Games you consider overrated

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Umm... let me see now...

COD, Battlefield, Gears of War, Halo, Deus Ex, Dragon Age Origins, Morrowind, Fifa and there's probably a lot more.

As for reasoning, the shooters I've listed are just sooooo mundane and boring. I can't stand the story mode in COD games.

Morrowind just seemed like a really crap version of Oblivion where main characters could die and you couldn't move very fast for very long.

Dragon Age has the dullest combat I've seen in a game since Runescape, and the whole moral choice dialogue thing is greatly overrated, it's just a bit good I guess.

And Fifa... well that's just shit.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
octafish said:
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I was pretty underwhelmed by Bioshock. I didn't think it was a bad game, or anything like that... it just didn't live up to the hype and expectations I had for it as a long-time System Shock fan.snip
Indeed. Although I do differ from you on one point, I do think it is quite a poor shooter. I think the gameplay is better in many, many, other games.
Wait... hold up... Bioshock was a shooter?!

I thought it was a melee game, seeing as how the wrench was the most effective way to fight enemies.

Yes.

Even Mr. Bubbles.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
All brown grey military esque shooters. Though I liked Resistance 3 mayabe cause I could carry more than 2 guns and it was alien spores.

FF13, 13-2. I love JRPGs but giving me the bare bones with no exploration and a boring setting just didn't intrest me as people tell me it should.

Mass Effect: I keep on trying to get into the first game but its having difficulty pulling me in. Plus I bought it around the time Bioware came out with that whole "HUR DUR ALL JRPGS ARE BAD CAUSE WE ONLY PLAYED FF7 AND NOTHING ELSE!!!" and now every idiot who thinks every and anything that remotely comes from from Japan(including rice, I am serious I once had someone say since Japan has rice as a type of food they eat there so therefore all rice is bad) is the Antichrist uses that as fuel to make personal attacks against anyone who likes JRPGs. "WHATS THAT GAME? DEVIL SUMMONER? ITS A JRPG ANDS BIOWARE SAYS ALL JRPGS ARE BAD SO YOU HAVE SHITTY TASTE!!!"

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zydrate said:
Vigormortis said:
Zydrate said:
Halo. I enjoyed the first, had some fun with ODST.

They're enjoyable, but not sure why they're so well regarded in their fandom.
Oh wow. Someone else who actually has the same opinion of the Halo series as I do. That's actually more rare than you think.

I loved Halo: CE as well as ODST. Both had their flaws, but they mixed things up and brought something interesting to the table. (not to mention having better stories that the others) But, 2, 3, and Reach were just underwhelming at best and down right mediocre at worst.

I also liked Wars. I know a lot of gamers bemoan the game because "hurr durr you can't do RTS on console". No, you can't do great RTS games on a console. But Halo Wars is about as close to a good RTS game you'll ever get on a console.
I also meant Reach, not ODST. Still, the series is functional but the Fandom are out of their minds.

Ah. Well, so much for that thought. Haha.

Still, at least we agree on CE. (I think)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Skin said:
Zydrate said:
I also meant Reach, not ODST. Still, the series is functional but the Fandom are out of their minds.
It is a shame that you meant Reach rather than ODST, because I thought you would have been spot on with what you said.

A majority of the hardcore Halo fans are stupid. A large number think Halo 2 was the best, despite it being a regression of the original. Halo 3 also was not bad by any stretch of the imagination. 4 out of its 9 levels were very good, 2 of them were just epic, and it had some solid multiplayer as well.

ODST was a something new, we weren't invincible supersoldiers kicking the shit out of our enemies, but rather mere mortals struggling to survive. Reach was just a flip back to the supersoldiers kick shit but now with sprint!
My thoughts exactly. (well, save for the Halo 3 part. that game just didn't do it for me.)

