Games you never found another player of (or even heard of)

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Fractral said:
I've never found another SMT fan in real life, though. I guess most people just don't like that style of game, which is a shame.
SMT being Shin Megami Tensei?
Cos I'd actually reckon that as one of the more popular series of games... especially the Persona spinoffs which seem to have a cult following. (though you specify IRL...)

As for me, I've never heard of anyone else who'd played the Xbox game "Phantom Crash", fucking loved that game, I still have it but my Xbox broke and I can't find another one that both works and is cheap enough to justify getting for one game.
It's a shame that PS2 emulation is so popular but Xbox emulation is limited to Turok...

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
josemlopes said:
I guess I know some:

EYE - Divine Cybermancy
Hidden And Dangerous
Cortex Command
Hidden and Dangerous! I've played that! It was fucking nails!

I found the inventory section particularly frustating. Not wanting to just press 'auto select' for the equipment you'd take on a mission, I selected it myself, only to discover that the equipment you selected was all you'd have available for the entire capaign. Cue getting four missions in and discovering you needed dynomite, only to remember that you didn't actually pack any.

Taught me a lesson.

Back OT, I would probably have to go back to the good old spectrum days for this. Chances are someone else will have played Repton Mania, but does anyone remember Fred? or Tank Trax?

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Oddly enough an MMO, Mabinogi.

Including the people who introduced me to it I have met less than 5 other players outside of the game.

Dead_Man said:
Custom Robo for the Gamecube. Friggin' loved that game, and everyone looked at me like I was crazy whenever I mentioned it.
Oh hell yes. This game was one of the top 5 games of my childhood. Every time someone came over and we played games I would give this one a spin. Everyone loved it and I am surprised it never took off.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Back in the day I had a Mech combat game called G-Nome. And it was awesome[footnote=

1]I even sometimes replay it. I managed to rescue the game from it's scratched CD on my Harddrive years ago and it followed over ro every new computer. It is actually possible to just run it from the EXE file on the copied CD. Copied as in I just marked everything on the CD and pressed Ctrl+C and than Ctrl+V...[/footnote]. It was one of my first own PC-Games (it's from 97 or something like that). Before that I only had some DOS based games. I never heard of anyone else ever playing this game. It was most likely a cashgrap on MechWarriors succes and surely not as good. But I thought it was great. There was even a RTS playing in it's Universe. It was called Dominion and I never got to play it. It should basicly be impossible to get a copy of that by now.
Also: The Mechs in it were called HAWCs. I think that is an awesome name and everyone who thinks otherwise must be fascist hate guy or something......

Edit: Ironed out some spelling erros. Any remaining can be kept.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Spartan: Total Warrior.

A PS2 game, one of the only games in existance to feature actual mighty battles, with up to 200 fully interactible enemies and allies in the screen at the same time, with awesome action and good story.

And I have never met anyone who knew what this game was.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm the only person I know in person who's played Ikaruga, or any Cave shmup. I've had people personally thank me for having them play Rez with the lights off and trance vibrators, but never anyone who played it before they met me.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Binary Domain. Three times, I tried to pay online. On only one of those occasions did I find another player.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
The original Sly Cooper franchise... words cannot express how much I love that series.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
Shogo: Mobile Armored Division, an anime-inspired shooter that Monolith did back in 98. It was a mess, but a glorious one. I know people who have played it exist, but the only ones I've met are those that I introduced it to.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Judgement101 said:
A Valley Without Wind, it's an indie game on steam and it seems like no one has ever noticed it. Granted the graphics are just god awful, so maybe thats why no one buys it.
I can top that. I have not only played it; I was also an alpha tester for it back in summer 2011. The game is notorious on Rock, Paper, Shotgun for being the ugliest game ever (I don't entirely agree, but it's not the prettiest either) and for having tons of great ideas that don't quite work out as well as they should. Everyone there still loves Arcen anyway, because they have the best customer support and fan interaction of any dev ever, and AI War, their first game, was just as ambitious as AVWW but actually succeeded at nearly everything it attempted. I'm hopeful for AVWW2 though, because AVWW is fun even if it's flawed, and it's shown a lot of potential even since the alpha, despite not everything quite coming together as a whole.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Chameleon Twist 2. I ain't even heard of the first Chameleon Twist and ain't no-one I ever met played Chameleon Twist 2. It's a Sunsoft game for the N64 where you play as a chameleon named Dave, and your signature move is that you can extend your tongue to ridiculously long lengths and control its trajectory to eat enemies and solve puzzles. It's also super sticky so you can use it to attach to platforms. Oh, did I not mention it's a platformer? ...it's a platformer. It's ultra-janky (it came out before Super Mario 64 I believe so it falls into that mawkish realm of dodgy pre-Mario 64 3D platformers), but man, as a kid I loved the game. One of the bosses was a giant cheeseburger. A giant cheeseburger! And his health bar is the fillings, and you knock them out and huge slices of cheese spin around the level like ninja stars! ...such surplus of imagination.

