Games you want to like but just can't

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
bluepanda 492 said:
Mass Effect, Dead Island, and Dead Space Couldn't get into them only got through Dead Island due to friends playing, the other two i got maybe halfway through.

Legend of Zelda Twilight princess killed me with the wimote controls.

Resident Evil Operation Racoon City, Started out extremely fun (played with three friends) but they all got bored of it and the more i play alone the more broken it feels.

Duke Nukem Forever, I dont think anything needs to be said.
what console? if xbox, hang in there buddy! im getting it on the week of april 19. add me: BULLET SANDW1CH

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
I turned off half-life after before that GODAWFUL fifteen minute opening train ride was even over. Who the fuck decided people would enjoy a commute in their video games too?

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tales of Graces F is my most recent example of this.

I loved the changes to the combat, but the characters make the FF13 bunch look amazing by comparison, and the story is paced horribly. Quit at 12 hours, and even sold it.

If this is the game Namco chooses to base the US fate of Tales on, they can fucking keep it in Japan.
I get the feeling my experience with the game might not be that great either. Just to be clear, I freakin' love the Tales series. I've been extremely excited about Tales of Graces since december 2009. I pre-ordered it to gamestop and got it on the day of its release. Due to certain grade related issues I have had it withheld and tonight will be the verdict on whether or not I can play it during spring break (this upcomming week). Honestly, the combat is the only thing from what I have seen that really strikes me as awesome. The combat just looks so awesome, and I have not been watching the english playthroughs yet until I try it myself but from other japanese vids, the characters just seem quite bland, and some of their costumes and weapons... Don't get me started on their clothing and weapons. The clothes just seem so overly ornate and the weapons just seem really weird like the dude with guns, the style of them just... UGH! Frankly, I worry that the battle system might be the only redeeming quality of this game for me. I don't regret pre-ordering it, but I really hope that this trend doesn't continue for the rest of the Tales of series. While I'm busy hoping, maybe I'll hope that I end up not being very disappointed with the characters and story. On a side note, looking at Tales of Xillia, the characters seem fine as does the game play and story, but the heroine's clothes, My gosh! They are just so weird. Is it just me, or have heroines from recent tales of games had really crappy costume design? Sorry if I lost ya there drifting off into a terrible rant, just thought I'd make all of these thoughts known.

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
The Half Life series. I want to like it. I really do! It should be everything I love in a game: great story with great gun mechanics! But I start playing it and...and... I just CANT ENJOY IT!

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
bullet_sandw1ch said:
Dragon age: origins. i tried, i tried so very hard, but that part with the possessed little kid and the fade was so terrible it ruined any chance i had for finishing it.
Did you half way enjoy it until then? Because that whole segment is by far the worst part of the game. There's actually a mod that lets you skip the fade and its silliness.

O.T: Tactics Ogre.

Years ago, a roomate of mine highly recommended a ps1 game by Square Enix. He wouldn't stop going on about it. So, sometime down the road, I'm on E-bay and I see the game for sale, and I think sure I'll grab it. I tried over and over again to get into it and to this day I don't know what he saw in it. The game is incomprehensible.

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. In this case the port to the PS2.

It's a Ratchet & Clank game, dammit. The story is alright, the weapons and locations are varied and it's got a few nice minigames and gimmicks. Hell, even for a PSP game it's alright.

And yet... It feels so unpolished; almost like a late beta.
Locations are varied, but poorly designed and rendered. The music sometimes cuts out after in-game cutscenes. Some weapons are useless in battle, others overpowered. Enemies have a hard time spotting you when you're 4 feet away. The camera refuses to work along; it's too closely positioned behind you, clips through walls and ceilings (or gets stuck in them) or outright refuses to follow you when you walk away from your ship.

I try to ignore the faults. I try to enjoy playing this game. But I just can't.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Final Fantasy Tactics (the original and "War Of The Lions") is the ONLY good Final Fantasy game, and holy damn is it good.
I own it for PS1, PS3, PSP, and iPad....cuz it's that awesome.

Anyhow, the games I want to love but just can't are BioShock, Batman:Arkham Asylum, and Deus Ex:Human Revolution.
For the life of me, I just can't figure out why I can't get into them.
I love everything about them....

The one I want to be into but just can't because the game is built retarded is Dead Rising 2.
The save system....oh gods soooo stupid. So punishing.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
World of Warcraft and League of Legends. I know so many of my friends play those games, but I just can't get into them at all. Just not for me I guess.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Bioshock

I dont know why. I love the look and feel, I love the gunplay, and I like the overall story but it just doesn't click.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Both of the Witcher games. I tried, tried so hard to like them but I simply didn't have fun.
Something about the fact that if I held down the right-click before coming out of a roll and then not immediately blocking after I come out and having to press it again really, really rustled my jimmies.
I also hated the dialogue, don't even know why - Just rubbed me the wrong way.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Saint's Row 3.