I liked both the switch ups in ODST as well as the return to a more classic setup akin to what was in CE. Likewise, though it had it's flaws, I rather liked the story. Especially the non-linear, exploratory nature of it.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Skin said:
Zydrate said:
It is a shame that you meant Reach rather than ODST, because I thought you would have been spot on with what you said.

A majority of the hardcore Halo fans are stupid. A large number think Halo 2 was the best, despite it being a regression of the original. Halo 3 also was not bad by any stretch of the imagination. 4 out of its 9 levels were very good, 2 of them were just epic, and it had some solid multiplayer as well.

ODST was a something new, we weren't invincible supersoldiers kicking the shit out of our enemies, but rather mere mortals struggling to survive. Reach was just a flip back to the supersoldiers kick shit but now with sprint!
ODST wasn't bad, but I didn't play as much of it.
That's the thing about Halo. It wasn't bad... Just confused as to why it's such a huge franchise.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
the Mass Effect series. i played the first one, and i have never been more bored with a game's gameplay or more confused by a game's story. the story seemed to jump at least a full game in, with terminology, technology, history, and political intrigue i had to grasp immediately upon seeing. the second one was better in terms of gameplay, but i still didn't have a very clear idea what was going on.
they weren't bad, i just didn't enjoy them. i didn't finish 1 or 2 and i probably won't play 3.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Final Fantasy. Any and all of them. I tried, lord knows I tried, I played all but three of them, and in every single one I think "this must be the good one". But nope...

Also, Halo. I like the story and the universe, but as a game, it just feels average.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I'm going to point out some games I think are over rated; but I've got a TV program to watch so I can't be arsed to state why. IF I can be bothered after I'll fill in the blanks. This is a one-off from me as I always like to maturely put across my points and then hang around for the responses.

Her I go:
Dead Island
Half Life 2 (It was good, very good but not godlike)
Fallout New Vegas
Guitar Hero
Bastion (I admit, narration was good: Game was meh)
Borderlands
Borderlands...
Fallout New Vegas...
Lost Planet 2
Medal of Hono_r (2010)
All Devil May Crys
Rainbow Six: V2 (V1 was better, neither as good as the originals)
Mirrors Edge
All Devil May Crys...
All Devil May Crys... some more...
Minecraft (fun with friends, crap without)
Bioshock 2 (1 was my top 3 best storylines of the 00's)
Farcry 2 (was crap)
Unreal Tournament 3 (IE not UT/2/2003/2004; but GoW: Tournament)
Call of duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: WaW
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
...and on a completely related note, I thought CoD: Black Ops' story was so good it fitted into my top 10 storylines of the 00's. I was surprised at how well a bland, done-to-death run and gun could pull of a good story, but it did so I thoroughly enjoyed it.

HATERS GONNA' HATE
Timestamp - this took me 2 minutes longer than I intended.

I've made a brief return, just want to add two more to my super-list. I'm not a downer but there are a lot of overrated games in comparison to the relatively fine hyped games and the hidden gems. This list is anything completely overrated and/or abysmal (in my eyes).
The Becker said:
Every Final Fantasy game/ Kingdom Hearts game. I just don't see the appeal.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Lev The Red said:
the Mass Effect series. i played the first one, and i have never been more bored with a game's gameplay or more confused by a game's story. the story seemed to jump at least a full game in, with terminology, technology, history, and political intrigue i had to grasp immediately upon seeing. the second one was better in terms of gameplay, but i still didn't have a very clear idea what was going on.
they weren't bad, i just didn't enjoy them. i didn't finish 1 or 2 and i probably won't play 3.
You didn't *have* to grasp it all immediately. ME eased you into everything.
But since you can barely type, I imagine you didn't have the thought process to follow it like the rest of us.

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
In general, EVERY GAME THAT IS OVERHYPED BEFORE RELEASE. because technically that means its nearly impossible for it to reach peoples expectations. least of all mine.

