Perfect dark. I really enjoyed that game, and the multiplayer is near mythical for my brother, my friends, and me.

OT: Never really thought about this. Maybe Jade Cocoon, with more monster creations, that'd be epic.

Yes I am well aware that they reskinned the old version of the game for XBL marketplace.
However, there's a difference between being remade, and reskinned.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Most people want to see games that they consider perfect to get remade, that's just stupid, if it is so great play the original now some games had the potential to be great but had some minor flaws that could be worked out, those a re prime candidates for remakes. My example is Final Fantasy Tactics which was great but had a shitty translation of a wonderful story, the PSP remake had translated it much better and added some extra content enhancing the experience greatly, people who say they want their favorite game remade (usually by remade they mean polish it but don't change any of it beyond the graphics or that will ruin it) just seem weird to me, basically wanting a better looking but the same overall experience, which just makes no sense.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Marowit said:
hazabaza1 said:
Marowit said:

Yes I am well aware that they reskinned the old version of the game for XBL marketplace.
Oh right, like AI improvements and the such?
I can see why. The AI in that game is terrible.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
hazabaza1 said:
Marowit said:
hazabaza1 said:
Marowit said:

Oh right, like AI improvements and the such?
I can see why. The AI in that game is terrible.

mhmm - unless it was a new game, a good one not like that second one that was released, I wouldn't want to play it because I wouldn't want to ruin my memories of the game...like playing Goldeneye 64 did /cry

Jun 11, 2008
meowchef said:
Knights of the Old Republic w/ Mass Effect's conversation system.
Jade Empire w/ Mass Effect's conversation system.
Half Life in the Source Engine.
Rome Total War in Empire Total War's engine.
You do know that Bioware is never getting rid of mountains of dialogue ever they love it way too much.
Corwynt said:
Final fantasy 7, the fans will finaly die happy and shut up.
You say that as if people make threads about it on the website everyday. In fact it hasn't be brought up by a fan of the game series in ages for a remake and that was around the time there was a bit of news about the remake. It is hardly the most talked about thing.

Also no game should really be remade there are couple that could have sequels to improve them. Like Bullet Witch and Legendary had potential as well as many other games but they just need to be more refined.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Wing Commander Series
Baldurs Gate 1&2 . I'd love it in Mount and Blade 3rd person Squat style...
Planescape Torment
Dungeon Keeper
C&C Renegade, this time with AI
Might and Magic
Swords and Serpents!
Z (i want it back so hard, cant get it)
North & South
PC Kaiser
Golden Axe (well some of the LotR games were like it)
Privateer