Games you hate that everybody else seems to love.

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
Communist partisan said:
HalfChance said:
Do you have a game that you just can't stand or just don't get? Yet it seems that every critic and man on the street has an accident in their trousers just talking about it

If so let us know what it is.

For me it's Portal, I could never really find anything I liked about it, Even the "humour" didn't really appeal to me.

Same, portal. Also HL2 and the episodes.

CoD

Halo
popular franchises out there

rodeolifant

Sep 1, 2009
Now that I think of it... quite a few.

I have disliked any first person shooter since Call of Duty 2. Shooters in my opinion have not evolved since then besides graphical performance.

I very much dislike Japanese anime styled games [and other media, for that matter] in art style, and avoid games with this as a whole.

I truly cannot stand any title that includes Mario in it's title since Mario World. Yes, this includes Kart. I had Wacky Wheels at that point anyway.

I dislike Racing games where they add realistic cars, but make sure you can't total it. So I tried GTA4, which I hoped was just that. It wasn't, and instead was about taking criminals bowling, and ignoring your phone. I hated that within the hour.

I dislike any non-platformer game, that inludes platforming in a certain level, or worse, two. Well, just those levels, but I can end up disliking the game for it.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
VikingSteve said:
linkblade91 said:
self-snip
FF8 was pretty bad. I'd say worse than 10. And I hated 10.
To each his own I guess. I actually like 10, as well as 6, 8, and 13. Haven't played 2-5 or 9, so maybe there's a hidden gem among those I am missing.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Kadoodle said:
ZamielTheHunter said:
Halo, I find them average at best, but they were treated as though they were the best games ever when they came out.
Cause they were. But ONLY when they came out.
Among the PC gaming crowd, Halo itself may count as well. Most shooters nowadays have regenerating health, let you carry only two weapons at once, use the weapon you're holding as a melee weapon instead of a separate weapon that you have to switch to, allow you to throw grenades without making you switch to them first, have enemies drop their weapons and equipment when they die instead of just having weapons pre-placed on the stage, etc. And all of these elements were around before Halo, but never all in the same game. Halo was all that in one game, and on a console. It was also the first console game to include networked multiplayer, which soon gave birth to online multiplayer.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

It's the problem of hindsight, or "Goldeneye syndrome"

and kadoodle's bang on the money

Narclaw

Birchmen Supreme Overlord
Aug 29, 2010
Every guitar hero and rock band game! It was a novelty that wore off very quickly for me.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
Twilight Princess. I borrowed it off of a friend played it and gave it straight back. He was shocked I didn't like it but I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't a tecnically bad game though, the graphics were alright.

HowardHoward

Dec 20, 2010
Call of duty games: absolutely destroying the fps in my opinion (by making all other fps's into a clone of it and therefore the reason i still havent brought an XBox 360) and also completely messing with the games release calendar as the second that they announce a new one every single other developer puts there release back by a few weeks. Listen if im in the mood to by a game it really doesnt bother me that the new COD is out im going to buy what appeals to me.

Oh and WOW for almost the exact same reason

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
DefinitelyPsychotic said:
Djinn8 said:
Red Dead Redemption: lets play a series of mini games over and over where the mini games in question require you to do nothing more than press A to win. Yay!
Umm I'm pretty sure you don't shoot with "A". Anyways, most of the minigames are avoidable unless you are going after outfits.

OT: Definitely all of the Halo games. Didn't impress me at all. Just another sci-fi shooter...
well, the story gets pretty repetitive in what happens. and once you get the first rifle, you have basically unlocked every gun in the game. everything else is just a spinoff on the first guns, 'cept maybe the last pistol you get. not to say i didn't like it, i just got to mexico, got bored, let my bro play it, and when he beat it i felt i didn't need to play it anymore since nothing really that new happened.

and halo was the first sci-fi shooter, and the other games in the series (save halo wars) added a couple new things, but were more or less ripoffs of the original, which was what most people think as the best. (also enjoy all the halo games, but they just aren't THAT different when ya get down to it)

do not get why black ops gets so much praise. don't get me wrong, i enjoyed modern warfare, but the story in black ops, it was just... calmer. the sound editing made everything seem almost empty except for when you shot at someone (or maybe mine was just glitched), and the multiplayer is essentially the same, but with older, crappier, guns and a couple new toys.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
ExiusXavarus said:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare/Modern Warfare 2/Black Ops

They all suck.

Yes, I just said that.

Finally someone else who agrees that these games are overhyped shit!
I don't care that I was ninja'd about this,I'm just glad someone else thinks it.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Every time one of these threads pop up, I feel inclined to just come in and say HALO and then leave again. There can never be enough Halo hate in the world, because their is certainly enough Halo love, and someone has to balance it out.

Mar 28, 2011
Halo. By rights it should be a VERY, VERY, VERY small fish in a large and well populated pond; of a genre.

Metal gear solid.

Pretty much any console exclusive. That relies on the people owning said platform, justifying there purchase..... they chose the console so it's the right one.... they couldn't possibly have chosen the wrong one... and there HAS to be a wrong one. /end rant. That relies on, said, people accelerating games of this ilk to legendary status, undeservedly. When compared fairly. Across the board.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Halo and COD, yeah I've played the three popular COD games and I hated playing every single one of them. The only reason I even bothered to complete them was just so I don't have an unfinished game sitting on my shelf.

I have nothing to say against Halo that hasn't already been said, it knows why I hate it.

HijiriOni

Jan 26, 2010
Halo, I felt it was a boring rehash of every FPS game I played before, watered down and put into easy mode for consoles.

Ian Nelson

Mar 31, 2011
I agree with you completely. The Call of Duty series is just an easy dollar and they know that. They spoon feed you experience points to keep you interested, while you do the same thing every game. It's very distasteful and mind numbing after a certain point.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
Minecraft. I cannot think of any others right now due to how often I hear people jizzing about Minecraft. I guess I just don't get why it's popular - it is even more annoying when people claim you're not creative just because you don't fancy making stuff out of blocks. So basically, people who cannot accept that you dislike or don't care about it.