But specifically? COD (sorry, had to say that) not thats its bad... its just nothing new.
Battlefield 3 (yep, this isnt a fanboy talking) was gonna buy it, but i went online at a friends and it was M320 spam :p
Current Gen GTA because they just arent as "ass-around"-y as the oldies :)

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Batman: Arkham City
The entire game rests on only its satisfying combat engine. However, its story, environment, level design, controls, everything. Terrible.

Half Life 2 (along with the episodes)
Its physics-engine (which was a great addition at the time) could have along with the good art direction made for an all right game. Too bad the combat, story, level design, puzzles and characters are nothing to write home about.

Dragon Age: Origins
For a game that prides itself on writing, there wasn't anything great about the idea OR the execution. Even its characterization was lackluster and archetypal, with any character-development solely being driven by the player's interest and interaction. I cannot call them characters if they just exist as props for the player to interact with.

Ehhhh...theres probably more games that I could think off, but I think this will do.

EDIT:
Oh look, a self-proclaimed internet GENIUS.
Zydrate said:
You didn't *have* to grasp it all immediately. ME eased you into everything.
But since you can barely type, I imagine you didn't have the thought process to follow it like the rest of us.
I've done this community a service by reporting your post. We don't need assholes who think they are some motherfucking MENSA-member shitting up the discussion with bullshit like this.

Lev the Red simply didn't like the information dumps. Although I liked the game personally, I can see why someone might not want to burn through tons of background information just to find out what's going on. Its a matter of the player's interest and the amount of time they have to invest in a story. That's it.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Tons...but I don't translate overrated as bad. Simply rated higher and given more hype than it deserved when compared to other games in it's category. Rather than just list 50 games I'll stick with three of the most notable and recognized.

GTA 4 - I felt this game was simply bad. It's probably the only game that I consider overhyped and genuinely boring.

FF 7 - I felt this game was solid but disappointing compared to my experiences with FF6 and FF4. I loved elements of the story and I loved the villain, but that only ate up about 10 hours of a 40+ hour game.

Skyrim - The experience was great to revisit but the reality of the game sunk in way to quickly. It feels 'old' without getting into pages of reasoning. Skyrim's hype sold as much more than Oblivion 1.5.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
GTA IV: I went into the game remembering how much fun I had in 3 and Vice City, then I pretty much couldn't get into the game due to it being extremely boring.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and 3 (most original opinion ever): I like the story of MW 2, but ended up having a weird relationship with the multiplayer, sometimes I thought it was awesome, other times I thought it was the worst thing ever. This mostly happened after Battlefield Bad Company 2 came out so that may be why. Now I think it is sometimes fun in short bursts, but only sometimes. After playing Battlefield 3 and watching some people play MW3, I noticed 2 things: That it was exactly the same as 2, and I couldn't believe how grey and dull it was. Besides aesthetics, I don't think it is a better FPS than BF, and I don't get some of the reasons why people like it so much.

Any Half Life game: (I am gonna get a lot of flak for this probably) I haven't played one so I guess it doesn't count, but because of all of the people praising it to be a godsend shooter series and saying if you don't think it is you are an idiot made me decide to never play the series ever.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Misterian said:
What's up with writing so that Grey Wardens only live to be 30? their lives are already on the line fighting Darkspawn, especially the ArchDemon, so what's the point?
I can explain this one for you. Its largely to show that they are not totally immune to the Darkspawn taint. Some last longer than others, but at around 30 they start hearing the Archdemon's calling them from the Deep Roads or W/E, and are compelled to follow. This is because the Darkspawn blood they drank is turning them into a ghoul.
Largely, its to show that the Grey Warden's aren't big bad baddasses who can pimp around the world forever. Eventually, even your Warden will fall to the taint. It gives them a sense of Mortality - though maybe that mad Wizard in Wardens keep will be able to change that.

OT: Nearly Everything. 90% of everything to use a clichéd number.
Currently, in particular, Skyrim.

