Games that you enjoy, but the critics did not.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
The question's in the title.

I don't care what anyway says, I Am Alive was a fine game. Granted, I would have loved playing through what I Am Alive used to be (a during disaster instead of after), but it had an interesting combat style, a strong atmosphere, a compelling character driven narrative, and a serious of gameplay features that work well with the game's ideas.

And it did The Last of Us before The Last of Us

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Do FF XIII and XIII-2 count? From what I hear, they're generally panned by western critics/audiences, yet I'm having oodles of fun with them.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Kid Icarus uprising wasn't hated by all critics but I I think it was criticised by enough of them to put down here. Some reviewers couldn't move past the admittingly shitty controls and rated it poorly because of it but Kid Icarus was easily my game of the year.

A better example would be Dynasty/Samurai warriors which western critics seem to hate. Not the best games of all times by any means but still very enjoyable.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Deadpool. Why not just enjoy the humor - I had fun, isn't that the point of a game?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I admit that I enjoyed CoD: Black Ops and Black Ops II which were hated on by pretty much all reviewers who aren't part of the sell-out segment of critical reception.

But a more serious answer, reviewers didn't tend to enjoy Remember Me. I think I kind of understand why but most of the criticisms towards it didn't really get picked up by me during my play-through of it. It's mostly unique and has ideas which are implemented well, with an interesting story with nice pacing and a good difficulty curve. My only problems are really with some of the characters and how on occasion a boss fight is just a previous boss fight on steroids, or how every boss fight from Madame onwards seems like a final boss fight.

From the first play-through alone it easily made my Top 10, if not Top 5 favourite games.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Do FF XIII and XIII-2 count? From what I hear, they're generally panned by western critics/audiences, yet I'm having oodles of fun with them.
I think they've gotten relatively positive critical response, actually. Lower than the average Final Fantasy generally gets, but still, 8/10 isn't a bad score.

The audience is another story, but, you know.

OT: It depends on what your threshold would be for determining whether "the critics" liked it or not. Below 70% review scores? If so, then most recently both Lollipop Chainsaw and Deadpool, for rather similar reasons.

Otherwise, probably most obvious would be Sonic Unleashed. I'll readily agree with almost all of the problems people say the game has, but I still think the Daytime levels were really fun and they helped pave the way for Colors and Generations.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Oh, and how could I forget Alpha Protocol

Despite the universal negative reviews, I, along with many others, find this to a fantastic game. That great dialog system, the stealth, the twists and turns. The gameplay itself is actually very good if you understand how the game is meant to be played. It's not a run and gun, like reviewers seem to think it is. It's a slow, tactical game. You need to actually line up your shot, wait for the right moment. It takes time and patience.

Though the boss fights were poor, the rest of this game is great.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Evonisia said:
I admit that I enjoyed CoD: Black Ops and Black Ops II which were hated on by pretty much all reviewers who aren't part of the sell-out segment of critical reception.
From what I hear, CoD games are generally approved- and in my humble opinion, for good reason. They're perfectly functional which wouldn't sound like much of a compliment if you didn't put them up against bloody Fallout New Vegas, Far Cry 2 and TF2. Holy hell.
OT: Assassin's Creed Revelations? I hear people say it's their least favourite of the franchise, but I really preferred it to Brotherhood (which I hated).

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Alpha Protocol. Boss fights were bullshit and the gameplay wasn't all that tight, though I never found it to be as bad as I've seen some people claiming it is, but despite those drawbacks I still found it to be an extremely interesting experience. I wouldn't consider it to be one of my favourite rpgs out there but it's certainly not one I regret playing either. In fact I'm looking forward to replaying it again sometime in the future.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
BloodRayne:Betrayal got some pretty bad scores from video game reviewers that sucked at video games lol, I liked the game I rushed to 100% in it though so I didn't play it for very long but it was fun.

I also enjoyed Hydrophobia though I do not consider it a good games by any means I had fun with it.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Urban Reign.

There is no other brawler that has surpassed it, even on the modern consoles. The controls are amazing, you can do so much with your character, there's hand-to-hand, wrestling, kung-fu, muy thai, some Tekken characters....it's an amazing game that no one played.

The problem was that the critics complained about the story and the difficulty. Very frustrating. Capcom and Namco teamed up to make this.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Depends what critics, if its Yahtzee then make that my whole collection, Dragon age 2? Mass effect 3? I know people hated them but have no idea about the critics

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Pretty much all the Gamecube-era 3D Sonic games were received negatively by critics, but I still thought they were good. Not as good as the 2D ones, and there were definitely a lot of issues with them, but I still spent countless hours on those games. There was also Sonic Battle on the Gameboy Advance, which I believe was received negatively. Yeah, it wasn't a great fighting game by any stretch of the imagination, but it was still a decent game.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
The Jaws game on PS2 is hilarious and kind of fun in a really stupid way. What other game instructs a shark to blow up an oil refinery? Also, you can grab people in your jaws and shoot them out like a projectile and watch them explode on impact.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.

Not high art, by any stretch of the imagination, but I had fun with it.

FightingFork

Jul 1, 2011
I had fun with Shining Tears for the PS2. It had a myriad of issues -- you could only carry 9 items of each type, meaning on the longer levels you had to go back to town to stock up on items before heading back out. It also looked like the dev team spent 90% of the budget on the opening cinematic (much of the gameplay was reminiscent of games 6 years before its time), and all 5 of the unique endings were incredibly disappointing.

However, the art (what little there was) was all lovingly hand-drawn, I found the story very engaging, and the characters (despite being all fantasy stock characters) were quite interesting and well done. Almost despite the game itself, I had a lot of fun with it.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Operation Darkness. Sure the camera was a bit tedious but other than that it was a solid Tactical RPG. Well, the cut scenes were bad too but they weren't important and were few in number. But again, gameplay-wise it was very fun for me.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Final Fantasy X-2. I dunno, I realize it just trivializes the original story and themes of X, but it plays like a dress-up fighting game and the story reads like a Saturday morning cartoon. I guess I just find it...cute. Not as a follow-up to X, but just as its own quirky little spin on the world and characters.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
My list(based off of PC metacritic and yellow rated games I feel should be in the green):

Alpha Protocol
Dead Island[footnote]I don't know if this counts because while it has a low score on 360/PS3, it has a more agreeable score for the PC version, the version I played[/footnote]
Saints Row 2

I didn't bother going into the reds. I didn't list any of the DLCs either since it seems critics are naturally harsher on those anyway.

Now, my list of shit that is green that should be yellow or red is muuuuuuch longer.