Games With TOO Much Content?

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Juste Goose said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Just Cause 2 yet. Getting anywhere in that game is just like commuting in real life, only without music.

I mean, I know grapplechuteing around is more fun than driving, but it takes even longer.

All the missions are pretty same-y too.
Oh why didn't I think of that one. If you try and go almost anywhere without using a plane or a helicopter you must be glutton for punishment because even with a plane or helicopter it takes forever to get anywhere. Certainly if you're trying to go to the other side of the map anyway. And most of the side missions outside of the racing ones, which I couldn't be asked to do, just involve going to a place and blowing shit up. Also hunt for mcguffins.
Based on transit times I actually calculated that JC2s world map is about the same size as the county that I live in. Yeah, I was fine with my ~25% completion rate.

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
windlenot said:
Juste Goose said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Just Cause 2 yet. Getting anywhere in that game is just like commuting in real life, only without music.

I mean, I know grapplechuteing around is more fun than driving, but it takes even longer.

All the missions are pretty same-y too.
I was also waiting for somebody to mention this. The game begs for a proper fast travel and that helicopter pilot really gets on my tits after a while.

Just Cause 2 is really the only one to come to mind... Maybe leveling yourself out in COD to the max level and prestige, but that's really you grinding out the same thing over and over, and if you like that kinda stuff, more power to you, I guess. Just not my thing.
I really don't get the point of prestiging. Like, the diehard fans work so hard and put so many hours into getting to that level, only for a new game to come out a few months later and have to start from the ground up. I would think they'd get tired of doing that after it happened, like, twice...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@jetriot:
Where did I say I 'HATED' anything?

Not everyone is a NEET or whatever.
Some of us have jobs, families, friends, and other 'real world' stuff that's more important than our hobbies.

There are also some games that pad their play time with meaningless/boring content, just to put words on a box.
-Hey, this game has over 100 hours of content!
-Sure about half of it is the same damn fetch quests with different NPCs or changing killing a chicken to killing a duck.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Guild Wars 2....

I mean this is what you can do so far in the game-

Doing the story or exploring
Dungeon run either the theme dungeon or the randon portal dungeon (Fractual of the Mist).
Structure PVP (standard PVP)
World vs World vs World (mix between PVE as in exploring the area and PVP since you're up against other players).
Minigames

Don't get me started on the bi weekly content!

I'm pretty sure I am missing out one or two things but come on! Only someone who is rich and got nothing to do in real life can played all of those content at ease!

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Juste Goose said:
I really don't get the point of prestiging. Like, the diehard fans work so hard and put so many hours into getting to that level, only for a new game to come out a few months later and have to start from the ground up. I would think they'd get tired of doing that after it happened, like, twice...
Being a person who has prestiged multiple times, never close to the whole way though, it's really just the addictive gameplay and nature of either unlocking shit or it's on the road to perfecting guns or challenges. It has its niche, a very VERY large niche.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know about Skyrim, really. It'd be more fair to say the game contains several 20-hour experiences to be enjoyed in one package than to tackle the fairly daunting implications that having to go through hundreds of quests with a single character can suggest.

In my very personal opinion, there is no such thing as a game that's packing too much content - there's only gamers who haven't learned to partition their enjoyment of said content. I have one Main Quest character in Skyrim - paired with a Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood combo, a Companions-dedicated character, and one for each of the expansions. That allows me to keep things on a manageable level. It allows me to avoid burning myself out on the entirety of Skyrim's content or to face a situation where I'll have put in hundreds of near-consecutive hours in, only to become bored of it all.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
MrFalconfly said:
Gran Turismo 5.

Too damn many boring and utterly pointless econoboxes.

