Games that you enjoy, but the critics did not.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
Hades said:
Kid Icarus uprising wasn't hated by all critics but I I think it was criticised by enough of them to put down here. Some reviewers couldn't move past the admittingly shitty controls and rated it poorly because of it but Kid Icarus was easily my game of the year.
This. I don't know whether I'm some form of demi-god or not, but I found the controls to work well and have never felt pain because of it (Something quite a few critics have mentioned). Also, the controls are easy to remap anyway (Something I didn't do), so I really don't see why they never thought to change the controls.

blueshark217

Aug 15, 2009
Definitely Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which I still consider to have a completely distinct and better combat system then God of War, Bayonetta, etc. in addition to being just a gorgeous game at times.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Nier.

One of the best jrpgs I've played but it got lukewarm reviews which I honestly don't understand.
The gameplay was fun and the story, soundtrack, and characters/voice acting was phenomenal.

Gashad

Apr 8, 2009
Desperados and Vampire the Masquerade. Now neither really got really bad reviews-but I had far more fun with them then there average marks in reviews would suggest.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Alpha Protocol. The gameplay got a little, ok, severely broken at the higher level (turn invisible plus insta-kill anything with a pistol by freezing time), but before that it was fun, flexible, it really did feel different based on how you stated your Thorton out. And the way the conversations worked was great. I've heard it compared to Mass Effect; that's fair, they are very similar. Where I disagree is with which one was implemented better (hint; it's not ME). I consider it one of my top 10 favorite modern games, and probably in the top 15 all-time.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Leemaster777 said:
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.

Not high art, by any stretch of the imagination, but I had fun with it.
It had it's flaws for sure, like the fact that when I started it on Hard (I heard it was pretty easy even on normal), and got to the Kraken, restarted on Easy and was still stuck on Hard difficulty (The final bosses enemies all 1-2 shot me... even the fembots). The humor was enough for me to put up with the sub-par gameplay up to that point.

Deadly Premonition for me. I'm only on Episode 2(Part 1), and I can see why critics bombed it when it came out. But I can also see why it was a "cult hit". Very interesting to say the least.

Alpha Protocol was another one. The game was hard as hell unless you spec'd into pistols and stealth but once you did that it was cake even on Hard. Some balance on the hacking and other weapons would have made it better, but it was still a decent game.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
I absolutely adored Fortune Summoners. I felt it was old school in all the right ways as it had a lack of hand holding, high difficulty of its enemies, and lots of encouragement for exploration. It never felt repetitive and the companion AI was astonishingly good. I also really liked the fact that combat wasn't just slash/slash/slash but more put more emphasis on block/counter/follow-up.

Metacritic score - 60
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fortune-summoners-secret-of-the-elemental-stone

I also enjoyed X-Blades. I admit the game had flaws of which probably the biggest were that the main character was really unlikable and there were lots of cannon fodder enemies. Still a lot of the fights were suitably over the top and the game was action packed. The combat felt pretty good without needing any QTEs. Paying very little for it on Gamer's Gate and the fact that I played it in short bursts till beaten probably helped its impressions on me.

Metacritic score - 54
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/x-blades

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Drakengard, Dynasty/Samurai Warriors (although I only play the Empires editions), Trap Gunner for the PSX, Monster Hunter, Dragon Age 2...That's just off the top of my head. Not to say I only buy critical darlings, more that I just don't normally attend to the reviews.

I loved KoF11 but critics hated it because...No story mode. Really? Because I need to get so immersed in the absurd, any-excuse-to-fight world of fighting games.

There are some beloved games that I just can't stand, though. Baldur's Gate, CoD, Marvel (well, I don't hate the MvC series, just ain't for me), Bioshock, Uncharted, every Mario game after Mario 64...

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Do FF XIII and XIII-2 count? From what I hear, they're generally panned by western critics/audiences, yet I'm having oodles of fun with them.
Hooray, I met the other person who enjoyed Final Fantasy 13! But yeah, Final Fantasy games tend to get good reviews. I mean shit, Final Fantasy 10-2 even got good reviews. But amongst gamers, 13 seems to be the most hated in the series, and I will never stop defending it.

I thought Hydrophobia got more hate than it deserved. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't good. But it wasn't as awful as I kept hearing people say. It wasn't anything special and didn't really try anything new, but I had fun playing what there was.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
The Punisher from 2005. It's a perfect Punisher game. I love it. 10/10. Even the music was freakin' awesome.
Not to mention all of the horrible things you could do to your enemies in that game. You know shit is getting real when curbstomping somebody is one of your most humane executions.

OT: Alpha Protocol was a decent game even though most reviewers would disagree. The combat wasn't the greatest, but the dialogue system was better than most other games with such a system.

Brutal Legend also got a ton of hate, but was actually a fun experience. It was pretty short, as I think I beat it in 8 hours, but the humor more than makes up for it. It's even better if you like heavy metal.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Apparently, Tales of Graces f.
Look at that like bar. Clearly I'm not the only one that disagrees with this review.

This game is a masterpiece, and one of the best games for the PlayStation 3. People who have a PlayStation 3 and any interest in RPGs should get this game. A lot of the criticisms I outtright disagree with. The story isn't perfect, but is still quite good and entertaining. Also, a lot of criticisms of this game should be put aside. Considering this game was originally for the Wii, what it has accomplished is pretty impressive.

