Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Daemascus said:
This proves it. No matter what you do, you can never make everyone happy.
Thats what brothels are for... well, at least thats what the general opinion is.

OT: Yeah, well, is there any way to do something nowadays without hurting someones feelings? I'd have to say, Deal with it. People are getting fired up over completely wrong things. Have gay sex in games? Bad. Don't have gay sex in games? Also bad.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
That...is actually really funny. You know, it's a game. It's not going to be perfect, it won't be true to life, and not everyone is the same with the same opinions. I really doubt you can make a game with relationships in it, and have the relationships function and progress the same as if it were life. They just can't do that. If he takes it that seriously, he needs to step away from the console for a while.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
Can I start a petition to allow us to slap people who start shit this stupid?
Seems like a futile exercise. Millions of people will sign it, all the stupid people will start a different petition, and the government will stop us because of that damn human rights stuff...
OT: Well, I've never played the game, but from what people are saying, it's a reflection of the character, not his sexuality.
Many people have pointed out that that's realistic for a real world romance. And that Anders reacts in the same way if you're playing as a female and you reject him.
Then there's the fact that apparently the other gay character doesn't get rivalry points if you reject him...
Obviously, it's a stupid claim (or he's just a troll), easily refutable, the guy won't be fired.
I'd actually really like to see someone find out who this is and troll him or something... Anonymous, you've been strangely quite for a while now. Get in on this.

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
The opposite attitude of the Gaygamer site, so that title is misleading. One "supposed" Gay Gamer wants him fired, and to be honest I don't believe he is I think he doesn't like that Gaider didn't back down when some homophobe decided to tell him and Bioware that homosexuality was disgusting and they neglected straight male gamers and how do do their jobs next time. I will say it again I do not believe the person who started that petition is gay.

If this was true then Zevran was a MUCH worse example of portraying gay / bisexual people, yet no petition was formed, and Gaider didn't write for Anders, it was another person, a woman whom I cant remember the name of at the moment.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
"As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I've witnessed the worst stereotype homosexual characters in this game. If you refused to make your moves on a gay character then you are received rivalry points for not wanting to be gay for the character," the petition states. "This is completely wrong, homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us, the person that wrote this game should be fired for stereotyping homosexuals in such a disrespectful way, as well as creating the worst writing in characters, plot and everything else in DA2."

This guy is a retard. I'm sorry, he just is. Yes, how DARE you Gaider! How DARE you present a singular homosexual in a specific way instead of trying to give him the supposed traits ALL homosexuals have! For shame! This is CLEARLY stereotyping! What you're doing, that is. I certainly am NOT guilty of any of that, seeing as how I want the homosexuals in your games to carry similar supposed traits instead of being true individuals...

God it's like holding a mirror up to another mirror. I can see for fucking ever...

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Didn't Mass Effect 2 remove gay relationships? I know that ME1 had 'em.

Complain about that.

Anyway, I haven't gotten rivalry points for spurning the advances of either of them.
Technically, ME1 didn't. Liara is part of a monogender species, so while it can be perceived as a lesbian relationship, it's technically not.

As for this petition, it seems a bit silly to me. What do they honestly hope to achieve?

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Xanthious said:
I'd personally like the entire staff that worked on that game fired. Not for any great social injustice though, but rather just because it was an abomination and isn't fit to wipe the ass of the other games Bioware has made in the past.
I'm really sick of people like you who will not let this one pass up. Everybody company has a bad egg. Look at any company and they all have one. Just quit complaining and realize that DA3 will be better.

OT: Doesn't everyone have sex on their mind? Its kinda hard for me see this as not being a troll, but who knows.

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Can people just find another game to shitstorm over? Dragon Age is a completely fine game. It's playable, it's interesting and the writing is Bioware standard. I'm tired of hearing "Them damn gays in my dragon age!" and "Those damn poorly portrayed gays in my dragon age!" It's so ridiculous.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Considering none of the romances are strictly gay or hetero, and that you gain rivalry points with some of the others if you reject them, this guy hasn't really got a leg to stand on.

May 5, 2010
1. Ha, internet petitions. Because they ALWAYS work, right?

2. Well, if there's two gay characters and only one of them acts stereotypical, then it's obviously not...what, racist? Sexist? Prejudiced, there we go. Like, it's not racist to say that SOME black people like watermelon. Obviously. It's only racist if I say that ALL black people like watermelon.

The same principle applies here. Obviously, flirtatious gay people EXIST. That doesn't mean that all gay people are flirtatious.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I haven't played DA2, so if my assumptions are wrong based on the bit I know, please correct me (but don't be a dick about it)

But if there are 2 gay characters, and you get rivalry points for one for dismissing his advances, but the other doesn't, isn't that less a stereotype and more of a character design? Here you have a man infatuated with another, and when you turn him down he gets upset at you, he hates you. Think about that. Say you're straight and you flirt with a girl you have a crush on, you throw her a nice one liner you made just for her and she rejects you, how would you feel? Upset, right? And when you're upset, you tend to get a little more angry. Sure sometimes you instead fall for them harder, but if you cared about someone and they kept turning you down you'd be upset at them. Especially because them hitting on you and you turning them down would create an odd rift in the friendship.

I don't see this as a stereotype at all, in fact, I see it as a character portrayed as normal as anyone out there, someone who has a crush on someone and letting that person know, and being upset at the rift being created that grows farther and farther apart in size the more they try, them being the instigator of the rift and being human, not wanting to take acceptance of this. That's as normal human as you can get if you ask me

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
wow, I really wish this was a troll, but I have a feeling its not... Stupidity knows no bounds...

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
The opposite attitude of the Gaygamer site, so that title is misleading. One "supposed" Gay Gamer wants him fired, and to be honest I don't believe he is I think he doesn't like that Gaider didn't back down when some homophobe decided to tell him and Bioware that homosexuality was disgusting and they neglected straight male gamers and how do do their jobs next time. I will say it again I do not believe the person who started that petition is gay.

If this was true then Zevran was a MUCH worse example of portraying gay / bisexual people, yet no petition was formed, and Gaider didn't write for Anders, it was another person, a woman whom I cant remember the name of at the moment.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
There is a simple argument that one could use for both the 'straight argument' and the 'non-straight argument'.

Don't like the game? Don't play the game.

Di'kut

Mar 28, 2011
While Gaider is far from talented, I think this is the least of the problems with the game. And even more so, Hamburger Helper should be fired before him, she's far more responsible for fucking with Dragon Age 2s story than him. ***** doesn't even like videogames.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Actual said:
More importantly; ANDERS ISN'T GAY!

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.
I wouldn't say fiercely, but he does say:
All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
He was also a grey warden, much more light-hearted, had ser pounce-a-lot and wasn't possessed by Justice...a lot happened since awakening...

EDIT: There seems to have been a change of writer with David Gaider as head writer, but not specifically writing for Anders (via http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Anders)
David Gaider was the original writer for Anders in Awakening, but Jennifer Hepler took over the role for Dragon Age II.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Too similar to the "bacon of light" troll. Did not try hard enough. Although, I can't blame him since Bioware are too easy to troll. Blizzard on the other hand take more work.