Games you never found another player of (or even heard of)

Euskalduna

Oct 15, 2011
A little back story...

Once upon a time, a child bought one of his first bundle of games, including the excellent Star Wars: Battlefront 2, which he loved to the day he accidentally cracked his disc (literally), and even then he held fond memories of it, but then, amongst those memories, he remembered that he had also bought a game that he never managed to find a single companion or foe, a game that he also enjoyed, but could no longer play because of Windows 7, and he also remembered that no one had even HEARD of it! So he decided to just play by him self and some AI, that game, was "War on Terror", a real-time strategy game based on a fictionalised version of the very real, well, War on Terror, but I digress. I have never found a soul that ever knew the existence of the game, so I wonder, has any one here ever had a game that nobody ever paused to question something similar in existence?

Captcha: industrial revolution, for without it, we wouldn't even have the cheap, mass-produced t-shirt he is wearing now.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have to go with Trap Gunner for the PSX. A pretty much perfect evolution of the Bomberman formula that would, I honestly believe, be a giant sized hit today if it were updated and released with online play. It now, however, sits alone and unknown buried in the depths of the PSX library. There is some footage of it on Youtube, so I know I wasn't the only one who ever played it, but it deserved a much better fate.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
A game called Baroque.
I found it cheaply for the Wii a few years back, don't know anyone who's heard of it.
And good so, the game sucked and I didn't understand crap about it...
I tried to play it for several hours but never got anywhere
People of the Escapist, keep away from this game!

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Well the irritating thing about the escapist is that there is almost guaranteed to be at least someone else who has played/heard of any game you can think of. Or it might be a good thing, I dunno.
I've never found another SMT fan in real life, though. I guess most people just don't like that style of game, which is a shame.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack springs to mind.

That was one of my favorite games of the N64, and yet nobody mentions it. Ever.

Other games of note include:

- Metals Arms: Glitch in the System (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube)
- Brute Force (Xbox)
- Goemon's Great Adventure (N64)

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Z of the Na said:
- Brute Force (Xbox)
THANK YOU, I've been trying to remember the name of that game for AGES, I was trying to use it as an example of something at some point and I couldn't remember.

Also that game was massively hyped, bunch of people likely have it.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Z of the Na said:
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack springs to mind.

That was one of my favorite games of the N64, and yet nobody mentions it. Ever.

- Metals Arms: Glitch in the System (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube)
I got a similar one.

I loved Bomberman Hero, a really solid and fun platformer in my opinion, and sometimes I wonder if I had just dreamed it up, its so apparently obscure.

I also love metal arms even more, and it's a damned shame it doesn't get more recognition.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
A Valley Without Wind, it's an indie game on steam and it seems like no one has ever noticed it. Granted the graphics are just god awful, so maybe thats why no one buys it.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Dog's life for playstation 2.

I've never met another person that is even aware of its existence, which is a shame. Cause it is the best game ever made!

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Lords of Magic for PC. It's an RPG/RTS hybrid with a turn-based movement and economy system that switches to a real-time tactical battlefield when combat is initiated. There were eight different "faiths" you could play as, like order, chaos, life, and death, which gave the game a lot of replay-ability.

The only people I know who actually played it were my brother and I.

MasterNano

Mar 25, 2012
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue.
It's not that obscure, but I've never heard it mentioned in web-videos, and in my opinion, it's one of the best games made for kids ever!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ElVasco said:
..... that game, was "War on Terror", a real-time strategy game based on a fictionalised version of the very real, well, War on Terror, but I digress. I have never found a soul that ever knew the existence of the game, so I wonder, has any one here ever had a game that nobody ever paused to question something similar in existence?

Captcha: industrial revolution, for without it, we wouldn't even have the cheap, mass-produced t-shirt he is wearing now.
Sounds like a patriotism cash in of 2002. It was good? Cash in games can pleasantly surprise sometimes. Couple of those Harry Potter games were really good.

I think I've found one other person on these forums who played Ribbit King (ps2).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buw8tJFRgUg
Epic WTF.
If you live someplace where weed is legalized, get a big bag and this game.
Obligatory: Don't do drugs kids.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Bust-a-Groove/Move for the PS1.
Man, I played the plop out of that as a boy.
Never heard anyone else talk about it even though the sound track was completely dope.
Best music ever!

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
Beasts and Bumpkins - from 1997, a PC RTS where you, an exiled medieval lord, slowly build yourself up back to power. It's quite funny, and really difficult. I've never managed to complete it, and the only other person I know that played it is my best friend.

Sanitarium - a 2002 Point-and-Click puzzler where you are a doctor in a coma who has discovered a terrible secret about one of your colleagues. The game is your journey through your mind as you fight to regain consciousness before your colleague kills you. It's trippy and bizarre and horrible and brilliant.

I've also never heard of anyone else admitting to having played Azurik: Rise of Perathia (one of the Xbox Original release titles). I actually really liked it, but everything I've heard of it seems to say that the general consensus was terrible.

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
Maaaaaan, Trap Gunner was so much fun. My friends and I would play it for hours using different characters for their different trap combinations, and I think at one point we were just setting trap configurations and going from there.

When we were done with that, we'd go on to Psychic Force (PS1), or Jet Moto (PS1), or I'd head home to play some One Must Fall: 2097 (PC) or Tyrian (PC).

And outside of my small group of friends, people didn't know any of those games. I have finally found a couple of people who play OMF over the internet, and partake from time to time, but that's so very next to nobody.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal. It had some pleasant, atmospheric music and entertaining combat. I picked up a fake copy of the game in Kowloon years ago.

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. It was a side-scrolling 3D shooter in which you blasted aliens and did other things that I will not mention here due to the wishes of the Vatican.

Soldier of Fortune. Much of the same, minus the aliens.

I never met anyone who had played Freelancer until a few years ago. A truly fantastic and wondrous game. Nothing I have found since can compare with the experience of hovering stationary in a vast ice field, watching frozen chunks of rock pirouette past, the irregular flashes of light illuminating patches of the dark cloud shrouding your vulnerable craft. Being completely alone save for the occasional silhouette of a hostile dagger fighter, scouring the mist for lost ships like yours.

That and accidentally crashing into planets. That was hilarious.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
Breed. It was long ago, but i always wanted to play that things multiplayer. you could put a tank into an air transport ffs. and fly to space! near orbit mind you. even alone i had fuckton of fun. and yet noone knows of it :(

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
Ooo! Manhattan Project! Still the best Duke Nukem to date for faith to the original and sweet graphics.
OK, no one has ever seconded me when I complain about this one, so: Wild Nine (PS1).

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
josemlopes said:
I guess I know some:

EYE - Divine Cybermancy
Hidden And Dangerous
Cortex Command
I played EYE - Divine Cybermancy for a few good hours.

It started off really good, but when I got to the big city scape level I felt kind of annoyed by the insane amount of respawning enemies, and gave up at that point tbh.