Games you just...stopped playing

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Pretty much every game. I rarely finish games. It would be easier for me to count off the ones I've finished than the ones I stopped playing.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Both Metroid Primes I got to the final boss then just stopped playing.

The Witcher because combat, controls, and UI sucked so hard.

Fallout: New Vegas because I had a Ceaser's Legion hit squad on me that was 10x my level and I got bored of dodging them.

Final Fantasy V (III): I just got sick of the random battles about 1/3 of the way through, never did go back.

And countless 2nd or 3rd playthroughs that I just stopped and moved on from.

Sep 9, 2007
DrunkOnEstus said:
Valkyria Chronicles. I love it. I love the characters, the Japanese voice acting (and that it was an option), and the tactical combat. It's just that my brain sucks or isn't geared for that kind of thing, and I just blank out once I get to the desert. It's just too much to take in for me. Couldn't get far at all in XCOM for that reason, but I actually loved VC.
Generally, you want to be picking off targets that are not crouching behind cover first, either from behind with a scout or from a distance with a sniper. If an enemy is behind cover, you can flush them out with an explosive (a grenade, a shot from a lancer or a tank, or a mortar shell from the tank). You also want to make sure that your units end their turn crouched in cover and facing the enemy. If they are, they don't take additional damage from headshots (by crouching) and have a chance to dodge an attack (by seeing the enemy attack). Also, even if you don't plan to use them, make sure to bring along all of your leader units (Alicia, Rosie and Largo) as they give you an extra move per turn each.

If you want help on a specific map, drop me a PM.

OT: Quite a few, tbh. Diablo 2 I got up to mid/late chapter 3, lost interest and never touched again. Oblivion I've tried to get through a few times, but the last time I tried I got a crash to desktop and never touched it again, even though I was making good progress. Then there are a number of games that I've stopped playing for a year or so, only to pick them up again and think "Why did I stop playing this? This is awesome!" For example, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Supreme Commander and Dawn of War 1.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Code Veronica X, after the first encounter firing endless bullets at an incredible slow pace on 1 target and still getting bitten... nah, several more hours of extremely poor combat? I'm good.

Smashingpass

Jan 10, 2013
L.A Noire - Was really enjoying, up until the Homicide missions ended.
When the killer was revealed to be: A bartender we met once, with nothing remarkable about him, with no real connection to the victims, with no ulterior motive. It just felt so lacklustre. Still, least we felt we'd done a good job, right? See the repercussions of the wrong arrests? Have a parade in our honour? No, guy was a politicians brother!

Skyrim - I was a big fan of Oblivion and Morrowind, and was really disappointed with Skyrim. I found it drab, boring, and dull. No really interesting Quests (other than Night to Remember), quite a departure from the fun Quests of the previous series, in particular, the Dark Brotherhood Quests.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Tom_green_day said:
Oblivion.
Yeah, same here. I played it intensely for 2 days, then realised every forest, town, or alternative world was identical the last, so I quit. I'd seen everything the game had to offer.

Most recently, Sonic Transformed (PS Vita). The weapons, like in any Kart Racer, are unbalanced, the AI is unfair/ unbalanced, and as soon as I found a hacker playing online, I just turned the game off and didn't play it again.

Just about any JRPG in in the last 7 or so years. They all have terrible storylines.

V1rax

Dec 10, 2008
Red Dead Redemption

Could not stand the game.

