Games you think are great, even though no one else seems to like them.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
I haven't bothered to peruse all four pages, unfortunately (Laziness is bliss, I always say... Or is it ignorance? Either way.), but I've got a couple of gems strewn about that everyone sees as bottlecaps.

First off, the Harvest Moon series. Aside from the handful of die-hard fans I've come across, it's always "Wow... Farming. That's... Erm... Fun. Yeah... Fun." Honestly, I don't know why I find it so awesome myself. A Wonderful Life FTW.

Second would be the Dynasty/Samurai warriors games. Sometimes cutting through ranks of enemies can be extremely fun.

Third and foremost is Star Fox: Assault. Most people rant at it for its plethora of foot missions, voice-acting and Borg ripoffs aside.I loved the on-foot parts, to the point that I refuse to play multiplayer any other way. As for voice acting, I could understand with Leon's, Panther's, Slippy's, and to a degree Fox's voice, but I find that Falco's character is better personified with a Brooklyn accent. And personally, I've got to congratulate the Star Fox storywriters for using something other than the same basic formula with their stories. Though Command sucked. A lot.

Anywho, furfag ranting is over. As you were. *descends back into cave*

Demir23

Oct 19, 2008
Sonic Spinball for the Genesis and Game Gear. Even though everyone else thought it was stupid I actually thought that it was pretty fun. Then again, I am a fan of Sonic and Pinball, so I'm probably biased.

talin4

Sep 14, 2008
I loved Breakdown on the Xbox. Yes I know its faults: repetitive level design, stupid AI partner, and a wee bit odd at times... But I still like it.

The Overmatt

Oct 4, 2008
talin4 said:
I loved Breakdown on the Xbox. Yes I know its faults: repetitive level design, stupid AI partner, and a wee bit odd at times... But I still like it.
I'm with you there man. Other than the frustrating lack of checkpoints, I thought that was a really cool game. The backflipping etc. during combat was real cool.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Everybody thinks I'm weird for liking Kingdom Hearts. I think it's because of the Disney characters. But it was still a pretty cool game.

Kshandamionreal

Mar 5, 2008
Jade Coccoon 1 impressed me at first because the main character ACTUALLY FIGHTS, not "go (insert catchy monster name) beat him up while I watch and pretend it hurts me." Then I liked it more because the monster-fusing system was useful and not frustrating like the Monster Rancher series. I've said before how much I hate the sequel that people supposedly love and I'd gladly trade to own the first one and rent the other instead of the vice versa.

Moonwalker. Most were too young or otherwise unaware that this game existed, but the sheer fact that you play as MJ, kicking sparkles at bad guys and collecting, I mean "rescuing" children from closets and car trunks for points makes this game consistently funny.

Tomba. A pink-haired jungle boy that trips on mushrooms and pounces on pigs like he's going to "make them squeal." 'Nuff said.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
jackanderson post=9.72877.867397 said:
Stuntman: Ignition. Whilst there are several flaws, the games huge fun. Shame no-one bought it.
Oooh! Oooh! Me! Pick me! I did! I did!
It was a funtastic game filled with jumps, barrel rolls, and setting your car on fire. I wasted many days on that game, trying hard for the 5-star rating. Good times.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I really want to make a new thread just so that people read my post, but I'm not going to be that rude. I know everyone hates repeat threads:

I just started playing Sacred 2 today and DAMN! It's like playing an Elderscrolls game with the interface of Diablo. There are a lot of features in it to that I think that even D3 is going to fail on. I have a friend that went to Blizzcon and even he finds that D3 is going to be great, but Sacred does a lot of things better.

One thing I love is that there is an auto-pickup button. all items in a large radius get grabbed instantly.

Also, there is no mana. The game relies on cooldown rates to keep you from spamming your spells instead of just a recharging mana pool. I find it very unique and awesome.

Skills are customizable. You can choose to make your skill behave in new ways by forgoing other options. Like one druid entangle spell can be altered to add thorn damage to the enchantment, or make it just entangle longer for you to shoot them to death.

Lastly, your HP regenerates quite quickly, so you aren't spamming potions between battles.

