Games you have given up on and why?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Oblivion

got into the great Oblivion gate then the game crashed......then the next day, I think thats when I got Fallout 3

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Rogue Galaxy. Over 10 bosses in a row without saves until the final boss, he can one hit you no matter what level you are. I died several times repeating all those bosses and just kept losing. Fuck that shit.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
There are several:

Red Faction Guerrilla
Kingdom Under Fire
Rise of the Argonauts
Chronicles of Riddick
Prince of Persia: Sands of time
Operation Flashpoint

Note that none of these were the result of difficulty. They were all because I felt that the games were either poorly designed (Red Faction, Flashpoint, Argonauts, possible Riddick) or just bored me to death.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
DMC4 I just got to that part where you fight that giant-god-whatever guy and after dying maybe twice I just thought to myself I'm not even having fun why do I keep playing this? So I just closed the game and never got back to it.

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009
Furburt said:
GTA4.

It just bored the shite out of me. They reduced the crazy in almost every way. GTA always had pretensions to being a serious crime drama, but you could tell that always came in secondary to the pure cathartic mayhem on hand. Not in GTA4. Sure, technologically, it was great (except for how terribly it ran on even the best PC), but it lacked soul. It just wasn't fun.

Saints Row 2, however. Now that's fun.
I agree with that, though to be perfectly honest when If irst got Saints Row 2 I thought it would be some stupid GTA clone, but I was very happy with it and find it very entertaining. Nothing beats running around with purple dreadlocks while having the voice of that guy from The Nanny. Hours of fun.

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009
mexicola said:
DMC4 I just got to that part where you fight that giant-god-whatever guy and after dying maybe twice I just thought to myself I'm not even having fun why do I keep playing this? So I just closed the game and never got back to it.
Do you mean that giant statue boss? That you have to run up his arm or some crap? Cause I know how you feel about it if im thinking right.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Fable 2 I got my sword and was kinda bored, so I decided to try out Fallout 3. I never touched Fable 2 again.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I tend to give up on games that royally fuck me in the ass after I have spent so much time on them. The first is FarCry 2, which got a monsterous glitch that destroyed about 20 hours of gameplay. In I have no Mouth, and I must Scream it is the same story: I progressed so far, and then stumbled on a game breaking problem which forces me to have to start the game from scratch. The most recent was the Steam version of Deus Ex, where your brother mysteriously disappears from his hotel room for no reason, makingit impossible to progress in the game.

NoblePhilistineFox

Apr 8, 2010
ff7,
not because It pissed me off though.
I wanted to get the mega-materia without the old man and while trying to expfarm for the last few I got bored and walked away, I dont think I can play it again because I wouldnt want to go on without the mega materia.
also, ff9,
REALLY, hate that game, it is NOT a final fantasy.
final fantasy stopped at 8 for me.
and galarians ash, as cool a concept the story was I am NOT willing to struggle with the gaming flaws just so I can see guys make-out.
against popular belief I dont swing that way.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
FFXIII also. but more so... dragon age. i just can;t be arsed with it anymore!

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009
suhlEap said:
FFXIII also. but more so... dragon age. i just can;t be arsed with it anymore!
What got to you in that? What pissed me off was Leiliana not wanting to be bed(Couldnt get her companion quest for the life of me) also the whole not being able to leave camp after you beat it unless you have DLC.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
I haven't actually had too many games that I've bought this generation that I haven't finished. Red Faction Guerrilla could kind of be one, except that I only 'bought' it because it was only $5 after buying Darksiders (Which was awesome).

Whoever designed that game needs to have somebody sit down and explain to them that if you make a game engine and world centered around being able to destroying things, then maybe you should take advantage of that and make it the basis for your gameplay instead of constantly running him off with endless waves of troops.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Oblivion, for all the reasons previously mentioned. Primarily this one

Radeonx said:
Oblivion.
I just found it inferior to Morrowind in almost every way, and couldn't get past half way through the game.
Final Fantasy 12. I'd like to say that I stopped caring about the characters and story, but truth be told I never cared about them in the first place.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Oblivion, there's a known glitch (I didn't know about it before of course) that when you kill certain monsters (Will-o-The-Wisps) a body you need to find for a quest is removed from the game. So that sucked, that was like 47 hours into the game, I didn't have the heart to restart until a few years later.

Ninja Gaiden, just so nail bitingly annoyingly hard.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Furburt said:
GTA4.

It just bored the shite out of me. They reduced the crazy in almost every way. GTA always had pretensions to being a serious crime drama, but you could tell that always came in secondary to the pure cathartic mayhem on hand. Not in GTA4. Sure, technologically, it was great (except for how terribly it ran on even the best PC), but it lacked soul. It just wasn't fun.

Saints Row 2, however. Now that's fun.
Too bad that ran even shitier on PC. God this thing can run Cysis on max settings and always stay beyon 60fps. Saints Row 2 I couldn't even get above 30. That's why I gave up on it. What a waste of fifty bucks.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
The only 2 recent games to have given me that effect are...

FFXII: I was just bored and not at all interested by the ff world nor pulled in by the story. Played it for around 10 hours, and realized I was barely following what was happening so stopped and sighed at the first final fantasy to really disappoint me (up until then I had always found something positive to focus on and enjoyed the games enough to finish them).

Bioshock: I dont get the praise for this. It was one of the most tedious games I bought in that period, and I had more fun playing JERICHO (dont understand how that game got so panned while bioshock got so much praise). The world was interesting, but just merely setting a game in an interesting location isnt good enough for me, I was bored out of my mind and my uber wrench was a better weapon then my upgraded guns. That the enemies dont look that much different despite being increasingly tougher annoyed me, it didnt really make the game more challenging (pah! ok, maybe bioshock wasnt made with that in mind seeing the respawn system) or exciting.
I stopped at the part where you had to disguise yourself as a big daddy, I was so incredibly bored by that point and dropped the game.

Oh I do have 1 good memory of the game though: at 1 point you see a slicer couple dancing together amidst the chaos around them. I found it incredibly touching and did my best to leave them alone and even killed a few roaming big daddies so the happy couple could continue dancing in peace ^^

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
I have this curious feeling I made a thread JUST BLOODY LIKE THIS a few days ago...*ahem*. Not that it matters. Except that I'm pretty sure you've gotten more responses than me, you cad.

OT: A couple. Torchlight got less and less fun the deeper into the dungeon I got...ironically, I gave up right around the time I had leveled enough to use halfway-decent uniques. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories pissed me off the further I got into it...the storyline was hair-pullingly convoluted for anyone who hadn't played the first game (gasp! How could I possibly want a game that I could just pick up and play, especially on a bloody portable gaming system?), and the monotonous grind to find the right combination of cards to unlock those doors was needlessly tedious. Also, seconding whoever said Condemned 2.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins. It just bored me too much for me to want to bother seeing the ending of that game.