Games you liked but quit playing due to an (arguably) stupid problem.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Oh God to many games to mention, bad writing really turns me off and off putting character designs are the biggest culprit.

Assassins Creed 2 when you had to do that mandatory look at the macguffins to progress the story and reach the ending. I got really really put off and just watched the ending on youtube.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 after hearing some of the shit they spew during cut scenes, I cant invest in a story when professional soldiers talk about dreams while waiting to spring an ambush. Also the character designs really annoy me, Zach looks like a girl and his voice doesn't match his face or character.

Jak & Daxter The Lost Frontier pretty much turned me off for the same reasons for Crisis Core, except all of the script is needless exposition for everything. "Jak we need to find a new Eco source so I can become a Sage AND SAVE THE WORLD". All of the cutscenes are like this and it just really annoyed me.

Skyrim after trying all different play styles, Magic is R1 to win and chug Mana Potions, Melee Weapons made me motion sick with the floaty swings and archery is really boring.

Also I stopped playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood when I realised it was Assassins Creed 2 with little extra bits.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
HL2 Episode 1: I got stuck in the level right after a checkpoint. I couldn't physically get past that point, so fuck it.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I was staying overnight at my cousin's house and couldn't sleep, so I put in his copy of GTA IV to give it a try. I quit playing because I thought the intro sequence was boring and I couldn't skip it. Haven't picked it up again, due also to other problems I heard about in the game a.k.a. stupid cousin guy missions.

EDIT: I just realized my response probably doesn't count since I really didn't play the game.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
spartandude said:
Grand Theft Auto 4 and Red Dead Redemption. the fucking movement
OH MY GOD YES! I know what you fucking mean! When I got Red Dead Part of me was thinking: Is this game broken? are they going to patch this? But nobody else seemed to care about it or think it was a problem! (Although GTA IV was fine for me, I didn't think it was as much of a problem as i RDR)

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The controls are just awful. The lag in the controls is awful. How the hell can the camera lag 2 seconds behind my mouse? And it's not my hardware's fault. I play Skyrim on 1680x1050 on max details without lag. DE can't require more on the lowest settings.

Also, Monster Hunter Tri. That damn camera... Y U NO WORK?!?! It was "playable" until you get tot he Barioth. But then... he jumps to much and you can't move your camera as fast as he is. You never know where he is.
But some months later (few days ago), I remembered I had the classic controller. The controls are so much better... I beaten that damn Barioth on at the second try. First time I lost because I wasn't used to the controller. I always pressed the button to use items instead of attacking. Now imagine what happens when you start sharpening your blade in front of that insane jumping bastard.

And Just Cause 2.
I loved the game until I had to fly an air plain. Then I stopped playing it. Worst controls EVER.
But everything else about the game, I fucking loved it. Especially the grappling hook/parachute travelling. Fuck the game, just fly around. ^^

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I almost quit playing Dead Island when (after dying on one mission about 9 times) I realized that, while you can play single player, the game doesn't feel like it was ever balanced FOR it. Enemy balance and numbers are the same as in multiplayer (according to a friend who's played in multiplayer) and that just feels lazy.

I still intend to finish it but it's on the back burner for now.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Bioshock.

Oh you're almost there, the climax of the game within your grasp and then you get slapped across the face and are sent on a fetch quest with backtracking.... No.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Zeel said:
Planescape torment. I finally ran into that witch person and all mystique just evaporated. I am still interested about finishing in finishing it, I just need to find the motivation.
I need to keep playing that as well but I think I might have already gone too far. I remember people telling me to go to a specific npc to become a mage but I have no idea where they were and now my character is stuck in some catacombs after meeting Pharod and I can't move around his town since my character is too weak to fight anything. Really screwed that up but on a small silver lining I haven't gotten that far at all and I remember all of my steps. Well good luck to you finding motivation.

wintercoat said:
OT: The Witcher. The animations were just god awful during conversations. It annoyed the hell out of me.
Oh dear god those animations. I know exactly what you mean as someone trying to play through The Witcher myself right now. I'm having fun but holy crap that's bad. Though I would blame the dated engine more since that still has a lot of problems. Still it doesn't excuse the problem.

