Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Anders in Awakening was Alistair in a dress. And I never particularly cared for Alistair to begin with.
As far as I'm concerned, Anders was a far more interesting character in DA2.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
... I'm bi and I'm offended by this gay gamers claims. They didn't seem to pissed about Zev in DA:O.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
He is stereotyping himself by saying "Homosexuals are like this, not like that!". People are people, and people are different, regardless of their sexuality.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
if anything, this is just more proof that people are people, regardless of their sexual proclivities - and that sometimes, people are stupid.
/supported

Seriously, that's quite a load of bullshit and frankly smells more like a troll than a legitimate complaint. Person taking a certain amount of dislike to you because they find you attractive and you blow them off? That's not normal? Is that guy for real?

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Jesus guys way to take one step forward and two steps back. Seriously the gay community needs to get its act together and figure out what the hell we actually want. This guy is just painting us ALL in a negative light.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
I got through the whole of the game carefuly guiding my way around the romance with Anders. Never gained a single rivalry point that way.

Now Merril, on the other hand. Christ, it was either let her move and have a relationship, or tell her to piss off and make her get angry at you. God dammit, I mean, it's not like I had sex with Isabella the night before or anything...

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Hai. I'm a bicurious man. I did not feel like I was forced into a homosexual relationship. I also did not feel like the game was homophobic nor enforced homosexual stereotypes, except for the "pretty boy" Fenris. But he was just an emo Zevran with a gravely voice instead of a smooth silky.... sorry? What? Eh? Oh yes sorry.. I enjoyed the game and enjoyed immersing myself into the city and story. Why do people feel the need to raise their pitchforks over trivial matters.

I would love to see a petition of Gay gamers who *don't* think the writer should be fired.

You only hear about anger. Never enjoyment.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Idiotic action by the gamer. One only to show exactly why society hasn't moved forward very far on approaching different sexualities.

Real shame this IDIOT showed up in my opinion.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Well, you know, I personally think people are stupid.

"YOU SIR, EVEN THOUGH YOU MADE A FLESHED OUT CHARACTER, YOU SHOULD BE FIRED BECAUSE HE WAS HURT BY BEING TURNED DOWN".

Yes mr gay gamer. People don't like being turned down. It happens.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Didn't Mass Effect 2 remove gay relationships? I know that ME1 had 'em.

Complain about that.

Anyway, I haven't gotten rivalry points for spurning the advances of either of them.
Technically, ME1 had no gay relationships, Asari are gender neutral, or have both, not sure, have not read the codex in a while.

Back to the point, I have not met a gay man that was not a stereotype. But that's just me. The writing in DA2 was not THAT bad, just the reusing of areas was the real big thing. And the Supplier achievement not unlocking for me despite having all the resources(not from emporium either).

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
I just wish people could shut up about DA2, some loved it, some hated it, same as ANY other game
Except its a big deal because its by bioware, ok then
OT: I don't think anders was a stereotypical gay, I thinks he's reading into his personality a bit. He's very flirty because thats his personality not because he is gay

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Well I totally understand where he's coming from.

How can you be friends with someone if they won't suck your dick?[/sarcasm]

But seriously, I'm still having troube understanding why we need sex in games anyway.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm quite willing to bet that the "Homosexual Playing Dragon Age 2" is, in fact, a troll of some bred. Anyway, obviously, everyone is different and saying that an Ander's-type person doesn't exist is just silly; plus, rejecting someone isn't going to make them your friend, lets be honest. Certainly never endeared any women to me.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Irridium said:
Remember those romances? How they were deep, and intricate, and you had to work for them? How it wasn't just 3 conversations, then sex.
Wait, since when was that a bad thing?

OT: This is just obscene, if you can't please one group of gamers you somehow please another and vise versa. Better to just shoot for the largest group and hope it hits the target. But what do I know, I don't work at Bioware.

Hydro14

Sep 23, 2010
Since I don't know how to use spoiler tags I'm going to have to phrase this post in very vague terms.

There is a reason why Anders pursues Hawke aggressively and it's not because he's bisexual. It's more to do with him being flawed in other ways. I don't think his efforts to get close to Hawke even have anything to do with sexual attraction, particularly considering the events in the chantry.

(Think I left that appropriately vague for people who haven't played the game.)

This guy is, in my opinion, looking for a problem where there's none to be found.

Also, is it possible that party members pursue a romantic engagement with Hawke to a different degree depending on how you play the character everywhere as well as just directly interacting with them? I must be doing something wrong 'cos on both my play-throughs only Fenris has tried and his efforts seemed half-hearted at best.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
TwistedEllipsis said:
I wouldn't say fiercely, but he does say:
All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
He was also a grey warden, much more light-hearted, had ser pounce-a-lot and wasn't possessed by Justice...a lot happened since awakening...

EDIT: There seems to have been a change of writer with David Gaider as head writer, but not specifically writing for Anders (via http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Anders)
David Gaider was the original writer for Anders in Awakening, but Jennifer Hepler took over the role for Dragon Age II.
There is also a humorous conversation between Anders and Oghren where Oghren claims that Anders hatred for the templars comes from being sexually molested by a male templar. Anders' response is "Ewwwwww!"

Plus I'm pretty sure that Anders hits on every female who he's put in a party with and never hits on the males, unless you count his and Orghren's beautiful bromance.

Ser-Pounce Alot was another thing that annoyed me; Anders was a hero who fought the darkspawn threat when all other Warders in the area were dead and he was also a close personal friend of the Warden Commander of the area, who the hell would be able to force him to give up the cat!? Did the First Warder issue a decree that Anders' cat needs to be taken away!?

Jaranja said:
Actual said:
Although Fenris was OK when you turned him down he didn't stop. No fenris I'm still not gay, fuck off. ...(ten minutes later).... Goddamnint no! I'm not gay yet!

And the fact that both Fenris' and Anders' advances come out of nowhere without any hint that you're interested in them. Who does that!? The only people I can think of are sleazebags.

More importantly; ANDERS ISN'T GAY!

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.
There are romances in Awakening? I hated Anders in DA2. He's just so in your face.

However, I loved Fenris' character. He was great. I'm a bit sad he never flirted with me, even after I did his companion quests and whatnot.

I went with Merril... She's lovely... And that voice...
Sorry, there aren't any actual playable romances in Awakenings, that I'm aware of. See above for what I'm basing my statements on. I'm also a little it in love with Merril, but she is also the only choice for a male hetero character. Isabella is just foul, and I'm not sure you can come between Aveline and her crush, even if I wanted to.

reddfawks

Jul 29, 2010
If they were "disrespectfully stereotyping homosexuals", then the game wouldn't have Anders go into a rage with those glowy eyes...Instead, he'd yell "FAAAABULOUS!" and throw a handful of glitter in a templar's face.

...Actually, I'd like to see that.