Games that truly frightened you.

DJMasterFunkyFresh

Mar 6, 2010
The mansion level in Gex 64. (or which ever Gex game it was)

I played that game when I was around 8 or 9 and there was this bear that would follow you in the maze and around other areas within the level. When ever I saw it, me and my brother would usually jump and freak out over it.

EDIT: OH and F.E.A.R., I was playing it with my friend and his heart skipped a beat (literally).

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
System Shock 2 when I was younger. No other game has had me nervous from beginning to end.
(Both Dead Space and Bioshock borrow heavily this game, and neither do it as well imo)

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
any game where someone acts unexpectantly calm or places are abandoned ex. in portal the computer scared the crap out of me both when i started walking around the offices and couldn't find anyone and right after you destroy the first orb, and her voice gets unusually calm, I felt like my heart stopped. summarized the complete unexpected scares me but pretty much nothing other than that, for example i've watched walkthroughs of bioshock and didn't think that it was all that scary.

Also zombies creep me out because of the deeper thoughts i have about them like having mutilated versions of my friends and family try to eat me, or the thought that really horrifies me, "if i were to die in a zombie apocalypse, I would trapped against a wall with nowhere to run, be slowly eaten (a really crappy way to die) then have the guilt of thinking my corspe is now trying to damn my own friend to the same slow horrible fate of death by cannabalism".

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
The first time you encounter a Berserker in Gears of War. Shit scared me so much, it literally took me 3 days to work up the courage to try to beat it.

kduff51

May 3, 2009
Henrik Persson said:
One part of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. No other game/movie/whatever has even come close.
OMG, the fucking Hotel. God, that was so fucking scary.

jsouth88

Sep 29, 2008
F.E.A.R. when it first came out was pretty scary. Parasite Eve and Resident Evil 2 scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
I have yet to find a game that makes me piss scared but there is a couple that spoke me alittle like Condemned and once Fear but after i realized you could get hurt by the girl all the fear in Fear went away ironic heh

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Dead Space makes me twitch and yelp. I love it because it was the first time I have ever had the pleasure of hearing three grown men scream at the exact same moment (one of whom is my fiance, and I was hiding behind my laptop at the time). It was in the early chapters, the lights were out, it was the middle of winter so it was dead ass dark outside, and it was on a bigscreen tv with all of us huddled on the couches. That was a great moment I will remember forever.

It doesn't really creep me out so much as freak me out because of the moving shadows and stealthy attacks from behind. Still, when it's turned off it doesn't leave me with residual creeps, but for do or die adrenaline spiked fear, and not so much the keeps you awake at night, it is definitely top of my list.

Pargencia

Dec 1, 2009
saxist01 said:
CyanLink said:
SomeUnregPunk said:
CyanLink said:
This is an easy one. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. I never could play that game for more than half an hour without getting scared out of my wits.
while playing it, I started to get really paranoid as well as scared. Damn you sanity! Damn you to hell!
Yeah me to. I thought I was hearing shit for a while. Couldn't sleep that night.
The worst part was checking out that damned bathtub!
To tell the truth, I don't really get scared at games. Most horror games tend to rely on cheap thrills (monsters suddenly jumping out at you, sudden spikes in music, quickly flashing images for no reason). And most of this game was much the same as the others... save for one difference.

The only time I've ever been TRULY scared of a game is when this bastard of a game decided it was going to delete my save files. It showed me this right when I had decided to save it, and there was no way to back out of it. I damn near threw the game out (I literally had my hand on the eject button when I found out it was due to low sanity) the first time this happened to me. The fact that this was the FIRST thing I had experienced with low sanity helped. Until then, I thought it just tilted the room and messed with your character. This game screws with the freaking Player.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Metroid 2: Return of Samus (Gameboy), when you reach the egg in the tunnel underneath the queen it plays this creepy awful song. I still can't get it out of my head to this day.

