Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I can`t help but laugh, if he considers that to be a bad stereotype then he obviously haven't seen any comedies that have gay characters.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
So am I the only one who never encountered any homosexuality from any of my companions ever? Anders once complimented me, but neither he nor Fenris have ever even mentioned sex.

Am I playing a different game here?

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
WaywardHaymaker said:
So am I the only one who never encountered any homosexuality from any of my companions ever? Anders once complimented me, but neither he nor Fenris have ever even mentioned sex.

Probably picking different answers. Anders does come of a bit aggressive to male AND female Hawke. It is funny to see how characters react to different answers(Like Aveline suddenly kissing me on the mouth after helping with a problem in act 2(i got that reaction only in my 4th playthrough i think i had the same surprised look on my face as Hawke))

Kind of weird that with the storyline's in the game this is what people complain about. I mean i find Anders action in act 3 worse.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I feel these people have missed the point of why you get rivalry points when you decline Anders. It's not about him trying to force himself on you, I would like to believe it's because he's interested and you reject him and he would feel upset about it. Not because Bioware are trying to stereotype homosexuals.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Haha.

Why must minorities do this to themselves? I assume these group of gay people want to be treated just like everyone else, and not have their sexuality define them. If that's the case, then they should stop doing this.

Why can't they just entertain the idea that the promiscuous gay character is promiscuous because... he's promiscuous! Why are they, of all people, the ones who have made the leap to assume he is promiscuous because he is gay?

wiredk

Jun 1, 2008
I dunno if this was brought up at any point during typical discussions about Anders, however the overall character of Anders is that of someone possessed by a being of pure emotion, which forces Anders to the extremes of any of his actions.

I hate the character all the same, but still: the sooner you realize that he's not that way "Because he's gay" the sooner you realize that people are full of poo.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
uhhhh, he does realize the women are the same way, right?

its bioware, actual romances are reserved for one character, who the writers happen to favor as a waifu, the rest is just sex (seriously, name more than one character in each bioware game who had a reason to love you, hell, i dont know that anyone in da2 has a reason, but i havent finished it yet)

Dratis

Feb 20, 2011
Rival points don't mean that the person hates you. Heck it can even mean they like you. You turned him down which gives him Rival points and that can easily just mean he wants to show off in front of you to attract your attention.

It shows how much of a child he is. People can be aggressive in their flirting to someone no matter whether they are gay or straight, and it doesn't have to be just because they want to lay with you. That can easily mean that he isn't as nervous about his own sexuality or nervous about himself as gamers tend to be.

I don't see any way that the writer should be fired. Do the character actually try to force themselves on you, Physically force you? Or are they just insistant, asking and trying to vie for your attention.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
D Moness said:
WaywardHaymaker said:

Probably picking different answers. Anders does come of a bit aggressive to male AND female Hawke. It is funny to see how characters react to different answers(Like Aveline suddenly kissing me on the mouth after helping with a problem in act 2(i got that reaction only in my 4th playthrough i think i had the same surprised look on my face as Hawke))

Kind of weird that with the storyline's in the game this is what people complain about. I mean i find Anders action in act 3 worse.
Ha, it DOES say something about the community when everyone is so focused on a character's sexuality that they can get away with murder (Or whatever Anders's deed would be called).

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Can we change the title of this "news story" to something much more accurate and much less sensationalistic?

How about "One gamer who claims to be gay, who has a chip on his shoulder, wants the most progressive video game writer in the industry fired and managed to drum up meager support (likely from homophobes), completely overshadowed by much larger petition of actually sensible gamers who support Mr. Gaider instead?"

Not as pithy as I would like perhaps, but it gets the f***ing job done.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Nemu said:
Jesus christ, I'm actually ashamed to be gay now.

