Games that stopped being fun

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
All of my fighting games besides BlazBlue (MvC3, Mortal Kombat). I don't have any real life friends to really work to get better with. Online just doesn't always cut it.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Borderlands. Once you level up a bit and realize that every weapon is just an alternate design of one base with different stats and every bloody enemy in the game is more of a nuisance than anything else, and that you know you haven't been here yet but can swear it looks like every other canyon/settlement you've been too and-

Well, it turns into a shitty grind instead of a game.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Also i hate Oblivion and to a lesser degree Morrowind: In the latter everything is fine and awesome but the fact that you can at any point in the game turn down the difficulty is just death to any form of challange you can experience in the game. An enemy is too hard to kill? Just slide the difficulty to the left and you're good. Thus leveling becomes pointless and any feeling of achievment is gone.
That has a pretty good work-around - don't turn down the difficulty :)

But really, both of those games are hilariously easy. Magic in Morrowind and illusion in Oblivion instantly pwns everything. It's more about the exploration.

For me, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening. It's awesome that people other than mages are viable in combat. It's less awesome that after you've turned your mage and Anders into unstoppable waves of spirit damage and crowd control, Justice into an invincible all-consuming aggro black hole, and Sigrun into an archer who kills everything in 1-2 shots, the game completely fails to step up to the plate and challenge you. And Dragon Age writing has never been up to the Mass Effect level, so yeah, lost interest.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
warcraft4life said:
Final Fantasy 13.. the 5-20 hour period.. I stuck with it though..

And got a bit more fun out of it >_>
I made it to chapter 11 wherein the game promises to get better but I saw no light at the end of that tunnel...just more of the same garbage I was wadding through for the past 20 - 25 hours beforehand. It wouldn't have been so bad but all of the parts I kept getting stuck on were parts that reviewers had breezed through at lower levels than my party. I am determined to go back and try again though but, I really don't know if my poor, poor, psyche can take the punishment. Besides, I still have yet to play Final Fantasy XII and I hear a lot of people got good and pissed at that one too.

As for games I used to play but just stopped being fun. During High School I played through Morrorwind like it was a full-time job. I tried getting into it recently but...well I'm really trying to have fun but playing that right after Thousand Year Door (which I've never played before now) makes it difficult for me to see the fun in my old favorite game.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Mass Effect 2 - The combat was weak and the puny sounding guns don't help. That and I stopped caring about the story after those stupid hover tank missions.

Fallout New Vegas - The load times, glitches, and crashes made playing a chore.

ks1234

Mar 12, 2011
Lets see... Just taking a look at my Steam games here and figuring out which ones sucked;
1. Fallout: New Vegas... I spend 60 hours TRYING to like this piss poor excuse for a game... I played the shit out of it hoping it would be fun. Now don't get me wrong, it was a good game (calling it a 'piss poor excuse' was abit harsh) but it just wasn't for me. I enjoyed Fallout 3 infinitely more... especially after I modded the hell out of it. (for comparison, I spend 400hrs in FO3)
2. Two Worlds Two: It was fun for the first 10 hours, after that, it lost all charm.
3. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion... I loved this game at first, the first 10-15 hours were great... but after the 30th gate to hell I closed and when I figured out that everyone FUCKING LEVELS AT THE SAME TIME YOU DO It started to piss me off, so I played another 10hrs or so and decided 'fuck this, time to mod the shit out of it...' I actually still play today bc it's still fresh with mods. (P.S. I <3 you Bethesda... I know I may ***** about your games but I really do love them deep down.) (P.P.S. Woot, go Skyrim)
4. Assassins Creed 2: I didn't play the first one but I don't think that mattered much, the game was AWESOME the first 5-8 hours (especially since I bought it on Christmas eve and my mom and girlfriend were at my house and it was just nice to have everyone here and happy, so that probably helped) but after that, I started to LOATHE the combat... I didn't fucking do anything besides click buttons at the right time.
5. The Witcher Two: Now, I loved this game... again, at first...after the first 10 hours or so eh, not so much. I loved the combat, I loved running around kicking ass and getting my ass kicked but I got tired of fighting with the inventory system and by the time i was level 15-20, I was pretty much invincible and it took ALL of the fun out of the game.
So... yeah ...