Resident Evil 1, the dog through the window (I think this got everyone) and then later on, I was playing with a friend late one night and he shot a hunter, which appeared to be dead. Anyway, we're talking for like a half hour about something and then, suddenly, it screams and tears across the screen. We both jumped :(

Metroid Prime on Gamecube. That plant monster you fight early on is a bit creepy at 2am.

There was some other game too where monsters could open doors, and you'd hear them approaching (not wolfenstein though, was newer).

Edit: almost forget, prince of persia on snes, the levels with the undead and lava. I always hated playing through those parts (think it was the music mostly).

Bonkekook

Nov 5, 2008
spacecowboy86 said:
any game where someone acts unexpectantly calm or places are abandoned ex. in portal the computer scared the crap out of me both when i started walking around the offices and couldn't find anyone and right after you destroy the first orb, and her voice gets unusually calm, I felt like my heart stopped. summarized the complete unexpected scares me but pretty much nothing other than that, for example i've watched walkthroughs of bioshock and didn't think that it was all that scary.

Also zombies creep me out because of the deeper thoughts i have about them like having mutilated versions of my friends and family try to eat me, or the thought that really horrifies me, "if i were to die in a zombie apocalypse, I would trapped against a wall with nowhere to run, be slowly eaten (a really crappy way to die) then have the guilt of thinking my corspe is now trying to damn my own friend to the same slow horrible fate of death by cannabalism".
No offense, but I don't think watching walkthroughs of a video game has quite the same effect. Video game horror is centered around the idea of YOU identifying with the person you are controlling, and not wanting to die. If you don't really care about the character because someone else is "them", the enemies are not taken in a threatening context.

That's not to say BioShock is horror. It can have some startling moments though.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Condemned 1: Nothing

Condemned 2: HOLY FUCKING SHIT RUN!

I don't know why, but the second scares the hell out of me while the first does nothing.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Fallout 3. Bioshock almost made me scared but after Fallout 3 I was hardened to it. Damn Museum and its creepy vault.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
VincentX3 said:
That said:
I don't why but the chase scenes in 7 Days a stranger always had me on edge, it's not nice being chased through small Hallways, especially whilst playing it at night.

Also Dead space is really scary when you're playing through the second time.
Why the second time? Wouldn't it be the first?
Whoops my bad, I get ever so Confused.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
me and a mate were playing Dead Space
we entered a dark room where the only light coming thru was from the door we just entered
As we walked in further a shodow stood infront of the doorway
when we turned round it was gone
we were so scared we had to put on MJ's Thriller to lighten the mood
true story!

TheHermit

Nov 30, 2009
This may sound weird, but the only game ever to scare me was Zelda 2, I was 6 years old in the final castle, when you're just walking along and a giant blob drops from the ceiling, I dropped the controller and ran away and cried behind the couch for awhile.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
- Hotel level in Condemned 2.
- Dunwich Building in Fallout 3.
- Office level (where you first get the cloaked melee guys) in the original FEAR.

That's all, I'm not easily scared by games. Dead Space startled me once, BioShock once maybe twice, but I'm never really scared.
xXxTheBeastxXx said:
And CoD: World at War's Nazi zombies, totally high on acid at 1 AM with surround sound. I huddled in the bathroom for eight hours until my friends started singing disney songs to calm me down. I'm never dropping acid again.
NEVER.
Rather silly to play Nazi Zombies while on acid, that's like begging for a bad trip. You should play this while on acid:
The little plings and ploings, the disco track, the coloooouuuurs. Good times guaranteed.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
Penumbra: Overture, and Penumbra: Black Plague.

Horror games NEVER scare me, and these to both managed to terrify me to the point at which I nearly screamed occasionally. I've been able to breeze through many games that try to pass off as survival horror, like Dead Space, which didn't frighten me in the least (I honestly consider it more of an action game than horror), and the more recent Silent Hill titles, etc...

These games will scare the fucking shit out of you.