In my own defense I hate GTA and Rockstar so I really shouldn't of bothered but I jumped on the bandwagon, was the last time actually.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Dark Souls - At a point I said to my self "I had enough of this bs".
The Witcher 2 - I had get to a new area,which was way large,and my character was moving so slow,and the navigation system wasn't so good to tell me exactly where to go,so after wandering around aimlessly and making circles I got bored and stopped playing it. I wanted to come back to it some time,but then I had to format my drive all of a sudden and lost my saves. Well it's a huge game to go through the whole of it again.
Crysis 2 - Not only its more linear than Crysis 1,but I also got bored of the thing that almost all of the story is passed to the player by people talking to his suit. In this game characters you never meet just break in to the frequency of the radio of your suit,and give you orders and you do what they say,without ever meeting them up. That doesn't make sense. Why would Alcatraz do everything or anything a random mofo that connected to his frequency tells him to do ? Its gameplay alone couldn't keep my interest into playing it,and the only thing that could keep me playing this game was its story. But unfortunately with story presentation having changed so much from the original Crysis in which you would get 2~5 cutscenes featuring actual people in every level,in Crysis 2 you play have to play like 4~5 hours until you meet the first person.
Far Cry 3 - I was very excited with this game in the beggining and I enjoyed it much. But while it has many good ideas, it also has some very bad decisions that break the experience. The worst fault of the developers is that they designed an open world game with NPCs that give you sidequests,without implementing a journal mechanic of some sorts,to give you the option to do or not to do a side quest,or postpone it. So while I was very interested with my next Main Quest mission, I found a random dude that wanted to talk to me in the jungle,and I pressed the action button,and BAM I'm now forced to complete his side quest. If I try to go for the main quest I get a "mission failure" screen and game over. I can't abort the side-quest his given me.And I'm completely uninterested in doing this long side quest for him. That got me furious,because it was very anti-climatic. And that side mission happens to be so generic and boring that I have to be too bored to force myself to complete it,and if I ever do it,be sure that I'll try to avoid side missions as much as I can. How could they decide to make an open world game with side quests and stuff without adding a journal/quest system to allow you to choose which quests to do and when to do them ? I mean even archaic games that did open world and had side quests,like some Zeldas from the SNES era,had this provision.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Crysis 2 & Doom 3 BFG edition. Both because I almost always wanted to play something else and I reecently bought or got a another game around that time.

Edit: I almost forgot, Dark Souls and DA:O becaue I really didn't know what I was doing and I wads aimlessly drifting along with the story.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Here's an interesting one.

GTA San Andreas.

Was on a nostalgia trip one day, bought it again and then realised that about the only thing I really liked about it was the choice of radio songs.

This coming from someone who enjoyed (and still enjoys) GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire (like, a whole lot), Dishonored, Far Cry 2, Bioshock 2, Resident Evil 5, Brutal Legend, Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed (up to II), the new XCOM, Civilization V (just throwing out some contentious titles here to show how wonderfully tastes can differ).

HeavenSmile

Apr 7, 2011
Rage - I enjoyed it when I played co-op with my brother; however, I got at least three missions away from the finale and never came back to it. Just don't have to motivation to play it.

The Witcher 2 - Jesus, I liked the game, with some gameplay choices aside, but it never engulfed my attention enough to have a long session with it.

Final Fantasy XIII - Just boring. I accept that JRPGs will make you press 'A' for the first 45-60 minutes of the game; however, I didn't want to press 'A' anymore.

Crysis 2 - A friend recommended I give the shot a chance. So I did, only to pass out to lack of innovation and bland shooting.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Crysis 1 or was it crysis 2 - After the intro level I thought I really just don't care. I found it to be the simplest of stealth games with a standard FPS when you get found out

Uncharted 3 - Got to the final level and after forcing myself to play through the worst paced game ever I had to deal with hallucination bad guys. No thankyou . I loved U2 but U3 was one contrived set piece after the next..I never knew how important a well paced story is to an experience until U2-U3.

Pokemon Black/black2 - I love all the other pokemon games but this generation was so lame. The selection of pokemon to find and use were disappointing. They either looked crap and/or had pathetic stats. I just gave up on black 2 after 6 gym badges...was flying through the badges with hardly a story or anything else driving me to do so in the game. All the good pokemon I wanted to get you can only get after the league, with only a handful of good ones 6 badges in.

Dragon age origins: I enjoyed kotor and loved mass effect 1. Started DA:O and I was surprised it still had that D&D point based combat and all dialogue was monotone. Lasted 2 hours

Every Assassins creed - My brother buys them..I play them for an hour until I decide I can't put up with the accents, the simplest of stealth mechanics, over powered reversal moves, and press this button to free run.

