Games that you enjoy, but the critics did not.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
I adored Nier, and heavily recommend it to people who like a good story, sadly the critics disagreed.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
Silent Hill Downpour was met with mixed to average reviews, but when I read them they didn't seem to get "it". By "it" i mean what Silent Hill is really about, which Vatra seemed to understand perfectly since they went the way of the Silent Hill 2 and avoided any and all cult involvements. I thought that Downpour was the best Silent Hill since Silent Hill 2.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
crazygameguy4ever said:
A lot of games...um.. Dragon Age 2, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2,Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Alice:Madness returns, Bleach Soul Resurreccion, Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2, Spider-man Web of Shadows(PS3 version). probably others i can't think of at the moment as well.
Don't mean to be that guy that posts twice immediately but, since when were the ultimate ninja storm series negatively reviewed? They've been pretty much getting better and better and most people seem to know that. Also I totally agree with you on DA2, and ESPECIALLY Web of Shadows that game was the BOMB.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Carmageddon for the PS1, it was considert mediocre by critics but it was/still is a pretty awesome game, knowing what to do with the limited RAM memory the PS1 had.

A more recent on is Bulletwitch, sure it looks like it could have been a Xbox original game but looks are deceiving, it's quiet fun to play.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Hunted: demons forge was one of the most awesome 2 player games coop ive played.
Got savaged by critics including yahtzee for reasons that honestly dont make a lot of sense to me.
It was a decent looking game with an emphasis on coop and teamwork (ok that explains why yahtzee hated it, the single playing git, but what about every other critic?) and what surprised me the most is its a really good decent length too, so you get a lot of good gameplay for your money.

Shame it wasn't more popular, not enough good coop games like it :/

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Duke Nukem Forever, it was just another Duke game and people who claimed to be fans were complaining that all the things that made a Duke Nukem game a Duke Nukem game was immature or to much. Not sure how critics reviewed Mass Effect 2-3 but I loved both dispite the rediculously over the top fan backlash.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Gone Rampant said:
DishonoredElderSouls said:
Gone Rampant said:
Zykmiester said:
Medal of Honor Warfighter had awesome multiplayer and I enjoyed the campaign which IMO was the best military FPS campaign since COD4
... *Picks jaw off floor*

Oh God, we've one of those people who like spunkgargleweewee over here.

Also, I enjoyed Black Ops 2 more then I thought I would, simply because due to the choices, it kinda felt like Treyarch actually tried in this game.

I don't exactly...get how you couldn't feel hypocritical while writing that post. Go Yahtzee one second, then discuss MORE spunkgargleweewee almost immediately afterwards?
Because BLOPS2 tried to make Menendez sympathetic and they added in Strike Force to add to the experience. As a general rule, I tend to like campaigns for COD, whilst hating the multiplayer.

Besides, I played it last month for two days. For all I know I'm talking out of my ass and it's complete crap.
Even so you really didnt need to point out and laugh at the original poster, he can like whatever he likes and even though Warfighter was generic as fuck it was a very competent shooter (at least in the multiplayer). BLOPS 2 also managed to shake some things in its formula with those things that you already said (plus it has bots for multiplayer, and not entirely bad ones).

There is nothing wrong in liking spunkgargleweewee as long as you are open to other types of games, I think that people that go "oh, its just another modern military shooter, pass" are just about at the same level of the guys that only play modern military shooters (both basicly make a decision entirely by the cover of the book).

ThePenguinKnight said:
Duke Nukem Forever, it was just another Duke game and people who claimed to be fans were complaining that all the things that made a Duke Nukem game a Duke Nukem game was immature or to much. Not sure how critics reviewed Mass Effect 2-3 but I loved both dispite the rediculously over the top fan backlash.
I think that the place where Duke Nukem Forever certainly failed was in level design (the first few levels are actually not that bad in this area, at least there is interactivity), the later levels are really boring (especially the last area), the rest (humor and gameplay) are basicly at the same level of DN3D

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Most recently; Deadpool. I'm assuming it didn't get received well, but I enjoyed it quite a bit... on the day I played it. My biggest gripe is that the fun doesn't last forever. It does have other issues obviously, but I can overlook them just to hang out with Deadpool more.

Game that's deserved it; FUSE. Played a mission or two, my internet connection went bust and I was booted from the SOLO CAMPAIGN! Ejected the disc and played the latest Metal Gear Rising DLC. Haven't touched the game since.

Could've been about spies and be witty, but noooo, 12 year old don't dig that sort of thing. Irony being the game was released as PEGI 18. I miss Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank days... you have Sunset Overdrive Microsofties.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Miss G. said:
Deadpool. Why not just enjoy the humor - I had fun, isn't that the point of a game?
The downside of "games as art" crap is this belief that they have to be these great flawless masterpieces.

