Games that you hate but everyone else seems to ape-shit about it?

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
leberkaese said:
Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile: I don't like these games. They're boring to play and way to dull/depressing in their artstyle (well, except Torchlight). I enjoyed Borderlands, so it's not like I dislike the hunt for items in games. It's rather everything else in those games.
funnily enough I like all those games except Borderlands. I don't know why but that game was only really fun with friends. by my self it just got boring really fast

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
Bombiz said:
funnily enough I like all those games except Borderlands. I don't know why but that game was only really fun with friends. by my self it just got boring really fast
Admittingly, I only enjoy Borderlands with friends, too. I couldn't take those bullet sponges without anyone around.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
A few expansions ago OP I would have asked you why you hate Hearthstone. Then GVG came out and decided to make the game at least 70% RNG as to who would win regardless of deck building quality or skill as a player. Then BRM came out and missed the opportunity to make a new archetype in dragons and the only good cards were Grim Patron and the Emperor which were both in the first wing of the expansion. I mean as much as I love using Neffy he's far from good as far as late game cards go. Unless you get 12 damage double Fireball from him for the cheese win. Esports boys.

Then TGT came out and holy shit the RNG has somehow gotten even worse. Also the Inspire and Joust mechanics have also failed spectacularly to catch on, even in Mage with the Maiden of the Lake/Coldarra Drake combo i've not seen once. Once.

Yep i'm just going back to Devpro for a while. At least in Yugioh the netdecking Monarch scumlords actually need to understand their combos.

OT: Uhhh I guess Bioshock Infinite? It's not terrible but I hate time travel storylines and i'm a bit iffy on multidimensional storylines so combining both of them together was not going to win me over. That said if the time travel story was well told and presented properly I would have been ok with it (it's not) and the first half of the game was a pretty nice view of the pretty brutal city of Columbia and having to escape it with Elizabeth looked like it could be a pretty cool character based adventure.

Then they shifted focus entirely to make it about a shitty timetravel story that doesn't even make sense. The twist at the end is a a proven plothole just by reading the fucking name of the game.

Also Bioshock 2 was best because you have a drill arm. I can think of nothing that would not be improved by adding a fucking drill arm to it.

I never rant over things that are just bad, I rant about things that could have clearly been good but fucked up massively along the way. As anyone who remembers my endless rants over why Persona 3 has the worst main character possible for a Persona game can probably tell.

Mr.Blizz

Mar 15, 2015
GTA V: Boring and awfully written compared with any other GTA. Even IV was better and it was a much smaller game. If people wanna cream their pants over at GTA, they better do it for GTA:SA or Vice City. It's still a good name, but by far the worst GTA.

FF7: Dull animu shit without any distinguishing feature from other RPGs besides boring cutscenes pandering to aniotas and weeabos.

Any Sonic and Mario game: Most of them arent' bad but they are all overrated by nostalgic shitbags and obnoxius hipsters.

Any game with zombies as a main enemy: Boring, repetitive and shit written(looking at you, Last of Us).

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Grand Theft Auto IV springs to mind. It's drab and lifeless (at least compared to earlier entries), Niko's character is jarringly inconsistent, the cars handle like shit, and Roman just won't SHUT THE FUCK UP. One of the greatest instances of buyer's remorse for me was getting the game for full price on launch day. What's more, the guy at the counter managed to finagle me into buying the player's guide too, adding an extra $20 to the purchase.

"Hate" is perhaps too strong of a word, but I don't care for Minecraft. I wanted to love this game, I really did. I even fooled myself into thinking I liked it when I first installed it. But I'm here today to step up and admit the game is not for me.

Thing is, everything it has should be going in its favor. The concept is genius, the aesthetics are charming and the open world gameplay is solid. It just doesn't "click" for me. Whenever I try playing the game I either end up bored or ragequit in half an hour after one too many Creeper explosions.