Well, not really, but I'm embarrassed for that idiot. I mean, SERIOUSLY, the dude is looking a gift horse in the mouth. Never mind the fact that BioWare has actively defended their stance on including "serious" homosexual plots in their 2 biggest gaming series, now this imbecile wants to take it personally and derail the positive position that BW has taken.

FFS, it's not like all of the straight characters are all realistic in games. He needs to go outside and actually interact with people so that a video game doesn't affect his childish sensibilities so harshly.
"serious" romantic subplots? In a recent Bioware game? Wow. I guess standards have dropped now. Most romances in their games devolve into "KEEP CLICKING THIS DIALOGUE FOR A SEX SCENE" while standing in ONE place. If a relationship was that, a lot more of us would have girlfriends and boyfriends.

Obviously they aren't REALISTIC relationships, because, you know...it's a GAME. However, they're slightly more complex than "ohai!". My intention, which I realize should have been explained further (I blame a lack of sleep, tbh), was to convey that homosexual relationships in BioWare games are more of a ...relevant(?) option, on par with heterosexual relations, even.

It's a bigger step than, say, Final Fantasy has taken, which is sad considering how diverse the fan base is for FF games. BioWare is simply giving the same respect to the homosexual community that they give the heterosexual. I'm not saying that either are highly regarded, just that one isn't completely shunned in favor of another.

We have, like...options and sh*t. :B
[sub]I'd just like to add that my gf recommended that I try DA2, which I did. It is the only BioWare game that I've enjoyed, so far. So I'm not trying to wave the BioWare Fangirl flag, even remotely. I'm saving THAT for ToR. *_* [/sub]

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
So the straight gamer who wants games to be focused more for straight gamers gets called a homophobe yet the gay gamer who crys fowl at the writers for making a character a sex crazed gay is written off to the category of cant please everyone.
What a crock of shit.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
Wait a minute. To add the horribly obvious fail of trolling, David Gaider didn't even write Anders's script. Jennifer Hepler wrote all of Anders's dialogue and everything. So the horribly retarded fanboy hate and trolling disguised as a legitimate complaint isn't even aimed at the right person... maybe they're just too stupid to look into what they actually hate.

Dragon Age Wiki article on Anders.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
WaywardHaymaker said:

I had Anders slightly hit on me and then ask if that was appropriate and I told him to stop and he did, for the WHOLE REST OF THE GAME. I got a slight rivalry hit from it, but it was no big deal. Fenris on the other hand made ABSOLUTELY NO PASSES ON ME WHAT-SO-EVER until I did my female rogue playthrough that was supposed to basically be Isabela as an archer and hit on him first.

So unless these people complaining about "gay" (and I use quotations because they're only gay if you make them, or you could just call them bisexual since they CAN swing both ways) companions accidentally flirted with them at one point, I think they're just grasping for shit to complain about, much like the douchebag that this article is about.

Korusho

Apr 4, 2011
Daemascus said:
This proves it. No matter what you do, you can never make everyone happy.
Doesn't it? The person who wrote the letter should be hit with a foam hammer upside the head.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Current standings:

Fire Gaider petition: 325 signatures
Support Gaider petition: 1,673 signatures

Faith in humanity: Reaffirmed. (Well, most of humanity anyway.)

Manoose47

Dec 8, 2010
This gamer is clearly a over-sensitive moron,
the game relationships sytem isn't even mildly offensive..
its just stupid.

Every male character in the game shouldn't wish to jump your bones in the game, Characters should have set sexual orientation, and "everyones bi sexual" doesn't count, ITS STUPID. take baldurs gate 2 romances for example, some characters weren't even available as romance options unless you were a specific race, because they just wouldn't find you attractive. Is this Racist? Hell NO! its realistic! it makes the game more interesting when romantic attraction is based on gender/race preferences and just something that occurs because your a player character.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Why can't we put aside our differences and play the game? Sure, i'm not gay. Yet, I love making gay couples in the sims. But this dude is making a fool of himself. People are people and they choose how to live. Not by other's opinions.