Gaming Journalists Make No Damn Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's been my only point this entire time, thank you. Now I can finally rest.
No, your point was that games are getting worse due to progressiveness citing Mass Effect or BFV. Then, going on some diatribe about a scene from Uncharted 4 that made no sense whatsoever.

Here's the first posts of yours I quoted, which had nothing to do with "radical" ideologies causing games to be worse or less successful or selling less. It had to do with EssJayDubya bullshit. Pretty epic strawman right here.
Unless the developers tell us exactly why they made the change they did, we can only speculate.

But when someone sees things like TLoU2, they wonder how much was due to Sarkeesian's influence or Druckmann's ideology.
When someone sees Nadine from Uncharted beat up two grown men by herself, people wonder why and how that character came to be.
Then there's the prosthetic-cyborg cricket-bat women in Battlefield V, a game which tanked by Battlefield standards.
And no, Tracer's butt change did not make the game better.

When has censorship ever made a game better? Have you ever been more likely to purchase a game where a character's exposed skin has been covered up by a skin-tight shadow?
Well, in Uncharted, you still play as a white middle-age dude. It's just so happens that you and your white middle-age dude partner both get beaten up by a smaller, brown, woman.

And in TLoU2, the white middle-aged dude gets killed.

So it seems like it's not enough to just NOT play as a white middle-aged dude, the middle-aged white dudes need to be killed or humiliated by the women.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
To use Google?
For a 'journalist' talking about Black Panther? Those journalist are usually given that job because they need some more practice before getting a real job. It's probably a young Zoomer on their first iob.

It doesn't excuse it. I'd prefer to read a article about Superhero movie from dedicated sources, not a traditional sources that sides in entertainment

Reactions: Gyrobot

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No, your point was that games are getting worse due to progressiveness citing Mass Effect or BFV. Then, going on some diatribe about a scene from Uncharted 4 that made no sense whatsoever.
You admitted that progressiveness alienates the audience.
If you are alienated, that also means you dislike it, which makes it "worse", subjectively.
Therefore, progressiveness makes games worse.

If you had a game where you play as the KKK and lynch black people, it could have the same gameplay as RDR2, but you would probably still dislike it, wouldn't you? You would think that it's a 'worse' game than RDR2 wouldn't you?

Likewise, when people see radical feminism in games, they are alienated, and therefore, dislike the game. The game is "worse".

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
You admitted that progressiveness alienates the audience.
If you are alienated, that also means you dislike it, which makes it "worse", subjectively.
Therefore, progressiveness makes games worse.
You really need to work on your reading comprehension if you believe his statement and yours are equivalent.

First recommendation is maybe attempt to read what other users are actually saying instead of what you'd like them to say.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You really need to work on your reading comprehension if you believe his statement and yours are equivalent.

First recommendation is maybe attempt to read what other users are actually saying instead of what you'd like them to say.
I think Houseman is talking about it alienating non-progressive. Because everyone knows that we should only make media for them, in case they get offended

Reactions: Secondhand Revenant

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
ITT Goodfaithman is equating progressive with blatant racism and expecting us to treat them the same ig

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
ITT Goodfaithman is equating progressive with blatant racism and expecting us to treat them the same ig
So, I'd really like to understand why people get so bent out of shape whenever an analogy that uses racism, Hitler, or some other "offensive" topic to demonstrate the point. 8/10 someone will scoff at my analogy. To me, it seems like the people who scoff, as you did just now, completely missed the point and are just trying to paint me as insensitive.

So what are you doing, really?

Like, what's your thought process when reading the analogy? Do you really think I'm saying "progressiveness and racism should be treated with the same amount of disgust?"
Do you understand how content that is offensive to your ideals may turn you off and make you see the work as "worse" because of it?
Did you consider that? If so, do you agree or disagree?
If not, why not? Did you just get offended and then stopped considering what the point of the analogy might be?

Please, help me see your point of view and the problem with my analogy.

I think Houseman is talking about it alienating non-progressive. Because everyone knows that we should only make media for them, in case they get offended
That is the essence of "get woke, go broke" is it not? If you alienate your non/anti-progressive audience, where they make up the bulk of your audience, then it's only a matter of time until you go under, right?

By all means, it's a free market. If there's an audience for progressive, radfem games, by all means, make games for that audience. Just expect some backlash when you try to sneak that stuff in the third, fourth, or fifth title of a long-running series whose audience isn't there for that. That's just the free market at work. Nobody is obligated to like or buy your product, for any reason. When they don't, you don't get to complain or accuse these non-customers as being sexist (I see you, Ghostbusters). If you fail, it's your fault.