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
Morrowind, and for a pretty petty reason I must admit... I couldn't stomach the graphics or the animations or the atrocious combat. Stupid? Yes. Immature? Definitely. Will I be giving it another shot? Probably not, or at least not anytime soon.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Deus Ex Human Revolution. Had a great time with the game until about the 3rd boss battle (the chick) and couldn't finish due to having no combat specs.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Here's a petty reason. I completely stopped playing Skyrim altogether when I tried to attempt a Thieves Guild pickpocketing quest and the Jarl of that town glitched out and wouldn't leave an area I had to trespass into.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Not sure if this counts, but: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. I wanted to like the game, but the boss fights were kind of bullshit, and the levels were "meh" at best. Here's how it went... This will probably have inaccuracies since it's been years since I played the game.

Started the game on normal/medium difficulty. Beat the first boss. A joke one button QTE, chuckle and continue. First real boss, not too bad but it gave me a little trouble.

Sniper section, meh, corridors, meh. Getting shot at by and insta-kill sniper rifle, and Matt runs too slow to get from cover to cover quick enough. Rage.

Zombie section, fine. Fem-Bots = rage. More meh...

Giant Kraken. This fight was bugged when I got here. Every time I knocked a tentacle down, it spawned 6 space marines, instead of one or two. Figured it was a difficulty deal. Restarted the game on easy. Got back here, space marines spawned correctly. Beat the boss, more bland levels.

Final Fantasy joke = chuckle, and more rage. He spawned about 10 minions in between every attack. Rage and killed him and started the final level(s).

Got to the final boss, and tried about 10 times. Seemed like the difficulty got cranked up to hard. Fem-Bots would kill me as soon as the spawned, and if I wasn't in cover before they spawned I was dead in two-three machine gun bullets (not bursts). And it wasn't the actual bosses "De-Rez" gun, it was the Fem-Bots. After about a dozen tries I gave up.

The only other game I have that I never beat was Vanquish. It has everything I love in a game, but something about it just felt off. I don't even know why I don't like it.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Mech Warrior 4
the final mission got up to the point you fight William

i wasn't able to do it because my mec always wanted to turn right.
If it tried turning left it eater stood still or walked in a strait line.

So yea fighting a daishi while your mech is spinning around is no fun

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
I hate the people that play Call of Duty (any of them), so i've stopped playing my Modern Warfare Trilogy and sold Black Ops...

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Midgeamoo said:
League of Legends due to it's community. God I just couldn't bear it anymore. I loved the game, I loved the champions, I loved everything about it but people can't just keep their fucking rage in when in front of a keyboard, every time you try to play a ranked game people are just yelling at each other all game, and as a consequence, play worse. It's just sad.
That's not petty. The community of League of Legends is really awful.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
I'm not fond of horror at all. I hate those noises and basically anything you can think of associated with horror. Despite this, I have managed to trek through Resistance 2 and 3's tunnel and haunted mining town levels respectively.

One game that stopped me because of horror elements is Half-Life 2. I was progressing alright with the sound off and Guile's Theme playing in the background. Then I came across my first poison zombie.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
orangeban said:
Deus Ex Human Revolution, I loved that game, but I was playing a non-kill character on the hardest difficulty and I have spent like half an hour trying to take down the third boss (naked muscle man guy), desperately scavenging for weapons, plugging him with the stupid tranq rifle which I hate. He. Just. Won't. Die.
To be fair, that's pretty much your own fault. I played the stealth route as well, but I always kept an explosive revolver with me just in case. With the ridiculous amount of inventory space and ammo you get in that game, there's no excuse.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I've quit playing games that wouldn't let me adjust control settings before. That could just be the arrogant PC gamer in me though.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Mass Effect. After wandering the level for 30 minutes, looking for where to go and what to do, I realized that the steam puzzle had been infront of me the whole time. I did it, and for some reason it did not work - I played with it for another 5 minutes, before I realized that I pulled the lever the wrong way.

No. You do not make me do fucking Mako sections,have hour long conversations with imbeciles and work with an inventory system that came from the depths of hell only to slap a shitty fucking puzzle in my face.

Turned off the game, went and spoiled the story for myself, and probably wont play it ever again. Still have not tried ME2 though.