Gearbox Can't Increase Borderlands 2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
GonzoGamer said:
RedDeadFred said:
Supermane1985 said:
That's bull. Anyone played the most recent DLC and agree with this? I've got multiple level 50 characters and some of the new Level 53 enemies are crazy hard even with a good skills combo and full loadout of legendary weapons. Current endgame design basically requires good co-op partners, an increased level cap may strain an xbox's hardware but no way would it break the game for 95% of players. Regardless, they could have let people know this from the start instead of letting us expect the cap raise for 6 months. Very poor form Gearbox, I expected more from you.
Did you even read the article? This obviously isn't something they anticipated. Also, the end game isn't THAT hard. With the right loadouts for each area/raid boss you can solo anything. Sure it may be challenging but what the fuck is the point of playing if you can just roll over everything like in the first game?
Actually, after reading the article, some of the issues seem like things they should've anticipated: like how certain perks might clash or make the character OP. They should've seen that coming at least. It seems like they put a lot of thought into the perks and how they could cap off at 50...just not beyond?
Still, not the biggest deal in the world. At this point I have three characters to completely play through the game with and some really bitchin lv 50 hardware.
The guy I quoted replied to me with the same thing. While I agree that they seem to have realized the balance issues, that doesn't seem to be the major thing preventing them from increasing the level cap. The unanticipated issue is that it could literally break the game. That's what I was referring to. Balance issues can be adjusted by nerfing certain skills when used in combination with others. That doesn't seem to be the major issue.
Sorry.
Also, the same thing (re, perks & guns) happened with B1 when General Knoxx came out and few seemed to mind.
It does seem like there would be issues "under the hood" to raise the cap. Still, it seems like they should've tested for this kind of thing in the initial development...especially considering the level 50 achievement/trophy is something like "capped off...for now" isn't it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
If I'd known they had no intention of increasing the level cap, I wouldn't have bought the Season Pass in the first place.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Sounds like an excuse to me.

My initial thought here is that they never should have released the game with the intent of creating 4 DLC packs if they knew their game balance was wonky enough where they could never have the game progress in a way that would justify that content, given that an RPG like this is all about leveling up and accumulating bigger and better loot.

He's good at articulating problems, but at this point it's a situation where Gearbox should be looking for solutions, and if it doesn't find them with this reveal, it will kind of be deserving of any scorn it gets from this point on. To me doing this kind of DLC right from the beginning, selling season passes, and then saying "oh hey, we can't really have you advance any more than we set up initially, because of the way we designed and balanced the game... our bad" is the kind of garbage that makes me hate the game industry.

One day I am waiting for a game developer to release a pack of Level 51 weapons for an RPG in a game capped at level 50. People will download it, find they can't equip them (since they still require level 51, as opposed to just giving you weapons 1 level higher), complain, and then after enough glorious QQing come out and saying "thanks for your $$$, the weapons are working as intended, and we have no intention of raising the level cap since it would unbalance our game, the content does nothing for your advancement or character progression, but boy do we love money! The proceeds to this DLC are going towards mink toilet-seat covers for our studio labs...."

Gearbox is nothing quite so bad here, but that's the next level up, and I am indeed waiting for something spiritually similar to happen... and have been since before this article. The sad thing is, if done with the right franchise people would still fanatically support it for installments to come. :)

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Um, destroy the balance, Too powerfull?

Yes please, since the game comes to a goddamn grind courtesy of the fact that i need thousand of bullets for every enemy making every battle a chore.

At least to me it is no fun to shoot and shoot and have nearly every little character nearly destroy you becaue they just shrug of most of the bullets and abilitys and walk up to us shooting all the time and destroying your shield in an instant.
We are as far as waiting for our main ability to cool down and then to throw them at the enemy cause that is the only thing that actually has any effect.

Weapons are just useless at level 50. If you find ne that has some effect it is most likely not of the type one personally likes to use.

I don not really think this games "endgame" is really well balanced.

Don't know why we go back into it every weekend, though.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I kept telling my friend that but he said that couldn't be the reason. I knew it, after playing all 5 characters to at least 10 levels started to see that, reading all the skill trees.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
PortalThinker113 said:
wulfy42 said:
Ok this is just silly.

First..only 16% of players hit the current cap of lvl 50? So only 16% of players like the game basically?
This is what confuses me a little.

