Gaming Addiction Leads to Death of 3-Month Old Korean Girl

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I don't have the words.... that is just so incredibly tragic. I hope they get the help they need, because they seem to have a major problem.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Christ, some people should just not have kids, getting your priorities straight is one thing but good God.

This story is going to come back to gamers in a bad way I tell you, some Game Haters are going to have a field day.

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
Oh...Christ.

That's just..

Horrible!

I may not be religious, but if heaven exists, then may the girl be in heaven.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
thye shouldn't have had the kid in the first place though, I don't think abortions and/or vasectomies are legal in Korea but, I could be mistaken. Anyway, the parents made the choice to love the game more than the kid. Why not put it up for adoption? Maybe they just wanted to give gaming a bad name in some ass-backwards conspiracy against gaming. Or maybe they just didn't want th e kid in the first place and didn't care about losing it.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
This is not gaming addiction. This is the result of two horrible people who have no right raising a child, being responsible for the life of another human being. I really hate it when it's thrown up to gaming addiction. You can be addicted to tying your shoes by this logic. FFS this is horrible.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
This is absolutely disgusting.
I don't understand how any living person could allow their own child to die over something as meaningless as a game?
Rotten food....spanking a 3 MONTH OLD BABY?!?
These people don't deserve to have children if they are going to treat them like that.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Yikes, thats really horrible... things like these almost (almost) make me start to think that those anti-gamer activists might actually have a point...

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Wow. I was just talking about what games people would let their kids play... maybe now we gamers should start talking about moderation.

Seriously, that pisses me off. They could have put that kid up for adoption or let it's grandparents take care if it while they were gone.

That was a waste of a child's life. Who knows what that child could have grown up to do?

My gosh, I'm actually upset by this story.

Darchrow

Nov 18, 2009
Somehow I'm jealous that that 45 year old still managed to be able to marry someone who is 25. Then I realised he lives with his parents and play games 12 hours a day. I somehow like my life a bit more now.

Parental Fail.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
They should be left with no food, see how they like it.

And if they cry then they should bring out the old cat 'o nine-tails.

Feb 13, 2008
I fail to see how this is any more of a threat than just bad parenting. They could have been doing any number of things for that 12 hours. Just because they're bad parents doesn't mean that games have to be blamed.

Given that there were FOUR people who could have looked after that child, two of which seem to be non-gamers: blaming it on gaming seems a trite put-off compared to the sadism shown by the parents.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I thought when you put "The Kims" it was supposed to be a clever play on the game "The Sims", seeing as how they were raising a virtual daughter. Guess not.

I am both digusted and not surprised by this turn of events. Shit like this happens all the time, but since games are linked, and by extension "gamez r bad", it's more bad publicity for the gaming industry.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
How can you neglect a person, for a game. Jesus... It just doesn't work. I've been told that I'm adddicted to gaming, sure, but nothing on this scale. That's just sick and wrong.

It might not have even been game addiction. The couple didn't sound right for each other and the fact that they met over the internet make it very unlikely that it would ever work out. If they were going to spend their lives playing games why the heck did they have a child?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Wait, if they lived with the parents of the mother, where the fuck were they?!

I'm not saying I'd understand how the child died with no one there, but presumably the mother's parents must have been there from time-to-time...

This smells seriously like a 'Family' decision to leave the unwanted child until it died...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
That's hardly death by gaming addiction, more like death by ASSHOLE PARENTS.

Rotten powered milk? Spanked her when she cried? I hope those assholes burn in hell. You don't fuck around with a child who can't feed/defend itself.

This is just disgusting. If you didn't want a kid then don't fucking have one, it's not rocket science. And there's ADOPTION if you can't handle it I'm sure.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
My condolences to the family, and I'm sorry about the kid, but the line "cocaine addictions=game addictions" is laughable. Chemical dependencies and habitual, excessive gaming are both problems, but they're actually pretty unrelated.

Hell, I think a coke-head would've taken (slightly) better care of their kid.