Typhron

Dec 17, 2008
Gaiseric said:
This. But hey, it's the Gamebryo Engine's fault according to Obsidian, not something that's been plaguing their games since KotorII.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Typhron said:
Gaiseric said:
This. But hey, it's the Gamebryo Engine's fault according to Obsidian, not something that's been plaguing their games since KotorII.
Never played Kotor II. The only other Obsidian game I've played was Alpha Protocol and that had problems.

I had a lot of the same troubles with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, just not quite as much :/

Bringing this stuff up just makes me hope that Skyrim doesn't have the same issues with its new engine.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
vrbtny said:
putowtin said:
ReservoirAngel said:
Fallout: New Vegas died a slow death for me just outside of Primm. Seriously, I just stopped that soon into it and realised "wow, this game holds no redeeming value for me."
I'm the other way around, Fallout 3 sent me to sleep just after I met Moria Brown, but I found New Vegas's pace fast enough to keep me interested.
Opposite here. I could never get in New Vegas, although I loved Fallout 3 all the way through my 200 hours of playing it. PC mods, yay!
I loved both, just to be different hehe.

I got so immersed in Fallout New Vegas that my friends actually skyped me and asked if I was okay because apprently I hadn't spoken to them for three days. xD

Typhron

Dec 17, 2008
Gaiseric said:
Typhron said:
Gaiseric said:
Never played Kotor II. The only other Obsidian game I've played was Alpha Protocol and that had problems.

I had a lot of the same troubles with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, just not quite as much :/

Bringing this stuff up just makes me hope that Skyrim doesn't have the same issues with its new engine.
Was being facetious. Obsidian Entertainment (a spokesperson at least) blamed Vegas's problems on the Gamebryo Engine, and not something that Obsidian might be doing themselves. It was very nonprofessional and further put me off the game since it did fuck all to fix said problems.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Typhron said:
Gaiseric said:
Typhron said:
Gaiseric said:

Was being facetious. Obsidian Entertainment (a spokesperson at least) blamed Vegas's problems on the Gamebryo Engine, and not something that Obsidian might be doing themselves. It was very nonprofessional and further put me off the game since it did fuck all to fix said problems.
I know. My response wasn't written well enough to let you know that I knew. Dammit.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. The entire game was going great until I got to the one drawbridge section, sometime after the soldier's mess hall. Then, I realized in dread at the absolutely horrible situation of the combat. And of course, the game forces you into combat, instead of giving you an escape from it. I realized then that all of the thrill of the platforming was crushed at the thought of "Well shit, now I've got even more broken combat."

Great game absolutely crushed by pathetic combat design.

Typhron

Dec 17, 2008
Gaiseric said:
Typhron said:
Gaiseric said:
Typhron said:
Gaiseric said:

I know. My response wasn't written well enough to let you know that I knew. Dammit.
No trouble broheim.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Starcraft 2.
When I found out that you didn't have to build most of the units to either win the game or make things interesting.

Soul Calibur 3.
When I couldn't keep up with the whole Seigefried and Knightmare business and honestly didn't care for it anymore.

Final Fantasy XIII.
First minute when I heard the dialogue and saw that I joined in none of the cinematic fights whatsoever.

Final Fantasy X.
When I heard Tidus' voice.

Final Fantasy VIII.
When I stopped trying to figure out where to.

Warcraft III.
When after 4 years of playing it winning match after match online and yet only being able to beat the computer on (easy).

World of Warcraft.
When I was shown the new Talent Tree design I now dub Talent Shrubberies.

Pokemon.
When I caught them all and all I got to do was the ability to print them out.

And last but not least.
Doom 3.
When I found no_clip.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
Minecraft - Okay, I love building in this game and survival, but I can't have both. Since most of the focus is primarily bent around survival right now, it becomes hard to focus since most task will involve digging for hours on end. Now, I prefer to sit back for a month or two so I can feel refreshed about it.

World of Warcraft - Right when I figured out that I would spend hours, upon hours grinding the same fucking instances over and over again to get a single piece of gear, just so I can move on to raiding. Fucking stupid waste of money and life here, folks!

True Crime: New York - The first time I drove through a building, the game was dead to me at that point. Glitchy, uninteresting plot, and boring mission advancement made it a choir to play.

Guitar Hero - Realizing that buying starter guitar set and learning how to play a real instrument is what led this game to an early grave for me.