I love the game. I've put 50 hours into it, finishing the main quest and the first two DLCs along with a bunch of side quests. I still have not reached the level cap with my single character. Am I doing it wrong? I keep seeing people talk about how easy it is to hit the cap, and I'm really not all that close after 50 hours of one character...
lol I'm the same way. not even that close to 50, but I guess I've come nowhere near the number of hours my friends online have put in...

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
They are actually right, in that it would ruin the game's challenge when backtracking to old areas. It was basically impossible to stay at the right dungeon level in all B1 expansions with a single character, you had to reroll and take a completely different path.

I bet player would just be content with having an on-screen level number going up with no gameplay consequences whatsoever, aka filling up a bar. :D

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
wulfy42 said:
Ok this is just silly.

First..only 16% of players hit the current cap of lvl 50? So only 16% of players like the game basically?
That is a strawman... That is like saying "people that don't prestige don't play Call of Duty".

Even counting only those that completed the game, most people finished it at about level 35. To reach level 50 after that would require a commitment most people don't do, including replaying the campaign in true vault until about halfway to the finish.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
duchaked said:
PortalThinker113 said:
wulfy42 said:
Ok this is just silly.

This is what confuses me a little.

I love the game. I've put 50 hours into it, finishing the main quest and the first two DLCs along with a bunch of side quests. I still have not reached the level cap with my single character. Am I doing it wrong? I keep seeing people talk about how easy it is to hit the cap, and I'm really not all that close after 50 hours of one character...
lol I'm the same way. not even that close to 50, but I guess I've come nowhere near the number of hours my friends online have put in...
The most common way is to reach 35 during the normal campaign. Once you reached the end game and replay it on true vault hunter mode, its fairly fast to reach level 50, especially if you play with higher level players, since that affect how much XP your team gets from normal enemies.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Fappy said:
I personally like making new characters once I have hit the apex of a previous character's potential. Is this something the player base is really adamant about? Sounds kind of silly to me.
You and I my friend, but you'll be surprised at how many people just want to keep leveling, instead of even bothering to create a brand new character. Personally I don't mind, better know ahead of time that the level cap will be kept at 50, better than having to deal with the dreaded Power Creep.

krisboats

Feb 14, 2013
Its such a load of rubbish. If you spend 10 minutes on google and have a usb pen you can unlock the entire skill tree on xbox for each character. One of my characters has the entire skill tree along with over 500% on each badass rank bonus. You can even donwload profiles that have all tge legendary items and skins and play through with those. Upon telling my friends we played a 4 player game with these super characters and guess what. Nobodies xbox blew up. No massive amounts of lag, just a bit of stutter and nothing more than can happen in the game normally without a super character. I know it doesnt represent that it wont ever do that, but after a good 20+ hrs of 4 player with these characters we havent had any issues that are out of the norm.

But hey, if they raise the level cap before this season pass runs out nobody will pay more. Wonder if they'll find the miracle fix after the 4th content comes out and release iy as an add on to get more money?

krisboats

Feb 14, 2013
Its such a load of rubbish. If you spend 10 minutes on google and have a usb pen you can unlock the entire skill tree on xbox for each character. One of my characters has the entire skill tree along with over 500% on each badass rank bonus. You can even donwload profiles that have all tge legendary items and skins and play through with those. Upon telling my friends we played a 4 player game with these super characters and guess what. Nobodies xbox blew up. No massive amounts of lag, just a bit of stutter and nothing more than can happen in the game normally without a super character. I know it doesnt represent that it wont ever do that, but after a good 20+ hrs of 4 player with these characters we havent had any issues that are out of the norm.

But hey, if they raise the level cap before this season pass runs out nobody will pay more. Wonder if they'll find the miracle fix after the 4th content comes out and release iy as an add on to get more money?

chozo_ninpo

Feb 14, 2013
Every time I kill something or turn something in @ level 50, I feel like I'm wasting EXP.

Need an increase just to give me reason to finish the DLC.

Chozo Ninpo
Channel Zero
http://thezerolevel.com

X10Unit1

Dec 28, 2011
He told a lie. He knows it, we know it. It has been mentioned in a few of these comments, there have been hackers that have all three skill trees maxed and use black weapons(modded) and it doesn't break the game.

But what it does is point out the issue with the leveling system, it is exponential. For both you and the enemies. The sad thing; the enemies have better exponential growth than the player character does. BL2 already suffers from some enemy that are bullet sponges that can one shot well equipped players. Well, the bullet sponges is only going to get worse, plus at that point all enemies are going to one shot you with higher levels. Not fun at all.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this game. I have almost 5 lvl 50 characters. I didn't get one maxed out character in BL1 and I loved that game!