But yeah, I haven't met anyone before or since that even knows the game exists, yet alone has played it. And yet I'd say it's my earlier gaming memory, at least on consoles.

Dalisclock said:
Rascarin said:
Sanitarium - a 2002 Point-and-Click puzzler where you are a doctor in a coma who has discovered a terrible secret about one of your colleagues. The game is your journey through your mind as you fight to regain consciousness before your colleague kills you. It's trippy and bizarre and horrible and brilliant.
I actually really liked Sanitarium. Unfortunatly, it doesn't seem to like the new versions of windows when I tried playing it again.
GOG to the rescue?? GOG to the rescue! http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sanitarium

They make sure all their games work on modern operating systems. They recently updated their games to work with Windows 8 and released a short list of games that don't work on Windows 8 because that was easier than listing the hundreds that do. So yeah, if you wanna replay Sanitarium, maaaybe give GOG a try? ...I don't work for them, by the way. I am not an advertising robot. Beep boop.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Roofstone said:
Dog's life for playstation 2.

I've never met another person that is even aware of its existence, which is a shame. Cause it is the best game ever made!
I played the demo for that from the Playstation 2 magazine.

I never ended up buying it, but fucking hell that was a stellar concept.

OT: Tobal. Nobody has ever heard of Tobal.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Dot-Hack, in particular the first four (Infection Mutation Outbreak and Quarantine) since it seems like anyone I talked to who had heard of the series only played the following three.

I always thought the idea of a simulation of a MMORPG was pretty cool, and the fact that they put a desktop screen, e-mail, forums with posters (even arguments and dissenting opinions) and so forth really made it for me. I also really enjoyed the combat, despite never ever using magic in battles.

Mikkel421427

Nov 10, 2010
Must be a little indie game where you control the mind of some poor tosspot that gets stood up on a date. It's called Dinner Date. It's on Steam

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
JamesStone said:
Spartan: Total Warrior.

A PS2 game, one of the only games in existance to feature actual mighty battles, with up to 200 fully interactible enemies and allies in the screen at the same time, with awesome action and good story.

And I have never met anyone who knew what this game was.
That was one of my favourite of that generation, fantastic it was.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Mikkel421427 said:
Must be a little indie game where you control the mind of some poor tosspot that gets stood up on a date. It's called Dinner Date. It's on Steam
I played that. On one hand I'm glad I didn't pay full price, on the other hand it's nice to know there exist people more insecure than me.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Darkened Skye, PC version. The Gamecube version was terrible.

It was a fun action RPG, with toungue-in-cheek and self-referential humor (think Sam & Max). It was set in a fantasy world, something that looks similar to Everyquest, or World of Warcraft (first year), and a little bit of Labyrinth. The player character, Skye, is tasked with finding ancient talismans which give her magical powers.

She has a shepard's staff which she can use as a melee weapon, or a magician's staff, casting various magical spells in a cross between ES:Oblivion style, and Jaffa's Ma'Tok from Stargate.

I know few people who have actually heard of it.