Why does GT5 feature a Toyota Yaris and not the Group-B rally cars?!?
GT5 does have a lot of superfluous cars

all i did was buy a clio v6 and maxed out all the upgrades and i was blitzing pretty much every hyper car in the game. it wasnt until i started racing le mans cars in the final tier that it started to struggle

seriously just buy the clio v6 and fully upgrade it you want be disappointed (its tricky to set it up, you need to change a load of settings to make the handling good)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Zhukov said:
Every open-world game ever.

Assassin's Creed, GTA, TES, you name it.

They always seem determined to pile on the tedious filler at every opportunity.

I find that the only way to make them bearable is to skip everything except main story quests. Except then you're missing most of the content, so what's the point?
I was going to say "GTA-San Andreas" but that one goes right under your blanket. I'm just pissed off at that game because I tried getting into it again and, was overwhelmed by how bad I was at it...and how bullshit bits of it turned out to be after all these years...

---

Open-World games is a nice blanket statement. Can't really add on to that...oh wait, yes I can because JRPGs. It's one thing to require 30 to 100+ hours to beat the main game but then you factor in things like side quests, NPC quests, treasure hunting, pain-in-the-ass treasure hunting (like magazine hunting in FF8 or, the Excalibur quest in FF9)...JRPGs are fully loaded...many times with fluff.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
There's no game with too much stuff to do. There's only games that stretch themselves too thin and sacrifice quality for quantity.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
Anoni Mus said:
Banjoo Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 sometimes felt a big overwelming.
I never played Banjo Tooie, but yes! Donkey Kong 64 has a crazy amount of content to it! It's amazing when it takes a relatively small amount of the total bananas to complete the game fully. Regardless DK64 is still a fantastic game and I'll love it forever.

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
Too much content in a sandbox or RPG seems like a somewhat silly complaint to me, so instead I'll say Okami. It was a fun game, but when I beat Orochi after 25 hours of gameplay, I was kinda ready to see it all end. Turned out I was barely halfway.

Still a great game, but each new twist started to grate on me after that.

EDIT:

Yoshi4102 said:
Anoni Mus said:
Banjoo Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 sometimes felt a big overwelming.
I never played Banjo Tooie, but yes! Donkey Kong 64 has a crazy amount of content to it! It's amazing when it takes a relatively small amount of the total bananas to complete the game fully. Regardless DK64 is still a fantastic game and I'll love it forever.
Good point, I've been itching to replay Donkey Kong 64 for a while, but whenever I remind myself of all those times I had to backtrack the obscenely large levels to find one of the character-swapping barrels, I just let out a sigh and replay Fable 2 for the eighteenth time instead.

Banjo&Tooie wasn't too bad, in my opinion, but I do agree that the tasks were less fun than in its predecessor, as well as requiring a whole lot more backtracking.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Several people have said it so far, but im gonna comment on it. (I really need to have some funner topics after posting in super serial ones.)

Skyrim. To much land. To much area to cover, not enough to fill it up. I remember once in an early game I had, what I think, was a random event happen, and after that not a single one. Its not to fun for me to walk for 5-10 minutes to a location, cus I could do that in actual life! I want story or events or something in them. Just to much land man, to much.

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
thethird0611 said:
Several people have said it so far, but im gonna comment on it. (I really need to have some funner topics after posting in super serial ones.)

Skyrim. To much land. To much area to cover, not enough to fill it up. I remember once in an early game I had, what I think, was a random event happen, and after that not a single one. Its not to fun for me to walk for 5-10 minutes to a location, cus I could do that in actual life! I want story or events or something in them. Just to much land man, to much.
I actually had a different problem with Morrowind. You simply trip over stuff at every turn and all of it just ends up in your log, you have to walk a ludicrous distance towards the goal and by then you've got 3 more items on the list. Cities like Vivec were a nightmare, man.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd forgotten about Morrowind.

THAT is a game that could have used a better journal/fast travel system.

I don't think I've ever gotten 100% in it.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Skyrim. It was the reason I stopped playing. I got too overwhelmed and I didn't know what to do right away or to wait on. *shrugs*