I also love the humor in the game. It breaks standard medieval fantasy by throwing in laser guns and robots. They aren't a huge theme to piss off the purists, but they are there, and its cool. I've also heard NPCs say some really funny things, as if they know they are in a game. "I guess I was just an extra" says the bandit as he falls from your sword attacks. Also, the robot PC character says things after battle like "Enemy targets dispatched, XP gained"

The problem is that I don't think many people bought this game, and I know the reviewers ripped it apart because they were expecting Diablo 3, and not an Elderscrolls/Diablo mashup. The game world is MASSIVE, so like Elderscrolls, you are more likely to get bored of the game from getting tired of exploring then actually running out of things to do. I played for about 5 hours today, and I only explored 3 small islands. On those small islands though, I completed something like 15 side quests. My friend has been much further in the game, and he spent 30 hours on the game doing side quests before starting the main campaign. Morrowind is my favorite game ever, and that was my experience with it as well; getting lost in the vast amount of side quests.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
I actually really liked Animal Crossing (the Gamecube one) for quite a while... I took a look at the village almost every day for months. :p But after you've seen the special events and caught most of the insects and fish and such, it does get a bit repetitive.

famousninja

May 27, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Here are my guilty gaming pleasures:

Fallout Tactics - It was mentioned earlier, but man I liked it!
Oblivion for the 360 - I know it won a ton of awards, but SO MANY people complain about the game, I'm wondering how it won awards at all! Whatever, I LOVE the game!
Total Annihilation - This was such a freaking awesome RTS and barely anyone I know played it.
'Phantom Dust' for Xbox - Again, nobody knows this game and I had a blast with it.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - A PC CLASSIC, in my opinion. Not one person I know has played this game. Not one.
Interesting List, however it just seems to be a list of games that no-one's heard of, not hated.

I will second you on Total Annihilation and Fate of Atlantis, the former I still hold up as the greatest real-time strategy released, especially after the patches and expansions. I'm quite amazed at how many have forgotten it, even after supreme commander was released, and promptly forgotten.
There is a connecting thread between TA and Fate of Atlantis, as Ron Gilbert, one of the main designers on TA also programmed the SCUMM engine, which Fate runs on. creepy like pasta.

I've also looked at a lot of Indy games (as in Indiana Jones, not independent) and most of them fall flat, but Fate of Atlantis is the only convincing attempt at an Indy game. Brilliantly written, easy to pick up, devious puzzles, and it never loses the spirit of Indiana Jones, as cheesy as it may be

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai. Most people probably haven't even heard of it, let alone played it. It was bashed for being too short and bearing some similarity to the Onimusha series. Bah, I say! The controls were 100 times smoother than either of the first two Onimusha games, and the game had both New Game+ and a Hard Mode, in addition to a substantial New Game+ sidequest or two. Genji was fast and fun, but apparently it just was overlooked.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
famousninja said:
I will second you on Total Annihilation and Fate of Atlantis, the former I still hold up as the greatest real-time strategy released, especially after the patches and expansions. I'm quite amazed at how many have forgotten it, even after supreme commander was released, and promptly forgotten.
There is a connecting thread between TA and Fate of Atlantis, as Ron Gilbert, one of the main designers on TA also programmed the SCUMM engine, which Fate runs on. creepy like pasta.

I've also looked at a lot of Indy games (as in Indiana Jones, not independent) and most of them fall flat, but Fate of Atlantis is the only convincing attempt at an Indy game. Brilliantly written, easy to pick up, devious puzzles, and it never loses the spirit of Indiana Jones, as cheesy as it may be
Very Interesting! I had no idea about the Gilbert connection!

And well said about Fate of Atlantis! 3 different paths to play the game, great dialogue, memorable characters (Ahh Sofia...you feisty girl you)...great game.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Conker Live and Loaded and all the Oddworld games, and i also loved 99-Nights, even with its pefectly straight vertical line difficulty curve :D

SlayerGhede

Jan 13, 2008
Harvest Moon. Not a single one of my friends plays it. Not a single one has expressed interest in trying it once they have heard it described.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
One gaming series and a single RPG for the Super Nintendo Comes to mind.

I always loved the "King's Field" series that premiered on the Playstation and having a sequel on the PS 2. They were a First Person Perspective RPG that was completely 3D and had some action elements too. Most people bashed it for how slow the game ran on the Playstation or the terrible controls, since it used the shoulder buttons before the analog sticks were made. Pure dungeon-crawling fun.

The second one was "Brandish" for the Super Nintendo. Again, another dungeon crawler that was bashed for it's controls. It did take some getting used too, but I just loved exploring and solving the puzzles in that game. I never seen a computer RPG on a console use traps as a form of a puzzle a la "Prince of Persia" style yet, but this comes pretty close, in my opinion.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned for me is Enter the Matrix. There's just something about the fighting that I simply don't get bored of, despite all of its myriad flaws.