I loved Saint's Row 2 more than I ever thought possible but the 3rd one? I just can't get into it. I got it for Christmas, have played a grand total of about 3 hours and that's it. I'm sure I will play it eventually, I just find myself not wanting to go back to it.

I have a similar thing with Skyrim. I played that a lot then put it down one day and never came back to it. Though I assign part of the blame about that to my boyfriend. Once you've been orally pleasured while playing a game, playing it without the oral pleasure just doesn't quite measure up...

Greatjusticeman

May 29, 2011
Assassins Creed.

The first one I was able to do - the gameplay got boring after awhile but I really enjoyed the setting and the characters. However, I wasn't able to even get halfway through AC2 because I just didn't like the setting or the character.

It sucks, cause my friends like AC, and AC3 doesn't look half bad. But I just can't get myself to play through any of the previous.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
Dirty Apple said:
bullet_sandw1ch said:
Dragon age: origins. i tried, i tried so very hard, but that part with the possessed little kid and the fade was so terrible it ruined any chance i had for finishing it.
Did you half way enjoy it until then? Because that whole segment is by far the worst part of the game. There's actually a mod that lets you skip the fade and its silliness.

O.T: Tactics Ogre.

Years ago, a roomate of mine highly recommended a ps1 game by Square Enix. He wouldn't stop going on about it. So, sometime down the road, I'm on E-bay and I see the game for sale, and I think sure I'll grab it. I tried over and over again to get into it and to this day I don't know what he saw in it. The game is incomprehensible.
until that part, it was on it's way to be my game of the year. then, that part came. it was just so bad, that it killed my mood. i got up, and sold it immediately. it was that bad to me.

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
krazykidd said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA and I find that there are things in this game which are better in comparison......but by Christ is the difficulty just too brutal. A handful of the missions I had to go through felt so hard to accomplish and the amount of farming to get my troops to their strengths to finish them was just not fun for me. The other game felt alot easier to get through the story without feeling stuck but in this game the amount of times I have to grind my arse off just to finish one stinking mission is just annoying.

Also that one mission where you have to defend Rapha on Riovanes Castle Roof, two words:

FUCK....IT!
I was so dissapointed that your characters coulda perma die in the gba games and i really didn't like the laws , so of them were flat out retarded. I won't say they are bad games though , because they aren't .
I found the perma death in Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL was one of the main contributors to the reasons I hate the game which kinda puzzles me as in games such as Fire Emblem I don't mind it, in fact I liked the challenge of keeping everyone alive. But those games made it possible to manoeuvre around it and this game to me just kicks you in the balls from the start and continues to go at em without sympathy as I would spend 60% of the time in battle continuously resurrecting my soldiers while they kept killing them over and over again!.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
Borderlands, Mass Effect and Bioshock. I bought them because I was told they were good, but I really couldn't get into them.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Mass Effect, I appreciate it, I really do. But there are so many things that make it hard to like. The combat doesn't work for me, driving that fucking buggy drives me to despair and everything feels like a chore. I really like the story and characters and everything else, but...it just won't ever go on my "best games list".
I've been told countless times to play 2 and 3 of course, but other more interesting games keep distracting me.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I am trying to do this right now with Heroes 6. I want to enjoy it since I loved the Heroes of Might and Magic series until they were sold to Ubisoft. I was hoping 6 would redeem it for me and although it isn't bad in some ways. There is so much stripped out of the game since Heroes 3, I am having a hard time sticking with it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The Mario Kart series which I would never include in a personal favorite list unless it's a top X personal favorite racing games list. I love the style, the controls, the characters and even a lot of the tracks. It's a really colorful, imaginative series that you can just pick-up and play at any time really. That being said though, there are a couple of things that keep me from loving the game.

The petty gripe, more than likely a product of modern games, is the lack of unlockables. Most Mario Kart games I've played gave you every character and track (excluding the special cup) which is great for a pick-up-and-play game but makes single player seem pointless if you say, have an unfinished Dragon Quest or, Final Fantasy or, Zelda game on hand. Later games bring in new characters though which is great for single-players like me.

The biggest issue is how easy it is to get your ass handed to you during a race. It almost seems like your opponents get items at random and the lack of a shield power-up really makes you feel vulnerable. In Mario Kart 7 I've been ahead of the pack for a lap and a half only to get blindsided by a blue-shell, lightning and, whatever I had trailing behind me as a means of self-defense.

I love the games but have never been in love with the series.