Hitman absolution: I'm a classic blood money fan..i won't go on.

Alpha protocol- what an amazing story and dialogue system this game had. How terribly it was implemented into gameplay with awful levels. I wanted to experience the story but the dreadful game play stopped me

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Well...
Dark Cloud 2, because despite the praise in the reviews i read, i just couldn't get past the stupid characters and inane gameplay.

FFXII, because when i got past one of those sewer levels after the one at the beggining i realized the combat system was not my thing, and the plot wasn't going to anywhere interesting, and regardless, i wasn't ready to put up with the Licence system.

World Of Warcraft, because it's simply shit.

Suikoden 3(?) (I can't remember if it was the third) Because again, despite the really nice praise given to it by reviews, the game was really dry and the characters...Just ugh.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Beyond Good and Evil: I got to this one really hard stealth section and never got past it. It was a rental, so I'll probably pick it up cheap at some point in the future and finish it.

FFXIII: I actually really liked the world and characters (except that kid, naturally), but I hit a grind wall when the game put me out on the big grassy plains. I hate grind walls, especially with combat that tedious and boring. It's the only FF game I've actually gotten rid of.

Oblivion: I liked it a lot, especially some of the sidequests. Out of curiosity one day I went to the shimmering isles just to see what it was and wound up doing the entire thing. When I found myself back in the normal game world I just didn't have the interest to keep going. Seriously, how am I as a player supposed to care about a dead king when I'm a mad god with my own colorful realm complete with sexy armies?

Dead Space 1: Simple, really: I got tired of playing whack-a-mole at every vent shaft I came across.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Well, this is the list of games I stopped, and just never really felt like going back to for no particular reason, or for small and not terribly difficult to fix reasons.

World of Warcraft (well, I was just kind of "done" with that one after I finished Vash'jir (or something like that, I don't really remember))

Dishonored (just never really feel like playing it, but I loved it when I did)

Skyrim (same as above, though I think I can attribute my lack of mood to play it with the absolutely overwhelming amount of quests to do, and nothing making me do any of them. Funny how for a lot of people, too much choice is a bad thing, yet americans prize freedom)

Killing Floor (but that game has no quest, its just an online game. i'll get back into it eventually, because it's still fun as hell)

Magicka (still not 100% sure why I stopped this, but I just did not terribly far into it)

Borderlands 1 and 2. It was tons of fun, especially when playing with someone, but when everyone i know who has it gets stupid further than I in much less time due to their love of the game, suddenly there is nobody to play with. Still a good game, I just never feel like playing it.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas (never played 1 or 2). I love 'em both to death, but New Vegas dragged on a bit, and after I accidentally fucked up and forced myself into the Wild Card Quest line
complete control of the New Vegas system through yes-man and my massive robot army and allies at my beck-and-call to help either the NCR (my preferred faction) or Caesar's legion?

And as for Fallout 3, other games just get in the way I guess. Technically I beat it, but I own the Broken Steel DLC, and have yet to do that. Beat every other one for Fallout 3 though. Perhaps I should get around to buying and playing the New Vegas stuff some day.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
V1rax said:
Red Dead Redemption

Could not stand the game.

In my own defense I hate GTA and Rockstar so I really shouldn't of bothered but I jumped on the bandwagon, was the last time actually.
See, I didn't hate the game, but by the time I got to mexico, and realized that I wasn't even half-way done, I just put up the controller. I respect games for having long storylines to keep fans interested for a long time, and really get their money's worth and then some, but the game just didn't interest me.

Since then, never played any of the Rockstar games.

Oh, and also part of the reason I stopped playing was because my brothers were much more infatuated with the game, and so both beat it before I did, and I was watching out of interest (Red Dead is more fun to Watch than to Play in my experience).

Kinda like what happened with literally every single Assassin's Creed game. They are good and fun, if not particularly different for all the ones starring Ezio, but knowing how it all ends for each one kinda kills it for me. The dicking around potential isn't enough to keep me going, because I have saint's row for that (beat saints row 3 three times so far. too bad it's a bit short, but fucking hell is that game one of the must plain old fun in years)