...And then there's the fanbase. I try to be a tolerant man, but I don't like children, or at least the type of children that flock to Minecraft. They're loud, awkward, annoying and have no sense of social decor. So why on God's green earth do their parents let them get their grubby little hands on recording software and upload their screeching antics on Youtube?! What's worse, there's legions of the little fuckers, gleefully uploading their digital bowel movements by the thousands every day. No matter how much I try to avoid them they always manage to pop up somewhere in my Youtube recommendations list. Algorithms like that can go die in a fire.

Finally there's classic first person shooters like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. Not because they're bad games per se, but because they give me motion sickness.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Lots of ones I already regularly pick on mentioned in this thread. Bioshock being one of the singularly worst shooters I've ever played to the point I can't even clear the demo before getting bored and sick to death of it; massively inferior to the absolutely sublime Bioshock Infinite. GTA IV was the first GTA game I didn't finish because it was just so dull; characters, world, everything and to say nothing of the constant phone calls. I can't see how anyone can even finish Borderlands, let alone enjoy finishing it; I like some of the characters but the gameplay is thoroughly uninspired and the story feels damn near nonexistent.

For one in detail...since nobody else seems to have picked it up yet I'll bring up my personal favourite target for this kind of thing: Dragon Age Origins. It is probably one of the most painfully boring games I have ever actually completed. The combat was poorly paced, poorly balanced and utterly uninspired. Large parts of the story were a mess. The whole setup with the camp was utterly ridiculous since it was just a large, empty area with a few little places where you could go talk to your companions. The difficulty level had no logic whatsoever to it with one fight being a total pushover and the next being utterly impossible. Much of the design was flat and uninteresting. Its sole saving grace was that some of the characters were interesting.

Compared to the far superior Dragon Age 2 I really cannot see what makes people like the first game so much.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
For one in detail...since nobody else seems to have picked it up yet I'll bring up my personal favourite target for this kind of thing: Dragon Age Origins. It is probably one of the most painfully boring games I have ever actually completed. The combat was poorly paced, poorly balanced and utterly uninspired. Large parts of the story were a mess. The whole setup with the camp was utterly ridiculous since it was just a large, empty area with a few little places where you could go talk to your companions. The difficulty level had no logic whatsoever to it with one fight being a total pushover and the next being utterly impossible. Much of the design was flat and uninteresting. Its sole saving grace was that some of the characters were interesting.

Compared to the far superior Dragon Age 2 I really cannot see what makes people like the first game so much.
SHH! Quiet! You cannot speak that sort of heresy aloud! Regardless of its truth! Dragon Age: Origins MUST be superior to the sequel. Otherwise we will all be forced to admit that the lack of unique environments and main character development was grossly overshadowed by the improved mechanics and interesting story!

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
It's funny, people say Bioshock Infinite was overrated, but everybody on the internet seems to hate that game. I loved it. I feel like the only one who did. I also liked Bioshock 2.

My answer is Chrono Trigger. I've tried playing it multiple times and never get far. I like other Square games. It's just this one game. Supposedly it's the greatest JRPG. But the pace can be glacial and it's got weird puzzles just to progress. I don't get stuck in combat. It's just progressing in the game, outside of combat, which seems to require FAQs. Who's mind am I supposed to read to beat this game?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
You really should into detail about the games you have brought to add to the discussion sgy. Anyway, the games I'm mentioning I do not hate in the slightest, but I feel they have major problems that should be addressed.

- Resident Evil 4, what seems to be the most popular of the series becomes really really tedious. It functions very well and is pretty action packed and intense from the get go, but about 25% into the game I became absolutely sick of the entire thing.

The thing is, you are facing off hordes and hordes of zombie type enemy's nearly all the time. They do not go down easily unless you can make head shots often or use grenades at the right time, and even if you do, sometimes this virus thing will sprout out of them making them even deadlier, which is hard to hit. Then they come with shields, some get special weapons, and you hit them all in the same way so I never really felt it really changes up.

This game isn't like Half Life or Doom where you can annihilate groups of enemy's in seconds, and that's mainly because of the movement style. You slog around in 3rd person with a shaky cross-hair and you can't aim around corners effectively (or at all) and you need to remember all the buttons to shift around quicker, so what I'm saying is the game design doesn't match up perfectly with this style. It takes ages sometimes to clear a path, and with the slow movement it becomes really annoying when you are surrounded or need to aim at something quick, so I kept having to make all the mobs line up in tight spaces, and I just find this clumsy.

