Gaming suggestions for a girl who loves RPGs?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Well, when someone is looking for RPG suggestions, I always go with Golden Sun and Golden Sun: Lost Age. Excellent GBA RPGs that will really draw you in and keep you playing for a while. Though they might be a bit hard to get these days, but I know they will be coming to the virtual console soon.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Final Fantasy 6 & Tales of Symphonia get my votes.
These two are easily among my all time favorite RPG's.

Of the two, Tales is more accessible in terms of current gen game play. Most tales games play the same and so it'll feel familiar to other entries but just happens to be the best entry IMO.

FF6 on the other hand is just straight up amazing for anyone who can stomach old school RPG's. It's my personal favorite all time RPG released...it's what got me into actively seeking out soundtracks for games...and it's been a blast to replay through decades after the fact. Nostalgia clouds my viewpoint obviously, but I'd like to think that this game is genuine greatness without the goggles on.

Note: You might consider checking out the SW:TOR MMO as well. It's marred in all the MMO grind based problems but it does still offer a somewhat KOTOR-esque experience and it's free to play. This recommendation is made strictly on the fact that you've played KOTOR in your list. If you opt to give it a try...I loved the Jedi Knight storyline and the Sith Inquisitor story (which I didn't finish ultimately due to MMO grind frustrations).

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Longing said:
If you like Bioware, you should check out Jade Empire. It's on the Xbox Live marketplace.
Thanks for mentioning this. I wanted to play this when it first came out, but didn't have the original XBox. I didn't realize they'd do a version for 360. Well that's this evenings gaming sorted.

KitKatAttack said:
Hi Escapists,
,,, L.A. Noire,..., GTA: IV and GTA: V.
Since most poster are focusing on RPGs (with some great suggestions) I'll just mention Just Cause 2 and Sleeping Dogs as being similar to GTA but set on a tropical island and in Hong Kong respectively. Depending on which parts of L.A. Noire you enjoyed you might also enjoy Mafia 2 (though more for the atmosphere and less for the gameplay)

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
TT Kairen said:
The Witcher 2 is an amazing action-RPG with great gameplay, well-written characters, and a story where your actions actually have deep implications and consequences (unlike the illusion of such in a lot of BioWare RPGs). If you can get around the objectifying attitudes towards women, the first game is great as well (fortunately you can deny every sexual encounter in the game, so it's not too hard to just ignore that part).
I second these. They both have so many strong points and some really cool moments.
One of the best scenes in the first game is one quest were you have a party with your friends. Not much happens in that quest, but it's great nonetheless because it's just so personal.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Hero of Lime said:
Well, when someone is looking for RPG suggestions, I always go with Golden Sun and Golden Sun: Lost Age. Excellent GBA RPGs that will really draw you in and keep you playing for a while. Though they might be a bit hard to get these days, but I know they will be coming to the virtual console soon.
Beat me to it, nevertheless, lots of excellent ideas in thread and excellent games.
Some that I could personally reccommend, someone said Borderlands, you said you have a brother? That game is amazingly fun to play with another person. The Borderlands 2 GotY is quite a nice bundle and will give you something to do for a long time.

Diablo 2+Expansion for PC, that ones also amazing and you wont need some state of the art super machine to run it.

The Souls series, as others have posted are really alot of fun to play..infuriating, yet nevertheless each victory is fought for and beating some bosses (Snorlax and Pikachu...screw you) will make you get up and yell out of joy once they are finally down.

One that I personally have every installment of on the PS2 aswell as the PS3 is the Disgaea series. Its a JRPG thats quite funny. Plus if you get the game and dont look online for specific items/team attacks etc and try to find it out by yourself? It will give you something to do for hours..upon hours..upon hours. If memory serves I (finally) beat Disgaea 1 on the PS2 after about 170ish hours. I dont regret a single second of it.

Ah yes, and as various others have posted..Persona series. Persona 4 is still up to this day one of the most enjoyable experiences from a game Ive ever had and still one of my favorite games.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
I'd have to agree with everyone as far as the Fallout games both old and new, Persona, Planescape, and Borderlands (I'd recommend Borderlands 2 over the original; the gameplay is more polished, the atmosphere is funnier and more committed to parody, and the story is deeper and doesn't require playing the original to follow). I'd add that if you like strategy games and can tolerate extreme level of weirdness, the Disgaea series is a personal favorite of mine. Also, if you enjoyed Pokémon, you might consider digging out one of your old games and doing a Nuzlocke Run. [http://nuzlocke.com/challenge-comic.html]

Also also? Great avatar.