I liked Deadpool (other than some of the gun combat) but I am in agreement that the point of every game should be fun.

I like Hyperdimension Neptunia. It's quirky, flawed, and has a dated system. And you can only heal by chance which is infuriating, but I enjoyed the game. It had something like 48% on gamerankings.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
I personally enjoyed Brink a lot. Most critics hated it, I agreed on some points, but i liked the game. I liked it's story, artistic design - the clash between sci-fi white coral towers and rust covered ship wrecks reused as slums for the poor and immigrants. I liked the weapon customization quite a lot and it's large emphasis on team-play, you really couldn't go lone wolf there and have success like in CoD or whatever.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
FoolKiller said:
Miss G. said:
Deadpool. Why not just enjoy the humor - I had fun, isn't that the point of a game?
The downside of "games as art" crap is this belief that they have to be these great flawless masterpieces.

I liked Deadpool (other than some of the gun combat) but I am in agreement that the point of every game should be fun.

I like Hyperdimension Neptunia. It's quirky, flawed, and has a dated system. And you can only heal by chance which is infuriating, but I enjoyed the game. It had something like 48% on gamerankings.
I have Hyperdimension Neptunia as well but I've never checked the rating for it. It was kinda like watching a good abridged series on youtube, only you're playing it. That's what interested me in it in the first place. I imagine the next one will have the xbone as the villain; can't wait to see that story play out.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Zetsubou-Sama said:
Final Fantasy X-II

I mean, it has the most optimized turn-based system of all Final Fantasy allowing both strategy, fun and speed, and a great implementation of the job system. The story really picks up after Act 1 and allows you to explore a world after the Big Bad has been vanquished, developing the growth and change of characters that never had time to have fun and the way they must confront things that were supposed to never come back gave me chills.

If you look away from the J-Pop tone of the first Act it's one of the most solid Final Fantasies of the last ten years.
THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS. People see the jpop and immediately turn the game off, not bothering to notice it has the best combat, a great job system, and a strong storyline.

Mr Mystery Guest

Aug 1, 2012
The Walking Dead Survival Instinct. It was lots of fun. Stealth, no out-of-context leveling up system, intense and extremely playable.

It was an ugly bastard in places, the repetition of random locations was lazy but those were optional and you can tell the dev team knocked off home early when they just created about ten zombies but honestly if you noticed it then you weren't killing the zombies fast enough.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
BleedingPride said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
A lot of games...um.. Dragon Age 2, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2,Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Alice:Madness returns, Bleach Soul Resurreccion, Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2, Spider-man Web of Shadows(PS3 version). probably others i can't think of at the moment as well.
Don't mean to be that guy that posts twice immediately but, since when were the ultimate ninja storm series negatively reviewed? They've been pretty much getting better and better and most people seem to know that. Also I totally agree with you on DA2, and ESPECIALLY Web of Shadows that game was the BOMB.

The Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series has had some good reviews from people to be sure, but there have also been some reviews that had negative things to say as well. Gamespot gave the first game a 7.5 out of 10, G4TV gave it a 3 out 5. EGM gave Generations a 7.5 out of 10. Gamespot gave the recent Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 a 5.5 out of 10.. and Gametrailers gave it a 5.3 out of 10... the series has rated higher in Japanese game magazine and website then here i think.. I love the series though, so the low scores don't bother me as long as i'm having fun with the games.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Advent Rising.

To this day I am still sad I will never see how this story progresses and ends.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
bigfatcarp93 said:
Halo 3: ODST.

Fantastic game with well-done gameplay, excellent pacing and atmosphere, and a soundtrack to die for. Still, critics largely hated it, calling it a "Four-hour expansion." Even discounting Firefight Mode, I'd like to point out to these math-class rejects that the campaign is seven hours long, and does not feel like a Halo 3 expansion at all.
I concur, Halo: ODST was my favourite halo to play through, everybody else hated it tho.

Also, I didn't play multiplayer much so I can't say much for that aspect.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Lost Odyssey is in my top 5 games of the generation, but it got about mid-70s for reviews, so a bit of a disparity. I also heard that the copy that critics received had some bugs that were removed for retail, but still. The game has an amazing and thought-provoking story, and good ol' JRPG gameplay with a bit of a twist. Also, the ability to gain skills from other characters for your immortals is a cool idea that I like to see in RPGs (see also: spirits from Dream Drop Distance and GFs from FFVIII).
Can't wait to play through The Last Story, just haven't had the time.