Also, there are many quick-time events which can pop up any time, even through cinematics, and to me it contradicts the game play completely. You are moving throughout most of the game, adjusting to the game play which takes a little getting used to, then you get these QE's which are very very simple to understand making all these big events feel like a mini game. Then there are times where it makes the challenges like guitar hero.

As for the narrative and characters; the acting is good, the writing is fairly basic, and the story is pretty predictable, so I didn't really get anything out of it. There isn't anything special I could point out, but I've said about almost every RPG, some being said to be the best ever. I really hope not.

- Shadow of the Colossus, the epic 3rd person adventure made up completely for searching for the next big boss battle, where the music is amazing but all it's flaws seem to be completely ignored.

You will see many praise some of the flying bosses as you hang on for your life while trying to safely get to their weak spots. Oh yeah, you can feel the air and the intensity of this epic struggle, if it actually was difficult at all.

No, the bosses aren't amazing at all I find. For one, they are all really bloody easy, except the small ones (not big at all so whoopti do), and the last couple which are simultaneously boring and a real big pain in the ass at the same time.

Seriously, the flying snake is praised often, but when I faced it I couldn't even tell if it attacks you or not. It is so so easy to take down that any chance I could feel that special feeling was lost because I wasn't threatened at all, and they are kinda like that. Even when it seems they are doing something amazing, it is very short lived. I reckon the sand snake was the best of the lot since it moved around like Jaws and could easily knock you down.

As for the final two, they don't move around interestingly at all, one walking back and forth while the other stands still, and they both assist you in reaching their weak spots which can be really annoying to reach because you have to make very precise jumps to get there. Not bloody once was I threatened by either of them!

I like the game, but this game isn't anywhere near perfect, and over all it just isn't great. None of the colossi do anything original that we haven't seen anywhere else before, and the challenges are hardly challenging, except for steering the horse.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
BF3/4.
This is mainly because i actually really enjoyed bad company 1+2 and am pissed they decided to focus on this boring generic shit with shitty characters rather than continue on with them.

Can't stand MOBAs of any kind, shitty community combined with shitty pay to win practices, no thanks.

Don't really hate it, but TLOU. Just couldn't get into it, the story seems pretty cool but the gameplay is just downright boring.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Any MOBA.

Oh ... and Mass Effect. I bought one and two, but just can't take the slow pace. Maybe if it had lore I enjoyed, much like Knights of the Old Republic?

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Any MOBA.

Borderlands + 2. They're the most painfully cliche and boring games I ever played.. terribly balanced and I really don't know who they're trying to appeal to with the aesthetics.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Any GTA after 2. Also MOBAs.

Mass Effect also annoys me ... I didn't mind ME1, but after that I just tuned out. I finished both other games, ad I just felt cheated out of my time. You could perfectly time any supposed 'ambush' and from which direction the enemies will emerge. Meaning you could end any fight pretty much before it begins. Sometimes I used to play pistols only because, well ... the game scales horribly. It doesn't get harder, just seems to scale to the power and proficiency of your weapons. So it's not one of those games where you ca 'polish' your shooter skills ... you just get used to the mechanics and spend the rest of the game(s) facing tedious waves of enemies who might share a brain cell between them.

You feel less an intergalactic hero and more; "Commander Shepard, Counter-idiot Squad."

It's horribly dull.

And the inventory system of ME1 ... argh <.<

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Skyrim

I didn't like the poorly written story, the unfocused gameplay and the wooden as f@ck characters. I just found this game to be soooooo boring.

The soundtrack was awesome though.

