Games you couldn't understand the hype over?

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
Dead Island. I've mentioned my hatred for dead island before but I will always feel free to bash it.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Deus Ex - I don't get it. Some guy with permagoggles running around doing stuff. Why?
Bioshock - System Shock 1 and 2 were awesome. Bioshock runs us through an underwater utopia with boring cut-and-paste puzzles and shooty-shooty gunplay.
Crysis - Farcry was always better. Yes, BOTH Farcrys.
Final Fantasy - Fucking hell. Walking down endless corridors with unavoidable battles every couple of steps. Yes, sounds like my version of hell to me. Plus, Shining Force was better.
Elder Scrolls - The series has always sucked, that's all there is to it.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
malestrithe said:
Bioware. To me, the company is not advancing the medium in any meaningful way. They are hucksters that have been making one game ever since 1996. How many of them cast you, the person with a mysterious past, as the is the only one that can save or enslave the world? It does not matter where the game is located when you playing the exact same one over and over again.
How sad is it, when the most innovative thing Bioware has done in the last five years is DA2. Bare with me for a sec. The sarcastic (to the point of Bards Tale sometimes) protagonist, the character interactions, that it was genuinely funny... and that's it... the rest was the same standard issue blue and red morality we've been getting from them since KOTOR.

I'll still play it for a laugh, but nothing else from them since, maybe, Jade Empire (or failing that, Neverwinter Nights) has done anything original. And even those were only original in technical ways, not narrative. (Though JE was a novel setting for a western RPG).

Not trying to hijack your post, but while I'm on the subject, Bioware's definition of "moral" is sometimes disturbing as fuck... it's a moral/ethical/good/whatever decision to encourage someone to become a memory junkie? Seriously guys? What the hell? And lets not forget, standard military discipline is evil (apparently). And of course, threatening someone into backing down is always more evil than shooting them in the head and calling it a day.

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
I can understand the hype for Skyrim, I was one of the avid fanboys that praised it's goodness, still play it every two or three days.

But as for hype I don't understand...
I go with OP, Uncharted is a good game, fun storytelling, character's etc. But I finished the one and two in less than 10 hours respectively. The hype surrounding the 3rd was pretty crazy, but they just aren't that great. Short and sweet, as Yahtzee said 'Popcorn games'

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I have yet to come across hype I don't understand on some level. It usually has to do with viral marketing campaigns, though sometimes it's just something that's genuinely well made... but not to my taste.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
I would have to say Pacman.

I mean when you stop and really think about it... I'm kidding. love pacman.

Probably cooking mama, though that isn't fair of me to say, I've never played it.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Fallout 3. Jesus fucking Christ I was falling asleep through that game. The movement was clunky, the gameplay was stale, the VO was bad, the main story was un-interesting.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Call Of Duty (i havnt liked the ones after 4 so thas why for me)
Gears Of War 3 (i liked the first 2 but the third just looked the same, not bad but not needed)
Diblo 3 (i just dont like those sort of games)

Casey Bowen

Jun 26, 2011
I may be lynched for this but Half-life and everything related to it. I tried playing it. I just can't do it. I don't mean that I am incapable of playing it, just that I am unwilling to subject myself to it. I just find it boring, uninteresting, dull and wholly uninteresting.

The original Portal can't really be included in this for me since it wasn't hyped, it just showed up. Portal 2, however... what a letdown. Oh sure, there were some funny moments, but on the whole it was a series of short interesting bits separated by long, drawn out segments getting from one place to the next. It couldn't possibly have lived up to the post Portal hype.

Casey Bowen

Jun 26, 2011
Fallout 3.... I was falling asleep through that game. The movement was clunky, the gameplay was stale, the VO was bad, the main story was un-interesting.

Funny -- 'cause I loved FO3 for the most part. But I hated New Vegas.

'Tis interesting how people can react so differently to such a variety of games.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Halo 3 (I really like the whole series except for 3), Skyrim and Call Of Duty.

edit: also ad Skyward Sword.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Deux ex: HR

Literally no idea why people like it so much, I saw my brother playing it and I was thinking "Whats special about this?"

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Half-Life 2. No...seriously. There is a reason FPS games stopped having grenades and melee weapons as entirely separate weapons. The story seems to have a shit load missing. Alyx Vance is NOT interesting (Nor is she really that likeable). I have no idea where the fuck the game takes place, aside from somewhere in eastern Europe (Possibly one of the Soviet satellites). What the hell happened at the end of the first game, which somehow connected with the second, and why is the G-Man even still....anything?

Seriously....Half-Life 2 seems like the kind of game people SHOULD be spending large amounts of time in the Internet complaining about, instead for complaining about how ME3s ending was crap. It seemed the only thing the game had going for it was the physics system and graphics.