Gaming Addiction Leads to Death of 3-Month Old Korean Girl

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
CheckD3 said:
Wow...that's just horrible...you'd think Asians would know better than to get too addicted like that...that's us Americans jobs to be stupid enough to get really addicted. As said, neglecting a REAL daughter for a virtual one? These 2 better be punished harshly
Actually, quite the opposite. Asia has had a much greater problem with drug cartels and mass addiction than the US and Westerners have. In fact what has happened there is one of the big reasons why we're so persistant on things like "The War On Drugs".

I'm not going to get into a TL:DR rant, but I will say you might want to do some reading on things like "The Opium Wars", and the early Heroin/Lotus/Poppies trade between The Middle East and The Far East and so on. Indeed one of the reasons why some of the nations down there claim to have a bug up their rears about The Western World was that we "poisoned their culture" by sort of reversing their drug trade back on them. It's long, complicated, and
very debatable, but I find it kind of funny to hear someone seriously suggest this given all the hate spewed and blood shed throughout Asia. :p

Also nations like Korea are the ones who have turned things like "Starcraft" into massive sports and such, and treat some of the players like celebrities. While we have our share of addicts in the US, we have yet to ever take things that far... not to say that it isn't bad enough.

I also think that part of the problem comes down to some of the Asian standards involved. When I look at a relationship like that between a 41 year old and a 25 year old it's enough to get some attention from me in most cases. Down there that's not supposed to be all that uncommon. Stuff like that, along with male dominance (which is decreasing), large families, and other issues are responsible for a lot of the social issues in the region.

See, when I look at a situation like that along with some of the things being said, it strikes me as being a situation where the 41 year old pretty much forced the neglect (which apparently went beyond the gaming) with her pretty much going along with what he said at any given time. If he wants to go play at the Internet Cafe for 12 hours and neglect the baby, that is what they do, irregardless of what she might think, etc...

I don't KNOW this of course, but it's the kind of thoughts that go through my mind given what I know about the cultural differances.

That said, don't get the wrong impression, kids DO die in the US from neglect all the time. The neglect can be from anything from overworking (both parents do extra shifts without being able to call each othr, assuming the other one is coming home for the kids), being too cheap to hire babysitters, drug binges, alcohol binges, and anything else you can think of. I simply think they deal with all of that, plus what I see as being cultural issues.

Apologies if that offends someone, it's just my opinion.

scoobyduped

Apr 6, 2008
between this, and this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.179630-Child-Must-Have-Thought-a-Gun-Was-a-Wii-Remote-Mother-Says], I have officially lost my faith in humanity today

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
I fucking hate "The Kims".

Leaving a 3-month old baby to starve, over some fucking non-existant bunch of pixles.

It's fucking putrid.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
eels05 said:
RaNDM G said:
Australia?Remind me what we've blamed on others latley?
WorkCover for causing suicides.

Huawei for espionage.

Emirates airlines for price fixing.

I could go on if you want me to.
Ah yeah sure if you've got nothing better to do.

While your at it compile one for every other western country as well because blaming some 'other' organization,company,country is a common trait.
Which one do you want me to start with?

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
goddammit, now all the anti-game people are going to use this till the end of time against us.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
That really is discusting..

They must be serously messed up from the start to do this shit...

SuperChris

Mar 21, 2009
Shycte said:
Fniff said:
No, only mormons goes to heaven. Refrence anyone?

OT: Oh, Koreans, when will they learn.

But anyway, I bet a hundred kids starved to death in Afrika today so....
I'd say that's from the South Park movie.

OT: As others have said, this could have been almost any kind of addiction, but I don't have much to say apart from even though the girl has died, it is probably better than being stuck in the life she had.