Another game that I couldn't quite get into (despite enjoying it at times) was the original Deus Ex. The storyline played out like a mediocre Shadowrun campaign with a "no magic" house rule applied to it, the characters were a mixed bag, the combat was meh and the stealth mechanics were just infuriating (I'm looking at you tranquillizer crossbow). I just liked System Shock 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall far, far better as far as cyberpunk RPGs were concerned.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Panty quest/fighter of the month , STeam user reviews laud these games as the virgin mary. I find it to be annoying since they would defend their purchase and go on and moan about how the big reviewers dont give them high scores. Meanwhile i have to grumble about how a decent beat them up gets passed over for localization

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
-Mass Effect 2: I really don't see why folks who go on about how much better the combat was than the first game. Cooldown was an interesting mechanic that set it apart from other shooters, and removing it required a healthy dose of nonsensical retconning. I think universal cooldowns were a horrible idea, and it felt very 'gamey' as a mechanic. Likewise the restriction of certain things like ammo types to powerups that had previously been weapon upgrades- like incendiary rounds- felt rather arbitrary. And the removal of equipment upgrades felt like a restriction on loadout customization. Lastly, I felt like it leaned even more on the 'chest high wall cover based-shooter' paradigm than the first game. You could tell exactly where you would be walking into a firefight because said walls would be littered everywhere. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater by ditching the Mako and the associated exploration segments that went with it.

The plot was nonsensical and contrived-killing off the PC and blowing up the Normandy only to bring both back right afterwards. Forcing the player to work for a terrorist organization. Weird tonal shifts to make the universe 'darker and edgier'A storyline that consists of 90% collecting your party and doing side quests for them. (stuff that should rightfully just be 'first act' sort of stuff) It seemed to me that they were trying a bit too hard to make all of the recruitable characters 'badasses' after a while it just became eyeroll-worthy for me.

-Halo: The first game was good enough, but as the series drags on, I kinda feel like they are leaning on the 'humans are special' sort of tripe that pops up a fair bit too much in fantasy in sci fi, imo, and overselling the Spartans to a ridiculous degree. The opposition is just so incompetent by comparison it's hard for me to feel terribly threatened by them.

-Skyrim: Relied a bit too much on the graphical upgrades and the introduction of dragons and gimmicks like dual-wielding to sell the game. At the same time core stuff like Attributes got removed for no good reason. Enemy variety seems rather pale compared to Oblivion or Morrowind because it lacks the variety of Daedra that either of those had (particularly Oblivion) and the wacky alien creatures that Morrowind had. The plethora of retcons didn't help for me, nor did the lore developments they decided to go with- was destroying Vvardenfell *really* necessary (short answer-NO!), setting a canon gender for the Hero of Kvatch and the Nerevarine- was that really necessary? (sort answer, again-NO!)

-Dragon Age 2-onwards: The retcons, gameplay and tonal shifts that the Dragon Age series has undergone makes my complaints about the Mass Effect series has undergone pale in comparison. I have always had an iffy relationship with the Original Dragon Age- It was distressingly derivative of a number of other IPs, and the MMO-lite game mechanics never sat well with me for a supposed 'spiritual successor' to Baldur's Gate. But I think The solid plot (best one from Bioware in a long time), considerable side quests, different prologues (origins) and a considerable feeling that your actions mattered. The sequels threw pretty much everything of value about the series out the window as far as I'm concerned. the Dragon Age of the first game has almost nothing to do with that of the later games IMO, which is HUGE check against it in my book.

-The Old Republic: Take a popular single player RPG, make it a MMO with microtransactions, change the art style drastically, Mary Sue villain, give a set gender/alignment for the characters from the first two games, shoehorn in retcons to make the square peg of the previous games fit with the round hole of the new one...etc etc. Pretty much checks all the boxes for 'things I don't like to see in sequels to games I like'

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Minecraft. It's just so boring to play and even more boring to watch. There's an overabundance of YouTube channels devoted to it and it's just mind numbing.

Warhawg01

Oct 15, 2014
Metal Gear Solid.

I don't have much experience playing it, but things like the box throw me off: I don't care if it's a staple -- the hide in the box thing is just plain stupid. I also think the whole Fulton system is dumb. MGS is supposedly one of the best stealth game series ever made, and nobody sees balloons of dudes and sheep floating in the air or ever hears the airplane that scoops them up? My biggest issue is the Kojima-as-autuer/genius act is very tiresome. The MGS story is just utter garbage.