It is alright, yes. Does it have amazing scope? Yes. Is it gods second gift to Earth, so brilliant I will need nothing else for the rest of my life until the next TES game? No.
The bugs are far too numerous and annoying. No BS about 'Its Bethesda'. That is not an excuse. If it is a bug that breaks part of, or the whole, game for me - there is no excuse for it. Some of these bugs would even have been easy to fix - they did something like it at other points in the game that still let quests and such work.
Next, the gameplay was mediocre at best. There are only so many times you can spam click to kill an enemy and find it interesting. Its not many for me. The puzzles were, at first, a welcome relief to normal gameplay in modern games, but after they used the same puzzle 20 or more times, it got old. The AI for everything was absolutely pathetic, leaving enemies and companions alike to die very quickly on every trap, hill and anything.
The UI was horrid, especially the inventory - though things like the favourites bar, spell menu, level up screen, ect. were horrid in how they handled, and focused too much on trying to look good.
Even on highest graphical settings, the game looked mediocre at best, and terrible at worst. I cannot stand seeing a 256 texture covering a large rock inside a cavern. It makes my eyes bleed. To put it in perspective, 256 is the size of the textures used for eyes. Other textures were usually less offensive, but after hearing so much about how amazing it looked, I was thoroughly disappointed until I installed 40-50 mods to fix its graphics. With the new HD TP, maybe that will have changed. I haven't managed to drag myself back to see if it has yet.
There were a few interesting or cool dungeons, and fewer awesome dungeons, but most were extremely samey - seemingly using the exact same rooms in a slightly different configuration. No, I am not looking for a million new assets to be made and such. I can guarantee though that modders using current in game assets will be able to make more interesting dungeons than the samey ones around now. Interesting design things that aren't what I expected are what I'll be looking for. That Dwarven ruin that had a section of passage going down vertically, with pipes on the wall to jump to and such, was interesting. That bones in the gears challenge was interesting. Walking through rooms with the same name and same basic, linear layout of most other Dwarven Ruins/Crypts/Caves ect. is not interesting.
Dragons, for being such a large part of the main story and marketing, are some of the worst portrayal of Dragons I have seen for gameplay purposes. They are at their best when flying - which seems to be along a semi fixed path - and absolutely pathetic when landed. Hell, town guards can take them down with no trouble. There is no need for the Dovahkiin. Now, if they were able to simply rape an entire town and barely be hurt, and the Dovahkiin was actually NEEDED to fight the dragons, maybe it would be interesting. As is, no.

That is a basic outline of some of my main problems with Skyrim. I don't hate the game, but its only worth one playthrough for me, and really isn't that fantastic.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I don't understand what anyone sees in Dead Space. Not only is it unfun and unchallenging (the basic cutter is the best weapon), but the story is balls.

In space, all space religion centres around a single space artifact in space. Then there was another space artifact. This one is probably made by humans, in the image of the first one, but maybe not. Then space zombies happen and (surprise!) that religion based on dying but not-dying turns out to be about zombies. Main character goes crazy. Then you stomp on some heads. Space gun

If you name your main character after two popular (but not the best!) dead science fiction writers, at least come close to their level in your own narrative. Give sci-fi some respect.

Then there's the "horror". Good god, is this what passes as horror these days? The scariest part of the game was a few seconds of the opening that showed a sick-looking human shape in a space suit mindlessly thumping its head against the wall, leaving a blood stain. It's a seriously creepy image that brings to mind mental illness and human frailty. In the game, when you approach there's a loud noise and the dude falls over.

Instead of letting me feel the primal fears of darkness, confined space, flickering light and strange far-away noises, there are suddenly zombies and you have to fight them. If you find a corpse, whether you made it out of a space zombie or not, you stomp it to get money to buy upgrades. It's silly and the giblets flying everywhere are completely silly. These two games are current-gen, don't they have enough genuinely scary games that they can try to match in quality?