Soul Calibur IV(Online Mode) - I decided to try this out since it fancied my interest(And because none of my friends were around). Joining a game is a pain in the ass, but finding someone that doesn't abuse infinite-combos and Kilik spamming is nearly as difficult with finding intelligent life on X-box Live. Although I mastered Nightmare, blocking was utterly fucking useless since the enemy gets rewarded for spamming the same move over and over again. Thanks Namco for the gimmicky soul shield bullcrap.

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
Elebits on the Wii instantly comes to mind. What a bizarre game in that I don't really like it, but I find I bring it up in conversation a lot. It was quite fun early on when the levels had short timers and before the bullshitty Elebits with bullshitty attacks showed up, but the game was WAAAAAAY too long, and once the level timers hit the 20-25 minute mark it was EXTREMELY frustrating to play for 25 minutes and not reach the requirements to beat the stage, and then have to play for another 25 minutes in order to beat it, or quite possibly, fail again. That wouldn't be so bad if it was somewhat possible to beat a stage on your first try, but most of the later stages are so big that you spend most of your precious timer trying to find where to go next to find the next little batch of Elebits that you're pretty much guaranteed to fail on your first time through the stage. Not to mention that if you got careless you could lose all your health and have to restart that way.

Still, I'm glad I stuck with it till the end and beat it since the ending is one of the best video game endings I've ever seen, and that somehow makes me look back on my time with the game much more fondly than I should.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Honestly, Portal. My problem was that after a while, some of the puzzles were just so ridiculous and I didn't feel there was any drive for me to solve them. Yeah, I LOVE the feeling you get when you do finally crack a level, but there are plenty of times where I'm just running around, trying EVERYTHING I can think of before dying (friggin turrets) and having to sit through the SAME loading sequence for the 50th time.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Katana314 said:
LA Noire. Spoilers, but I'll keep it somewhat generic and unspecific.

At the point when you realize each desk is only going to have one case with a satisfactory conclusion (and the rest will be arresting innocent people; one desk doesn't even have a positive conclusion whatsoever), and all your questioning is going to get you nowhere. All the game's actual "storyline progression" from that point on is awarded through gunfights.
The game would have been the greatest game of all time if
they had one main story to each desk and several different side quests cases within each one. This would have prevented the game from feeling too linear. I wouldn't have had that big of a problem with arresting innocent people or solving stories with gunfights, had I been able to work on cases that were nowhere near related to the main story. Cases where there actually was someone to arrest and you had to find them. All cases from the different desks would be for the main storyline, while there would be, maybe, a different filing cabinet for side quest cases that would have no bearing on the outcome/progression of the game.

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
starcraft 2 after i hit gold, i started to get roflstopmed by really high tier players after i won a game that took all my wit and effort to win... it was like "omg i cant belive i just wont that!" to "o.o are those 2 zerglings killing all my scvs marines and base single handedly..."

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
PeePantz said:
Katana314 said:
LA Noire. Spoilers, but I'll keep it somewhat generic and unspecific.

At the point when you realize each desk is only going to have one case with a satisfactory conclusion (and the rest will be arresting innocent people; one desk doesn't even have a positive conclusion whatsoever), and all your questioning is going to get you nowhere. All the game's actual "storyline progression" from that point on is awarded through gunfights.
The game would have been the greatest game of all time if
they had one main story to each desk and several different side quests cases within each one. This would have prevented the game from feeling too linear. I wouldn't have had that big of a problem with arresting innocent people or solving stories with gunfights, had I been able to work on cases that were nowhere near related to the main story. Cases where there actually was someone to arrest and you had to find them. All cases from the different desks would be for the main storyline, while there would be, maybe, a different filing cabinet for side quest cases that would have no bearing on the outcome/progression of the game.
How Phoenix Wright solved the issue (but replacing a desk with a whole game)

Basically, most of the games have 4 ordinary cases, then 1 really big case. During the ordinary cases, your attention is primarily drawn to the case at hand, but at times characters will break conversation to draw attention to some development that will relate to the final case. PW1 has Phoenix talking about his childhood days with Edgeworth, AAI has Edgeworth hearing again and again about the "Yatagarasu", etc. Still, the knowledge you gain is vague, and not directly helpful to the case yet.

Then, when you get to the final case, all eyes and all clues are on that one issue. LA Noire tried to do this with the newspapers, but it wasn't a very solid connection, and you still get useless "buildup" cases where nothing happens and you get the wrong guy.