EDIT: You mentioned you have a PS2? DEFINITELY check out Mana Khemia. It's a spinoff of the Atelier series about a school for alchemists. The focus is primarily on crafting items, which is done through a super-addictive process that I would call a minigame if not for the fact that it's the focus of about half the playtime. The combat is turn based, but it has a really cool and innovative twist- there's a row of cards that progress across the top of the screen, each one representing an action in combat, and certain characters can manipulate them to, say, make your other characters attack sooner, or do bonus damage based on the number of blank cards, etc. It's a great game, so much so that it genuinely makes me regret getting rid of my PS2.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I'd recommend the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Graces etc.), in my opinion they're some of the best RPGs around. They have great story lines, engaging characters and really fun combat systems. I know most of my friends who are girls really enjoy them, and as a guy, I can't get enough of them either!

KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:
You've already got a lot of the modern western RPGs covered on that list. How do you feel about JRPGs? There are some great JRPGs out there with awesome stories if you want some suggestions.

Persona 3 and 4 have huge female fan-bases for example.
I have no problem with them, I just haven't heard of many besides Final Fantasy, Ace Attorney or Pokemon, heh heh. XP(The later two I have played and enjoyed.)So, if I dive into JRPGs do you think I should start with Persona?
If you're looking at the Persona series, I'd recommend you check out the Shin Megami Tensei games. Persona is a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei series and, for me at least, I prefer the main series. Both Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers are out on the 3DS and I'm really enjoying them, so I'd definitely recommend them.

Also if you have a Wii or Wii U I'd recommend Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story, they're two of the best games for the system, and two the better RPGs I've ever played!

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
If you want single player get New Vegas for the PC and mod the shiat outta it. If you want people in your RPG come play EVE. It's an RPG in its own right. And goes on, and on, and on, and on....

Aerduin

Sep 19, 2010
Well, looks like all my suggestions have already been covered, Planescape Torment, Jade Empire and Bards Tale, all 3 very solid choices with great storyline.

Always rely on Escapists for good friendly advice ;0)

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Might be worth a look at, if you don't let the fact that it's a primarily text-based browser-game put you off:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/

The atmosphere of it at least is amazing.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
You think dragon age was good?
GOG.com, baldurs gate 2 complete edition, 10 bucks, off you go.
Dragon age is supposed to be the "spiritual sucessor" of baldurs gate to which I utter a hearty "lolno".
There's no modern rpg that has surpassed baldurs gate 2 in a category other than graphics so far.

If you want something with (A LOT) less depth in combat but even more focus on storytelling, try planescape torment.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
KitKatAttack said:
Many are saying that Jade Empire is excellent, and I will absolutely add my voice to that chorus. The Witcher series has also been mentioned, again, great games (first one is a little unintuitive and kinda hard, you don't lose much by skipping it).

If you fancy something a little different you could always have a look at XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Turn Based Strategy mixed with base management elements (the way you outfit/customize your soldiers before a mission even has a little of the sims feel too it). Plus, if your playing on PC a mod came out recently called Long War which adds considerable length, options and re-playability to the game, though the mod is still in beta. Though I'd complete the vanilla game first (plus Enemy Within expansion pack if you can afford it) as Long War does make the game a fair bit harder.

Some of the older Square RPG's have been finding their way onto Steam too recently, Final Fantasy 7 is a classic you could lose a long time too (I have a 140 hour save game on an old PS1 memory card somewhere on which I did almost everything).
FF8 is also pretty good, though I never really got into it, many people enjoy it and you might too.

Also, on the basis that good studios deserve a recommendation, Transistor and Bastion by SuperGiant games are both EXCELLENT games, and probably 2 of the finest soundtracks in gaming.

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
Most of my suggestions have already been made, but if you can get your hands on them the Suikoden series are brilliant JRPGs. I would say Suikoden 2 (PS1) is the best but it can be difficult to get ahold of, but I think the first is on PSN. To describe it, Final Fantasy + Pokemon - melodrama = Suikoden. The games strengths aren't in the overall narrative but in the many characters that make it up.

Also more recently, Lost Odyssey. The main plot is decent, however the gameplay is turn based combat done brilliantly. But what makes this game special is the side stories. Written independently of the game they give excerpts from the life of a 1000 year old immortal, and can be beautiful.

Otherwise,

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (Vampire RPG, haven't found anything else like it)
Jade Empire (KOTOR in Ancient China, this is a must if you like BioWare)
Skyrim (Look at the modding community for this and the next 2 games, it really helps cover its flaws)
Oblivion (IMO better than Skyrim as it is more diverse both in story and setting)
Fallout 3 (Oblivion after the Apocalypse)
Persona 3, 4 (JRPG's at their best, dramatic without falling into melodrama (I'm looking at you FF))
Fable 1, 2, 3 (BRPG (British Role Playing Game), need I say more?)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (South Park the Game, it really is a game version of the tv series)
Deus Ex (The Deus Ex series are kings of cyberpunk and level design
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
KitKatAttack said:
Hi Escapists,
Hello!
Welcome to the Escapist! Hopefully you'll stay longer than just for a few hints of games :)

I didn't quite get what console you're playing or if you're PC only. But if you have a console, doesn't matter which of the 3, search for JRPGs that have the name Tales of ---. Nintendo has Tales of Symphonia (I think it also excists for PS), while Xbox has Tales of Vesperia, and then there's also Tales of the Abyss, not sure on which console that is.

