Games you just...stopped playing

Pulse

Nov 16, 2012
What games have you, for whatever reason just stopped playing. Not a series, but an individual game. Maybe another, newer shinier game distracted you, you had a break and couldn't get back into it, or just petered out?

There are two games where this has happened to me.

Dead space 1.
This was before the 2nd one came out. It had excellent atmosphere, and the jump scares did set me on edge, but having to backtrack through areas, knowing to look at vents just became somewhat tedious I guess. I reached the point where there was a minigame, firing balls in anti gravity at a giant dartboard...and never moved on. Had a break from the game and it just seemed like too much....trudging........to continue.

Never finished it.

Rage
Excellent enemy and character animations, but I never connected/emphasized with the protagonist, MR Blandy Mc Nochoice. There was just no motivation as to why I was helping who I was helping, there was no real choice even the game seemed to be trying to convince me there was, and the driving was terrible and a real experience killer, especially the forced races.

Never finished that one either.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Borderlands.... loved the setting, the weapons and classes, but it grow old pretty quick.

Also, Kingdoms of Amalur is a game that I started, played it right to the last act, but the last slog through enemies and uninspiring quests wore me out. And that's a shame, since I don't think I have my save anymore.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, I still haven't managed to get all the way through The Witcher 2. I'm not even halfway through the game. I like it, and I think it's a great game, but I just can't seem to find myself in the mood for how slowly paced it is.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is another one. After the Metal Gear HD Collection came out it started falling into my backlog, and now I just haven't returned to it yet because I keep getting other games to play.

I've got a bunch of games on that list, to be honest. My backlog is enormous.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I like Skyrim but I pretty much dink around for a dozen hours or so then ignore it for a couple months. I never made it much further than 5 or 6 milestones into the main quest line.

Most MMOs I play the hell out of them, then I realize I'm spending my life playing Warhammer or SWTOR and then drop them pretty quickly.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Oblivion. Oh the faces.
GTA4. The controls were just too painful
FC2... Just had enough of that universe.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Thief: Deadly Shadows. I loved the first two Thief games and have tried several times to play through this game, latest attempt was actually last week. But the every time I try, I have to contend with the bugs the game engine has running on modern specs make the game really frustrating and all the fixes I tried seem to fix one thing but break another. I've just given up on ever getting beyond the first mission in the game.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters

Got to the final boss and everything. I used all my ammo/money on my first attempt, got close to beating it but still lost, then it auto-saved -.- I would have had to re-do a few levels just to collect enough bolts to finance another attempt. Then Skyrim arrived in the post... It wasn't that good anyway.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
SH: Downpour . Game just bored me to death .

Resonance of fate : i'm so bad at the game i gave up .

Metroid other :M . The writting , was terrible .

Records of Agrest war : Zero . That game is so damn hard .

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
Dishonored: The voice acting, OH, THE VOICE ACTING

Final Fantasy X: "Seriously we're not going to send that blue heard guy AGAIN?"

GTA 4: "HELLO CUZIN!!! BOWLING NOW YES???"

And several others, Honestly the above games aren't bad, but they had their respective problems that i felt were big enough to cause me to completely lose interest.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Dark Souls. As soon as I reached Anor Londo I just gave up. The gameplay was fun, the challenges and boss fights fantastic but the lack of any basic motivation just killed it for me.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Most games I've tried as of late.

-Path of Exile was great, but I did not want to get stuck doing the same shit over and over; being trapped in the "grind loop" typical of those games sorts of games. Still, gameplay-wise, PoE "gets it", far better than Diablo 3 did.

-MechWarrior Online: Gameplay balance? Team balance? Pah!
Such concepts are silly and meaningless! Enjoy fighting against ECM premades/Lances, asshole!
Sigh...mech games just don't shake out anymore do they? (I'm trying Hawken next.)

-DOTA2: Got incredibly frustrated with "LOL" random deaths. Discovered my mouse was defective, and replaced it.
Still, I'm not really that motivated to resume play just yet.

-Endless Space: It's Master of Orion 2, but without any of the charm. Besides, I have Sword of the Stars 1 if I really want to play that.

-X-COM: Alien Unknown. Got close to the end of the game and I just kind of gave up. It was really really frustrating to watch my team get boned by merciless bad luck streaks over and over again (or consequently, for me to steamroll entire missions on good luck streaks...it was REALLY swingy like that).

I didn't feel like I was really in command, so much as I was a babysitter. Too much of that game is reactive, whereas in something like X-COM Apocalypse, you could take a proactive role to secure funds/equipment if you stayed ahead of the alien alerts.

AVeryClassyCat

Feb 24, 2013
Why I quit playing a game usually falls into two categories: 1. Because it becomes boring, or 2. Because I'm a huge baby.

Got Boring:
Borderlands
Guild Wars 2 (Excellent title, I'm just not an endgame person.)
Dead Space 2
L4D

Huge Baby:
Amnesia (My save file is still me on a box in the basement/water thing, NOPE).
Dead Space 1 (Chapter 6)

I should work on my scaredy-cat nature, but I don't know how to go about that. The rest of the games I own that I've stopped playing mid way through don't count here because I genuinely will get to them at some point, I just need to get back that completionist spirit I used to have as a kid and power on through them.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
AVeryClassyCat said:
Amnesia (My save file is still me on a box in the basement/water thing, NOPE).
I stopped there for the longest time, and then finished it. My answer was gonna be Justine since I didn't play it for about a month after the last suitor killed me. Scariest damn thing I've ever ran into.

OT: The God of War Collection.

It might be that I've played the originals so many times that when I finally got to the collection I stopped about half way through both of them. I like the games and the combat is super fun, but I can't find the time nor the mood to play them again.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
GTAIV. It's actually now my least favourite game of all time. I only got two hours into it, and I gave up because the controls were terrible, the game world was bland and awful, and I wanted nothing more than to punch every character in the face. I still have it, it's just uninstalled. Maybe one day I'll try it out again, but I don't see that happening for a long time.

I always finish my games otherwise. Games are so expensive here that you really need to put effort into them to make the purchase worth it. Otherwise all I feel is crushing guilt.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Crysis 2. When I feel asleep whilst playing the game (note: This was the middle of the day, so I wasn't remotely tired before this experience), I figured that it wasn't worth going through.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
so you mean to say games that i was enjoying yet still stopped playing ?
ok first up is Final Fantasy XII. i was kinda enjoying the game with its huge open world but i stopped playing the moment i realised i have to grind a lot to progress anymore into the story.
i love a good story in games but once i realize the difficulty of the game is starting to hamper my enjoyment of playing the game i just stop playing.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Mordekaien said:
Borderlands.... loved the setting, the weapons and classes, but it grow old pretty quick.

Also, Kingdoms of Amalur is a game that I started, played it right to the last act, but the last slog through enemies and uninspiring quests wore me out. And that's a shame, since I don't think I have my save anymore.
i felt the same about amalur
great game but it just felt about 5 hours too long