And this game was a huge recent release. And I spent several months playing it as soon as I got it. Very happily.

The combat is amazing. The story is entertaining. The characters aren't always the most memorable you've ever met. But are still heartwarming and will work their way into your heart. And there's a wealth of content despite any shortcomings. And easily a better game in pretty much every aspect other than graphics, than Final Fantasy XIII.

This game isn't anywhere close to a 6.7. The game is deserving of an 8.7 at least.

To be fair, the Western gaming industry and perhaps the West in general tends to be fairly ignorant about both Tales and Dragon Quest. Which are considered the big three in Japan, but only Final Fantasy is known in the West. And most people don't seem know know much about anything that hasn't been connected to Squaresoft in some way over the years. The CGR review of Tales of the Abyss was one of the worst reviews they've ever done.
It really shows how overrated and over-publicized Squaresoft is in the West.

Though the misunderstanding of the Tales franchise is particularly notorious in the West. Even Jason Schreier of Kotaku who spends a lot of his time being one of the few in the industry who defends Japanese RPGs. And in fact spends a lot of time doing so. Doesn't get Tales at all, because it isn't a part of his Final Fantasy and Suikoden childhood. And sort of begrudgingly admits that Tales games are good for Tales fans. There's a lot of heavy bias in his words against Tales, that he wouldn't put at other franchises. And I very much am not someone who has Jason. I will very much defend him on his Dragon's Crown article. But I think he is very clearly prejudiced on the subject of Tales because it isn't a franchise he is nostalgic for.

You know what appraisal I would give Tales? The franchise that Final Fantasy wished it was right now. And consistent works of quality that don't take nosedives. Rarely has anything in the Tales franchise been even remotely subpar. The worst game of which probably being Tales of Symphonia: Ratatosk. And even that is a better game than Final Fantasy XIII.

When you buy Tales, Shin Megami Tensei, or Persona. You get quality. That is something no longer guaranteed out of Final Fantasy. And Tales of Graces f and Tales of the Abyss are both great games. Far better than they are sometimes rated. In fact, I would recommend anyone here now who is remotely interested in Japanese RPG to pre-order Tales of Xillia immediately. It has a great story and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I guess I can't complain too much. All of these ignorant reviews from folks like GameTrailers, CGR, and Kotaku. Because it shows that the West is still discovering the Tales franchise. And it means that more people, thus, are discovering this franchise. Which means more fans are on the horizon. It's a bumpy start, but hopefully it leads somewhere after the fallout of Square Enix. In the meantime, however, reviews like this are another Shenmue catastrophe.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
MysticSlayer said:
Pretty much all the Gamecube-era 3D Sonic games were received negatively by critics, but I still thought they were good. Not as good as the 2D ones, and there were definitely a lot of issues with them, but I still spent countless hours on those games. There was also Sonic Battle on the Gameboy Advance, which I believe was received negatively. Yeah, it wasn't a great fighting game by any stretch of the imagination, but it was still a decent game.
This. Sonic Battle especially, as I recall spending hours in that game just trying to unlock stuff for Emerl, who is basically the customizable robot fighter of that game. It was broken as all hell, mostly because you could always just spam the special attacks, but it was fun to.

Tenchu Z also springs to mind. It's not perfect, but it is a lot of fun and does the whole ninja-stealth thing really well. Then again, most of the reviews for the game skew the middle as opposed to being rated badly, and I'd have to agree with them there, so yeah...other than that, I have nothing.

Zykmiester

Jun 22, 2010
Medal of Honor Warfighter had awesome multiplayer and I enjoyed the campaign which IMO was the best military FPS campaign since COD4

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
Evonisia said:
I admit that I enjoyed CoD: Black Ops and Black Ops II which were hated on by pretty much all reviewers who aren't part of the sell-out segment of critical reception.
From what I hear, CoD games are generally approved- and in my humble opinion, for good reason. They're perfectly functional which wouldn't sound like much of a compliment if you didn't put them up against bloody Fallout New Vegas, Far Cry 2 and TF2. Holy hell.
They're generally approved but the chances of a large portion of critics who aren't bribed so the box can get a 9/10 on the front cover is something I don't tend to notice.

Obviously it's the general gamer base that hates CoD more, I know that.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
In a weird way I enjoyed the tie-in game to Harry Potter 5 for the PS2.
It got 61% on Metacritic, but it was quite fun: you could run around and explore Hogwarts. Can't remember if the missions were any good, but you could throw benches at other students, so that's that. (the GBC game to the first part was the best one though: JRPG in Hogwarts, based on the book and not the movie, hell yes. It got 7/10 on IGN and has not metacritic page, since I don't know whether or not this counts as bad, I'll leave it at that. Allthough I really love this game and played through it at least 10 times, so yeah)

I'm sure that there are more, but right now I can't really recall which ones.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Resonance of Fate

I remember thinking that the reviews for it were all up and down everywhere.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Aliens: Colonial Marines. Not a great game by any measure, but it did provide a solid gunplay and after the patches rolled out the aliens actually acted like aliens and became dangerous. While the network code was crap, the multiplayer was solid and pretty enjoyable.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
A lot of games...um.. Dragon Age 2, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2,Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Alice:Madness returns, Bleach Soul Resurreccion, Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2, Spider-man Web of Shadows(PS3 version). probably others i can't think of at the moment as well.