I am personally a Nintendo person and absolutely love the Tales series, so if you own a Nintendo console I can give you loads of other games I've at least enjoyed. I've also been watching a mate play the Tales of Vesperia on Xbox360. You should check 'em out.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
scorptatious said:
Here are some of my recommendations:

Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)
Persona 3 and 4 (PS2) (If you have a VITA, you can get the Golden version of the latter)
Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas (PC only for the first two. PC and most consoles for the third)
Xenoblade Chronicles: (Wii)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)
Demon's Souls (PS3)
Dark Souls (PS3, 360, PC)
Chrono Trigger (SNES, DS)

And some other games I can't really think of at the moment.
Well, pretty much got ninja'd on everything I wanted to say.

Except for the Shadow Hearts games, mainly the original Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant (both PS2). They are two JRPGs set right before and during an alternative version of the First World War (one with demons, monsters and magic). Both of them have great atmosphere, characters, story and music - injected with both cheeky humor and horror elements (sounds like a weird combination, but trust me, it works). The first one isn't as good as Covenant when it comes to graphics and gameplay, but everything else is just so well done that it can easily be forgiven if you like the genre. Also, they are some of the few JRPGs I've played where you never really have to grind to keep up. (There also a third game called 'From The New World', but I wouldn't recommend it - worst ending to a trilogy since The Godfather: Part III.)

By the way, note that the person who's comment I quoted, said that Chrono Trigger was only released for SNES and DS. It was, however, also released for the PSOne - but I'm pretty sure he deliberately omitted that one because it sucks (crazy long loading times, even for simple thing like opening a menu).

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Guffe said:
KitKatAttack said:
Hi Escapists,
Hello!
Welcome to the Escapist! Hopefully you'll stay longer than just for a few hints of games :)

I didn't quite get what console you're playing or if you're PC only. But if you have a console, doesn't matter which of the 3, search for JRPGs that have the name Tales of ---. Nintendo has Tales of Symphonia (I think it also excists for PS), while Xbox has Tales of Vesperia, and then there's also Tales of the Abyss, not sure on which console that is.

I am personally a Nintendo person and absolutely love the Tales series, so if you own a Nintendo console I can give you loads of other games I've at least enjoyed. I've also been watching a mate play the Tales of Vesperia on Xbox360. You should check 'em out.
Tales of Symphonia originally came out for the GameCube, and the sequel for the Wii, but there's currently an HD re-release that includes both out for the PS3. Vesperia, like you said is on the Xbox. Tales of the Abyss originally came out for the PS2, but was recently re-released for the 3DS.

There's also Tales of Graces and Tales of Xillia for the PS3 too. Tales of Xillia 2 is actually set to release this August as well.

There are other Tales games, but those are the most recent ones that have gotten US releases

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
Golden Sun already is on Eshop for the WiiU
I've been thinking of getting it but Breath of Fire II peaked my interest more so I got that one in stead.
Very good game is was!
Golden Sun is worth a shot? Seems interesting what I've seen trailers and little of its gameplay. And it's only 6? in the Eshop.

Aug 1, 2010
Asclepion said:
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
I can't agree with this one enough. Bloodlines is one of my favorite games ever and it ranks up there as one of the best RPGs ever made, if not just best game.

It's very, very rough around the edges, but as mentioned, it's far better with visual improvements.

Either way, it's incredibly well written and very rewarding.

Also, welcome to the Escapist. Stay out of the basement and always remember to blame Kross

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
If you liked GTA, you owe it to yourself to play Red Dead Redemption. Great game with a great story. I'd also recommend the Legacy of Kain series if you are interested in a puzzle/action/adventure title.

If you want to try out JRPGs, I'd suggest starting with a Final Fantasy game (start with 6, 7, 8, or the X/X-2 HD collection and move on to the others if you like them) and then work your way around from there. Notable franchises worth playing include Star Ocean (one of my personal favorites), the Tales series (Tales of Xillia is available on PS3 at a good price), .hack (hard to get a hold of but totally worth it), and Atelier.

I'd encourage anyone that loves a good story with a lot of interaction to check out the Witcher 2, it really took me by surprise.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
If you can get a hold of a PS2 or have a PSN account there are JRPGs such as:
[also these are games i havent finished myself]
Legend Of Dragoon
The DOThack games & its sequel series
The Xenosaga Trilogy
Suikoden series
Wild Arms
Megaman X: Command Mission [which is actually an easy JRPG except it has a learning curve like a cliff side]
Disgaea [cheap game but a completionist's nightmare]

SouthPark: Stick Of Truth

If youre into shooter/RPG's with a really good & funny story the Ratchet & Clank games on Ps2 & Ps3 [but none on PSP, All4One, or Full Frontal Assault ...they just suck and not in the "got my money's worth with a prostitute" sort of way]