Launch a new IP, market it to your demographic, and see how well that works out for you. You make your own games, and we'll make ours. Everyone wins, right?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That is the essence of "get woke, go broke" is it not? If you alienate your non/anti-progressive audience, where they make up the bulk of your audience, then it's only a matter of time until you go under, right?

By all means, it's a free market. If there's an audience for progressive, radfem games, by all means, make games for that audience. Just expect some backlash when you try to sneak that stuff in the third, fourth, or fifth title of a long-running series whose audience isn't there for that. That's just the free market at work. Nobody is obligated to like or buy your product, for any reason. When they don't, you don't get to complain or accuse these non-customers as being sexist (I see you, Ghostbusters). If you fail, it's your fault.

Launch a new IP, market it to your demographic, and see how well that works out for you. You make your own games, and we'll make ours. Everyone wins, right?
"Get Woke, Go Broke' is a reactionary statement to gay/trans/females etc. being in media. Because, god knows, the only people who are allowed to be in movies is white males. Otherwise a bunch of people get their panties in a twist. The artist aren't trying to do anything, its outsiders coming in and saying, "I dont like that."

Reactions: Gordon_4

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
"Get Woke, Go Broke' is a reactionary statement to gay/trans/females etc. being in media.
I wonder why such things were never said about The Ballad of Gay Tony? Or the classic Laura Croft games? Jill and Claire and all the other female protags from Resident Evil? Why doesn't the "get woke, go broke" crowd complain about these? Surely there's some difference between what they do complain about and what they don't. What do you think that is?

Why do you think a game about a woman beating up a bunch of men is fine (Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge, Darkstalkers, Dead Or Alive), but when a woman comes out of nowhere to beat up the male protagonists in the fourth title in the series, it's suddenly something to complain about?

Answer honestly, why do you think that is?

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I wonder why such things were never said about The Ballad of Gay Tony? Or the classic Laura Croft games? Jill and Claire and all the other female protags from Resident Evil? Why doesn't the "get woke, go broke" crowd complain about these? Surely there's some difference between what they do complain about and what they don't. What do you think that is?

Why do you think a game about a woman beating up a bunch of men is fine (Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge, Darkstalkers, Dead Or Alive), but when a woman comes out of nowhere to beat up the male protagonists in the fourth title in the series, it's suddenly something to complain about?

Answer honestly, why do you think that is?
Because there is always a segment of any audience that are insecure little butt nuggets.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I like the "Surely they must have some point"

Not really, no and why guess at it unless they lay it right out

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Because there is always a segment of any audience that are insecure little butt nuggets.
If there is ALWAYS a segment... then where is this segment from all the other games I mentioned?

That's what I'm asking. Explain why we don't see any complaints in these cases, but why we do see complaints in other cases. What is the difference?

If you want to say "gamer crybabies are just sexist and racist!" then you need to explain this contradiction. If you can't, then your argument must be wrong.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
People who call Black Panther the first black super hero movie make me angry.

It is like the African American community doesnt support their own kick ass media.

Oh because Black Panther was mainstram and big? That's the only reason it was celebrated.

Nobody remembers Shaft, Spawn, or fucking Black Dynamite!!! I mean come on people ya'll is missing dope black led movies.

Oh and to hell with anyone who didnt like Shaquille O'Neil's movies. Those were awesome.

Oh what about Meteor Man staring Robert Townsend. That movie was also really cool.

Im white and i just farted these out off the top of my head.

Because the media wants to make black film leads a big deal as if they never happened before. But black led movies have been happening and awesome for a long time. But not that they are pretending it is a rare and crazy thing you would think we are still in the racist 1950's.

People have moved on from those views for the most part. The media just wants to make it seem like we havent because outrage and sensationalism brings in money.
Can’t believe you left out Blade.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
The projection is off the charts. Films are being removed and censored because of things like racism, for example how "Gone with the wind" was removed from all streaming platforms. For some reason people that don't like racism are insecure about racism so they have to remove films they think are racist.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If you want to say "gamer crybabies are just sexist and racist!" then you need to explain this contradiction. If you can't, then your argument must be wrong.
Because in the vast majority of games (not to mention movies) it's still white, straight men as the protagonists. Something the non-white, non-straight non-male community has pretty much tolerated without too much if any vocalization, because why would anyone listen to them, right? But now that a small percentage of games and movies dare to veer away from white, straight male protagonists a certain segment is utterly losing their shit and getting super racist, sexist and homophobic about it. Almost like that's what they always were, but never had to reveal since the odds were always (and still really are) in their favour.

So there's your contradiction; decades of the LGBTQ community not uttering a word over the lack of (positive) represention in media, a slight shift, a small step at maybe a course correction, and certain people turn into rabid baboons.

Reactions: Gyrobot
Status
Not open for further replies.